V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9776 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 26 Mar 2014 :  23:40:07  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
REM, it's not the biggest issue facing Australians, but since you're asking...

I'm a republican, and have been since the '70s. I'm against having the Queen's representative being our head of state and everything else that goes with it, including having the ancient imperial honours, even in watered-down form. I remember the last time that came up on here I found myself offside with others who I would never have guessed were avowed monarchists. Would you believe we have our own David Flint here in trickyonne?

It doesn't appear that the regurgitated imperial honours idea is Liberal policy, but more some thought bubble that popped out of your local member's head. We got rid of Sirs and Dames and Ladies in 1975. Our good friend John (or Malcolm, as some people call him) exhumed them, then pragmatic, consensus Bob buried them again. I thought that was really the end of them, but nope, after they were dead, buried AND cremated, Tony has dug them up again. They're really yucky now, and more on the nose than ever. Still, there's even some avowed republicans who who find them appealing. Dame Quentin, for example. "Dame" - sounds worse than ever. "Dame Pattie" had a certain old- fashioned appeal, as did "Sir Robert", but they sounded pretty silly to me even back then. I recall that some people in a certain state were buying these titles, which made them even more meaningless to me.

I won't be marching or protesting on the issue, but as Groucho Marx sang: I'm against it.

EDIT: I remember when our Governor General (yes, I'm against that one too) was Sir William Slim. Actually, if you wanted to address him correctly in writing, he was...

Field Marshal the Right Honourable 1st Viscount Sir William Slim KG GCB GCMG GCVO GBE DSO MC KStJ Of course, following all the ancient rules of British protocol, everything had to go in a certain order. I actually remember having to learn some of that stuff back then.

Tony would have loved all that, I'm sure.

Edited by - Zac on 27 Mar 2014 01:09:15
Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 27 Mar 2014 :  01:04:36  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/govt-to-sell-off-medibank-private-20140326-35iaz.html

Govt to sell off Medibank Private

quote:
Finance spokesman Tony Burke warned the government would lose the annual dividend - up to $500 million - it receives from the insurer adding to the budget deficit.

The economic illiterates are here! Typical Liberals, sell our assets so we have less and less government earnings.

Yes, let's sell the asset that returns its worth every 10 years. Oh sorry, my financial adviser just hung himself when he heard that.

So Zac, how are we going to blame Labor today?

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13313 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 27 Mar 2014 :  09:14:54  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What a bunch of ****ing losers.

FFS I wish Matias Cormin would speak English. I keep waiting to hear "i'll be back"
News for Matias you won't be.

So now the feds will be signing away 352 million out of the coffers.
Governments have enough problems with revenues without giving away something that is returning around 8% on what they expect to sell it for. Could be anything up to 10% in the total wash up.
Now I'll tell you right now, that won't be enough profit for what will become a privately owned company.
Start looking for new health insurance because this ones about to rise dramatically.

Quentin Bryces last job should have been sacking these adult politicians who are ****ing this joint quicker than Rudd/Gillard/Rudd ever did

ONLY LITTLE BOYZ WEAR BOWTIES
Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 27 Mar 2014 :  17:58:40  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/queensland-premier-gets-70000-pay-rise-20140327-35jyz.html

quote:
Premier Campbell Newman, his ministers and opponents have been awarded pay rises after the Independent Remuneration Tribunal completed its overhaul of their salaries.

Under the new rules, Premier Campbell Newman’s wage will jump 21.8 per cent, from $311,635 to $379,562, almost $70,000 more. But 14 of the state’s Directors-General will still earn more than him.

Queensland Premier gets $70,000 pay rise

ha ha ha, stop the waste? Looks like he's stopped it by directing all the money to himself!

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22221 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 27 Mar 2014 :  18:55:48  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A 21.8% increase is almost criminal for anyone in this day and age.
...and just for 27GV's benefit, the Premier doesn't set the increase so he couldn't direct it to himself.

Opposition Leader Annastacia Palaszczuk will receive an $80,000 pay rise.
I notice that wasn't in bold, large print.

