V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 30 Apr 2013 :  07:32:26  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by willsy

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-29/gillard-flags-spending-cuts-tax-hikes/4657712

quote:
Prime Minister Julia Gillard has warned that "every reasonable option is on the table" as the Government grapples with funding multi-billion-dollar spending commitments in the face of plunging revenue.

I still cant understand how labor supporters still feel everything is going along so well and its just reported wrong?

Why do Labor just keep spending but then realise that the money they hoped was going to be there is not, and suddenly its back to taxing more to compensate. Sure its good to spend, but not with potential consequences that can easily happen.

I just don't get Labor...

Simon, a lot of it is about job creation, keeping people in work is a logical thing to do, I do understand where you are coming from, but I also understand why they are doing it.

It stimulates the economy without calling it a stimulus program. Having people unemployed is not a good option, it slows growth enormously and that is not good.

Also remember despite the constant barking by the Liberals we Australians are carrying less debt per head of population than other like countries. We will be able to pay off the debt, despite what the Libs say.

I reserve the right to arm bears

Edited by - Trev on 30 Apr 2013 07:33:27
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 30 Apr 2013 :  07:48:55  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
When do we start paying it off? A rational thinker would have thought that after five or six years of ever bigger deficits, that while the economy is booming (according to many, including the Treasurer) would be a good time to start. No, he said that this year for certain he would return the budget to surplus "Come hell or high water", "On time and as promised" etc. No, he threw that idea away, and we're now committed to spending more than ever. What our government has done has continually raised our self-imposed credit limit - and then continually gone well over it. This year was going to be different, but it's more of the same.

Anyone want to guess what the deficit will be this year? Wayne will be announcing it in a few week's time. You won't get any real idea from this: http://www.budget.gov.au/2012-13/content/at_a_glance/html/at_a_glance.htm

("Like countries" - what are these "like countries"?)
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 30 Apr 2013 :  08:04:19  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Most European Countries including England, USA etc, you know what I mean

Edited by - Trev on 30 Apr 2013 08:05:20
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 30 Apr 2013 :  08:18:59  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don't, Trev. Really. I was guessing Norway, Denmark, Sweden... they're not really "like" though - and the USA certainly isn't. "Like" in what way? In population, the most "like" countries to Australia are North Korea, Syria, Mozambique and Yemen. In terms of national debt, the most like Australia in government debt as % of GDP is Angola. In terms of national debt as % of GDP, it's Uganda.
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 30 Apr 2013 :  08:58:01  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by AlbertM

quote:

The Libs just have to stop all the spending and sit on it for a while. Its nice to have so many new spends, but we can live without many of them realistically for a few years surely...

Yep, lets sit around with our thumbs up our ass and watch everything fall apart.

Right because in the end we own the debt and would only be having to pay it back to ourselves??

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.
Go to Top of Page

willsy
V8 Taxi Driver

Australia
3165 Posts
joined 21 Nov 07

Posted - 30 Apr 2013 :  09:33:30  Show Profile  Visit willsy's Homepage Send willsy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

The Libs just have to stop all the spending and sit on it for a while. Its nice to have so many new spends, but we can live without many of them realistically for a few years surely...

Yep, lets sit around with our thumbs up our ass and watch everything fall apart.

Fall apart? I already see that happening now.

Labor spend more than we earn, promise we will get back to surplus and fail, then announce all is going along well anyway, and now we are told we will have to pay even more taxes and take the pain for them wrongly assuming they would get a certain amount of revenue in...

Sure spend money to create jobs, but not at the expense of increasing the cost of living and having our business's close their doors. Might be good to create short term jobs to cover the lost ones, but not when we all have to pay for it anyway.

Spend less, give business a break to let them do their thing, lower the living costs, lower the taxes and we can all get about our merry way again.

Go to Top of Page

rabbits
Team Manager

Australia
5035 Posts
joined 19 Aug 03

Posted - 30 Apr 2013 :  10:47:32  Show Profile Send rabbits a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I want to know why the Govt keep saying that we have the debt/upcoming record 6-in-a-row deficit is because revenue is down. Err, no it's not - it's up 8%

They haven't worked out that if you spend more than you earn you eventually find yourself in the ****, have they??

China wobbling, so it'll be interesting to see just how deep this pile of **** that they've dropped us in, is.

In the mean time, do you go to jail for lying to police??

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/who-knows-pm-julia-gillard-is-under-investigation/story-e6frg6z6-1226630319702

IN the days after a heated 2GB radio interview in March, during which Julia Gillard was questioned closely about the AWU slush fund scandal, a detective in Victoria's Fraud Squad, Ross Mitchell, made a strategic decision.

One answer the Prime Minister gave during a dogged tussle in her interview with Ben Fordham stood out. Mitchell knew it when he heard it. The other detectives knew it too.

