V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22229 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 10 Apr 2014 :  18:54:49  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm going to do a 27GV here

If you don't want this closed then cut the personal crap.
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 10 Apr 2014 :  19:03:51  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I was having a laugh at Tony Abbott, but I don't think 27GV noticed. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/01/22/tony-abbott-goodies-baddies_n_4642072.html
Cheer up everyone. It's only politics.
Go to Top of Page

bigem
A polar bear

Australia
15994 Posts
joined 22 Jun 04

Posted - 11 Apr 2014 :  19:15:15  Show Profile Send bigem a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

I was having a laugh at Tony Abbott, but I don't think 27GV noticed. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/01/22/tony-abbott-goodies-baddies_n_4642072.html
Cheer up everyone. It's only politics.

Its only politics until it starts hitting tyhe most vulnerable peoples pockets mate!!

Abbott is as mean spirited as Howard was, and Campbell Newman should be in jail!!

New Commodore Hey! So you used your own money? Would you like to buy a used bridge?
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 11 Apr 2014 :  22:16:42  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
True BigM....the below is doing the rounds and sums it up nicely....

Tony Abbott, an asylum seeker and a DT reader are sitting at a table with 11 cookies between them......suddenly,Abbott reaches across and takes 10 cookies for himself.....as he does this he looks at the DT reader, points at the asylum seeker and warns...."careful.....he's after your cookie"

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Go to Top of Page

Iggle Piggle
Formula Ford Driver

Australia
360 Posts
joined 16 Dec 11

Posted - 12 Apr 2014 :  01:06:40  Show Profile Send Iggle Piggle a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I read Bolt's opinion piece in the Advertiser yesterday where he was explaining why the pension age simply must be raised to 70. So if (when) it gets raised by Liberal or Labor (whoever is in power at the time), at what age will those politicians bringing in the change to the age pension receive their pension?

Will it be like the current serve 8 years and you get half of your current salary for life as soon as you leave parliament (in addition to many other "entitlements"), irrespective of your age or income when you leave, and despite the fact you are probably leaving for a comfortable well-paying job as a diplomat or working for one of the corporations you did favours for in return for lucrative donations to your party?

Am I swallowing mis-information and mis-truths - or am I just swallowing the Mrs's whiskey.

_Maluminium-bonnet
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 13 Apr 2014 :  09:09:25  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No Iggle you hit the nail right on the head.

There isn't a pollie in Australia that will be affected if they raise the pension age to 70 an there won't be a self opinionated ,egotistical lying shock jock that will be affected either because these lowlife ****s are being paid a motsa by even bigger lowlife ****s like Rinehart for there lopsided dribble

I want to see some of the tradies who's bodies are rooted from doing manual jobs like brick laying, landscaping and concreting work till there 70.
I spent 15 years landscaping and you're either doing stuff around your ankles or doing heavy lifting.
I've been running my own land and garden maintenance company for 15 years now and admittedly I don't work as hard or as long as I used to but it still takes it's toll.

If these dead **** politicians actually got the miners to pay their fare share and closed all the loopholes for tax havens we wouldn't need to change any retirement ages and we certainly wouldn't be in the red today.

Just remember one thing all you Liberal lover. This government has its head firmly planted in Rineharts fat arse. She is one of the 85 people that control more wealth than over half the worlds population and the governments that run them.

You tell me that's fair when people with that much coin call the shots to idiots like Tony Abbott.

Politicians need to start remembering who actually gives them the majority of the vote.
I'll give you a hint it isn't some rich miner

ONLY LITTLE BOYZ WEAR BOWTIES

Edited by - bigcol on 13 Apr 2014 09:14:38
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11159 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 13 Apr 2014 :  12:28:41  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The thing is Col, is that there are some oldies who do wish to work until that age.
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 13 Apr 2014 :  12:30:06  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Looks like we are all to take a hit!

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/joe-hockey-confirms-pension-age-could-rise-to-70-20140413-zqu3e.html

Still.....I'm sure that making pensions harder to get will "ensure that we keep the high living standards we all currently enjoy!".....

Honestly....this lot are banking on us being idiots....we are all loving the emperor's new clothes!

CP so what stops them from working till that age now?

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Edited by - REM on 13 Apr 2014 12:57:08
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22229 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 13 Apr 2014 :  13:51:44  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by REM

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/joe-hockey-confirms-pension-age-could-rise-to-70-20140413-zqu3e.html

Still.....I'm sure that making pensions harder to get will "ensure that we keep the high living standards we all currently enjoy!".....

Honestly....this lot are banking on us being idiots....we are all loving the emperor's new clothes!

CP so what stops them from working till that age now?

When you get closer to that age you'll know the answer REM.
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 13 Apr 2014 :  14:30:36  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CP

The thing is Col, is that there are some oldies who do wish to work until that age.

Yeah and their is nothing stopping them if they WANT to

We subsidise the mining industry.

WHY it makes billions for it's owners so why should the tax payer have to subsidise the likes of Rinehart.

There's heap of money that could be saved and then add the amount of revenue that these clowns will giving up once they spend the quick cash they're going to get from the sell offs.

I actually thought that the Rudd/Gillard/Rudd governments was one of the worst in our history.

This one is going to take the mantle with out even trying

Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11159 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 13 Apr 2014 :  14:59:06  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
How long has it been subsidised Col, and why do we need to if the various governments are getting massive royalties?

Edited by - CP on 13 Apr 2014 15:00:21
Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 13 Apr 2014 :  16:54:30  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
http://www.examiner.com.au/story/2215285/abbott-to-break-abc-no-cuts-promise/?cs=12

Abbott's promise: 'no cuts' to the ABC.

Broken!

Abbott's promise: 'no changes' to pensions.

Broken!

butbutbut you see Ju-lair was baaaaad for lying about carbon tax

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 13 Apr 2014 :  17:09:22  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by REM

'Joe Hockey confirms pension age could rise to 70.' That's a non-definitive headline, but it doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know. The pension age has risen, and will continue to rise. The previous government had already raised it from 65 to 67, and was working towards (if it had remained in power) raising it incrementally in the future.

The aged pension was introduced in Australia in 1909, and was paid on retirement (for men) at the age of 65. In 1909 the average male life expectancy was 65, which meant if you did qualify for the aged pension, you didn't receive it for long. The average male life expectancy in Australia is now 83 while the retirement age has remained at 65. It pays a single male $19,916 p.a., so if this average male lived to 83, he received $358,488 in pension payments. I wonder how much income tax this average male paid in his average 48 year working life.

We now have the world-wide phenomenon of baby boomers piling into retirement with a far smaller percentage of the population in the workforce to pay these pensions. That's why retirement ages are rising around the world. Forget what party happens to be in power in Australia. The retirement age is rising regardless. Get used to it.

Yes, politicians will be unaffected, of course. No surprises there. I don't know about the self-opinionated, egotistical, lying shock-jocks, but they seem to want to keep working anyway. John Laws is about to turn 80, Alan Jones is well into his 70s, Ray Hadley turns 60 this year and is a workaholic, and I don't know many young ones.

PS to the alarmist ^ : Broken? Check use of tense.

Edited by - Zac on 14 Apr 2014 16:15:01
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 13 Apr 2014 :  22:39:27  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CP

How long has it been subsidised Col, and why do we need to if the various governments are getting massive royalties?

Too long and the Muppets from the labor party have been part and parcel of it and there is no way Tony Abbottoir is going to change it.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/southern-crossroads/2014/feb/02/fossil-fuel-subsidies-tony-abbott-spc-ardmona-corporate-welfare

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/mining-energy/miners-snare-lions-share-of-government-subsidies/story-e6frg9df-1226131724489

Edited by - bigcol on 13 Apr 2014 22:50:49
Go to Top of Page

Henry
Jaded Old Coot

Australia
3356 Posts
joined 12 Feb 04

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  11:58:31  Show Profile  Visit Henry's Homepage Send Henry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

The aged pension was introduced in Australia in 1909, and was paid on retirement (for men) at the age of 65. In 1909 the average male life expectancy was 65, which meant if you did qualify for the aged pension, you didn't receive it for long. The average male life expectancy in Australia is now 83 while the retirement age has remained at 65. It pays a single male $19,916 p.a., so if this average male lived to 83, he received $358,488 in pension payments. I wonder how much income tax this average male paid in his average 48 year working life.

We now have the world-wide phenomenon of baby boomers piling into retirement with a far smallerer percentage of the population in the workforce to pay these pensions. That's why retirement ages are rising around the world. Forget what party happens to be in power in Australia. The retirement age is rising regardless. Get used to it.

it's a half-dozen years since I attended a construction materials industry conference and heard Bernard Salt outline the same thing, so it's no real surprise, I've been convinced for the last 10 years, that as a Gen X-er, I will likely have to work until I die.

It's not only that people live longer following retirement these days - they also enter the workforce later. Many of my generation - and those that followed us - aren't fully engaged in the workforce until their early 20's. 100 years ago, by that age, you'd been working for 10 years in many cases, and were now supporting your young family.

So, retiring at 65 would have meant 50 years in the workforce back then. While many baby boomers did start in their mid-teens, that so many of them were retiring at 55 (thanks to super) meant 40 years in the workforce. and then nearly 30 years retired. So where one once worked for 77% of their lifetime 100 years ago, many have been fortunate to have spent 50% there now. Those same people, assuming they retire at 67, and live to 85, will still have spent less than 60% of their lives in the workforce.

Much of what I've been reading surrounding changes in policy in recent times seems like we're shooting the messenger - no matter who was in power, there were going to be some fairly big changes required to stop the house of cards from toppling over. I've been a taxpayer for 25 years now, and I'm less disturbed about how my tax dollar's being utilised now than I was 12 months ago.

Dad once said "son, arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. Even if you're a grand master, playing at your best, the pigeon is just going to **** on the board and then walk around like it won".
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 9.86 seconds.