V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

rabbits
Team Manager

Australia
5035 Posts
joined 19 Aug 03

Posted - 09 Dec 2011 :  06:34:26  Show Profile Send rabbits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That should make sure we don't get locked in the middle of a discussion?

I don't care if I don't get a single reply in this thread, but something Albert posted in the Swan thread cannot go unanswered because it is typical of the ALP voter - come out blazing, all guns firing from the hip using outdated figures, half truths and misinformation.....

Here's where we left off :
-------------------------------------------------------------
quote:
Originally posted by rabbits
Never mind Albie, Bundy - it's a pick-and-chooseathon with him....for example, the cost of Nauru - it was around $165m a year, give or take

Gillard's solution? Or should i say 'non-solution'....she doesn't have any ideas yet, does she? They don't even process them anymore - off the boats and straight into houses ( when we have AUSTRALIAN'S who can't get a home to live in ) - they're coming too fast...

$750m a year.

Close, Albie...

http://www.oxfam.org.au/resources/filestore/originals/OAus-PriceTooHighAsylumSeekers-0807.pdf

See I can post links too.
---------------------------------------------------------

Let's go through this, shall we.

Firstly - Oxfam? really?

Secondly - it's dated 2007. Really? THAT'S what you want to use in argument?......ok.......

From Albert's link.....

One part : "In the six years since the Tampa crisis in August 2001, Australian taxpayers have spent more than $1
billion to process less than 1,700 asylum seekers in offshore locations"

So, that equates to about $165m a year. I seem to recall someone else quoting what it was costing under Howard...oh yeah...me!
And 1700 over 6 years? barely a trickle....

It gets better ( thank you SO much for this, Albert!! Seriously, you're doing the work for me...)

"Offshore processing in Nauru, Manus Island and Christmas Island has amounted to at least $1 billion since 2001. By comparison, the latest estimates from DIAC suggest that to process 1,700
asylum seekers for 90 days each at Villawood detention centre in Sydney would have cost around $35 million – around 3.5 per cent of the cost of processing them offshore."

I'm assuming that you have used this to illustrate that Villawood was only going to cost us $35m a year and we should have done that instead of spending $165m offshore?
That was PRE-ALP estimates though, wasn't it?
In 2007.
Under Howard's control.
Before Rudd canned the whole thing?

Now, for something a bit newer - like maybe 6 months old - a bit more relevant, don't you think?? Something that illustrates perfectly the ALP's handling of the situation and MY money:

( Let's keep in mind Howards 1700 applications over 6 years and Albie's figure of what should have been $35m to do it here, ok...)

"ASRC says last year Australia received 8,250 asylum claims via air and sea arrivals"

In ONE year!!!!!!!

Now :

"ASRC says budget papers reveal the cost of Australia's immigration detention system will hit $800 million in 2011-12. "

In ONE year!!!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-05-18/understanding-the-asylum-seeker-debate/2718820

Yep - good argument, Albert. Thanks for the data to compare and show what a ****ing **** job these clowns are doing with everything they touch.

Like I said, I don't care if this thread goes nowhere, but that just couldn't be left to lay as it was....

Edited by - rabbits on 09 Dec 2011 06:43:03

bundy
BANNED

Australia
1509 Posts
joined 21 Aug 11

Posted - 09 Dec 2011 :  06:45:24  Show Profile Send bundy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well done Rabbits. Once again you set the record straight with the true facts of the situation.

Go to Top of Page

rabbits
Team Manager

Australia
5035 Posts
joined 19 Aug 03

Posted - 09 Dec 2011 :  07:18:11  Show Profile Send rabbits a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
http://www.refugeecouncil.org.au/resources/budget/2011-12_Budget_brief.pdf

Immigration detention costs will blow out to more than $800 million, representing a tripling
of costs in just two years.
The total cost of the Government’s offshore asylum seeker management program will be
$1.058 billion,
an increase of 39% on 2010-11 and 247% increase on 2009-10.

The 2011-12 Refugee and Humanitarian Program will increase to 14,750 places in 2011-
12, making it the largest annual program since 1995-96 and the third largest program
since 1983-84.

Now, I don't particularly care that much about the asylum seeker debate - should they be allowed to come or not - but man oh man a pacific Solution was obviously working better than NO solution, no?

I just wanted to point out how these idiots got elected by idiots who can't be bothered finding out the true facts, instead they listen to the Govt who have only done one thing since elected - lie.
Go to Top of Page

karter
Team Manager

11736 Posts
joined 21 Sep 04

Posted - 09 Dec 2011 :  07:29:04  Show Profile Send karter a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

I just wanted to point out how these idiots got elected by idiots who can't be bothered finding out the true facts, instead they listen to the Govt who have only done one thing since elected - lie.

