V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 V8Supercars Australia
 V8Supercar Series
 Would you go if....
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

hoffy
Fujitsu Driver

529 Posts
joined 01 Jan 02

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  11:33:55  Show Profile  Click to see hoffy's MSN Messenger address Send hoffy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, this is a purely hypothetical question, but hey.....its just a thought.

Would you go to the V8's Race day(or days) if the ticket price for General Admission was around $30, but the tradeback is all that is on the cards is V8 qualifying and V8 race (or races), I.E., no support categories at all.

Just curious, thats all.

If you don't friggen like it, why do you watch it?

bb
Team Manager

3779 Posts
joined 17 Oct 05

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  11:42:54  Show Profile Send bb a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes.

_Mamg
Go to Top of Page

rusty3908
BANNED

2016 Posts
joined 28 Jan 11

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  12:04:33  Show Profile  Visit rusty3908's Homepage Send rusty3908 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes... although there would be quite a bit of walking to do around the pits or paddock to arrest the boredom one would attract with the length of time between practice or qualifying sessions without those support categories filling in the gaps.

Thanks for that Madaz
Another cheap shot by a Ford fan whose immunity to punishment is unbelievable
All the best to the following: HDT, Hypno, Crikey, Skaifeman, Willsy, Donkman
Go Holden, Souths and the Cats
Go to Top of Page

hoffy
Fujitsu Driver

529 Posts
joined 01 Jan 02

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  12:20:09  Show Profile  Click to see hoffy's MSN Messenger address Send hoffy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by rusty3908

Yes... although there would be quite a bit of walking to do around the pits or paddock to arrest the boredom one would attract with the length of time between practice or qualifying sessions without those support categories filling in the gaps.

OK, put it this way. It's race day. They run qualifying, have a 30 minute or hour break and then run the race - similar to the kind of setup you see at the speedway, so a program is done and dusted in no more then a 3 hour period.

Go to Top of Page

The Spud
BANNED

Australia
317 Posts
joined 09 Feb 11

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  12:22:05  Show Profile Send The Spud a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I dont really think that the support races add to the total cost of running the event anyway. It's the infrustructure cost at street events and track owners trying to make a buck at permanent circuits that drives up the cost.

There's no practical reason why practice and qualifying couldn't be within an hour of each other and then the race an hour after that. Fill the gaps with stunt bikes and amybe a ute race and you've got your day filled.

I only go to events to watch the V8's anyway so whilst fromula fords and porsches racing each other appeals to some, I'd be happy to stick to the V8's. Give them a couple of hour sessions to practice, why not. The teams drag all their gear across the country or world and set up so why not get maximum track time.
Go to Top of Page

JGR01
Team Manager

Australia
2157 Posts
joined 15 May 08

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  12:23:21  Show Profile Send JGR01 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes
Go to Top of Page

Trev
formerly known as Big Trev

Australia
4726 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  12:23:25  Show Profile Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

hoffy
Fujitsu Driver

529 Posts
joined 01 Jan 02

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  12:27:50  Show Profile  Click to see hoffy's MSN Messenger address Send hoffy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by The Spud

I dont really think that the support races add to the total cost of running the event anyway. It's the infrustructure cost at street events and track owners trying to make a buck at permanent circuits that drives up the cost.

There's no practical reason why practice and qualifying couldn't be within an hour of each other and then the race an hour after that. Fill the gaps with stunt bikes and amybe a ute race and you've got your day filled.

I only go to events to watch the V8's anyway so whilst fromula fords and porsches racing each other appeals to some, I'd be happy to stick to the V8's. Give them a couple of hour sessions to practice, why not. The teams drag all their gear across the country or world and set up so why not get maximum track time.

Yeah, I got to admit that for the street races, you couldn't get away with it. Simply the costs of setting up the event goes a long way to the ticket prices.

I was actually thinking along the lines of say running a night/twilight race at QR or similar tracks.

