V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  11:42:26  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by hml2777

quote:
Originally posted by bundy5

Well at least labor insiders and officials had the wits about them to go off the record in that regard but that isn't to say, if results don't go their way on election night, that they will show that sort of restraint then.
do you know how easy it is to write 'labor insiders said", who is going to check them, who is going to challenge them, it would be piss easy to do that and get no challenges.

people believe to much of the **** written and spoken in the media, and it is hard to sort the **** from the clay

But then again you are playing with a journalist's integrity, aren't you? You saying that they are just making it all up - well I guess we will have to wait till election night to see whether these unnamed sources are telling the truth. Knowing the sort of person Rudd is, my bet is that they are.

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.

Edited by - bundy5 on 29 Aug 2013 11:43:25
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11159 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  12:20:57  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sportsbet are paying out early as Tony Abbott is the favourite to win the election, but what do they do, if they were wrong with their prediction?
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  12:34:39  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CP

Sportsbet are paying out early as Tony Abbott is the favourite to win the election, but what do they do, if they were wrong with their prediction?

Absorb the loss. They assume the risk as it was their fault that they went early. But in saying that I don't think they have much to worry about.

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.
Go to Top of Page

hml2777
Pit Crew

Cuba
193 Posts
joined 09 Mar 05

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  13:00:22  Show Profile Send hml2777 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

But then again you are playing with a journalist's integrity, aren't you? You saying that they are just making it all up - well I guess we will have to wait till election night to see whether these unnamed sources are telling the truth. Knowing the sort of person Rudd is, my bet is that they are.

of course they make **** up all the time, they have been caught out heaps of times for it, remember the Channel 9 cameraman, jesus it doesn't get much worse than that FFS.

They will say what they need to say to sell

Edited by - hml2777 on 29 Aug 2013 13:00:55
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  14:07:54  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by hml2777

quote:

of course they make **** up all the time, they have been caught out heaps of times for it, remember the Channel 9 cameraman, jesus it doesn't get much worse than that FFS.

They will say what they need to say to sell

Not saying that any of those quotes they put in the article aren't true, but to argue that the papers, especially the News papers, will 'say anything to sell' well the majority of their readers want to read this kind of news because they are liberal voters. If they start writing more in the alternative, it's going to start to reduce their readership, so hence less money from advertisers etc.

And this remember is a cheap attack anyway on News from the likes of Hawke considering they were backing Rudd to win in 07 when the majority of the public for about 9 months or so were also backing Rudd in the polls. Short memories I suppose...

Edited by - bundy5 on 29 Aug 2013 14:08:58
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  15:18:51  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It doesn't matter what the media reports and says between now and Saturday next week. People have stopped listening. Chris Bowen says he's found another hole in the Coalition's figures. Only $10 billion this time. Kevin said last night that our foreign investment laws need tightening up. Last week when he was on about a massive investment of foreign capital in Australia's North that "the balance of foreign investment laws is pretty right." Ho hum. After all the chopping and changing and the announcements of various plans that never materialised over the past six years, people have made up their minds. The three 'debates' went by with hardly a murmur. The major networks didn't even show them on their main channels and the ratings were just a few points above non-existent. Some say Kevin won this one, Tony won that one. Whatever. Nothing changed. Tony Abbott is the least likely Prime Minister in my lifetime - but Prime Minister he will be in just over a week. He's made himself a small target, hasn't made any major goofs, but hasn't done much to show that he's PM material either. Abbott and the Coalition will tighten things up and won't do anything spectacular or even mildly interesting in the next three years. Very uninspiring after the buzz around 'Kevin 07' back when. There's no good reasons I can see to vote Liberal or National, but the present lot have lost the confidence of the electorate for too many reasons to list. Yes, Sportsbet has already paid out to punters who bet on a Coalition win. It's just those who placed bets on the Coalition winnning by 10, 20, 30 or however many seats waiting to see if they collect now.

I'm voting Labor, if only because I live in one of the safest Liberal electorates in the country, and I will not vote for the sitting Liberal member. He'll still get in - unless he suffers a 25% swing against him. It's often said that there's no such thing as an unwinnable election, but for the Ruddster, it's certainly looking that way. Maybe he and his imported election campaign managers can rummage around in the dirt file and find something really, really sensationally awful about a few Libs, or better still, Tony - but Kevin, your time, short as it was, is nearly up.
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  15:27:09  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

It doesn't matter what the media reports and says between now and Saturday next week. People have stopped listening. Chris Bowen says he's found another hole in the Coalition's figures. Only $10 billion this time. Kevin said last night that our foreign investment laws need tightening up. Last week when he was on about a massive investment of foreign capital in Australia's North that "the balance of foreign investment laws is pretty right." Ho hum. After all the chopping and changing and the announcements of various plans that never materialised over the past six years, people have made up their minds. The three 'debates' went by with hardly a murmur. The major networks didn't even show them on their main channels and the ratings were just a few points above non-existent. Some say Kevin won this one, Tony won that one. Whatever. Nothing changed. Tony Abbott is the least likely Prime Minister in my lifetime - but Prime Minister he will be in just over a week. He's made himself a small target, hasn't made any major goofs, but hasn't done much to show that he's PM material either. Abbott and the Coalition will tighten things up and won't do anything spectacular or even mildly interesting in the next three years. Very uninspiring after the buzz around 'Kevin 07' back when. There's no good reasons I can see to vote Liberal or National, but the present lot have lost the confidence of the electorate for too many reasons to list. Yes, Sportsbet has already paid out to punters who bet on a Coalition win. It's just those who placed bets on the Coalition winnning by 10, 20, 30 or however many seats waiting to see if they collect now.