Oh come on Rabbits, credit where it's due - they done more than that. They've also blown several billions of dollars and introduced some new taxes.
Go to Top of Page

rabbits
Team Manager

Australia
5035 Posts
joined 19 Aug 03

Posted - 09 Dec 2011 :  07:34:11  Show Profile Send rabbits a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry, my bad
Go to Top of Page

bundy
BANNED

Australia
1509 Posts
joined 21 Aug 11

Posted - 12 Dec 2011 :  07:01:46  Show Profile Send bundy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So, much for the Labor party adopting a more democratic approach to its appointment/selection for party and Government positions

Prime Minister Julia Gillard's revenge in Cabinet reshuffle
Simon Benson

Julia Gillard to announce Cabinet reshuffle today
But authority not absolute - two names must stay
Gillard ratings fall ahead of reshuffle

THOSE believed to be behind the plot to bring back Kevin Rudd will be punished by Prime Minister Julia Gillard today with Innovation Minister Kim Carr to be sacked from cabinet.

But in a blow to her authority, Ms Gillard was blocked from dumping Schools Minister Peter Garrett and Attorney-General Robert McClelland when NSW Right bosses stepped in to save them.

When Ms Gillard told Mr Garrett and Mr McClelland she wanted them to resign from Cabinet to pave the way for new blood, Mr Garrett threatened to resign from parliament. Mr McClelland also refused to step aside. The pair were backed by other NSW ministers.

"It was a widely expressed view to her that it would be a mistake," a senior NSW Labor source said.

Another senior government insider said: "She was told, 'you can't sack McClelland and keep Joe Ludwig in there'."

THE PM will expand Cabinet and increase the number of portfolios as part of a reshuffle to reward ministers Bill Shorten, Nicola Roxon and Greg Combet. ..End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

But Ms Gillard succeeded in what sources claimed was an attempt to shore up her own support base by rewarding the two key players behind the coup last year that delivered her the leadership.

Assistant Treasurer Bill Shorten will be promoted into Cabinet as the new Workplace Relations Minister. Sports Minister Mark Arbib will become Assistant Treasurer.

The reshuffle, to be announced today, had threatened to spark a war between the dominant Victorian and NSW Right-wing factions, with both wanting promotions from their own ranks.

In a compromise deal, Ms Gillard was forced to expand her cabinet by one, to 21, to keep Mr McClelland in Cabinet. However, he will be moved aside into a new ministry of national security.

Health Minister Nicola Roxon, from the Victorian Right, will become the country's first female Attorney-General. Human Services Minister Tanya Plibersek, from the NSW Left, will be promoted into Cabinet to take health.

Chris Evans will lose Workplace Relations following criticism of his handling of the Qantas dispute but will remain as senate leader, which requires him to also stay in Cabinet

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/national/prime-minister-julia-gillards-revenge-in-cabinet-reshuffle/story-e6freooo-1226219541871

There are a couple of changes that I really fear as to their adequacy to handle the job. They are Arbib, as assistant Treasurer (although it doesn't take much to match Swan's abilities) and Plibersek to take on the major role of Health (although I hear Trev getting ready to debate that ). And Shorten into Workplace Relations which is perhaps a role that he has always dreamed of occupying will again skew the industrial relations policy platform towards the unions' desired position.

Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22221 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 12 Dec 2011 :  10:57:32  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
One down.
How many more will desert the sinking ship?

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8388240/sherry-first-gillard-minister-to-go

and there's 8 in Queensland!

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8388214

Edited by - Legendary Gerry on 12 Dec 2011 11:36:23
Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
10585 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 13 Dec 2011 :  16:09:19  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Funny how Julia cuts off Kevvy's supporters. But it's alright, she'd tell you it's a coincidence if you asked her!

"Holden name goes, T8 and HRT band together and become: Chevrolet United National Team Sports, has a nice ring? Headed up by Roland of course!!" - REM

_Mford

"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page

bigem
A polar bear

Australia
15994 Posts
joined 22 Jun 04

Posted - 13 Dec 2011 :  22:03:59  Show Profile Send bigem a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Gillard has done exactly what the pundits said she would, ensured herself a future until the next election.

Its what all leaders try to do when they are skating on thin ice.

Abbott has been threatened yet. I put the emphasis on 'yet', it will happen when we get closer to a Federal election, Tony is only a caretaker in my view.

I think both sides need to open their ****ing eyes, neither is better than the other.

From where I'm sitting, families with 3 generation of dole bludgers will follow Labor to the grave, whereas most professional/white collar workers will follow the Libs until the private schools get way too expensive!!

Neither side is worth pissing on if they where on fire!!

New Commodore Hey! So you used your own money? Would you like to buy a used bridge?
Go to Top of Page

HDT05
Team Manager

Australia
6165 Posts
joined 15 Feb 11

Posted - 13 Dec 2011 :  22:22:40  Show Profile Send HDT05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bigem

Gillard has done exactly what the pundits said she would, ensured herself a future until the next election.

