V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Australian
 Drag Racing
 Brett Stevens Racing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

rotax racer
Formula Ford Driver

Australia
263 Posts
joined 28 Jun 05

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  13:42:37  Show Profile  Visit rotax racer's Homepage Send rotax racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Getting big must of hirt Austarlias biggest race team to close doors

Brett Stevens Retires
(Wednesday, 10 December 2008) by Rob Sharp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The biggest name in Australian Drag Racing, Brett Stevens, today announced he will retire from full time race driving and cease operating his team at the end of 2008 after a long and highly decorated career.

Stevens, 43, leaves the sport as one of the most successful and influential professional racers in it’s history. Over a career spanning 18 years, he has multiple National Championships, World Records, National Records and Strip Records to his and his team’s name.

In addition to his on-track presence, Stevens also single-handedly changed the face of the sport with his new levels of showmanship and professionalism off the track that have helped make him into an Australian motorsport icon.

Stevens said that the decision had been an extremely difficult one to make.

“This is one of the biggest decisions of my life and it has not come easily. I’ve put a lot of thought into it and for those that know me and my passion for the sport, my fans, my team and my sponsors would know how difficult this has been.”

“I am extremely proud of what I have accomplished as a professional racer and I am at the point of my career where I am at the top. Retirement is not something that I have considered until recently however I have always promised myself that if I wasn’t enjoying myself and the challenges that the sport presented I would step aside.”

“Over many years I have also been the subject of many malicious and false rumour and innuendo, including personal attacks and threats on myself, my family, employees and sponsors which are taking an unprecedented toll on both my personal and professional wellbeing.”

“I have made a decision now though to look to the future for both myself and my family, and while this decision ends one phase of my career, I’m confident it will also open doors to many new opportunities.”

“I have made some fantastic lifelong friendships throughout my career in motorsport and I want to thank everyone who has accompanied, supported and inspired me over the years, including my fans, sponsors and crew. Above all, a special thanks goes to my wife Kath and my daughter Skye, who have given me the strength to do what I have done.”

Operating at the elite levels of the sport, in 2008 Stevens commanded the largest motorsport team in the country and the largest Drag Racing team anywhere in the world with 10 Group One vehicles. He is also the only person in the world to compete in three professional Drag Racing brackets simultaneously; Top Bike, Top Doorslammer and Top Alcohol.

A motor mechanic by trade, Stevens began his long and successful career as a drag racer in 1990 when he travelled to the United States and purchased his first Nitro Harley Top Fuel Motorcycle from good friend and Drag Racing legend, the late Jim McClure.

In 1993 his team first became known as Jack Daniel’s Racing in a relationship that still stands today lasting 15 years. Over that time Stevens developed one of the most feared reputations on the drag strip for his racing innovations and skills on both 2 and 4 wheels.

As well as a plethora of achievements within the sport, he has also been anointed with the Australian Sports Medal for his contributions to motorsport as well as being an inaugural inductee into the Australian Motorcycle Hall of Fame.

In 29 National Championships contested across 3 professional race brackets spanning his illustrious career, Stevens never finished outside the top 6 with 3 National Championships, 8 runner ups, 7 third places, 6 fourth places, 3 fifth places and 2 sixth places to his name. He also made an incredible 70 Final Round appearances.

Stevens also devotes a lot of his time and resources to charity involvements including the Kids with Cancer Foundation and the Leukaemia Foundation of which he is an Official Patron.

http://www.andra.com.au/article.asp?Id=1500

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
12587 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  13:55:03  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
so why is he retiring ??

Im kind of a big deal
Go to Top of Page

blueblood
Transporter Driver

95 Posts
joined 04 Nov 04

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  14:27:33  Show Profile Send blueblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I guess the same reason he wasnt at the recent perth round. Lack of $$$$$$.

Its a shame when a sport loses a star, but I guess it happens in all sports eventually.

Been a great ride while it lasted Brett. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

laser
Administrator

Australia
17352 Posts
joined 01 Aug 01

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  14:34:45  Show Profile  Visit laser's Homepage Send laser a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have a PR that is not on Brett's site yet, but two interesting paragraphs are:
quote:

"All of my sponsorships were still in place and despite the tough economic
times, our 2008/2009 racing budgets had been re-worked to allow the team to
complete the season."

