V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14227 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 21 Aug 2013 :  08:33:39  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Zac...one for you to do...be honest now..!http://www.theguardian.com/world/interactive/2013/aug/15/prime-minister-machine-australian-pm

I came out 40% Milne, 30% Rudd, 20% Katter and 10% the wombat...sorry Abbott! PM Type: Frankenprime???

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Edited by - REM on 21 Aug 2013 09:18:51
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 21 Aug 2013 :  09:07:11  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Apart from broken lives and promises lets see what sort of legacy the LNP leave.

Go back and read my original posts about the desal plant. You claim it's not needed but we were all so close to running out of water.

What the LNP preach and what happened are 2 totally different things.

You and the LNP claim we didn't need the water grid yet in 04 05 the Gold Coast was surviving off of water pumped from Wivanhoe dam.
Hinze dam named after one of QLDs corrupt National party politicians was a puddle and in less than 6 months of usage, it would drop by 30%. Meaning without outside help the Gold Coast without rain had about 18 months of water supply.
It also filled over night in 06. After 06 it got enough rainfall that they were able to pump water back into Brisbane and that had to happen anyway as they were finally going to start the raising of the dam wall. The raising of the Hinze dam wall plus the associated roadworks was $400 million

During the height of the drought water was also being pumped to the Nth Pine dam.
Every shire in SE QLD had a drinking water problem and the part of the grid that was up and running was helping alleviate the problems.
The $383 million Wyaralong Dam near Beaudesert is also part of drought and flood proofing SE QLD. Wyaralong will also be hooked into the grid once the treatment plant has been built. It's been budgeted for in 2014/15
Logans mayor Pam Parker and Scenic Rim Mayor John Brent are both on record as saying that they believed Logan was spared from severe flooding in 2011 and again in 2012. More water fell in the catchment in 2012 than what did during the 74 floods

Both these projects saved thousands of homes from being flooded. We also have a stable water supply.

Lets look at Toowoomba. Before the terrible flooding of 2011 they had less than 7% supply.
In October 2010 the amount of water pumped through the grid to Toowoomba's Cressbrook Dam was doubled to around 60 mega litres a day

The pipeline between the Sunshine Coast and Brisbane is now complete and that will fix any problems that they might encounter.

A pipeline was even built from the Boondoomba-Tarong pipe line to Kingaroy. They were running dry and had the highest water restrictions

This was all part of a 50 year blueprint to ensure we were never in a position that we came all so close too.
If the water level got much lower the government was ready to ensure the drinking water supply.
That meant when it was low enough any industry that used potable water would have had the taps turned off.
What does that mean. Thousands out of work.
No Landscaping industry, No Building or construction or any industry that used water, unless it was recycled water and in a lot of areas that has only just become available

and you reckon it was a waste of money NFI

I think a reliable water source for the next 50 odd years is a very good legacy.
Somehow I don't think we'll be talking about this current LNP government like that
Here's what they think of the water supply
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/no-budget-money-for-brisbanes-threatened-water-supply-20130603-2nm19.html

This LNP government can't even do what all politicians are experts at.
They even ****ed up their own pay rise

EDIT
Is it any wonder I hate Abbott with a passion
40% Rudd
30% Katter
20% Milne
10% Abbott

Could have given Phoney what he deserves.
ZERO.
I nearly went with Rudd on native title

ONLY LITTLE BOYZ WEAR BOWTIES

Edited by - bigcol on 21 Aug 2013 09:19:41
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 21 Aug 2013 :  09:31:28  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
And we could have saved a few more houses if Bligh had released more water down the Brisbane river in the weeks before the epic floods in January 2011.

And I thought Sir Joh built the Wivenhoe? That's something, right?

No good blaming entirely the Nationals for your perceived lack of water infrastructure, as since 07, Labor had governed the state for 15 out of the 17 years.

Bottom line is the buck stops with beattie. Build the infrastructure to safeguard the state from drought, and when it does look like a hero or appear instead as being the wasteful clown who blew it all on dodgy deals such as the water grid, de sal plant and traveston dam. Beattie took the risk and as it failed should take the consequences.

quote:
Originally posted by REM

Zac...one for you to do...be honest now..!http://www.theguardian.com/world/interactive/2013/aug/15/prime-minister-machine-australian-pm

I came out 40% Milne, 30% Rudd, 20% Katter and 10% the wombat...sorry Abbott! PM Type: Frankenprime???

Haha 40% Milne. Not surprised

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.

Edited by - bundy5 on 21 Aug 2013 09:38:30
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 21 Aug 2013 :  10:01:45  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Failed.

So Toowommba survived without the water from the grid.
And Kingaroy drunk air as opposed to water.
I suppose water to the Hinze dam was beamed up by Scotty and the Starship Enterprise.
and then teleported back to Wivanhoe.

You really live in fantasy land

Yep the most corrupt Premier in our history built the Wivanhoe. I never said he didn't.
I also haven't blamed the Nationals for anything regarding the infrastructure.
You really should brush up on your comprehension skills

Don't blame Bligh. The same weather extreme flooded Toowmoomba and the Lockyer Valley that day killing a lot of people and water flows into Wivanhoe were in-accurate because the flows were so great that it washed away a lot of the sensors in the river and creeks.
Besides she only did what the engineers told her and that was changing, not by the day, not by the hour, but by the minute.
IIRC the dam that day went from around 115% capacity to something like 240% in around a day and half.
Nothing in any of the manuals that the engineers had at their disposal could relate to that volume of water

There was a line of storms stretching from the Sunshine Coast in the north to Stanthorpe in the south.
All the BoM modelling suggested that this line of storms would move south throughout the early morning and be gone from the SE by lunch time.
However it didn't move and the heaviest rain fell in the Wivanhoe catchment across to Toowoomba.
At time they were getting falls of up to 100mm per hour.

Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 21 Aug 2013 :  10:10:03  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bigcol

Don't blame Bligh. The same weather extreme flooded Toowmoomba and the Lockyer Valley that day killing a lot of people and water flows into Wivanhoe were in-accurate because the flows were so great that it washed away a lot of the sensors in the river and creeks.
Besides she only did what the engineers told her and that was changing, not by the day, not by the hour, but by the minute.
IIRC the dam that day went from around 115% capacity to something like 240% in around a day and half.

As I said before the fault lies with the Premier. She can blame the advice all she likes but at the end of the day the decision is hers. She should have released more water in light of the weather predictions but she didn't and a good part of Brisbane and Ipswich flooded due to her incompetence and inaction.

quote:
Originally posted by REM

Predictably for me it was 70% for Abbott, then 10% each for the others (yes I do have a moral compass on some issues )

However I do question the validity of some of the policies they attribute to the particular parties though. Perhaps an indication of the left leaning nature of The Guardian and REM's natural gravitation towards it.

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.

Edited by - bundy5 on 21 Aug 2013 10:22:36
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14227 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 21 Aug 2013 :  10:22:53  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Nice score Col...you are a well balanced individual!

What was your PM type? There is a name...

Bundy....no surprises there....just to the right of Ghenghis Khan...as David Oldfield use to say...

Looking forward to Zac's scoring....

Edited by - REM on 21 Aug 2013 10:24:55
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 21 Aug 2013 :  10:29:55  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Been doing work experience at Maurice Blackburn I see.

BoM didn't predict it. Apart from one line of storms SE QLDs skies were blue that day

So what magical formula could the engineers have used to predict that.
Now before you put both feet into your mouth remember that when this rain event happened, they were already releasing water at a controlled rate to avoid flooding in the upper reaches of the Bremmer and Brisbane river.
That was when the whole picture changed because the in flows were well and truly exceeding what was going over the dam wall and as soon as the engineers realised the amount of water going into the dam they had no choice but to open all the flood gates.

The in flows were so great what would have you done. Leave the gates shut and compromise the dam wall.
Forget about the Lockyer Valley deaths. You would have had thousands die if the dam wall was compromised

Come on your the expert here. Tell us what that magical formula was.

Time you looked at facts rather than what an ambulance chasing law firm says.

Unfortunately for the people that were flooded the engineers did what they could
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but there isn't a person on this planet that could have predicted what happened that day

REM not sure. I do recall seeing something like yours

Edited by - bigcol on 21 Aug 2013 10:34:19
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9780 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 21 Aug 2013 :  13:49:29  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by REM

Looking forward to Zac's scoring....

Rudd - 60%
Abbott - 20%
Milne - 20%

That's accurate on the questions asked, but a different ten questions could have thrown up a very different result.

Two relevant questions to ask after the ten on policy come to mind.

1) If implementing those policies meant government debt continued to rise at the current rate, would you still support them?

2) Your answers show strong support for Labor and therefore Kevin Rudd as PM. Does your support for those policies extend to the same support for Kevin Rudd and his ability to implement them?
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22231 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 21 Aug 2013 :  14:51:11  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OK guys, this is talking as a moderator and not politically influenced - The recent tragic floods in Queensland are just that - tragic.

I don't believe that anybody could have predicted the intensity of the rain and the damage it would ultimately cause.

I'm not particularly happy about the "incident" being used as a political football for point scoring.
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14227 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 21 Aug 2013 :  15:06:49  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Legendary Gerry

OK guys, this is talking as a moderator and not politically influenced - The recent tragic floods in Queensland are just that - tragic.

I don't believe that anybody could have predicted the intensity of the rain and the damage it would ultimately cause.

I'm not particularly happy about the "incident" being used as a political football for point scoring.

a valid point LG...it's just that after years of people doing exactly the same thing with asylum seekers...it seems to be who we have become and our political narrative!

Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot

12532 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 21 Aug 2013 :  15:39:59  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
50% Kevin Rudd
30% Christine Milne
10% Bob Katter
10% Tony Abbott

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14227 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 21 Aug 2013 :  15:57:46  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by AlbertM

50% Kevin Rudd
30% Christine Milne
10% Bob Katter
10% Tony Abbott

Well Albe's, after ol Zac (on %60)....you are the sites biggest Wuddster!

Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot

12532 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 21 Aug 2013 :  16:21:23  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bugger, 2nd again!

Abbott got one hit because I couldn't care less about native title.

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9780 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 21 Aug 2013 :  18:15:37  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Abbott's record on native title, and indigenous issues in general is pretty good. Probably better than the other putative PMs.
Hey, I said something positive about Abbott.

REM, that's a cross I'll have to bear. It's a pity that there wasn't a question or two in that Guardian thing like the ones I suggested. Wuddy would waver in a wearward diwection if there was.
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14227 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 21 Aug 2013 :  18:49:38  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

Abbott's record on native title, and indigenous issues in general is pretty good. Probably better than the other putative PMs.
Hey, I said something positive about Abbott.

REM, that's a cross I'll have to bear. It's a pity that there wasn't a question or two in that Guardian thing like the ones I suggested. Wuddy would waver in a wearward diwection if there was.

And if funding your policy was factored as well...so would that wascally-wabbott!

Zac...hearing well sourced stories that the big end of town is becoming 'very worried' about a certain magic pudding funding approach to the election....what I am hearing is that they feel he is either lying his teeth off...or completely clueless.....opinion seems to be swaying to the latter....watch this space! Meanwhile...on the other hand....don't be surprised if the very forces that tore Rudd down in 2010...end up rallying behind him in 2013!!!

Edited by - REM on 21 Aug 2013 19:33:46
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 11.84 seconds.