No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Australian
 Other Open Wheelers
 Formula Ford Crash at Turn 8 Clipsal
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jamolad
Premenstrual Icelandic Wombat

Australia
1280 Posts
joined 08 Dec 06

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  10:23:13  Show Profile Send jamolad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see 7Mate are replaying the Clipsal Formula Ford races this morning at 9:30.

For those that have not yet seen it, look for the crash at turn 8 in the Saturday night race. One of the more unusual I have seen in a while.

I was a little bit pissy at the time, but from what I remember they exit turn 8 and a car's front wheels hit the back wheels of another car, sending one of the cars upwards. His left wheels run along the top of the concrete barrier, takes out the camera mounted on the wall at turn 8 exit, and then car disintegrates when the catch fencing recommences. One of the wheels looked to nearly make it over the catch fencing on the inside of the circuit (crash was on the outside wall and wheel nearly made it over the inside wall - on the full).

Don't think it has been loaded on you-tube otherwise I would link it. If you get the chance this morning, check it out.

Pod 3:16
Cunning Linguist

Australia
791 Posts
joined 17 Feb 03

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  13:31:22  Show Profile  Click to see Pod 3:16's MSN Messenger address Send Pod 3:16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
that was bloody insane, how fast did that wheel shoot across to the other side of the track?

DILLIGAF
Go to Top of Page

jamolad
Premenstrual Icelandic Wombat

Australia
1280 Posts
joined 08 Dec 06

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  14:37:37  Show Profile Send jamolad a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Crazy fast.

How lucky was he that it was only the left of the car straddling the wall when the catch fencing started again - if he had any more car on the wall it would have been the cockpit that went head-on into the corner post of the catch fence.

Reckon the catch fence will go the whole way round the outside of turn 8 next year, rather than that section being fenced on the second wall that is behind the actual track wall. If he had done that closer to the apex he could have easily cleared that first wall.
Go to Top of Page

HDT05
Team Manager

Australia
6165 Posts
joined 15 Feb 11

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  01:17:06  Show Profile Send HDT05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's insane.Tht was so fast they need to do something like maybe a fence there or something.That wheel went flying heaps fast.

Peter Brock 1945 - 2006 RIP #05
RIP Dale Earnhardt 1951 - 2001 #3
RIP Dan Wheldon 1978 - 2011
RIP Jason Richards 1976 - 2011
Go to Top of Page

rhysv
Formula Ford Driver

Australia
391 Posts
joined 19 Dec 08

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  08:49:37  Show Profile  Visit rhysv's Homepage  Click to see rhysv's MSN Messenger address Send rhysv a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That was a big crash... I'd like to see the catch fence follow the corner all the way around next year. Maybe move the flag point further out of the corner a couple of meters... It was a big duck and cover move by the flaggies to get out of the way of the debris coming through the fence.

When I was a kid I wanted to drive race cars... Now I take photos of them - http://vandersyde.com | http://www.insydemedia.com.au/
Go to Top of Page

PVDA
Team Manager

2559 Posts
joined 02 Nov 02

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  15:38:48  Show Profile Send PVDA a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's been on YouTube for a week (I just looked it up on a simple "Formula Ford Adelaide 2011" search and this was the first sugestion).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOR0IGOeJdk

It is however someone filming a big screen at the track but you get the general idea.
Go to Top of Page

Mr.McPhillamy
Team Manager

Australia
6472 Posts
joined 03 Jan 09

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  16:52:38  Show Profile Send Mr.McPhillamy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I saw it from my turn 8 seats.... craziness.

tyre would've killed 10 people in the infield but it just hit the lip of the catch-fence.

Turns out Roesler was the worst off physically - he got turned and backed into the wall and was in the car for a while.
Go to Top of Page

AndrewR
V8 Champion

Australia
829 Posts
joined 17 Jul 07

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  19:00:16  Show Profile Send AndrewR a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Better video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqynEd2nu6g
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds.