V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 06 Feb 2014 :  01:11:27  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

A typo apparently. Or maybe a Freudian slip?

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11159 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 06 Feb 2014 :  07:33:39  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Speaking of the carbon tax, has anyone noticed a significant rise in the prices of power and groceries, or has such thing never happened?
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 06 Feb 2014 :  07:44:40  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CP

Speaking of the carbon tax, has anyone noticed a significant rise in the prices of power and groceries, or has such thing never happened?

yes, it is called 'greed' apparently the Americans invented it, power suppliers and our duopoly of supermarkets are maximising its benefits. It has **** all to do with the carbon tax, this has been proven.

I reserve the right to arm bears

Edited by - Trev on 06 Feb 2014 07:45:22
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 07 Feb 2014 :  07:23:46  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Investigation reveals that it looks like ABC story on Navy actually has merit and is supported by evidence....oh-oh!

http://www.smh.com.au/world/investigation-burned-hands-on-the-high-seas-20140206-hvbdl.html

I'm sure Tony will apologise....to the ABC...

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 07 Feb 2014 :  08:06:01  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don't see the merit, and I don't see the evidence. I have seen ABC's Media Watch saying that the ABC got it wrong and should apologise, and I have seen the statement from ABC's Managing Director saying that the ABC was only reporting the claims and had no proof, and another statement from the ABC News department saying that it's wording could have been better and more precise.

For mine, the whole story doesn't pass the common sense test. The Australian Navy forced these people to press their hands against hot pipes to be burned as punishment? Nothing to do with whether we have a Coalition or Labor Government and what side of politics we might support - although maybe it's being pushed that way by certain people. It's a little story that has gathered momentum, probably because it was such a strange thing to make the news in the first place.

EDIT to add: FWIW, here are the Defence Minister's thoughts on the matter (as of midday today, as reported on the ABC):

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2013/s3939973.htm

I wouldn't be waiting for any apology from anyone in our Government (or the Defence Forces) anytime soon.

Edited by - Zac on 07 Feb 2014 15:32:30
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 07 Feb 2014 :  20:19:40  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

I don't see the merit, and I don't see the evidence. I have seen ABC's Media Watch saying that the ABC got it wrong and should apologise, and I have seen the statement from ABC's Managing Director saying that the ABC was only reporting the claims and had no proof, and another statement from the ABC News department saying that it's wording could have been better and more precise.

For mine, the whole story doesn't pass the common sense test. The Australian Navy forced these people to press their hands against hot pipes to be burned as punishment? Nothing to do with whether we have a Coalition or Labor Government and what side of politics we might support - although maybe it's being pushed that way by certain people. It's a little story that has gathered momentum, probably because it was such a strange thing to make the news in the first place.

EDIT to add: FWIW, here are the Defence Minister's thoughts on the matter (as of midday today, as reported on the ABC):

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2013/s3939973.htm

I wouldn't be waiting for any apology from anyone in our Government (or the Defence Forces) anytime soon.

I agree Zac...but if we had first hand witnesses and perhaps some precedence of the Navy doing this....oh wait.....!!!

I like how the accusations have been investigated and dismissed by the Australian Govt and the Navy has conducted it's own enquiry....and found no evidence at all...yet the first hand witness claims he has never been spoken to by them!...no evidence Zac???.....ever so-glad you don't work in the law enforcement sector ol boy!!! Did you even read the SMH investigation....?

More: http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/witness-details-burns-claims-20140206-324pw.html

I wonder what the response would be if these were American's or other Euro's making the same claims...? Would they be so easily overlooked....?? Food for thought....

Edited by - REM on 07 Feb 2014 20:44:19
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 08 Feb 2014 :  08:26:27  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by REM

ever so-glad you don't work in the law enforcement sector ol boy!!! Did you even read the SMH investigation....?
(1)Me too. Not my thing at all - and (2)Yes, I did.

I doubt we'll ever know what really happened. We get these various stories from the asylum seekers, and non-answers to any questions about them due to *cough* "operational reasons" from the government.
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 08 Feb 2014 :  13:28:09  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

quote:
Originally posted by REM

ever so-glad you don't work in the law enforcement sector ol boy!!! Did you even read the SMH investigation....?
(1)Me too. Not my thing at all - and (2)Yes, I did.

I doubt we'll ever know what really happened. We get these various stories from the asylum seekers, and non-answers to any questions about them due to *cough* "operational reasons" from the government.

Agreed...and giving any authority unchecked-unaccountable power over a vulnerable minority is a very,very scary place to be....

Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 08 Feb 2014 :  16:48:57  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/working-class-dreams-fade-as-jobs-dry-up-20140207-3278n.html

Good article about how the Liberal party and others have abandoned the Australian worker and manufacturing industry to serve the bankers and other interests.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2014/01/22/tni-gears-sets-sights-foreign-threats.html

And Abbott's diplomacy comes home to roost: Indonesia sees Australia as its biggest threat.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/get-set-for-plenty-of-budget-pain-tony-abbott-tells-australians-20140207-327bs.html

Wonder how long he'll last? All I hear is bad news from Abbott, the moment he got elected the economy has gone from bad to worse. I'll give him til this time next year then he's outta here. If not sooner, I think he'll be as popular as cancer after his budget that will reward Gina and punish everyone else.

_Mford

Edited by - 27GV on 08 Feb 2014 16:51:10
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 10 Feb 2014 :  08:58:46  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So Rudds seat stays in Labor party hands after the by-election in Griffith.
There was a 0.5% swing to the LNP and George Brandis labelled it a victory.
That 0.5% swing against the Labor party would have been not having the current PM in the election and the fact that Glasson is now a very high profile candidate and a 2 time loser.
Once Maggotts and Hockenomics cuts start to chew into areas like Greenslopes, Carina and Cannon Hill, if Glasson runs again he will be a 3 time loser.

I hope George Brandis shows up for the Redcliffe By-election. Newmans cuts to the hospitals, the list of broken promises he made to the people of the Redcliffe Peninsula and the corruption of Scott Driscolls and his family have left the LNP on shaky ground. Last I read of it was they are facing an over 10% swing against them. The Driscoll affair is the one Bundy said was a beat up by the Murdoch press. Funny but he will be lucky if he doesn't end up in jail

This will be a gauge of the feeling on the street about Newmans lack of vision(except if you're a developer), the LNP ideology and hacking the economy to near death.
This government has done nothing and is just treading water till the coal seem gas revenue starts pouring in.

ONLY LITTLE BOYZ WEAR BOWTIES
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 13 Feb 2014 :  07:31:46  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
15 Mill taken from Flnders Neo-natal unit......but Seaeagles NRL get 10 million for a new stadium......nuthin perverse there!

Patently clear how this mob governs really......

Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 13 Feb 2014 :  11:56:16  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Take from the needy with one hand, give to his mates with the other?

Been hearing rumblings about senior Liberals being furious at the cabinet. Leadership spill is coming.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-13/january-employment-figures-bureau-of-statistics/5257326

UNEMPLOYMENT HIGHEST RATE IN 10 YEARS! 6 PERCENT!

Who were the economically responsible ones again? Abbott's recession is coming.

_Mford

Edited by - 27GV on 13 Feb 2014 11:58:36
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 13 Feb 2014 :  12:22:04  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by REM

15 Mill taken from Flnders Neo-natal unit......but Seaeagles NRL get 10 million for a new stadium......nuthin perverse there!

That sounds pretty bad to me - perverse, as you say. In fact, it sounds very unfair and very bad politics no matter how you look at it. I've had a look around to see how and why any government could justify such inequitable funding, but I have been unable to find out that what you say is correct.

What I did find, is that Kevin Rudd made an election promise last year, that if re-elected, the new Labor government would grant $15 million to the Flinders neonatal unit. They weren't re-elected, so Labor's pre-election promise became just that. The Coalition government probably doesn't want to borrow more money funding Labor's election promises.

The Sea Eagles' $10 million was announced by Anthony Albanese, also prior to the last election, not as an election promise, but as guaranteed funding. Being a local boy, you probably know more about it than me, but I can't understand why on earth Albo and Labor would give $10 million to the Manly Sea Eagles. Makes as much sense to me as giving federal funding to the Vaucluse Workers Club (if there was such a place).

So, Labor promised $15 million to Flinders Neonatal if they won the election - but they didn't. Labor granted $10 million to Manly Sea Eagles regardless of the election result. Sounds like a to me, but not quite the one you described.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-19/flinders-funding-announced-for-neonatal-unit/4895624

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news-display/Funding-boost-for-Brookvale-Oval-project/81186

Edited by - Zac on 13 Feb 2014 12:32:09
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 13 Feb 2014 :  16:07:42  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Mmmm.....bastard ALP right wingers......just as well for us Green voters huh!

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 13 Feb 2014 :  16:20:54  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I really enjoy sparring with you, but that was a bit of a cop-out.

Sounds like the Sea Eagles can thank ALP senior statesman Kerry Sibraa for the $10 mill.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.31 seconds.