"However on-going malicious and false rumour and innuendo were taking an
unprecedented toll on both me and my family's personal and professional
wellbeing, and I was no longer enjoying racing as much."

So my initial reaction was dollars, but it sounds like it wasn't the case here.

V8Central WebMaster - Our motto is If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all

RIP05
_Mvolvo
Go to Top of Page

Pod 3:16
Cunning Linguist

Australia
764 Posts
joined 17 Feb 03

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  19:08:45  Show Profile  Click to see Pod 3:16's MSN Messenger address Send Pod 3:16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Now I'm not saying this is fact, but one of the truckies who regularly picks up from my work volunteers at the drags in Perth, and he mentioned to me a few weeks back that Jack Daniels had pulled their sponsorship from his team due to Brett hitting someone in a senior position with Jack Daniels. Apparently Brett has a problem with alcohol and he tends to get aggressive. As I said I don't know if this is the case or not, but that is just what I've been told. If the mods feel this is defamatory then feel free to delete this post.

DILLIGAF
Go to Top of Page

elfin 83
Pit Crew

185 Posts
joined 07 Jun 08

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  21:23:13  Show Profile  Visit elfin 83's Homepage Send elfin 83 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think todays nine news explains why he shut the doors so quickly!!!!!!!!!!!

(DRUG BUST)
Go to Top of Page

DRB05
Team Manager

Australia
3469 Posts
joined 04 Apr 08

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  22:10:44  Show Profile Send DRB05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
he deserved it.

Member 3 - Church of Ambroseology

Edited by - DRB05 on 03 Feb 2009 22:11:30
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
12587 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  08:11:47  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by XR-351c

he deserved it.

i agree

Im kind of a big deal
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
7466 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  08:19:24  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Do we hang the guy first then take him to court, or is it the other way round?
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
12587 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  08:28:29  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

Do we hang the guy first then take him to court, or is it the other way round?

nah hang him first

Im kind of a big deal
Go to Top of Page

DRB05
Team Manager

Australia
3469 Posts
joined 04 Apr 08

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  08:34:50  Show Profile Send DRB05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
he's always been known to be a bit of a shady bloke and when the cops come and find all that stuff at your joint then i don't reckon theres much chance he is innocent.

Member 3 - Church of Ambroseology
Go to Top of Page

rocks harder
Pit Crew

Australia
241 Posts
joined 09 Dec 08

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  16:04:31  Show Profile Send rocks harder a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
he purchased the wps transporter and was going to build a new car then he just shut the team all of a sudden, we now know why. with all that gear you wonder why he needed sponsors.

_Mnissan
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
12587 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  16:22:03  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25007467-3102,00.html

he got bail

Im kind of a big deal
Go to Top of Page

HRTKLR
No.1 Ford Fan

Australia
8745 Posts
joined 20 Dec 02

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  22:39:40  Show Profile Send HRTKLR a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I heard that another 6 Australian drag racers (well known to those who follow ANDRA Championship Drag Racing) are implicated in this.

My guess is the cops will be manoeuvering to get them to finger Stevens.

Edited by - HRTKLR on 04 Feb 2009 22:46:02
Go to Top of Page

bludvl
Formula Ford Driver

432 Posts
joined 27 Mar 08

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  00:25:24  Show Profile Send bludvl a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by rocks harder

he purchased the wps transporter and was going to build a new car then he just shut the team all of a sudden, we now know why. with all that gear you wonder why he needed sponsors.

To make it appear legit...imagine if I rocked up one day with a Doorslammer, a top fuel bike and a Funny Car, but no sponsors. And did it at the next round. And the one after that, again with no sponsors....now, aside from my shady looks, how is that going to appear?

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced.

That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
12587 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  07:57:52  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
wasnt there a fella called romeo something who got pinged about 8year ago also, who was well know in the drag racing circle ?

Im kind of a big deal
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  

Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2014 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds.