V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11160 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  14:10:21  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by 27GV

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/2215285/abbott-to-break-abc-no-cuts-promise/?cs=12

Abbott's promise: 'no cuts' to the ABC.

Broken!

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/joe-hockey-confirms-pension-age-could-rise-to-70-20140413-zqu3e.html

Abbott's promise: 'no changes' to pensions.

Broken!

butbutbut you see Ju-lair was baaaaad for lying about carbon tax

Every politician breaks promises though.
Go to Top of Page

Henry
Jaded Old Coot

Australia
3356 Posts
joined 12 Feb 04

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  14:19:41  Show Profile  Visit Henry's Homepage Send Henry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
too right, CP... amazing that people feign shock...

Dad once said "son, arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. Even if you're a grand master, playing at your best, the pigeon is just going to **** on the board and then walk around like it won".
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9779 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  16:13:18  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Amazing, but it's even funnier when people feign shock about promises being broken, when the media is just telling us about promises that might be broken. Premature exclamation.
Go to Top of Page

Henry
Jaded Old Coot

Australia
3356 Posts
joined 12 Feb 04

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  16:32:27  Show Profile  Visit Henry's Homepage Send Henry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

Amazing, but it's even funnier when people feign shock about promises being broken, when the media is just telling us about promises that might be broken. Premature exclamation.

Nothing like reporting the 5 o'clock news at 4! We could go on and on...

Dad once said "son, arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. Even if you're a grand master, playing at your best, the pigeon is just going to **** on the board and then walk around like it won".
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  17:15:17  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So Hockey wants us all to work until we are 70, so how is this creating employment, who is going to employ a person between the ages of 65 - 70, or even 45 - 70

How are those builders, brickies, truckies, factory labourers etc, all those who do manual labour going to fair up at 70, what a bunch of ****wits these people are

Wouldn't they be better off encouraging employers to employ, who takes on apprentices these days? How about money for employers to take on apprentices instead of that ****en stupid dole for married middle aged people with babies

How many retire at 55, not too ****en many, most of us didn't have the income to invest in super, Super is recently new thing, I am 57 and have been right royally ****ed over by the last 2 Government on this point. Most baby boomers joined the workforce at 14, 15 &n 16, virtually none have been unemployed, we have paid an enormous amount of tax, what the **** have these Government done with our money, we built this country and just when we get near retirement the ****en arseholes don't want to give us anything, well **** them

I reserve the right to arm bears

Edited by - Trev on 14 Apr 2014 17:24:47
Go to Top of Page

Henry
Jaded Old Coot

Australia
3356 Posts
joined 12 Feb 04

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  17:24:42  Show Profile  Visit Henry's Homepage Send Henry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If you can get the young'uns to take up a manual trade, you'd be doing all right I reckon. If word gets out that an IT degree DOESN'T make the world go round, there'll be hell to pay!

Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22229 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  17:27:32  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
In 10 years time there won't be enough workers to fill all the available jobs so working longer, if possible, may be a necessary evil or a Godsend, depending on your point of view.
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9779 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  17:30:01  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Henry
..and why do the May editions of magazines come out in early April? Yes, we could - but back on topic...

BTW, anyone here been enjoying Bob Carr's 'Diary Of A Foreign Minister'? The quotes I've seen and heard are magnificent.

"I am Foreign Minister. I soar above the mundane and serve my country."
"Business class. No edible food, no airline pyjamas. I lie here in my tailored suit."
"Every meal I am served as Foreign Minister is bland, steamed, white fish. This apparently reflects a Fuhrer directive I had the department sent out about my diet, but whoever drafted it overshot the mark. I want turkey, I want grass-fed beef. This is the new Fuhrer directive."

Edited by - Zac on 14 Apr 2014 17:34:12
Go to Top of Page

Henry
Jaded Old Coot

Australia
3356 Posts
joined 12 Feb 04

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  17:37:22  Show Profile  Visit Henry's Homepage Send Henry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

quote:
Originally posted by Henry
..and why do the May editions of magazines come out in early April? Yes, we could - but back on topic...

