V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 28 Nov 2013 :  08:09:37  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You know Zac, I can't disagree with those comments from the SMH, the internal stuff with Labour was devastating for a long time supporter like me

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9779 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 28 Nov 2013 :  08:22:11  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Watching the Keating - Kerry O'Brien interviews over the past few weeks makes me realise (well, I already knew and realised, but they emphasise the point) how lacking in ideas, vision, drive, wit, etc. our governments have become in recent years. Whether you support Labor or the Coalition, or you're somewhere to the Left or Right of either - or somewhere in between, there's something wrong with anyone who can heartily support any of the parties currently in our parliament.
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22229 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 28 Nov 2013 :  09:17:27  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I was looking at all the SMH quotes but couldn't see anything about Murdoch press.
I thought I must have been elsewhere.
Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 28 Nov 2013 :  11:29:45  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Legendary Gerry

I was looking at all the SMH quotes but couldn't see anything about Murdoch press.

Ah yes, on the day the government announced the destruction of Gonski and the defunding of the peak drug treatment body, Murdoch's News.com reported much more important news on the front page...

http://mobile.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/graduate-from-the-class-of-2013-reveals-what-schoolies-week-is-really-like/story-fngqim8m-1226770345253

Confessions from schoolies!

http://mobile.news.com.au/lifestyle/relationships/crazy-catfight-between-bride-and-grooms-pregnant-mistress-at-wedding-reception/story-fnet09p2-1226770266028

Bride cat fight!

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11160 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 28 Nov 2013 :  12:22:54  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by 27GV

quote:
Originally posted by Legendary Gerry

Ah yes, on the day the government announced the destruction of Gonski and the defunding of the peak drug treatment body, Murdoch's News.com reported much more important news on the front page...

http://mobile.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/graduate-from-the-class-of-2013-reveals-what-schoolies-week-is-really-like/story-fngqim8m-1226770345253

Confessions from schoolies!

http://mobile.news.com.au/lifestyle/relationships/crazy-catfight-between-bride-and-grooms-pregnant-mistress-at-wedding-reception/story-fnet09p2-1226770266028

Bride cat fight!

Come on GV, these are hard hitting news stories that need to be read by the masses.
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9779 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 28 Nov 2013 :  14:09:36  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's funny, you know. I just checked out the Murdoch website that I check out occasionally, and today I saw these headlines:

Diplomat hauled into Beijing ministry

Factional move to test Shorten

Navy stays out of Jakarta's zone

SBY 'disappointed with Abbott letter

Mining tax delay to hurt savings

Asylum seekers at risk from spying fallout

Labor cost-cutting weakened ADF

Coalition down in latest Newspoll

States to pool school funds

Bishop stands ground in diplomatic row

...etc., etc.

It depends what interests you - and what you want to find.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs
Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot

12532 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 28 Nov 2013 :  18:14:32  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

This government hasn't shown itself to be particularly good at anything so far, but we have to remember what was there before. Here is a quote from the SMH (the paper we like to quote on here) that sums it up for me: "The first post-election Herald/Nielsen poll is a reality check for Coalition MPs who think the election was an emphatic vote for their people and policies. It wasn't. It was a referendum on a rabble that couldn't muster the collective wit, will and discipline to govern itself, and as a result, was ruled ineligible to govern the country."

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/tony-abbott-badly-shaken-but-labor-cant-be-complacent-20131124-2y42u.html

Yep all that rabble alright, I totally agree.

Except labor kept it confined to the party room. In the real world it saw a hung parliamant go full term and passed more ledgislation than any government before it. Leaving the country is pretty good shape given the current mob is taking it's time to make changes, especially after all the "sky is falling" spiels pre-election.

3 months in with the self proclaimed "adults" have picked fights with two countries, failed or gone back on most, if not all preelection promises and still maintain the lowest standards in parliament.

Like I said months before the election it's perception and popularity, not policy and actual results.

