No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 International Series
 IndyCar
 do you think any indy car driver could drive in f1
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

holdenruz
Formula Ford Driver

320 Posts
joined 16 Oct 04

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  11:44:34  Show Profile  Visit holdenruz's Homepage Send holdenruz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i think Dario or Will can

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
10702 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  14:40:03  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, I think they can. Sebastien Bourdais has raced in both F1 and IndyCars. I think Ryan Briscoe was once an F1 test driver. Takuma Sato has done both I believe.

_Mford

"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page

Hypnotize
Pigs DO fly!

Australia
5842 Posts
joined 13 Mar 06

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  16:20:37  Show Profile  Click to see Hypnotize's MSN Messenger address Send Hypnotize a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The history hasnt been good recently, the only exception being Montoya. Da Matta was disappointing as was Bourdais. Maybe because they were in poor teams? Would be interesting to see how Power would go

DeeMac: "888 need a 1-2 or they have failed." Result: Team Vodafone 1-2

Edited by - Hypnotize on 15 Sep 2011 21:40:05
Go to Top of Page

Ruddeger
Team Manager

2316 Posts
joined 21 Jan 07

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  16:40:20  Show Profile Send Ruddeger a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by DJRford

Yes, I think they can. Sebastien Bourdais has raced in both F1 and IndyCars. I think Ryan Briscoe was once an F1 test driver. Takuma Sato has done both I believe.

Justin Wilson is another who has done both in recent years.Problem is Sato,Bourdais and Wilson all drove for backmarkers in F1.Montoya is the only recent one to get a good drive.

FOOOOOOOOORD !!!
Go to Top of Page

Mr.McPhillamy
Team Manager

Australia
6472 Posts
joined 03 Jan 09

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  20:30:13  Show Profile Send Mr.McPhillamy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Most of the older guys have tested an F1 car atleast.

I'm sure they'd be fine.

But the Indycar/F1 switches never usually went well - probably the only guy to get it well was Montoya and Mansell.
Go to Top of Page

HDT05
Team Manager

Australia
6165 Posts
joined 15 Feb 11

Posted - 15 Sep 2011 :  22:40:04  Show Profile Send HDT05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Alot will do ok. wouldn't exspect them to set the world on fire!

Peter Brock 1945 - 2006 RIP #05
RIP Dale Earnhardt 1951 - 2001 #3
RIP Dan Wheldon 1978 - 2011
RIP Jason Richards 1976 - 2011
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11297 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 16 Sep 2011 :  08:24:24  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Some of the Indycar to Nascar switches havent worked for some drivers either.

From memory, Christiano da Matta raced for Toyota and Sebastien Bordais was racing for Toro Rosso when they were just a development team.
Go to Top of Page

Biggy G
Team Manager

New Zealand
4522 Posts
joined 18 Dec 03

Posted - 16 Sep 2011 :  09:23:36  Show Profile  Visit Biggy G's Homepage Send Biggy G a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Scott Dixon got to drive one of the Walrus nosed Williams cars

Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
10702 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 16 Sep 2011 :  09:38:31  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Biggy G

I'm guessing that was just a Williams test?

_Mford

"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page

Wrighty05
Last of the Big Bangers

Tonga
7357 Posts
joined 25 Aug 03

Posted - 16 Sep 2011 :  10:10:10  Show Profile  Click to see Wrighty05's MSN Messenger address Send Wrighty05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.McPhillamy

Most of the older guys have tested an F1 car atleast.

I'm sure they'd be fine.

But the Indycar/F1 switches never usually went well - probably the only guy to get it well was Montoya and Mansell.

J Villeneuve

RIP05

_Mholden

RIP LJ - loved and never forgotten.

"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

The Peter Brock trophy is now where it belongs.
Go to Top of Page

Biggy G
Team Manager

New Zealand
4522 Posts
joined 18 Dec 03

Posted - 16 Sep 2011 :  14:06:21  Show Profile  Visit Biggy G's Homepage Send Biggy G a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by DJRford

quote:
Originally posted by Biggy G

I'm guessing that was just a Williams test?

Yeah:

The BMW Williams F1 test team is in action today at Paul Ricard where Marc Gene and Antonio Pizzonia kick off the development work today. Tomorrow Ralf Schumacher will take over from Gene and on Friday he will be joined by Indy Racing League champion Scott Dixon, in his first try-out with the team. Dixon has flown in from Phoenix, Arizona, where he finished second for Target Chip Ganassi Racing at the weekend.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns12664.html

Go to Top of Page

piston
Formula Ford Driver

Australia
263 Posts
joined 11 Oct 10

Posted - 18 Sep 2011 :  21:01:44  Show Profile Send piston a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Nigel Mansell went from winning the formula one world championship in 1992 to winning the 1993 indycar title both with top teams of the time as with Villeneuve but from indycar to f1, so will power would be a race winner if he made the switch from penske to say redbull no doubt in my mind..

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
BANNED

Vatican City
17982 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 18 Sep 2011 :  21:22:48  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
not many if any have gone from indy to F1 and been succesful

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

Hypnotize
Pigs DO fly!

Australia
5842 Posts
joined 13 Mar 06

Posted - 19 Sep 2011 :  09:12:58  Show Profile  Click to see Hypnotize's MSN Messenger address Send Hypnotize a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think the cars are way too different nowadays to make an easy transition unlike Mansell or Villeneuve were able to do. Im 50/50 in how I think Power would go if he switched

DeeMac: "888 need a 1-2 or they have failed." Result: Team Vodafone 1-2
Go to Top of Page

Mr.McPhillamy
Team Manager

Australia
6472 Posts
joined 03 Jan 09

Posted - 19 Sep 2011 :  13:00:10  Show Profile Send Mr.McPhillamy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think Power would be a great F1 driver.

He came into Champ Car at surfers in '05 and was straight on the money from practice 1.

And as soon as he jumped into the IRL car he was just as good, just as quickly - and those two cars were seriously different.

--

we're also forgetting Sato!! He's doing OK

Edited by - Mr.McPhillamy on 19 Sep 2011 13:00:34
Go to Top of Page

rps788
Team Manager

Australia
2004 Posts
joined 17 Jul 07

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  21:55:55  Show Profile Send rps788 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
no doubt all the front runners in the series could handle f1 but in the end they didn't have the cash to get them there which is why most of them ended up in indycar

which i don't mind cause least we have a Aussie who is doing well in this open wheel series atm XD
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds.