V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

AlbertM
Crackpot

12532 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  17:17:10  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hehe. Sour little thing aren't you Zac. Can't reply without some sort of sarcastic quip... ay. What did I do, kick your dog or something? [;P]

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9780 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  17:35:52  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Not at all. I enjoy posting to and fro with you. It just doesn't make any difference - and Crikey and Bernard make less difference than most. Besides, I'm with Trev on this. I'd rather we had less commentators offering their opinions in the media, and more reporting. We post stuff here for our own reasons, but we certainly don't change other's voting intentions.

Here's my take on how elections pan out - including the one coming up in September.

Firstly, the vast majority of voters never change their minds, no matter what. I've heard that majority could be a number over 80%. It's certainly a big number, and election results show that. Almost everyone I know is a committed Labor, Coalition or Greens voter. Ask around amongst your friends and relatives and you'll find the same thing. All the hype in the media, stuff on here and other such places, election ads and campaigns generally hardly alter people's voting intentions one dot. In the upcoming election, Peter Slipper, Craig Thomson, misogyny, "Tony Abbott's a moron", Bernard Keane, Mike Carlton, Peter Fitzsimons, Andrew Bolt, Alan Jones, etc. combined won't make any more than a few percent difference. In any election there will be new voters enrolled, others will have died, electoral boundaries will have been fiddled with, etc., yet the percentages of the vote gained by the major parties will stay pretty close. 5% either way is a major swing (two party preferred), and it's usually against the current government. It's that 5% who make the difference, and all the campaign money is directed at them. Most people who protest vote against their usual party, usually go for a minor party or independent. That makes an even smaller difference, because if the vote for the major parties is close, their vote will be directed to whatever party their candidate has directed their preference to - usually the party the voter would have otherwise voted for. Then there's always the donkey vote and informal vote. Neither have been know to alter an election result - not federally. It's easy to get sucked in by all the media noise, the online arguing, the carrying on by politicians being outraged by their opposition. The vast majority don't take any notice - if they do, it doesn't alter their voting intentions.

So, how does that relate to September 14? Well, the Government is behind. It has been for over two years, and it seems to be going backwards, not forwards. It's still got (probably) 45+% of the 'rusted ons' on side, but it only needs a 1% swing from the almost exactly 50% it got in 2010 to lose. So does the Opposition. It's not popular, it's just less unpopular, mainly by staying out of trouble, and saying and doing as little as possible. It doesn't need to antagonise the couple of percent of voters it needs to win. Like I've said before: Oppositions don't win elections. Governments lose them.

There you go. We can post links to stuff on here for as long as we want. It might make us feel better, and it gives us an interest, but we won't change anything.

Using the Albie future-predicting device: Labor to lose.

Edited by - Zac on 27 Mar 2013 17:43:56
Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot

12532 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  19:02:53  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That where you get it so wrong Zac. I don't expect to change a thing. I post the articles because they articulate my thoughts far better than I ever could. I post and let people make up there own mind, it's why I don't comment on the links. I certainly don't constantly mock ones posts either.

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9780 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  20:14:26  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Interesting to see how you see yourself. Now, this sour little thing with the sarcastic quips will endeavour to reach your lofty standards.

Let's get back to our usual discourse now.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  12:57:47  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
For those contemplating voting Liberal, here is a snippet from today's local paper about Sophie Mirrabella, a shadow minister of Tony's front bench, this woman is strange. He is trange and he has surrounded himself with strange people

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17198 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  13:06:50  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Doesn't matter if you support Lab or Lib... they are all a substandard bunch but it's nothing that a good nuke can't fix..

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9780 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  14:02:30  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Interesting dream...

Make them all disappear and start again. Only committed, intelligent people with vision need apply **. Preferably with far fewer lawyers and union officials amongst them.

**There's some committed, intelligent people with vision on both sides of politics atm, but they're so few and far between, it's hard to spot them. I certainly can't see any amongst the leaders.
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17198 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  14:22:46  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
They have that vision and intelligence until they join a party Zac and then move to the realms of the useless....

Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  15:44:51  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think they all go in with the best intentions, but then they get bastardised by the system. Mind you there are a few scum-bags who SLIP*** in from time to time.

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17198 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  15:49:00  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
***stand back folks...

Have to agree with ya Trev

Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  17:05:45  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
http://www.smh.com.au/business/migration-soars-and-fools-fly-in-20130328-2gw5u.html

Can anyone tell me why they let in 228,000 foreigners to live in Australia but the Libs want to reduce the refugee intake to 13,000?

Why do they want 215,000 economic migrants to come each year with the skills to take good jobs away from Aussies who should be trained to do them. But then again both big parties want to cut university funding, so it becomes to expensive to train Australians. If there is a skills shortage, you train more people. Pretty ****ing easy.

I don't expect to get picked for jobs in Singapore, so why are we handing away so many jobs that could go to Aussies to non citizens? Seems they just want to keep the place growing to prop up the housing bubble in the capital cities.

If the Libs want behavior protocols for refugees, why not give us something really fair and worthwhile and make sure companies give priority to citizens over non-citizens when there are two equal applicants.

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  11:55:33  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Seems that the vast majority of Queenslanders have given the Newman Government their tick of approval for its first year in government.

I expect similar results to translate for Abbott after his first year in Government when he wins the election

http://www.afr.com/p/national/campbell_surges_in_newspoll_trkXW00yIZd0Ohd9ka0JMO

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.
Go to Top of Page

willsy
V8 Taxi Driver

Australia
3165 Posts
joined 21 Nov 07

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  12:32:06  Show Profile  Visit willsy's Homepage Send willsy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wow he is humming along quite well judging by that Bundy.

Listening to people on here I figured he would be quite the opposite... Maybe a step backwards to help moving forward was the way to go as I thought could be the case?

Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  13:01:40  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by willsy

Wow he is humming along quite well judging by that Bundy.

Listening to people on here I figured he would be quite the opposite... Maybe a step backwards to help moving forward was the way to go as I thought could be the case?

Well the people on here that I believe you are referring to just can't accept that Newman is getting on with delivering his mandate which was to get the State's finances back on track.

They are caught up in the allegations that are being bandied around on the Courier Mail (which have been referred to the CMC for investigation I might add) without actually looking at the substance of what the Newman government is doing.

This belt tightening isn't over by a long stretch either, with a few years to go yet. Sadly, this sort of fiscal restraint will have to be demonstrated by the Australian government over the next 5 years or so as well.

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 31 Mar 2013 :  15:31:12  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I wouldn't pay any antention at all that Newspoll.

Talk to the people in the street and the majority won't have too many kind words.

Thats bull**** about the allegations in the Courier Mail.
It's been reffered to the CMC alledgedly because he's a thief.
Driscoll will be facing misappropriation charges.
Here's a bit more on one of the LNP grubs

http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/suspended-mp-scott-driscoll-secretly-approached-woolworths-for-cash-to-prop-up-retailers-lobby-group/story-fn6ck45n-1226605858528

But to Bundy, he's one of his LNP mates and can do no wrong.

Go back in the political topics and i told you what Caltibiano was like and Bundy said no he's a hard working member of our community.

Thats why Newman sacked him for inappropriate behaviour

ONLY LITTLE BOYZ WEAR BOWTIES

Edited by - bigcol on 31 Mar 2013 16:18:40
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 4.09 seconds.