V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  18:21:20  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Originally posted by Trev
quote:
I mean, why do they NEED to be paid to stay at home to have children, millions of Australians did it without any Government assistance. How did they manage it, by being frugal, living within their means

My kids are doing it, why can't others, why, because they are greedy, they want their cake and eat it, they want the tax payers to pay for their spend-thrift ways, because they have to have a new everything NOW!!!!!!

Governments need to be frugal, so do individuals

The problem Trev is that you're not seeing the big picture.

You are just treating this as another welfare payment, hand-out if you will. You need to be looking at it as something that will stimulate the economy over time. That is, the skills that women are able to acquire and continue to use, through the holding of their employment while they have a child, is of enormous benefit to the economy in the long run.

It's all about incentive Trev - there is no incentive under the current Labor scheme for women to study and/or work nor is there incentive for women to try to work their way up the corporate ladder.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Legendary Gerry

The ALP sold out on their core values years ago! The political arm of it is just about jobs for mates.

As a representative of the Labor Party, we are going to make every attempt to move on from those times, we have realised the error of our ways

And what was the appointment of Bracks to that foreign post in the dying days of the Rudd government about?

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.

Edited by - bundy5 on 10 Sep 2013 18:24:06
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  18:24:24  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Governments need to be frugal, so do individuals
Not necessarily frugal - but prudent. Stay within your means. Don't waste and don't overspend. Excellent advice, Trev.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  19:25:22  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bundy5

The problem Trev is that you're not seeing the big picture.

You are just treating this as another welfare payment, hand-out if you will. You need to be looking at it as something that will stimulate the economy over time. That is, the skills that women are able to acquire and continue to use, through the holding of their employment while they have a child, is of enormous benefit to the economy in the long run.
and you are not seeing the big picture, there are laws there to protect their jobs while they are maternity leave, employees must by law hold those jobs open for 12 months - FACT!!!

Secondly, by people taking 12 months off they are creating an opportunity for employment for someone to fill the position while the person is on maternity leave, so what you are saying is that the Liberal Party plans to harm these people seeking some employment opportunity and the Liberal Party are planning to influence employment figures in a negative way – well that is intersting

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  21:01:48  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Gerry... jobs for the boys.

Forgot about Michael Caltibiano.

That LNP jobs for the boys cost us over a million dollars for zero return

On George Brandis, there's nothing like a bit of pressure from the new boss to get one of your mates off

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/tony-abbott-staffer-peta-credlin-escapes-drinkdriving-conviction-20130910-2th4k.html

Both Brandis and Credlin should be sacked for that. I don't know of too many people that get off a 0.075 DUI charge an only have to pay $69 in court fees.

FFS they haven't even been sworn in yet and they're looking after their mates

ONLY LITTLE BOYZ WEAR BOWTIES

Edited by - bigcol on 10 Sep 2013 21:03:22
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  21:14:27  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bigcol

On George Brandis, there's nothing like a bit of pressure from the new boss to get one of your mates off

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/tony-abbott-staffer-peta-credlin-escapes-drinkdriving-conviction-20130910-2th4k.html

Both Brandis and Credlin should be sacked for that. I don't know of too many people that get off a 0.075 DUI charge an only have to pay $69 in court fees.

Bligh's husband. Can't get any closer than that for 'jobs for the boys'

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by bundy5

Secondly, by people taking 12 months off they are creating an opportunity for employment for someone to fill the position while the person is on maternity leave, so what you are saying is that the Liberal Party plans to harm these people seeking some employment opportunity and the Liberal Party are planning to influence employment figures in a negative way – well that is intersting

A male perhaps? Does the job so impressively that the woman comes back into her position but is eventually canned for that male? How fair is that?

Plus the burden falls on big business and funds from the existing PPL scheme and not the actual business.

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.

Edited by - bundy5 on 10 Sep 2013 21:21:05
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  21:19:34  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bloombergs!!!!!call this sorry arse Govt for what it is!http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-08/reinvention-time-for-australia-s-abbott.html

If ever an election was lost not won, it was the weekend’s vote in Australia. Exhausted by the Labor Party’s feuding, the country ditched Kevin Rudd’s government and elected the Liberal-National coalition led by Tony Abbott. The new prime minister, once seen as gaffe-prone and unelectable, has said he’ll grow into the role. He’d better, or it won’t be long before Australia regrets its choice.
To call the coalition’s platform weak would be generous. Mostly, it was empty -- and its few specific ideas were notable for being bad ones.
Abbott has promised to scrap Australia’s carbon-pricing program, rejecting the best approach to dealing with climate change. He’s also said he’ll scrap the mining tax, without saying what will replace it. And he’s promised six months’ paid maternity leave at taxpayers’ expense -- while calling himself a fiscal conservative.
In truth, Abbott campaigned as the worst sort of populist conservative, bolstering his stance with a pledge to get tough on asylum seekers. His coalition is offering no alternative to carbon pricing, but merely denounces it as an unpopular measure. The maternity-leave proposal is even more nakedly political. Julia Gillard, who ousted Rudd as prime minister in 2010 only to be replaced by Rudd in another Labor Party leadership contest in June, relentlessly attacked Abbott for his misogyny. To deflect this charge, Abbott committed himself to the costly new entitlement.
During the campaign, neither party had much to say about the real challenges facing the country -- namely, adapting more intelligently to Australia’s economic dependence on China and boosting the country’s productivity growth.
China’s long surge has been the key to Australia’s 22 uninterrupted years of economic growth. Booming exports of natural resources, especially coal, fueled the expanding economy, keeping employment high and throwing off tax revenue that let successive governments raise spending without borrowing. Thanks to China, Australia came through the global crash unscathed.
With China’s growth fading, Australia has to adjust -- and an uncharacteristically anxious country knows it. The fruits of the resources boom would have been better invested in a national fund to provide income in later years, but that wasn’t done. With the tax base under threat, other taxes and cuts in public spending will have to bear the burden. At the same time, employment and investment have to shift from mining into new high-productivity export businesses. Far from advancing such a program, Abbott’s proposals on carbon pricing and entitlements set things back.
Abbott is an easy man to underestimate: Rudd and Labor certainly made that mistake. The new prime minister is smart, and a serial self-reinventor: Rhodes scholar, priest-in-training, industrial manager, journalist, politician. In the past he’s been clumsy and belligerent. However irresponsible, though, his campaign was disciplined and effective, and his critics aren’t laughing now.
To be a good prime minister, Abbott will need to reinvent himself again -- drop the cheap populism, become the fiscal conservative he says he is, and lift his attention from short-term tactics to Australia’s real challenges.

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Edited by - REM on 10 Sep 2013 21:21:17
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  21:28:42  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So anyone else think Rudd should resign from Parliament?

If he hangs around in the Labor caucus for the next three years, won't he be a distraction to Labor in trying to get its message out?

The sort of distraction that prevented Gillard from communicating her policies effectively to the public.

For the liberals' sake, I hope he stays around and given how unforgiving he is I don't think he wants to go anywhere especially if it means handing his seat to Glasson who gave him such a hard time in holding his seat.

Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  21:43:11  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bundy Yeah so what, i'll see your Greg Withers and raise you not one but two of Ros Bates children

Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  21:45:31  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Bundy Yeah so what, i'll see your Greg Withers and raise you not one but two of Ros Bates children

So the equivalent of two children is equal to a director general position?

Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  22:21:36  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ben Gommers was on a 104 thousand per year with next to zero experience,

Withers was a DG on 220 thousand per year.

Spin it how you like. Politicians are a self serving bunch of arseholes.
Newman as Lord mayor had some land zoning changed and his wifes company bought the land 2 days later

Jobs for the boys isn't just for Labor. They all do it

Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  22:38:22  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Jobs for the boys isn't just for Labor. They all do it

That's one point we can agree on.

Anyway, an incoming government is hardly going to want to rely on top bureaucrats appointed by the previous government as a matter of being able to trust them to carry out the instructions of the new ministers.