BTW, anyone here been enjoying Bob Carr's 'Diary Of A Foreign Minister'? The quotes I've seen and heard are magnificent.

"I am Foreign Minister. I soar above the mundane and serve my country."
"Business class. No edible food, no airline pyjamas. I lie here in my tailored suit."
"Every meal I am served as Foreign Minister is bland, steamed, white fish. This apparently reflects a Fuhrer directive I had the department sent out about my diet, but whoever drafted it overshot the mark. I want turkey, I want grass-fed beef. This is the new Fuhrer directive."

I left NSW to get away from that dick. In no hurry to read the book. Certainly wouldn't pay for it.

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9779 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  18:10:49  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I thought he did a lot of good things as Premier, but he was off with the pixies when he was Foreign Minister. I can't think of anything he did as Foreign Minister, but it seems as though he spent a lot of time self-indulging and waffling.

Here's a few random things for Trev to think about: You're 57. Just say you had been earning $75,000 p.a. for the last 25 years. That would have been a very good earn 25 years ago, and not a bad earn fifteen or even ten years ago, but anyway... At current rates, your income tax contribution would be $15,732 p.a. That doesn't allow for deductions which would reduce it somewhat, but let's go with that. You would have paid $393,300 in income tax. Now, let's say you retire at 65, and live to 90. Your pension (once again, at current rates) would be $19,916 p.a. By the time you die at 90, your pension payments would total $497,000. Say you depart at age 85, your pension payments would total $398,320. Still more than the total amount you paid in income tax - but governments need income taxes for far more things than paying pensions. There's the problem - and exacerbated by this big demographic bump that you and I are part of (baby-boomers). We were the demographic bump that as workers enabled governments to pay pensions and other benefits to the generations ahead of us. Now we're heading into retirement, there's way more of us than there are tax-paying workers to support us. Big problem.

FWIW, I turned 65 a month ago and have no plans to retire. Believe it or not, I'm enjoying working, and as a non-fishing, non-bowling, non-golfing, non-grey nomadding type, I will continue working for some time yet.
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14226 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  19:21:05  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So with over 80% of voters wanting the racial discrimination Act 18C left as it is.....just who's interests are Abbott and the LNP serving in changing it? Watch this space I reckon......

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  19:44:57  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
whether I want to retire at 65 is irrelevant, the point is that all the bastards that come before me have benefited from my hard work, who the **** came up with January 1957 as the cut off, FFS I was born in February 1957!!!!!!

I have paid my taxes, I want my pension!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9779 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  19:45:27  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I wasn't asked, but I see no reason to change it. It's a good act that's about to be watered down and messed up.
We're "on the same page" here. Has your friend Godfrey had anything to say on this?

EDIT: Sorry, Trev. I was replying to REM. Are you doing an 'Alf Stewart from Neighbours' on us here? Here's a thought: Introduce the Trev Tax Act into your family, and get your son and daughters to pay your pension. Good idea, eh?

Edited by - Zac on 14 Apr 2014 19:54:51
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14226 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  19:56:38  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

I wasn't asked, but I see no reason to change it. It's a good act that's about to be watered down and messed up.
We're "on the same page" here. Has your friend Godfrey had anything to say on this?

As you'd expect...Godfrey is in support of changing it....he feels like a marginalised, minority being a middle aged white bloke living on the Northern Beaches earning 190K.....and he reckons Tony ,Pyno and Bolty have a good plan to sell it to the great unwashed...but sadly, he was a bit short on details......apparently wearing a white sheet over your head affects your hearing somewhat....?

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  19:58:59  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Zac is not about the money the kids in the future need to earn to pay my pension, my bitch is about the money, me, you and every other hard-working, tax paying baby boomer paid the consecutive Government for them to squirrel away to pay our pensions and the ****ers didn't do it, instead the ****ers spent it on themselves and every other worthless proposal

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 13.8 seconds.