As for the price, I am comparing it against say an AFL game and the kind of ticket prices you may pay (mind you, its been a long time since I have seen an AFL game, so I am kind of guessing)

Edited by - hoffy on 23 Feb 2011 12:30:02
Go to Top of Page

bb
Team Manager

3779 Posts
joined 17 Oct 05

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  12:29:14  Show Profile Send bb a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well look at how many went to the test day at EC, that was only V8's.

_Mamg
Go to Top of Page

JGR01
Team Manager

Australia
2157 Posts
joined 15 May 08

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  12:45:23  Show Profile Send JGR01 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bb

Well look at how many went to the test day at EC, that was only V8's.

Good point. I also remember the old days at Surfers, when the indy cars came on the crowds left. They realised this and then put the last V8 race after the indy cars so people would actually stick around!
Go to Top of Page

TJ85
Formula Ford Driver

Australia
477 Posts
joined 29 Nov 07

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  12:51:52  Show Profile Send TJ85 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No, mainly because I would be bored witless in the break times, partially because the V8's alone dont really appeal to me. It's too big a trek to get to a circuit just to watch one race series intermittently, and I like watching almost any type of motorsport - (FVees are a bit hard at times)

Support categories have to pay to get on the bill - helping bring the days costs down. Not having them means gate takings would need to be higher. You can't hire a circuit for an hour period or half day typically, and teams would be under the pump to turn the cars around so it wouldn't be much fun for them. Just saying that it would be pretty hard to get going in the current environment.

I do see where you are coming from, just not my thing.

Edited by - TJ85 on 23 Feb 2011 12:53:27
Go to Top of Page

ford71
Pit Crew

220 Posts
joined 12 Oct 05

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  13:05:13  Show Profile  Visit ford71's Homepage Send ford71 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Are there still chicks in lycra walking around?
Go to Top of Page

hoffy
Fujitsu Driver

529 Posts
joined 01 Jan 02

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  13:24:57  Show Profile  Click to see hoffy's MSN Messenger address Send hoffy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by TJ85

No, mainly because I would be bored witless in the break times, partially because the V8's alone dont really appeal to me. It's too big a trek to get to a circuit just to watch one race series intermittently, and I like watching almost any type of motorsport - (FVees are a bit hard at times)

Support categories have to pay to get on the bill - helping bring the days costs down. Not having them means gate takings would need to be higher. You can't hire a circuit for an hour period or half day typically, and teams would be under the pump to turn the cars around so it wouldn't be much fun for them. Just saying that it would be pretty hard to get going in the current environment.

I do see where you are coming from, just not my thing.

Yep, I get that. And you are damn right, the powers that be would have to come to the party for this kind of thing to work. And yes, I am sure it would be a challenge for them to say C H E A P E R fees (but that is why I say hypothetically!)

Go to Top of Page

HDT05
Team Manager

Australia
6165 Posts
joined 15 Feb 11

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  13:58:53  Show Profile Send HDT05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would not go because the support classes are good to watch also.

Peter Brock 1945 - 2006 RIP #05
RIP Dale Earnhardt 1951 - 2001 #3
RIP Dan Wheldon 1978 - 2011
RIP Jason Richards 1976 - 2011
Go to Top of Page

the undertaker
Team Manager

New Zealand
2257 Posts
joined 08 Nov 09

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  14:22:52  Show Profile Send the undertaker a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No
Go to Top of Page

TheArrow
formerly known as Spree

Australia
4180 Posts
joined 14 Jan 08

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  15:53:25  Show Profile Send TheArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sadly, I don't know if I'd go either.

The last few years I've kind of lost a lot of interest in the V8 Supercars. I still watch races, but I don't go to any anymore, and I don't know as much about them anymore either.

Watching the NASCAR race on the w/e proved what real racing is. Plenty of action, strategy, good racing. Not nose-to-tail-no-passing. (At least the nose-to-tail was actually producing passing in the NASCAR race.)

So my answer would probably be no. I'd save up for a NASCAR round instead

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2014 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.06 seconds.