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  22:59:54  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by REM

Bloombergs!!!!!call this sorry arse Govt for what it is!http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-08/reinvention-time-for-australia-s-abbott.html

If ever an election was lost not won, it was the weekend’s vote in Australia. Exhausted by the Labor Party’s feuding, the country ditched Kevin Rudd’s government and elected the Liberal-National coalition led by Tony Abbott. The new prime minister, once seen as gaffe-prone and unelectable, has said he’ll grow into the role. He’d better, or it won’t be long before Australia regrets its choice.
To call the coalition’s platform weak would be generous. Mostly, it was empty -- and its few specific ideas were notable for being bad ones.
Abbott has promised to scrap Australia’s carbon-pricing program, rejecting the best approach to dealing with climate change. He’s also said he’ll scrap the mining tax, without saying what will replace it. And he’s promised six months’ paid maternity leave at taxpayers’ expense -- while calling himself a fiscal conservative.
In truth, Abbott campaigned as the worst sort of populist conservative, bolstering his stance with a pledge to get tough on asylum seekers. His coalition is offering no alternative to carbon pricing, but merely denounces it as an unpopular measure. The maternity-leave proposal is even more nakedly political. Julia Gillard, who ousted Rudd as prime minister in 2010 only to be replaced by Rudd in another Labor Party leadership contest in June, relentlessly attacked Abbott for his misogyny. To deflect this charge, Abbott committed himself to the costly new entitlement.
During the campaign, neither party had much to say about the real challenges facing the country -- namely, adapting more intelligently to Australia’s economic dependence on China and boosting the country’s productivity growth.
China’s long surge has been the key to Australia’s 22 uninterrupted years of economic growth. Booming exports of natural resources, especially coal, fueled the expanding economy, keeping employment high and throwing off tax revenue that let successive governments raise spending without borrowing. Thanks to China, Australia came through the global crash unscathed.
With China’s growth fading, Australia has to adjust -- and an uncharacteristically anxious country knows it. The fruits of the resources boom would have been better invested in a national fund to provide income in later years, but that wasn’t done. With the tax base under threat, other taxes and cuts in public spending will have to bear the burden. At the same time, employment and investment have to shift from mining into new high-productivity export businesses. Far from advancing such a program, Abbott’s proposals on carbon pricing and entitlements set things back.
Abbott is an easy man to underestimate: Rudd and Labor certainly made that mistake. The new prime minister is smart, and a serial self-reinventor: Rhodes scholar, priest-in-training, industrial manager, journalist, politician. In the past he’s been clumsy and belligerent. However irresponsible, though, his campaign was disciplined and effective, and his critics aren’t laughing now.
To be a good prime minister, Abbott will need to reinvent himself again -- drop the cheap populism, become the fiscal conservative he says he is, and lift his attention from short-term tactics to Australia’s real challenges.

Jeez, that other mob must have been AWFUL!

PS: Please, not another PM who says he's a fiscal conservative!

Edited by - Zac on 10 Sep 2013 23:03:10
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  05:50:48  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bundy5

A male perhaps? Does the job so impressively that the woman comes back into her position but is eventually canned for that male? How fair is that?

Plus the burden falls on big business and funds from the existing PPL scheme and not the actual business.

I think you have lost the plot and arguing for the sake of arguing - FFS

I am about to do my block with you, you know that people say that you are a ****er but I was prepared to give you a go, but all you are doing but pointless arguing is proving them right, you are a ****er

So that being said, with regard to your argument what is the difference with PPL and my point? Nothing!!! The time off work is the time off work, one is the current system and the other is Abbott's PPL (which the majority of his Party don't support), this bull**** about their job being there or not being there is just pointless arguing and you ****ing know it - now **** off, I will not be responding to you posts anymore.

I wish this was one of those forums where you can block the posts of members

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  07:00:54  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

quote:
Originally posted by REM

Jeez, that other mob must have been AWFUL!

PS: Please, not another PM who says he's a fiscal conservative!

He's scrapping the carbon tax Z....so he must be! But let's just pretend.....and don't mention keeping the compo..........or the HUGE welfare payments to wealthy middle class mums!

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22226 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  08:35:22  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

I know and will certainly acknowledge that they all seem to do it regardless Col! I don't think I'm that one-eyed
I was just responding to Trev.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 18.22 seconds.