V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

falcon_cobra
Kiss Fanatic

Sweden
8813 Posts
joined 02 Dec 04

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  07:20:01  Show Profile  Click to see falcon_cobra's MSN Messenger address Send falcon_cobra a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sonic

quote:
Originally posted by falcon_cobra

quote:
Originally posted by bundy5

quote:
Originally posted by bigem

quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne

if the alp are doing such a good job, why did they knife Julia ?

Cause Julia was a puppet and the rest of the party finally woke up to what was happening!!

She got thrown in at the deep end by the faceless men and drowned!!

Isn't that what they are going to do with Rudd as well when he has served a purpose for them?

he is in there to take the fall and minimise the loss.
if Julia was in, there wouldnt be many ALP members elected at all, and the ALP would be at risk of losing party status, like what happened in Qld

can still hope for the best..

and i dont see Tony going into the election as the leader, now either. the libs need someone stronger to run against Rudd

_Mvolvo
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17198 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  07:57:09  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
and i'll use the same line FC... we can hope for the best!

Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  09:30:19  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by AlbertM
quote:

What are you going on about? I concede the public did take on fair amounts of personal debt but that wasn't in Howard's first term or second term IIRC; more like 3rd and 4th.

The debt was taken on because they had confidence in Howard and what he would do for the economy and the public believed they could manage it. Once Howard left, people began to cut back on their credit card use - the occurrence of the GFC multiplied this effect.

BS! People were taking you debt as the banks were handing it out left right and centre. Confidence in Howard...not likely

Why do you think people were taking out debt to purchase property and the such around the period of 2002-2006 mostly?

Because people had confidence in the economy that Howard and Costello had influenced and presided over - the vitals were all there: low interest rates, high employment, low inflation, economic growth, for the most part favourable trade figures.

People saw year after year of this during this period so were comfortable and willing to go out there and secure credit from the banks to enhance their investment portfolios.

Don't forget also that the Australian mortgage industry suffered nowhere near the amount of foreclosures just before the GFC that were forced onto people in the US because of their inability to repay their loans. This is largely due to the tight regulatory controls that Costello had implemented through ASIC.

quote:
Originally posted by bigcol

If there was any morality in the LNP government they would have waited till QLD could afford it and increase it every year till their salary caught up.

The problem was Bligh. She should have changed the law. She didn't the power just to tell pollies that they couldn't get their pay rises in line with the Federal MPs. A fellow MP as that is all she was under the Act cannot deny what is a legal obligation to pay MPs.

Now it has become a matter of whether the MPs want to claim backpay which is rightfully theirs to claim. Some say they won't with Seeney claiming that he will name and shame the ones that do but others, especially the ones out of Parliament like Schwarten feel like it is money owed to them and will go after it.

**** me changing history once again Bundy.
Interest rates were on the way down long before Howard took office and Keating was the one that reformed the banks.
Credit card expenditure also went through the roof because the banks were throwing around so much money it wasn't funny. It had nothing to do with Howard

On Bligh and not taking the pay rises.
It was the moral thing to do because the rest of us were going through the belt tightening.

Funny but you blame her.
Which LNP member bought it up that they deserved the pay rise and which LNP member decided they should seek legal advice on it.

The LNP also changed the legislation so they could sack a heap of public servants that were on long term contracts. They did that within weeks of forming government. If they were fair dinkum about looking after the QLD taxpayer they would also change the legislation regarding their pay packets.

But like every promise Newman made this is just another one of his lies.
You LNP fanboys have a go about Gillard lying.
She has nothing on the LNP in QLD when it comes to telling porkies pies
All the Newman LNP government has done in this state is tear it apart

ONLY LITTLE BOYZ WEAR BOWTIES
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  09:42:09  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A couple of things - if interest rates were going down, wouldn't that maintain or increase the use of credit cards? Interest rates were going down because the economy, taken over by Rudd, was starting to hit **** creek

And on the pay increase, the Government moved on it because it was susceptible to legal challenge for MPs rights to claim backpay.

Oh and how did Keating reform the banks? Remember the Coalition enacted law in 1998 that ASIC would have responsibility to oversee the banks and don't forget too that Howard separated the Reserve Bank from the government by making it independent.

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  09:47:30  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You're an idiot

Like to tell me how much your credit card interest has gone down.
That's right most haven't
You made the claim about Howard and people purchasing properties.

How old were you when Howard came to power 5 maybe 6 years old.

Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  10:13:30  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

You're an idiot

Like to tell me how much your credit card interest has gone down.
That's right most haven't
You made the claim about Howard and people purchasing properties.

How old were you when Howard came to power 5 maybe 6 years old.

The simple fact of the matter is spending as a portion of income on credit cards started to go down from 2004. And growth in the average debt held by credit card holders began to fall in 2007. Not to mention the average credit card debt per card is at its lowest level in 3 years.

Signs to me that the confidence in the economy is nowhere near what it was 10 years ago, despite interest rates being lower.

For some more friendly reading I recommend this article:

http://www.bankers.asn.au/Media/ABA-Blog/Blogs/The-myth-of-the-credit-card-debt-crisis

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  13:00:36  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I wish you'd stick to the same story rather than chopping and changing from one thing to the next

You made the claim about the confidence in the economy and people purchasing property when the truth of the matter was the banks world wide were flush with cash. It had nothing to do with Howards policies
I stated interest rates were already on the way down before Howard took office and they were on the way up when he left.

since the GFC people have been trying to free themselves from debt
In fact in the last 12 months over a billion has been taken off credit card debt.