Go to Top of Page

Iggle Piggle
Formula Ford Driver

Australia
360 Posts
joined 16 Dec 11

Posted - 27 Mar 2014 :  19:46:02  Show Profile Send Iggle Piggle a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Legendary Gerry

...the Premier doesn't set the increase so he couldn't direct it to himself.

No, but he could always direct it to a charity or even back in to the government coffers if he wanted - think it may have been Nick X that previously gave his politician salary increase to charity when he did not think they deserved it.

_Maluminium-bonnet
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22221 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 27 Mar 2014 :  20:32:48  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Iggle Piggle

quote:
Originally posted by Legendary Gerry

...the Premier doesn't set the increase so he couldn't direct it to himself.

No, but he could always direct it to a charity or even back in to the government coffers if he wanted - think it may have been Nick X that previously gave his politician salary increase to charity when he did not think they deserved it.

The Opposition pollies (Labor) haven't given any indication that they won't accept it...
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9776 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 27 Mar 2014 :  20:43:09  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by 27GV

So Zac, how are we going to blame Labor today?
If you want my help to find a way to blame Labor today, I have to say I really can't help you. Labor is safely tucked away in Her Majesty's Opposition, and unable to do much at all (apart from doing that negativity thing), so we really can't blame Labor for anything that has happened in recent days. It's been left to the grown-ups to tidy up what they left behind, so we have to shift the blame to the grown-ups for now.

PS (for REM): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHash5takWU

Edited by - Zac on 27 Mar 2014 20:52:03
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 27 Mar 2014 :  21:57:06  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Nice Groucho.....! Grown-ups? more like pretentious "Fuddy-duddies"....

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 28 Mar 2014 :  01:49:27  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac
It's been left to the grown-ups to tidy up what they left behind, so we have to shift the blame to the grown-ups for now.

PS (for REM): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHash5takWU

Ah yes, the grown ups who sell off profitable assets and give themselves pay rises.

I think most people prefer the "children" now.

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/news/2014/3/25/politics/labor-extends-lead-newspoll

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13313 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 28 Mar 2014 :  09:56:24  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ah yes Campbells independent board, made up of a top judge and others that were selected by his government.
It's about as independent as Costellos commission of audit

Meanwhile in the adults section I noticed that Joe Hockenomics has managed to increase our debt by another 58 billion since the election.

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9776 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 28 Mar 2014 :  21:37:57  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bigcol

FFS I wish Matias Cormin would speak English. I keep waiting to hear "i'll be back"

Quentin Bryces last job should have been sacking these adult politicians who are ****ing this joint quicker than Rudd/Gillard/Rudd ever did

What a bunch of ****ing losers this current Opposition is turning out to be.

FFS I wish Pennie Wang would lose that Asian accent. I keep waiting to hear her say: "You like lychee?"

Peter Cosgrove's first job should be sacking this pathetic lot in Opposition who ****ed this joint quicker than the Government could ever hope to fix it.
No. I don't think so. George Brandis might be thinking of Voltaire's "I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it", but it still sounds like bigotry to me.
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13313 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 29 Mar 2014 :  11:21:46  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

quote:
Originally posted by bigcol

What a bunch of ****ing losers this current Opposition is turning out to be.

FFS I wish Pennie Wang would lose that Asian accent. I keep waiting to hear her say: "You like lychee?"

Peter Cosgrove's first job should be sacking this pathetic lot in Opposition who ****ed this joint quicker than the Government could ever hope to fix it.
No. I don't think so. George Brandis might be thinking of Voltaire's "I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it", but it still sounds like bigotry to me.

Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 03 Apr 2014 :  13:04:08  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
http://thekouk.com/blog/it-s-now-61-15-billion-of-gross-borrowing-by-the-abbott-government.html#.UzzAuKgYs0h

It's now $61.15 billion of gross borrowing by the Abbott government

stop the waste... stop the waste... stop the waste... oh sing it...

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 03 Apr 2014 :  16:16:50  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
who are the incompetents now?

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 5 seconds.