I'm voting Labor , if only because I live in one of the safest Liberal electorates in the country, and I will not vote for the sitting Liberal member. He'll still get in - unless he suffers a 25% swing against him. It's often said that there's no such thing as an unwinnable election, but for the Ruddster, it's certainly looking that way. Maybe he and his imported election campaign managers can rummage around in the dirt file and find something really, really sensationally awful about a few Libs, or better still, Tony - but Kevin, your time, short as it was, is nearly up.

That should make REM happy

Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  15:40:03  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Zac, as much it hurts I agree with much of what you say and I will also be voting Labor for the same reasons as you, but I have always voted Labor

I reserve the right to arm bears

Edited by - Trev on 29 Aug 2013 15:43:40
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  15:46:09  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bundy, I suppose it goes with the 60% score I gave Kevin and Labor in the 'Vote Compass' interactive online test a week or so back.

FWIW, the Labor Party is closer to my own political beliefs than the Libs. Not that I'm really a Liberal or Labor person - or supporter of any other party. I believe in small government and financial conservatism (just like Kevin and Wayne kept telling us they did), but in most social issues, I'm probably to the left of Labor. It's just that this current 'government' has been almost incapable of living up to the ideals of Labor. Too little talent, too many egos, too many stuff-ups, too many ill-thought-through ideas. Australia says: "Time's up".

EDIT to add: Trev, I always vote how I feel about the candidates at the time. It's funny (well, not really - but coincidental maybe), but I think how I vote is usually how the country votes. I voted for change and Whitlam in '72, I voted for change and Fraser in '75, I voted for change and Hawke in '83, I voted for change and Howard in '96, etc. I just can't bring myself to vote for Alex Hawke in Mitchell this time (or last time either).

Edited by - Zac on 29 Aug 2013 16:00:27
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  16:24:34  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

Bundy, I suppose it goes with the 60% score I gave Kevin and Labor in the 'Vote Compass' interactive online test a week or so back.

FWIW, the Labor Party is closer to my own political beliefs than the Libs. Not that I'm really a Liberal or Labor person - or supporter of any other party. I believe in small government and financial conservatism (just like Kevin and Wayne kept telling us they did), but in most social issues, I'm probably to the left of Labor. It's just that this current 'government' has been almost incapable of living up to the ideals of Labor. Too little talent, too many egos, too many stuff-ups, too many ill-thought-through ideas. Australia says: "Time's up".

With the direction that Abbott seems to be taking us on social policy (PPL, matching Labor funding on education, health reforms, preserving carbon tax compensation for families etc), I don't think Abbott will be anything like the conservative that Howard was despite some lefties saying he is, politically speaking, a child of his (and Bishop ). He could be the closest thing to being a true 'liberal' in the sense of, I suppose, a Malcolm Fraser post being PM which is how far I dare to go back on the liberals' side.

quote:
Originally posted by Trev

Zac, as much it hurts I agree with much of what you say and I will also be voting Labor for the same reasons as you, but I have always voted Labor

And to think with all your disgust over how the Labor party treated Julia I thought you were going to vote the greens.

Edited by - bundy5 on 29 Aug 2013 16:27:01
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  18:24:40  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Interestingly there is nothing in our Constitution about 'Parties'

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  18:41:41  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trev

Interestingly there is nothing in our Constitution about 'Parties'

Predicated on an individual freedom to assemble?

Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  18:42:56  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Zac

I'm voting Labor , if only because I live in one of the safest Liberal electorates in the country, and I will not vote for the sitting Liberal member. He'll still get in - unless he suffers a 25% swing against him. It's often said that there's no such thing as an unwinnable election, but for the Ruddster, it's certainly looking that way. Maybe he and his imported election campaign managers can rummage around in the dirt file and find something really, really sensationally awful about a few Libs, or better still, Tony - but Kevin, your time, short as it was, is nearly up.

That should make REM happy

You do like to make assumptions....I won't be voting Labor.....and haven't since 1996!

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  19:13:15  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Even I knew that. I just checked the candidates in Warringah, and you've got Palmer United, Rise Up Australia and the Stable Population Party to choose from.

I was just watching Clarke and Dawe with John Clarke being Tony Abbott. Dawe says "You're getting rid of the carbon tax?" Reply: "Yep. That won't take long. It's not there." The news followed, and the ABC's headline news was about an NRL player found using peptides. I don't remember what came next, but a bit about Tony and Kevin's squabble about that $10 billion came third - along with a piece about Tony watching a netball game. That's how the ABC rates interest in this election.
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  19:26:35  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

Even I knew that. I just checked the candidates in Warringah, and you've got Palmer United, Rise Up Australia and the Stable Population Party to choose from.

Yeah....sad days....mind you.....you'd probably go all of them before voting for Abbott! I long for the days of Godfrey Bigot....closest we have now days to Godfrey...is Mr Abbott!

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.31 seconds.