V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 590

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9921 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 17 Dec 2013 :  08:47:32  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bigcol

Here comes some more lies from the people that were elected with them

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/joe-hockey-its-your-economy-now-20131216-2zgwu.html
Except that those lies were written by a politician who wasn't elected. Well, he was elected while his party was booted out.

Edited by - Zac on 17 Dec 2013 08:49:37
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5846 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 17 Dec 2013 :  12:39:09  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don't read any lies Zac, which bits are lies?

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9921 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 17 Dec 2013 :  19:01:37  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The "lies" were a reference to Col's post about "Here come some more lies from the people that were elected with them". Col then posted the link to Andrew Leigh's 'comments'. 'Comments' being those opinions and comments that you don't like in papers, because you said newspapers should report news, not comments. Depends on the comments, maybe. Anyway, now you mention it, I think his whole 'comment' was based on a lie because he said Hockey couldn't blame Labor for the latest deficit figures and the deficit is now Hockey's problem. He said that Hockey can't blame Labor for the deficit, because the current government has added to the debt. That was before Hockey revealed the MYEFO figures. As it turns out, Hockey told it like it is. If I was one of those 'commentators' who offer their opinions in newspapers, I'd say that Hockey was getting us ready for more bad news.

It was what I'd call a "weaselling out" of any blame. That's fair enough. They all do it, but this was from the Shadow Assistant Treasurer, from the government that arrived in office with a $60 billion surplus and left office six years later with (depending what figures you believe) a deficit of somewhere between $257 billion and $280 billion. Call it $270 billion 'ballpark' - a blowout in government finances of $330 billion in six years. Deficits every year, most of them record deficits (despite those forecasts of surpluses - speaking of lies). Now he wants to shift it all onto Joe Hockey who has added maybe $8-10 billion to it.

Andrew Leigh's article was a lie based on an incorrect assumption - with facts thrown in to make it sound authentic.

Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17833 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 17 Dec 2013 :  19:12:12  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bRaDzAsS

Anyone who isn't a swinging voter is basically a dumb arse. These people are running our country and should be judged by their policies and actions, not by the party they represent that you have some stupid loyalty to. Some unbelievably stupid people posting in here that would blindly walk over a cliff if it was a policy their beloved party implemented, they could tax all our salaries to pay for hookers in Parliament House and some of you would back them to end of he earth and die by the sword.

FINALLY SOME COMMON SENCE !!!!!!!!! holy **** never thought Id read that in this thread

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot

12723 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 17 Dec 2013 :  20:36:24  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/17/yes-joe-hockey-we-understand

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9921 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 17 Dec 2013 :  20:46:46  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Here's Albie. One of those people bRaDzAsS was just talking about.
Go to Top of Page

Madaz
Team Manager

Australia
5056 Posts
joined 21 Mar 07

Posted - 17 Dec 2013 :  21:26:04  Show Profile Send Madaz a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne

quote:
Originally posted by bRaDzAsS

Anyone who isn't a swinging voter is basically a dumb arse. These people are running our country and should be judged by their policies and actions, not by the party they represent that you have some stupid loyalty to. Some unbelievably stupid people posting in here that would blindly walk over a cliff if it was a policy their beloved party implemented, they could tax all our salaries to pay for hookers in Parliament House and some of you would back them to end of he earth and die by the sword.

FINALLY SOME COMMON SENCE !!!!!!!!! holy **** never thought Id read that in this thread

What do you mean - I think I've said something similar about 10 times in this topic.

All the major parties are farked - the minor parties are just as bad - all politicians are farked, they are just in it for themselves.

2018 Fantasy League Overall Champion
2017 Fantasy League Tournament Champion

Edited by - Madaz on 17 Dec 2013 21:27:38
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13395 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 17 Dec 2013 :  22:54:14  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Mr Hockey is going to attempt to argue that he has discovered "spiders in the cupboards", and pretend that he is showing the state of the books at the time he became Treasurer.

Unfortunately for Mr Hockey, that particular trick has been made impossible, thanks to the fiscal equivalent of Mortein: the Charter of Budget Honesty.

Created by Peter Costello after the 1996 election, the Charter does something very simple: it requires the secretaries of Treasury and Finance to prepare a Pre-Election Fiscal and Economic Outlook (PEFO). That document sets out the nation's public finances at the time of the election. It ensures, as Mr Costello put it at the time, "that the Australian people know the situation before an election begins and so that elections can be conducted on the basis of the facts and not on the basis of deceit, as governments in the past have sought to do".

The PEFO for the 2013 election showed an economy with solid growth, unemployment that was low by historical standards, and gross debt projected to peak at $370 billion in 2016-17. That is the spider-free economy Joe Hockey took on.

this is the lie I was talking about

ONLY LITTLE BOYZ WEAR BOWTIES
Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 18 Dec 2013 :  02:05:07  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bigcol

quote:
Mr Hockey is going to attempt to argue that he has discovered "spiders in the cupboards", and pretend that he is showing the state of the books at the time he became Treasurer.

