V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  23:22:24  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by AlbertM

Yep Rudd has a habit of changing his mind, although Abbott has been leading that charge the last few weeks. And wasn't it one of your arguments against mine that the government must adapt and move with current situations?

What the current situation that we are massively in debt so we should stop spending? Too late

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.
Go to Top of Page

Peak Revs
Transporter Driver

65 Posts
joined 05 May 06

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  07:52:47  Show Profile  Visit Peak Revs's Homepage Send Peak Revs a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
this morning I agree with mark latham . beer goggles bwahahaha

how can aboott represent us on the world stage . sex appeal . abbott is like prince phillip, just opens his mouth to change feet

Edited by - Peak Revs on 15 Aug 2013 07:54:38
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  09:24:14  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So at the end of the day the choice is real clear it's between a government that is proven to be incompetent, that has broken numerous promises and has been competely disunited and is campaigning against its own record vs. an opposition that has been wholely united, that has campaigned against the policies of this failed government which is a factor as to why this label of negativity has surfaced for them and a leader who makes the occasional gaffe depending on how one views it. It is extraordinary to think that Labor should be given another chance.

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.
Go to Top of Page

hml2777
Pit Crew

Cuba
193 Posts
joined 09 Mar 05

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  12:54:11  Show Profile Send hml2777 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
incompetent where? Failed where? Oh, you mean the policies that kept us out of the recession - doh!!!!

I will agree with disunity, but Libs have their time as well, just are secretive about it, just like their policies are secret

NEGATIVE and ABBOTT belong in the same sentence, old MR No himself

Edited by - hml2777 on 15 Aug 2013 12:55:58
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  13:03:25  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by hml2777

incompetent where? Failed where? Oh, you mean the policies that kept us out of the recession - doh!!!!

I will agree with disunity, but Libs have their time as well, just are secretive about it, just like their policies are secret

You really want me to list his failed policies and that of Gillard's as well

quote:
NEGATIVE and ABBOTT belong in the same sentence, old MR No himself

Well he is in opposition and this government is inept, so what do you expect?

He's not exactly going to be full of praise for the government or why else would we want to vote for him if he can't provide an alternative?

Go to Top of Page

hml2777
Pit Crew

Cuba
193 Posts
joined 09 Mar 05

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  13:37:22  Show Profile Send hml2777 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yep, policies that were implemented and failed and I mean 'failed', I don't mean 'failed to live up to your expectations'
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22229 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  15:02:03  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Yep, policies that were implemented and failed and I mean 'failed', I don't mean 'failed to live up to your expectations'

Does failed include wasted millions and millions of dollars?
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9779 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  15:17:23  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We get numbed to the number and size of failed Labor policies, so I can see how people might need reminding. Off the top of my head:

The failure of continued revised policies to control our borders. We've come a long way from Kevin's pre 2007 election promise to turn back boats and stop the trade of people smugglers. We've now had over 50,000 uninvited arrivals with a total cost that I doubt anyone has really calculated. There's a stack of failed policies just there. Julia's East Timor policy, the Malaysian solution etc. We've now got Tony Burke telling us that the rate of arrivals has really slowed since the message got out about Mannus Island to the people smugglers. The numbers show that they're not taking any notice.

Green Loans debacle, Cash for Clunkers failure, Grocery Watch, Fuel Watch, Home Insulation $3.7 billion debacle, the Mining Tax that was to raise billions and raised nothing, live meat export market collapse, GP Superclinics: Remember them? There were going to be 30+, but the scheme got canned at 2. If we regard a 'failed policy' as one that gets canned well before it was due to finish - and with costs going out of control, all of those qualify. I'm sure there's plenty of places on the net where you could find plenty more - and then there's the ones that the government calls successes, like the BER. Yes, schools got lots of halls and COLAs and libraries - but due to the lack of checks and balances and the great haste to get it up and running, there was massive waste - like, billions of dollars waste. While I type, I keep thinking of lots of other little ones. Whatever happened to the 'laptop for every student' idea? Just fell over, I think. Then there's been the talk-fests that went nowhere, etc etc.

The net result is a financial debacle. We have gone from a healthy surplus to around $250 billion debt in six years. Two hundred and fifty thousand million. Wayne Swan (in a rare moment of clarity before he jumped) predicted it would go over $300 billion in the next couple of years. That was a refreshing change from all those budget surpluses he kept predicting. You could say that regularly assuring us that we would have a surplus and then giving us ever bigger deficits is a policy failure. Just a little one. Implemented and failed, just as you asked.

Edited by - Zac on 15 Aug 2013 15:18:35
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  15:18:38  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

A failed policy is amongst others things but mainly one that costs millions and billions above what it was originally announced to cost. In the alternative, one that doesn't generate anything near the kind of revenue it predicted. Also, one that failed to meet time-frames for implementation and one that doesn't achieve its presumed objectives etc -

let's start with Rudd:

Pink batts - billion over the estimated budget, resulted in the unfortunate deaths of workers
School halls - again massively over budget due to, in part, builders gouging the system and lack of oversight to properly reign in costs both State and Federally.
Stimulus handouts - $900 went to estates of the deceased and went to people overseas when the objective of the stimulus was to hand out money so that the public could spend it immediately and in Australia
Boat people - dismantled effective immigration policy because he underestimated its ability in preventing illegal boat arrivals. 45000 people in Australia have come since.
Carbon Trading System - failed to implement one despite it being 'the greatest moral dilemma facing our generation'

For Gillard whose minority government Rudd leads:

Mining Tax - devised and enacted a tax that collected a minuscule of what it was predicted to collect.
Budget surplus - despite years and years of promising a surplus even as late as for this year's budget we are yet to see a Labor party surplus and won't see one at best till 2016/2017 if we are to believe their figures which given their track record is a highly dubious thing to do.
Carbon Tax - let's forget about the broken promise as bad as that is by itself and will probably cost Labor victory on September 7 but the actual mechanism itself is a failure if it compensates some households
more than what the actual tax is going to cost. It defeats the purpose of the tax in the first place if the net effect means that it isn't going to change households' behaviour towards energy consumption.
Forgot to add in (yep another failure) NBN - will be hugely over budget - NBN co silent on this and the government has been misleading the public over this one - it is known that contractors are struggling to do installations based on the fee that the government is giving them, this has now been increased. So again it is a lie from the Government that the NBN won't come in over budget and over by a large margin.

Finally Legacy - if we are to believe the government's legacy the mining boom is over and it's time to start focusing on other sectors of our economy, we have seen record revenue from mining but we have also seen record spending and what I want to know is where has it all gone?

We are left with debt climbing to 400 billion, 30 billion working deficit and future funds for both health, education and pensions pillaged and we are getting to a point where baby boomers are close to retirement age and will be a huge drag on our tax receipts when they retire.

Labor are famous for leaving a mess for the liberals then to go in after and clean up. After September 7 this will be no different but given the extent of the damage caused, we could be feeling the effects of the clean-up for many years to come.

Edited by - bundy5 on 15 Aug 2013 15:26:45
Go to Top of Page

willsy
V8 Taxi Driver

Australia
3165 Posts
joined 21 Nov 07

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  15:23:26  Show Profile  Visit willsy's Homepage Send willsy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Legendary Gerry

quote:

Does failed include wasted millions and millions of dollars?

Yeah a big fail. Labor continue to forecast expected revenues that always fall short and we lose many $billions through this year after year. We keep hearing about bringing the debt back into order from them, but then always hear the excuse after they fail, that its because of yet another unexpected drop in revenue. Maybe they should just assume it will be bad, and work to that for once...

Edited by - willsy on 15 Aug 2013 15:29:11
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9779 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  15:47:03  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's funny, that unexpected drop in revenue. Since 2007, Government revenue has been higher than it's ever been in our history. More like an unexpected over-estimation of expected revenue.
Go to Top of Page

hml2777
Pit Crew

Cuba
193 Posts
joined 09 Mar 05

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  15:58:16  Show Profile Send hml2777 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bundy5

A failed policy is amongst others things but mainly one that costs millions and billions above what it was originally announced to cost.

don't change the rules, you were the one that gobbed off about failed, tell us the ones that have failed
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9779 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  15:59:12  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Apart from the ones we've already given you?
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22229 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  16:09:10  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9779 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  16:22:28  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OR...

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhowh8xuHL1qg5cxlo1_400.jpg
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 12.31 seconds.