Abbott has been threatened yet. I put the emphasis on 'yet', it will happen when we get closer to a Federal election, Tony is only a caretaker in my view.

I think both sides need to open their ****ing eyes, neither is better than the other.

From where I'm sitting, families with 3 generation of dole bludgers will follow Labor to the grave, whereas most professional/white collar workers will follow the Libs until the private schools get way too expensive!!

Agree, Em. Neither are better as you say they are just as bad and ****ing stupid as each other, they are ****ing dopey ****ers that need to be pissed off, and fast!!!

Peter Brock 1945 - 2006 RIP #05
RIP Dale Earnhardt 1951 - 2001 #3
RIP Dan Wheldon 1978 - 2011
RIP Jason Richards 1976 - 2011
Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
10585 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 13 Dec 2011 :  23:21:51  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
While I see your point, I'm a clear Liberal supporter and it'll stay that way!

"Holden name goes, T8 and HRT band together and become: Chevrolet United National Team Sports, has a nice ring? Headed up by Roland of course!!" - REM

_Mford

"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page

bundy
BANNED

Australia
1509 Posts
joined 21 Aug 11

Posted - 14 Dec 2011 :  05:08:32  Show Profile Send bundy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Pick a side Em...it is no good sitting on the fence.

Go to Top of Page

rabbits
Team Manager

Australia
5035 Posts
joined 19 Aug 03

Posted - 14 Dec 2011 :  08:14:03  Show Profile Send rabbits a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What about ****ing Stephen ****ing Conroy's work yesterday - the ****ing Minister for upholding ****ing broadcasting standards - on live ****ing tv right before ****ing Sesame Street was due to ****ing come on....hahahahahaha nice work, Stevo, **** ya!!
Good start, big fella!!

How nice is it in here without those Labor-Lovers who have obviously sent each others PM's with a wink and a nod and said 'lets all ignore it' hahaha
Keep it up boys - I like it!!

Edited by - rabbits on 14 Dec 2011 08:16:38
Go to Top of Page

bundy
BANNED

Australia
1509 Posts
joined 21 Aug 11

Posted - 14 Dec 2011 :  08:21:27  Show Profile Send bundy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

What about ****ing Stephen ****ing Conroy's work yesterday - the ****ing Minister for upholding ****ing broadcasting standards - on live ****ing tv right before ****ing Sesame Street was due to ****ing come on....hahahahahaha nice work, Stevo, **** ya!!
Good start, big fella!!

How nice is it in here without those Labor-Lovers who have obviously sent each others PM's with a wink and a nod and said 'lets all ignore it' hahaha
Keep it up boys - I like it!!

I've noticed it too rabbits.

They're deafly quiet as now they're completely embarassed with the state of their party, if they shouldn't of been before!!

Conroy's disgraceful words put the icing on the cake

Go to Top of Page

bigem
A polar bear

Australia
15994 Posts
joined 22 Jun 04

Posted - 14 Dec 2011 :  09:02:56  Show Profile Send bigem a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Neither Libs nor Labor deserve support as espoused in this thread.

Both sides are embarrassing, incompetent, and irresponsible with fiscal policy, there are no 'great' politicians among the current crop.

None of them deserve the salaries they get, nor the tax-payer supplied perks!

None of them deserve the level of mis-guiuded adoration portrayed on here!!

I'm not a fence sitter, they all disgust me and NONE of them deserve my vote!!

If I have to leave my house to cast a vote, I at least want to vote for somebody worth while, not the party selected scum the Libs and Labor put forward!!

New Commodore Hey! So you used your own money? Would you like to buy a used bridge?
Go to Top of Page

bundy
BANNED

Australia
1509 Posts
joined 21 Aug 11

Posted - 14 Dec 2011 :  09:14:11  Show Profile Send bundy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Neither Libs nor Labor deserve support as espoused in this thread.

Both sides are embarrassing, incompetent, and irresponsible with fiscal policy, there are no 'great' politicians among the current crop.

None of them deserve the salaries they get, nor the tax-payer supplied perks!

None of them deserve the level of mis-guiuded adoration portrayed on here!!

I'm not a fence sitter, they all disgust me and NONE of them deserve my vote!!

If I have to leave my house to cast a vote, I at least want to vote for somebody worth while, not the party selected scum the Libs and Labor put forward!!

So much for the compulsory voting system, eh?

Oh but I do agree with you that the majority of the politicians we have atm don't deserve the salaries they get nor do they deserve the perks when they leave office such as becoming private consultants...most MPs don't deserve the time of day that I would give them to canvass and resolve issues and I'm not just speaking about the Labor party here either...so I can understand why you are disillusioned...I guess it just comes down to picking the best out of what you perceive are the two bad options...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.98 seconds.