Unfortunately for Mr Hockey, that particular trick has been made impossible, thanks to the fiscal equivalent of Mortein: the Charter of Budget Honesty.

Created by Peter Costello after the 1996 election, the Charter does something very simple: it requires the secretaries of Treasury and Finance to prepare a Pre-Election Fiscal and Economic Outlook (PEFO). That document sets out the nation's public finances at the time of the election. It ensures, as Mr Costello put it at the time, "that the Australian people know the situation before an election begins and so that elections can be conducted on the basis of the facts and not on the basis of deceit, as governments in the past have sought to do".

The PEFO for the 2013 election showed an economy with solid growth, unemployment that was low by historical standards, and gross debt projected to peak at $370 billion in 2016-17. That is the spider-free economy Joe Hockey took on.

this is the lie I was talking about

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/hockey-slashes-spending-20131217-2zjcs.html

And now Hockey expects it to peak at $650 billion. Talking about big debts, Abbott"s policies seem to have doubled it in 3 months!

We still going to hear the same old lie the Liberals are the party of fiscal responsibility. More like the party of recession.

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5846 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 18 Dec 2013 :  05:09:30  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

The "lies" were a reference to Col's post about "Here come some more lies from the people that were elected with them". Col then posted the link to Andrew Leigh's 'comments'. 'Comments' being those opinions and comments that you don't like in papers, because you said newspapers should report news, not comments. Depends on the comments, maybe. Anyway, now you mention it, I think his whole 'comment' was based on a lie because he said Hockey couldn't blame Labor for the latest deficit figures and the deficit is now Hockey's problem. He said that Hockey can't blame Labor for the deficit, because the current government has added to the debt. That was before Hockey revealed the MYEFO figures. As it turns out, Hockey told it like it is. If I was one of those 'commentators' who offer their opinions in newspapers, I'd say that Hockey was getting us ready for more bad news.

It was what I'd call a "weaselling out" of any blame. That's fair enough. They all do it, but this was from the Shadow Assistant Treasurer, from the government that arrived in office with a $60 billion surplus and left office six years later with (depending what figures you believe) a deficit of somewhere between $257 billion and $280 billion. Call it $270 billion 'ballpark' - a blowout in government finances of $330 billion in six years. Deficits every year, most of them record deficits (despite those forecasts of surpluses - speaking of lies). Now he wants to shift it all onto Joe Hockey who has added maybe $8-10 billion to it.

Andrew Leigh's article was a lie based on an incorrect assumption - with facts thrown in to make it sound authentic.

How come all you right wingers conveniently forget about the GFC and the fact that that is main reason for the issues with the budget. What would you have a Government do to stave off the GFC - I am interested in hearing

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9921 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 18 Dec 2013 :  07:02:18  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm a fiscal conservative, but not really right wing in other areas. Probably to the left of a lot of Labor supporters in some areas. Call rabbits or that armchair bloke if you want 'right wing'. I'm a critic of what in my opinion is bad government, and I think we had bad government for the past six years, and we have a different bad government now. We could speak about the GFC if you want to, but just like not wanting to hear Hockey keep referring to what Labor did or didn't do - do we really want to go back there? It was five years ago, and we have been over and over it since. Did Labor do a good job in "saving" us from the GFC? Depends who you ask. Some of the stimulus was good, some was awful, and some of the good and more of the awful have got us where we are now. What would I have a government do to stave off the GFC? I would have them do a lot of what the government at the time did - but I would really hope that they would manage it a whole lot better.
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14305 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 18 Dec 2013 :  07:17:02  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Heard this a few times Zac..but have never seen any commentary...what exactly are the issues where you would be to the left of us....?

Sometimes....I wonder if you are actually Paul Sheehan.....according to him, he's objective and sits right in the middle as well!

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9921 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 18 Dec 2013 :  07:36:15  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don't know about being to the Left of you. Actually, I do know. I'm NOT to the Left of you. Not overall, and probably not on any specific issue either. I'm a pragmatist, remember? Also, if Paul Sheehan says he's objective and sits in the middle, then I'm not him. I don't claim to be objective, and (unlike a lot of Labor supporters who think that they're in the middle) I'm not in the middle of anything. I'm here and there, Left, more often Right, and sometimes nowhere in particular on some issues.

We could go on for ages about where we are on various issues. Do you want to name a couple? We can all offer our 2c each on where we are.
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14305 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 18 Dec 2013 :  07:43:28  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ah Zaccy.....plays the straight bat as ever...! Dude....you should be in the game!!!

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9921 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 18 Dec 2013 :  07:46:26  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Shh! ABC News on now, then AM...

I've done my quick daily check of The Drum and Crikey. Haven't looked at The Guardian - yet...

Edited by - Zac on 18 Dec 2013 07:49:24
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 590 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 4.53 seconds.