V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

falcon_cobra
Kiss Fanatic

Sweden
8813 Posts
joined 02 Dec 04

Posted - 21 Jul 2013 :  19:24:04  Show Profile  Click to see falcon_cobra's MSN Messenger address Send falcon_cobra a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bigem

quote:
Originally posted by falcon_cobra

quote:
Originally posted by Trev

Pardon my ignorance, but has this FBT policy come in already or are people getting all excited for nothing?

+1

I don't see the problem
if you are using your car for the RIGHT purpose, you have nothing to worry about,

SS/FBT wasn't never meant to be a way to rort the system

If it gets through the houses it will date back to July 16 2013.

Its not a rort at all, its a legitamite means of keeping cash flowing through the cash registers, more efficient and safer cars on the road.

Australia used to have cars on average 12-15 yo on the road, since SS came in the age of cars has dropped to an average of 10 yo and still dropping which means Australians are driving more efficient and safer cars.

This move will once again turn Australia into a country riddled with cars that are again considered old, inefficient and unsafe.

Its a backward step and will definitely get labor booted, it effects several hundred thousand people!!

if its not rorting the system, why are people pulling out and running scared?

_Mvolvo
Go to Top of Page

bigem
A polar bear

Australia
15994 Posts
joined 22 Jun 04

Posted - 21 Jul 2013 :  22:22:59  Show Profile Send bigem a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by bigem

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Trev

Pardon my ignorance, but has this FBT policy come in already or are people getting all excited for nothing?

+1

I don't see the problem
if you are using your car for the RIGHT purpose, you have nothing to worry about,

SS/FBT wasn't never meant to be a way to rort the system

If it gets through the houses it will date back to July 16 2013.

Its not a rort at all, its a legitamite means of keeping cash flowing through the cash registers, more efficient and safer cars on the road.

Australia used to have cars on average 12-15 yo on the road, since SS came in the age of cars has dropped to an average of 10 yo and still dropping which means Australians are driving more efficient and safer cars.

This move will once again turn Australia into a country riddled with cars that are again considered old, inefficient and unsafe.

Its a backward step and will definitely get labor booted, it effects several hundred thousand people!!

if its not rorting the system, why are people pulling out and running scared?

Because its going to cost them more money to buy the car.

There is more to it than just getting a reduced level of taxation, which is the biggest incentive to buy a car on SS.

SS ensures cars are sold in big numbers and it provides a steady stream of low kilometre and well serviced second hand cars onto the market for people who don't earn enough to buy a new car.

These second hand cars are newer than what they might have been able to buy prior to the introduction of SS.

Put simply, if car buyers stop buying new cars, it has a detrimental flow on effect to the economy, our national fleet starts to age again, its stupid in the current economic climate: its regressive!!

Rudd has told us that we must spend money to keep our economy rolling along, then he comes out with a policy designed to do the opposite?

New Commodore Hey! So you used your own money? Would you like to buy a used bridge?
Go to Top of Page

falcon_cobra
Kiss Fanatic

Sweden
8813 Posts
joined 02 Dec 04

Posted - 22 Jul 2013 :  06:21:23  Show Profile  Click to see falcon_cobra's MSN Messenger address Send falcon_cobra a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
what was the original intention of a Salary Sacrifice Vehicle?

_Mvolvo
Go to Top of Page

bigem
A polar bear

Australia
15994 Posts
joined 22 Jun 04

Posted - 22 Jul 2013 :  13:52:34  Show Profile Send bigem a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Salary sacrifice is not just about vehicles, its Superannuation, health care, mortgages, it takes in many different things.

Not sure why it was introduced in the first place, I do know it has been one of the best things for local vehicle manufacturers.

Rudd has gone after the cars due to mis-information supplied by treasury, and people who don't understand it have taken the bait on 'ripping off the system' etc etc.

They are quoting numbers that are not true, especially in respect to luxury vehicles.

Rudd could not have driven a nail deeper into the Australian manufacturers coffins if he tried.

Its a stupid decision!!

New Commodore Hey! So you used your own money? Would you like to buy a used bridge?
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22231 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 22 Jul 2013 :  15:17:25  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A good mate owns a rustproofing, window tinting, paint and upholstery protection business here.
Usually on a Monday morning by about 10:00am he's had between 12 and 15 orders come through from new car dealers.
I was there this morning at 10:30am when his first order came through.
Whether this idea has become law is irrelevant - it's ****ed new car sales already.
Well done Labor and Rudd for yet another very poorly thought out scheme.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 22 Jul 2013 :  16:32:07  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Of course the media would have reported the facts - NOT!!!!!

