V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9780 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  10:32:58  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Funny that, eh? It's all our opinions, but thankyou, Trev for pointing it out.

Speaking of opinions, and btw REM, that ship was in Italian waters, not in Greece - and that's fact, not opinion In my opinion, we have the worst government and the worst opposition we've had possibly ever. Certainly in the past 60-70 years. It's a race to the bottom, and I think the Libs are just ahead atm. The government is ordinary verging on hopeless, with an opposition with no ideas and a leader getting good approval ratings despite also being ordinary verging on hopeless. There are good people on both sides of the parliament in both houses, but I don't know that they'll get the chance to raise the level of parliament or improve policies or their alternatives. Just look at the current discussion about Andrew Wilkie and his pokies reforms. What a waste of hot air about nothing. Surely we can focus on the things that matter, and for 99+% of us, pokies really don't matter. Who really frigging cares about some pre-set limit on poker machines to save idiots from themselves? Meanwhile, serial gamblers have gone online throwing their money away overseas somewhere. Does Wilkie have some proposed legislation on that? I've never played a poker machine, so maybe I'm not getting the mood of Australia on this, but I don't think so. It's just silly political manouvering, and the only interest for me is to see whether Julia can do another reversal and backstab and get away with it. Yes, just my opinion.

Edited by - Zac on 21 Jan 2012 10:37:27
Go to Top of Page

bundy
BANNED

Australia
1509 Posts
joined 21 Aug 11

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  10:37:57  Show Profile Send bundy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

Surely we can focus on the things that matter, and for 99+% of us, pokies really don't matter. Whe really frigging cares about some pre-set limit on poker machines to save idiots from themselves?

Because it attacks the most vulnerable in society...the ones that don't have the savings to be able to sustain the losses that are likely to be incurred from being allowed to maximum bet when they want to. Control over this issue is imperative, especially when it is geared at saving families and stopping them from being ripped apart.

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9780 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  10:47:53  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Poker machine addicts the most vulnerable in society? Wha?
Go to Top of Page

bundy
BANNED

Australia
1509 Posts
joined 21 Aug 11

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  10:50:12  Show Profile Send bundy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

Poker machine addicts the most vulnerable in society? Wha?

It's how I've said it...you just have to go to your local RSL or pub to see it.

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9780 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  10:57:49  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Or you could go to destitute aboriginal communities, or impoverished flats where infirm, sick, elderly people live, or women's refuges, or many other places to see somewhat more vulnerable people. I do see people sitting in front of machines in clubs, having enjoyed their subsidised meals, drinks beside them, car in the carpark, job to go to. Besides, like I said, serial gamblers aren't just pokie addicts. They punt on horses and other things, play Keno, play poker online, spend more than they can afford on Lotto etc., and so on. You can put all the addicted gamblers losing more than they have, together, and you still have a tiny number of people, and certainly not the most vulnerable people in society.

Wilkie's pre-set limit legislation, if it ever happens, will make the tiniest dent in fixing the problem. Imperative? Maybe, but nowhere near as much as many other bigger problems afflicting vulnerable people.

Edited by - Zac on 21 Jan 2012 11:00:43
Go to Top of Page

bundy
BANNED

Australia
1509 Posts
joined 21 Aug 11

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  11:00:49  Show Profile Send bundy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

Or you could go to destitute aboriginal communities, or impoverished flats where infirm, sick, elderly people live, or women's refuges, or many other places to see somewhat more vulnerable people. I do see people sitting in front of machines in clubs, having enjoyed their subsidised meals, drinks beside them, car in the carpark, job to go to. Besides, like I said, serial gamblers aren't just pokie addicts. They punt on horses and other things, play Keno, play poker online, spend more than they can afford on Lotto etc., and so on. You can put all the addicted gamblers losing more than they have, together, and you still have a tiny number of people, and certainly not the most vulnerable people in society.

True...they do have other avenues of gambling that they would frequent quite often. At least the introduction of these reforms would go some of the way to assisting this addiction. And I'm aware of the other most vulnerable categories of people there are in society, these poker machine addicted players are just one of these categories IMO...

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9780 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  11:09:51  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So, "one of the most vulnerable", not "the most vulnerable". We've cleared that up. Personally, JMHO, of course, for Trev I wouldn't put pokie addicts in either category. I suppose we can add drug addicts, alcoholics, mentally ill etc. somewhere into the mix - and bigger problems and more vulnerable than pokie addicts. Maybe there's a tiny category for just plain stupid. My point was more the time and hot air being expended on what is more political manouvering than something of real importance and impact on the vast majority of us.

Edited by - Zac on 21 Jan 2012 11:18:12
Go to Top of Page

bundy
BANNED

Australia
1509 Posts
joined 21 Aug 11

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  11:13:16  Show Profile Send bundy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

My point was more the time and hot air being expended on what is more political manouvering than something of real impact and importance on the vast majority of us.

Whatever it takes to keep the minority supporters of the Government happy...well it seems now that Gillard has decided to do one of her famous backflips that she is all too famous for...

Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  13:36:16  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bundy

quote:
Originally posted by Zac

My point was more the time and hot air being expended on what is more political manouvering than something of real impact and importance on the vast majority of us.

Whatever it takes to keep the minority supporters of the Government happy...well it seems now that Gillard has decided to do one of her famous backflips that she is all too famous for...

Well the only thing the opposition leader has offered in the last week is some dodgy expenses numbers and a joke about an accident that killed a number of people in Italy. Not like the opposition is offering anything better.

Poor Australian Democrats, they'd walk the next election if they hadn't imploded 10 years ago.

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22231 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  14:33:44  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's a bit of a common thing 27GV - Australian political parties imploding!!
Go to Top of Page

rps788
Team Manager

Australia
2004 Posts
joined 17 Jul 07

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  16:49:44  Show Profile Send rps788 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
poor poor Wilkie

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-01-21/wilkie-withdraws-support-over-broken-pokies-deal/3786040
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22231 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  17:36:45  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There's going to be quite a number of "15 minutes of fame" pollies with this parliament.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  19:53:28  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by REM

I'd never vote for Abbott or Gillard.....EVER!

it is a bit hard to vote or not to vote for them unless you live in their electorate.

Th Party votes for the Leader not the general public, this is not America.

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

bundy
BANNED

Australia
1509 Posts
joined 21 Aug 11

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  19:55:49  Show Profile Send bundy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Big Trev

quote:
Originally posted by REM

I'd never vote for Abbott or Gillard.....EVER!

it is a bit hard to vote or not to vote for them unless you live in their electorate.

Th Party votes for the Leader not the general public, this is not America.

You can't tell me Trev that voters don't vote predominately for the character and policies of the leader of the party rather than the local member or candidate...just have to look at 2007, with all the pictures of K Rudd put everywhere instead of the candidate.

Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot

12532 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  21:08:57  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, Wilkie just shot himself in the foot. No one will listern to him now. While he's crying about Gillards back flip, what happend to his deadline on the issue?

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 5.06 seconds.