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9779 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 28 Nov 2013 :  18:44:27  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
In the real world, the previous government went from one debacle to another, the majority of its legislation went through as a matter of course - as most legislation does, and whether increasing debt by a few hundred billion dollars at a time when it had its best chance to start repaying it left the country in better shape is a matter of perception. Even this current "picked fight" you refer to is sorting out a little mess caused by that government. Your perception saw a wonderful government, but the majority of voters saw it differently.
Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot

12532 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 29 Nov 2013 :  19:53:14  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
And in 3 months they realised they have been suckered and have changed their minds.

quote:
In the real world, the previous government went from one debacle to another,

Not denying that at all. But it was all piss and wind, none of it compromised the running of an effective government.

Despite winning the majority vote from the public, Abbotts bunch can't even remove the carbon price.

quote:
Your perception saw a wonderful government
It did?

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9779 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 29 Nov 2013 :  20:27:47  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry, Albie old sock. I don't mean to put words in your mouth. Let's just say you always had a very uncritical, enthusiastically supportive attitude to the recently departed government. I detect a change of heart. You can tell us of all the things that you think were less-than-wonderful about Kevin 07, Julia, and the rest of the team if you like, and show us that you didn't think they were wonderful, and prove me wrong if you want.

Edited by - Zac on 29 Nov 2013 20:29:45
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14226 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 30 Nov 2013 :  09:05:06  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh Zaccy....that was sooooooo then....this is now!

Lets talk about Abbott, Pyne and the lowest approval rate of any new Govt in the past 40 years......to quote another mean spirited, miserable little human-being..."We've all moved on from that!"

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/abbotts-in-now-what-20131129-2yh1g.html

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9779 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 30 Nov 2013 :  11:26:37  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah, way back when, in... 2013

"Lowest approval rate in the past 40 years". I didn't know that, but it doesn't surprise me. None of the pollsters have asked me, but I could quote myself if they did:

"I see nothing in our new government to get even slightly enthusiastic about, and a lot of people who voted Liberal (I didn't) must feel the same." Zac 09/09/'13
"Abbott and the Coalition haven't done anything yet to show that they're a better alternative than what we had" Zac 09/10/'13
"Mr Abbott, cut the bickering, tighten and clearly define the rules, and concentrate on running the place." Zac 06/11/'13
"A $3 billion hole and accused of hypocrisy. Not a good start for a new government." Zac 07/11/'13
"Tony's wheels might be wobbling, but none have fallen off yet." Zac 08/11/'13
"You haven't seen me singing the praises of Tony anywhere - and you're unlikely to any time soon." Zac 26/11/'13
"This government hasn't shown itself to be particularly good at anything so far." Zac 28/11/'13
"Watching the Keating/O'Brien interviews over the past few weeks makes me realise how lacking in ideas, vision, drive, wit etc. our governments have become in recent years." Zac 28/11/'13

Edited by - Zac on 30 Nov 2013 11:27:39
Go to Top of Page

bigem
A polar bear

Australia
15994 Posts
joined 22 Jun 04

Posted - 30 Nov 2013 :  11:30:53  Show Profile Send bigem a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Joe Hockey good, Christopher Pyne bad!

Thats the headlines this week I reckon.

Abbott will strip more and more out of the Education, Health system and public purse than any of you can have ever imagined.

Welcome to the dumbest, sickest and cruelist country in the world folks!!

I still cannot believe that anybody really thinks Abbotts lot will be better than the last lot!

All Tony is doing is rehashing all little Johnies failed policies, the ones that got him thrown out!

Abbott will be a one term PM!

So much promise, so little substance!

New Commodore Hey! So you used your own money? Would you like to buy a used bridge?
Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot

12532 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 30 Nov 2013 :  12:39:13  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

Sorry, Albie old sock. I don't mean to put words in your mouth. Let's just say you always had a very uncritical, enthusiastically supportive attitude to the recently departed government. I detect a change of heart. You can tell us of all the things that you think were less-than-wonderful about Kevin 07, Julia, and the rest of the team if you like, and show us that you didn't think they were wonderful, and prove me wrong if you want.

For someone that that likes to be framed as a fence sitter you sure do like to go from one extreme to another.

But hey, you believe want you want to believe. That way you can look tough on an internet forum.

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9779 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 30 Nov 2013 :  14:09:26  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There's not that much room here on the fence, but if you really want to join us, feel free.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.45 seconds.