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot

12532 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 22 Jul 2013 :  16:34:08  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Coyote302

So fleet companies sacking people and a reduction in new car sales is ok with you?

Wow, In less than a week from an announcement of a policy to mass lay offs. You might fall for it but I won't.

The law will still allow people to salary sacrifice and lease cars as usual. They just have to prove what the car will actually be used for.

So ****ing funny listening to conservatives piss and moan about losing a perk when they have no problems with a coalition government taxing the less well off so the middle and top end can keep getting said perks.

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22231 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 22 Jul 2013 :  18:20:09  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I own all my cars outright Albert so it doesn't affect me.
Am I still allowed to think they've done the wrong thing; as in gone about this the wrong way as usual?
Go to Top of Page

bigem
A polar bear

Australia
15994 Posts
joined 22 Jun 04

Posted - 22 Jul 2013 :  19:11:13  Show Profile Send bigem a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/treasury/top-makers-claim-orders-for-fleet-sales-have-ground-to-a-halt/story-fn59nsif-1226681640416

Articles a couple of days old but its on the money.

The numbers dont lie, the locals depend on fleet/leasing deals to move cars, take that away and they are no longer competitive because they will have no choice but to increase their prices as demand drops.

If you want to see the local manufacturers all out, this is as good as a grandstand seat to watch it from!!

I read one article where the latest act was compared to the FBT imposed on business lunches by Hawke and Keating almost 30 years ago, and how its impact was negligable on the resturant community.

The car business isnt about doing lunch once every couple of weeks, resturants come and go, once your car industry is gone, its gone!!

Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17532 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 22 Jul 2013 :  19:31:10  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
car manufacturing is on its knees and they do this ???....****ers !!

hockey made a witty remark the other day he called rudd " kevin kardashin "

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

bigem
A polar bear

Australia
15994 Posts
joined 22 Jun 04

Posted - 22 Jul 2013 :  21:21:48  Show Profile Send bigem a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne

car manufacturing is on its knees and they do this ???....****ers !!

hockey made a witty remark the other day he called rudd " kevin kardashin "

I prefer

Kevin the Wrecker!!

My missus reckons its

Kevin the ****er!!

Go to Top of Page

falcon_cobra
Kiss Fanatic

Sweden
8813 Posts
joined 02 Dec 04

Posted - 23 Jul 2013 :  06:06:34  Show Profile  Click to see falcon_cobra's MSN Messenger address Send falcon_cobra a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I still think its people bitching about losing a bit of money because they are USING their cars for the wrong purpose

_Mvolvo
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9780 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 23 Jul 2013 :  07:08:13  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's not often that Albie and I are on the same page, but we are here.
quote:
Originally posted by AlbertM

The law will still allow people to salary sacrifice and lease cars as usual. They just have to prove what the car will actually be used for.
Not only that, but they only have to do it for a few months. I still don't like the timing or the reasoning for the changes, but I have no problem with the rest of it. When is a rort not a rort? Answer: When you're part of it - except I'm part of it.

It appears to be more of Kevin's policy on the run, looking at the probable holes in the new rules, but it won't be retrospective as someone suggested. IF Labor wins the election, IF it goes ahead with the new Salary Sacrifice laws, and IF they pass into legislation, they will come into place in April 2014. So much for all the "woe is me" happening now.

BTW, I can see the new rules being rorted too. I remember doing the logbook thing, recording trips, fuel, etc. back in the mid 90s. Suddenly, private kMs become business, but I wasn't queried on why an HSV was being used as a courier vehicle. (Actually, it was a few times. I remember amongst other actual "business k's" doing a trip to Scone and back, exchanging contracts on a racehorse for Mike Willesee.)

Edited by - Zac on 23 Jul 2013 07:47:29
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22231 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 23 Jul 2013 :  08:13:37  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Never did a business trip to Scone Zac, but did many to Ellerston
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 23 Jul 2013 :  09:29:19  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I did a business trip to Cape York once.
A few years earlier I did one to the Birdsville races

I don't SS and I buy vehicles that you don't have to pay FBT on.
My company does pay for it all though

ONLY LITTLE BOYZ WEAR BOWTIES
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 18.09 seconds.