He told his audience: "So, let me make this perfectly clear. The Prime Minister of Australia, Julia Gillard, is under investigation by police. This is fact. I hadn't planned to add to what I said yesterday out of respect for the detectives on the case. But if the Prime Minister's office wants to deny she's being investigated, as has been reported last night and today, then I will once again correct that record. Now it needs to be pointed out that the Prime Minister and her office mightn't know she's being investigated. But I know it. And others do too. The detectives are investigating three individuals and one of them is Julia Gillard.

Prime Minister, you may not know this, but you are currently being investigated by the Fraud and Extortion Squad of the Victoria Police Force."

The best bit : Gillard finally confirmed to Fordham that she and Blewitt were in the room when the document was signed

Oops.

The whole Govt should be thrown in jail for impersonating people who have a clue.....

Edited by - rabbits on 30 Apr 2013 10:51:17
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 30 Apr 2013 :  11:02:36  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
welcome back rabbits, we have missed your passion

Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot

12530 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 30 Apr 2013 :  11:11:07  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

quote:

Fall apart? I already see that happening now.

Labor spend more than we earn, promise we will get back to surplus and fail, then announce all is going along well anyway, and now we are told we will have to pay even more taxes and take the pain for them wrongly assuming they would get a certain amount of revenue in...

Sure spend money to create jobs, but not at the expense of increasing the cost of living and having our business's close their doors. Might be good to create short term jobs to cover the lost ones, but not when we all have to pay for it anyway.

Spend less, give business a break to let them do their thing, lower the living costs, lower the taxes and we can all get about our merry way again.

Keep dreaming Willsy.

You want everything your way but don't want to pay for it. It doesn't work that way.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/before-we-tackle-the-budget-lets-clarify-a-few-points-20130429-2iot4.html

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford

Edited by - AlbertM on 30 Apr 2013 11:50:48
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 30 Apr 2013 :  12:16:34  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The Gillard Government is looking at increasing the Medicare levy from 1.5% to 2% of your gross income to fund its NDIS. I read somewhere else that this could mean an increase to an average person of about $300 per year. It doesn't sound much but when you add all the extra taxes, levies and charges that the Government has introduced, especially the ones that they weren't mandated for, it starts to take its toll. I would be surprised if this new levy on Medicare was to be introduced whether it would ever be rolled back given the budget position that we are to live in for awhile to come.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/treasury/ndis-levy-could-curb-growth-joe-hockey/story-fn59nsif-1226632138754

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.

Edited by - bundy5 on 30 Apr 2013 12:17:10
Go to Top of Page

willsy
V8 Taxi Driver

Australia
3165 Posts
joined 21 Nov 07

Posted - 30 Apr 2013 :  14:14:31  Show Profile  Visit willsy's Homepage Send willsy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Keep dreaming Willsy.

You want everything your way but don't want to pay for it. It doesn't work that way.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/before-we-tackle-the-budget-lets-clarify-a-few-points-20130429-2iot4.html

I think I am more in nightmare at the moment Albert...

How can my way of Labor to stop spending more than what comes in, combined with your comment 'but then you don't want to pay for it' work? Spend less but you still will have to pay for it, seems I must be missing something?

Julia came out and said it. We, (not her), will have to do it tough now because they are short $12 billion dollars of what they had hoped for. I don't see any positives in that...

Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22226 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 30 Apr 2013 :  23:36:15  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Now ffs, don't dare die unless you are flat broke!
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 01 May 2013 :  10:52:20  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bundy5

The Gillard Government is looking at increasing the Medicare levy from 1.5% to 2% of your gross income to fund its NDIS. I read somewhere else that this could mean an increase to an average person of about $300 per year. It doesn't sound much but when you add all the extra taxes, levies and charges that the Government has introduced, especially the ones that they weren't mandated for, it starts to take its toll. I would be surprised if this new levy on Medicare was to be introduced whether it would ever be rolled back given the budget position that we are to live in for awhile to come.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/treasury/ndis-levy-could-curb-growth-joe-hockey/story-fn59nsif-1226632138754

Confirmed today. Yet another tax measure it seems that will just be used to filter through this welfare state. And there is no guarantee in my view that it will be used solely to fund the NDIS and not her other current unfunded promises.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/federal-election/gillard-set-to-announce-05-levy/story-fnho52jo-1226632725153

Edited by - bundy5 on 01 May 2013 10:54:42
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 01 May 2013 :  11:05:22  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
$1 per week, how much do you spend on Latte's a week?

Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 01 May 2013 :  11:12:43  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trev

$1 per week, how much do you spend on Latte's a week?

That's a dollar per day Trev or $365 per year for an average person on $70k a year. That's a steep rise in anyone's language.

Edited by - bundy5 on 01 May 2013 11:13:30
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.17 seconds.