V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CAMS National Racing Series
 General CAMS Series
 GT Crash at the GP
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

panoptic
Formula Ford Driver

497 Posts
joined 09 Dec 08

Posted - 27 Mar 2010 :  19:13:44  Show Profile Send panoptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I noticed there was dust all up the main straight during qualy for the F1. And they said it was from a big accident in a porsche race, I can only assume they meant the GT Championship?

Does anyone know what happened? And all is ok?

Mr.McPhillamy
Team Manager

Australia
6472 Posts
joined 03 Jan 09

Posted - 27 Mar 2010 :  20:12:18  Show Profile Send Mr.McPhillamy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I figured that too.

And seeing as Martin called it a Porsche race, I assume it was either the lead pack Porsches or some of the cup cars further back?

Another thing I noticed is that the Oz GT's aren't on Natsoft? Does that mean this crash was on lap 1 and the race was abandoned? pretty bad if so.

Nothing on the website yet.

Edit:
Just checked the GP program and the GT's were on after the minis and practice 3 - right before qualifying.
Which, not being on natsoft - I guess means it was a big crash on lap 1 and the race was cancelled...

Edited by - Mr.McPhillamy on 27 Mar 2010 20:14:37
Go to Top of Page

panoptic
Formula Ford Driver

497 Posts
joined 09 Dec 08

Posted - 27 Mar 2010 :  22:16:55  Show Profile Send panoptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah that's what I figured to. If it was a big one at that point on the track I would imagine it could not have been to good.

Hope everyone was OK. If it takes more than ten minutes to clean something I would imagine they would can the event as they won't want to run late.
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17272 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 27 Mar 2010 :  23:12:12  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
brilliant coverage by channel 1/10... perhaps they hoped we wouldn't find out about it but the F1 guys spoilt that...

Go to Top of Page

panoptic
Formula Ford Driver

497 Posts
joined 09 Dec 08

Posted - 27 Mar 2010 :  23:20:13  Show Profile Send panoptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Channel ten are hopeless. Did anyone notice in the V8's first race that at the end of the race when they showed highlights, about 50% of what was seen in that, we did not see?
Go to Top of Page

Mr.McPhillamy
Team Manager

Australia
6472 Posts
joined 03 Jan 09

Posted - 27 Mar 2010 :  23:59:40  Show Profile Send Mr.McPhillamy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Haha yeap.

Yeah - they can races for track damage and stuff at the Clipsal all the time.

I imagine F1's time rules would be 500x as strict. They shortened the other GT race for 1 SC period!

Yeah, that part of the track can only mean 1 thing - pile up.
Hope everyones A-OK and no cars written off either.
Go to Top of Page

bludvl
Fujitsu Driver

622 Posts
joined 27 Mar 08

Posted - 28 Mar 2010 :  01:13:36  Show Profile Send bludvl a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There was a big pile up at the start when the Aston went into limp mode, and the crash was caused when the cars behind tried to avoid. It was called SC before they reached turn one, and red flagged before they got to Turn 12. Noone was hurt (that I was aware of) but there were a few cars that looked sorry for themselves afterwards, including the Audi, which copped some passing damage down the LHS, but kepy up with the field.

Every event at the GP is time critical, there are that many things that simply cannot be delayed at all, not just the F1's on the circuit either.

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'
-George Santayana
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17272 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 28 Mar 2010 :  09:24:15  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
perhaps if they used the time that was available to them rather than the fluffing around they wouldn't have to cut other races short... oh well... just good that no-one got hurt...

===================

OUCH!!!

that stack with the Porsche and Bowe car looked majorly nasty... how could he have passed the car the previous lap and then hit it?? didn't the yellow alert him the problem was still there??

i understand the red mist is on when you race but that was crazy... the air that the Porsche got was amazing...

amazing too finally getting to see the accident from yesterday... perhaps it is proving that we are trying to be too smart in the engineering rather than using a simple mechanical linkage?

Edited by - Sonic on 28 Mar 2010 14:13:22
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22476 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 28 Mar 2010 :  15:08:43  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Gotta agree Sonic.
If the cable or linkage breaks, it's pretty simple to replace and you also know it's fixed!!
Go to Top of Page

panoptic
Formula Ford Driver

497 Posts
joined 09 Dec 08

Posted - 28 Mar 2010 :  15:46:57  Show Profile Send panoptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah I can't believe the air that guy got over Johns car. woa! Crazy stuff.

Go to Top of Page

PVDA
Team Manager

2557 Posts
joined 02 Nov 02

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  13:37:55  Show Profile Send PVDA a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I only saw the start of the Race 1 pile up as I was a bit busy ducking for cover once Cini bounced back into the pack.

If it ends up on YouTube if you look carefully on the left side you'll spot the marshal ducking for cover, that would be me....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.33 seconds.