That article didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.
People are sick of getting screwed and are weighing up their credit card use, who it is with and how much interest they are paying on it

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9780 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  13:10:13  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hearing Kevin Rudd telling us that Tony Abbott's policy of "turning back the boats" was risking "conflict" with Indonesia stirred something in my fading memory cells. It was back in 2007, prior to the election that Kevin said of boats containing asylum seekers heading to Australia: "We'd turn them back. You cannot have anything that is orderly if you allow people who do not have a lawful visa in this country to roam free."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/defence/rudd-to-turn-back-boatpeople/story-e6frg8yx-1111114943944

Sounds like we were lucky to have avoided war with Indonesia - or lucky that what Kevin says and what Kevin does are very different things.

Edited by - Zac on 03 Jul 2013 17:40:12
Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot

12532 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  17:04:36  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Why do you think people were taking out debt to purchase property and the such around the period of 2002-2006 mostly?

Because people had confidence in the economy that Howard and Costello had influenced and presided over - the vitals were all there: low interest rates, high employment, low inflation, economic growth, for the most part favourable trade figures.

People saw year after year of this during this period so were comfortable and willing to go out there and secure credit from the banks to enhance their investment portfolios.

Don't forget also that the Australian mortgage industry suffered nowhere near the amount of foreclosures just before the GFC that were forced onto people in the US because of their inability to repay their loans. This is largely due to the tight regulatory controls that Costello had implemented through ASIC.

Confidence hey? That why housing slowed to a crawl in Howard's 2nd term. He is also responsible for the single biggest tax imposed on Australia, raising inflation over 4% in one night.

You rave on about how Howard and Costello did with "low interest rates, high employment, low inflation, economic growth, for the most part favourable trade figures."

Well with Labor, interest rates are lower, still high employment, lower inflation, continuing 22 years of economic growth. Libs probably win with the trade figures, they had our dollar in the doldrums for years.

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  17:48:12  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

I wish you'd stick to the same story rather than chopping and changing from one thing to the next

You made the claim about the confidence in the economy and people purchasing property when the truth of the matter was the banks world wide were flush with cash. It had nothing to do with Howards policies
I stated interest rates were already on the way down before Howard took office and they were on the way up when he left.

since the GFC people have been trying to free themselves from debt
In fact in the last 12 months over a billion has been taken off credit card debt.

That article didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.
People are sick of getting screwed and are weighing up their credit card use, who it is with and how much interest they are paying on it

It was easier to obtain credit back then but there was still the same obligations on borrowers and consequences for them if they didn't pay it back as there are today. The banks didn't hold a gun to their customers' heads and demanded they borrow money from them; they borrowed in their own free will because they had confidence in the economy that it would remain strong and their jobs would be secure.

Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  18:06:20  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
More BS

they borrowed because they wanted something or had to pay something. It really is that simple

Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  21:16:03  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

More BS

they borrowed because they wanted something or had to pay something. It really is that simple

WTF?

No one in their right mind borrows money if they are not assured of themselves that they will pay it back. The strong economy as it was under Howard provided them that assurance and that word again confidence.

Also, you need to get it through your head that falling interest rates as you contend that occured at the end of the Keating era and as what is currently happening indicate an economy that is struggling.

Go to Top of Page

bigem
A polar bear

Australia
15994 Posts
joined 22 Jun 04

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  21:40:56  Show Profile Send bigem a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

More BS

WTF?

No one in their right mind borrows money if they are not assured of themselves that they will pay it back.

With a national credit card debt approaching $50 Billion, and over 70000 people a year seeking aid to pay their credit debts, their are lots of Australians out there who are not of a right mind apparently!!

New Commodore Hey! So you used your own money? Would you like to buy a used bridge?
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  22:39:51  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

More BS

WTF?

No one in their right mind borrows money if they are not assured of themselves that they will pay it back. The strong economy as it was under Howard provided them that assurance and that word again confidence.

Also, you need to get it through your head that falling interest rates as you contend that occured at the end of the Keating era and as what is currently happening indicate an economy that is struggling.

If that's the case please explain why interest rates remained low nearly all the way through the Howards governments term and it was only at the end when they started to rise in line with inflation.

In fact Howard and Costuslots used to bang on about low interest rates under the coalition government.
So what your now saying is that the economy was rooted while they were in power and that's why they had low interest rates

Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  22:47:54  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

quote:

More BS

WTF?

If that's the case please explain why interest rates remained low nearly all the way through the Howards governments term and it was only at the end when they started to rise in line with inflation.

In fact Howard and Costuslots used to bang on about low interest rates under the coalition government.
So what your now saying is that the economy was rooted while they were in power and that's why they had low interest rates

They were only low 'historically' under Howard when compared to what they were under Hawke and Keating. That said, the interest rates that they were at under Howard still allowed the economy to grow while keeping inflation in check.

Under Rudd they were again lower but for reasons more to do with having to deal with the GFC and the weaker Australian economy that came with it.

Edited by - bundy5 on 04 Jul 2013 15:01:30
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 6.38 seconds.