V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

willsy
V8 Taxi Driver

Australia
3165 Posts
joined 21 Nov 07

Posted - 11 Jul 2013 :  10:11:54  Show Profile  Visit willsy's Homepage Send willsy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Maybe a wrecking ball is needed to take a few steps back and get it all on track and moving ahead again Col? Time will tell by the time the nest QLD election rocks up if its worked I would assume.

I agree with Bundy, some help needs to be factored in for the struggling industries out there. Simply bypassing them and giving to the consumer is never going to work long term. I would rather see a strong workplace that people had comfort in their jobs and being paid well to cover taxes, than what we have now with a lot of businesses struggling and cutting hours, bonuses, pay amounts etc. Whats the point of people losing pay and then having to find ways of giving them money directly, be it through tax breaks, handouts, utility subsidies etc and having to create new jobs to keep them in work. Just keep the existing businesses strong and all will be better off.

I cant see how it can be said to simply change your business to find a way to make it work when your industry is made to suffer. Easy to say, but in practice do you have to retrain all your staff, get new machinery to chase a different approach, outlay more money in different advertising campaigns etc? Easy to say, far from easy to do. If a government has affected your industry, for sure you will want to see change in government, not turn your business over to suit them...

Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 11 Jul 2013 :  10:29:22  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I know of at least 4 people who don't know the difference between State and Federal Governments, and they are not on their own, they think the Feds are responsible for some State issues, you might be surprised Bundy if you questioned them further, people do get confused

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 11 Jul 2013 :  10:39:29  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I was also talking to a guy that works on the ports the other day. A casual but been working there for 10+ years. Anyway with the drop in the value of our currency it means less imports and less ships coming in having to take the cargo off. As a result he's getting less hours and made worse with the ports taking on more workers which means reduced hours to go around. This leads me to my next point about supposed good employment when more than I can recall the employment figures are being assisted by people remaining in their jobs and even moving to part-time on less hours as opposed to large scale full time employment positions being created.

And Willsy makes a good point, if your business has been successful in the past, why should they have to change and adapt? The only way they should change and adapt is if the government is happy to sit back and kill off the industry the business operates in.

quote:
Originally posted by Trev

I know of at least 4 people who don't know the difference between State and Federal Governments, and they are not on their own, they think the Feds are responsible for some State issues, you might be surprised Bundy if you questioned them further, people do get confused

The swinging voters generally know the difference. That's all that really matters.

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.

Edited by - bundy5 on 11 Jul 2013 10:47:02
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 11 Jul 2013 :  11:23:39  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh really, so these people are out there ****-bagging Governments but not knowing which ones they are ****-bagging and that is OK with you - hmmmm????

quote:
if your business has been successful in the past, why should they have to change and adapt?
FFS, I can't believe I am reading this for a couple of reasons, to make your business successful you MUST "change and adapt" otherwise the world will pass you by and secondly, things are very very different post GFC and for no other reason you MUST also "change and adapt", it is good business acumen, I thought all business people knew that (says I typing this and seriously scratching my head)

Edited by - Trev on 11 Jul 2013 11:24:19
Go to Top of Page

willsy
V8 Taxi Driver

Australia
3165 Posts
joined 21 Nov 07

Posted - 11 Jul 2013 :  11:30:52  Show Profile  Visit willsy's Homepage Send willsy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So how do you adapt in sign making Trev as an example? Businesses in general at the moment will not spend money in upgrading signage or will do the bare minimum to get through at the moment. When they will not spend the money, how the heck can you "change and adapt" to suit that?!

Again easy to say, not easy to actually carry out...

To show one long time company we deal with at DZignFX Signs, is a real estate company that 2 financial years a go spent nearly $100k with us, and the last one spent $28k. They said their sales are down 40% so they cant spend the money till things improve. How do we change strategies to recoup this for instance?

Edited by - willsy on 11 Jul 2013 11:40:05
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 11 Jul 2013 :  12:06:24  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Oh really, so these people are out there ****-bagging Governments but not knowing which ones they are ****-bagging and that is OK with you - hmmmm????

Yeah they're usually the rusted on labor supporters too!

That small business owner that runs a printing business that I mentioned before also said that he knows of other printing guys that just don't have the cash flow or discretionary funding available for even the most basic outlays such as maintenance whereby they are now just running the machinery until it dies without running the regular maintenance check-ups on it.

If this is indicative of other small businesses that require machinery to produce output, not only is it a bad sign for the economy that consumer confidence is low but obviously presents to me a O H & S risk, wouldn't you agree Trev?

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.

Edited by - bundy5 on 11 Jul 2013 12:07:44
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 11 Jul 2013 :  12:08:32  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You look for other ways to make money, outside the square, but sticking with what you know, I don't know your business Simon, but the ones who adapt and change will survive, no point sitting on your hands waiting for a miracle, we are all masters of our own destiny. I am not for one minute saying it is easy out there, it is tough as hell, I get that. I am please to be working for a boss, but again there is no certainty in my job either, my job relies on sales just like your does, we used to have plenty of good quality salespeople now we have one, the pressure they are under is enormous. I have had to re-invent myself in my job, if I didn't I would have been made redundant, it applies to all of us.

By the way, are you graphic designers or sign makers?

Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 11 Jul 2013 :  12:44:30  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Tasmania often gets shafted in these debates about how bad or good each respective State has it. If the people don't wake up and stop voting for that Labor/Green alliance down there it's going to need some serious saving/intervention. Unemployment up to 8.9% from 7.5% in Tasmania, nationally unemployment worse levels in 4 years to 5.7% from 5.5% which again also includes what I have been saying that there has been a significant shift to part-time work over full-time.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/economics/jobless-rate-rises-to-57pc/story-e6frg926-1226677591687

Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 11 Jul 2013 :  13:28:34  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Maybe you should get off the net and watch Kevin Rudd on the ABC right now, even I am impressed

Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 11 Jul 2013 :  13:36:24  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Maybe you should get off the net and watch Kevin Rudd on the ABC right now, even I am impressed

Nah I'll be right but thanks for the offer.

Even you Trev who couldn't help but have a go at him only a few pages back are now starting to become immersed in his art of political spin.

I wouldn't say it is contagious yet given you are prone to accepting Rudd's dribble.

Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 11 Jul 2013 :  15:34:21  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Also a page or 2 ago, I said that I don't like the man, but he does talk some sense, but if it means keeping Abbott out of the Lodge then I am all for it. And yes I am very aware of his spin

Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22232 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 11 Jul 2013 :  17:43:39  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Australia's unemployment rate has risen to its highest point in almost four years and economists predict conditions will get worse for jobseekers.

Not a good sign and certainly paints a very different picture to the one Swan used to paint.

http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/newsbusiness/aap/8688157/aust-jobless-rate-5-7-in-june
Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot

12532 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 11 Jul 2013 :  18:47:46  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

quote:
Originally posted by Legendary Gerry

Australia's unemployment rate has risen to its highest point in almost four years and economists predict conditions will get worse for jobseekers.

Not a good sign and certainly paints a very different picture to the one Swan used to paint.

http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/newsbusiness/aap/8688157/aust-jobless-rate-5-7-in-june

quote:
What! It's only gone up now? Those same economists have been predicting the end is nigh, for years.

So are you saying it's only gone up now or are you saying the article says that?

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford

Edited by - Legendary Gerry on 11 Jul 2013 20:28:56
Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot

12532 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 11 Jul 2013 :  20:40:55  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey WTF LG! Want to watch what posts you edit? What did you do with my reply to willsy?

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 11 Jul 2013 :  20:41:01  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Legendary Gerry

My link wasn't good enough?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.03 seconds.