V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 590

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22433 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 04 May 2014 :  15:18:41  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Iggle we have never had anything from Cenrrelink our whole lives - no part A this, part B that, no dole...
In the times I have chosen not to work we have lived on our own money.
When we had kids we did it on one wage, no maternity leave or anything like that (probably Trev did too)!
We made the decisions that affected us and so should others. This relying on the gov't for handouts to keep your way of life is just crap (IMO).

If that's self centred, so be it.
I care about my fellow man but I'm not going to hold his hand.

Edited by - Legendary Gerry on 04 May 2014 15:20:08
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14308 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 04 May 2014 :  18:44:03  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's great that you have choices LG....and I admire your self sufficiency......but isn't it a leap of faith to deduce....that because you can....everyone else can? Govt moderation of market forces/excesses affords a stable quality of life for all...the LNP's rush to make us a New America will further erode the basic egalitarian Australian way of life....and usher in all manner of social ills.....have a look at USA's social ills for a view of LNP future! No social security....sell meth! Highest incarcerated population in the developed world, highest levels of gun shootings,no minimum wage, people dying because they can't get access to health services...etc, etc.....is this really the future we really want?

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Edited by - REM on 04 May 2014 18:46:54
Go to Top of Page

Iggle Piggle
Formula Ford Driver

Australia
360 Posts
joined 16 Dec 11

Posted - 04 May 2014 :  18:58:41  Show Profile Send Iggle Piggle a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
All cool LG - I know it is not what you meant but your original post read like "I'm OK so who cares about anyone else" - was just stirring but forgot the smiley.

_Maluminium-bonnet
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22433 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 04 May 2014 :  19:06:01  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
REM, I'm nothing special - I didn't come from a money background (far, far from a rich kid - started working part time when I was 9!) but was instilled at an early age to understand the importance of work ethic.
"If you want something, work for it until you can afford it"
Pay cash.
Too many today want everything now and aren't prepared ("Why should I, I don't want to?") to make do with whatever until the right time comes.
It's their fault (no-one else's) that they have got themselves in the position of unsustainability because they have to have it now.
Credit cards and this "no interest" crap are the worst monetary things invented.
Government handouts should only be for the truly needy and not every Tom, Dick or Harry who just couldn't be bothered.
If you can't afford the mortgage then you shouldn't have bought it in the first place.
If you can't afford child care, then one stays home while the other works...
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14308 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 04 May 2014 :  19:15:38  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Been working with unemployed, the addicted and mentally unfirm for just over 11 years.....reckon I could count on both hands the amount who truly couldn't be bothered...and see them every working day......but I agree....these lazy dole bludgers living like kings while doing nothing on $36 per day..."that's $36 per day"...really shouldn't be given loans and credit cards for thousands of dollars that they can never hope to repay......deregulation....there's always a cost!

Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22433 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 04 May 2014 :  20:00:53  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A lot of my work has been with, for and on behalf of ABIs, PIs, IIs, ASDs, ODDs, ASVBSs and FASDs so I have a pretty good idea on those who couldn't be bothered and the truly needy so I'm not sure on what you mean by

There's different ways of reading that.
Go to Top of Page

Madaz
Team Manager

Australia
5056 Posts
joined 21 Mar 07

Posted - 04 May 2014 :  21:15:09  Show Profile Send Madaz a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Legendary Gerry

REM, I'm nothing special - I didn't come from a money background (far, far from a rich kid - started working part time when I was 9!) but was instilled at an early age to understand the importance of work ethic.
Pay cash.
Too many today want everything now and aren't prepared ("Why should I, I don't want to?") to make do with whatever until the right time comes.
It's their fault (no-one else's) that they have got themselves in the position of unsustainability because they have to have it now.
Credit cards and this "no interest" crap are the worst monetary things invented.
Government handouts should only be for the truly needy and not every Tom, Dick or Harry who just couldn't be bothered.
If you can't afford the mortgage then you shouldn't have bought it in the first place.

Such a simplistic and idealistic view of life you have.

Some people work their arses off to support their family and still can't make ends meet. They certainly don't have the option not to work like you. They live from pay packet to pay packet. They're called the working poor.

The proposed budget changes will make these hard-working people even worse off under the current Federal government.

2018 Fantasy League Overall Champion
2017 Fantasy League Tournament Champion

Edited by - Madaz on 04 May 2014 21:16:17
Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot

12725 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 04 May 2014 :  21:17:55  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Pay cash.

This I can agree with.

But I do expect services for my tax dollars. What's the point of paying a medicare levy if I have to pay over the counter? Basic public services such as health, education and pensions should never be cut back.

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford
Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 05 May 2014 :  03:18:49  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Iggle we have never had anything from Cenrrelink our whole lives - no part A this, part B that, no dole...
When we had kids we did it on one wage, no maternity leave or anything like that (probably Trev did too)!
We made the decisions that affected us and so should others. This relying on the gov't for handouts to keep your way of life is just crap (IMO).

Just how old are you? unemployment benefits have been paid since 1945, if you.were too lazy to apply in the last 70 years that's your problem.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/94713ad445ff1425ca25682000192af2/8e72c4526a94aaedca2569de00296978!OpenDocument

And if you went to university between 1974 and 1989, that was entirely free. Now youth is charged thousands for a course, of course they need a handout.

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5846 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 05 May 2014 :  07:29:02  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Pay cash.
It's their fault (no-one else's) that they have got themselves in the position of sustainability because they have to have it now.

Jesus, LG you and are singing the same tune

It is a pity the younger generation don't live the same way, they wouldn't have to rely on middle class welfare to get them through

To purchase our first home back in 1981 we had to have one third of the actual purchase price of the house in the bank for a solid 12 month period, that is a 1/3rd of the price of the house locked away in the bank for 12 months. In today's terms on a $300,000 home that would be $100,000 in the bank locked away for 12 months, you had to prove to the bank that you weren't a financial risk

None of these young people would know how to do that, and when they can't survive they expect us (the tax payers) to put our hands in our pocket to help them pay for child care, to have babies and every ****en thing else, they all need to harden the **** up, stop being dependent on Government handouts and work their arses off to pay for stuff and stop living on credit

When I was 18 (back in 1975) I couldn't get a $1500 loan to buy a 2nd hand car because you could only borrow money if you were over 21, so I asked my dad to go guarantor for me, not actually give me the money, but just sign off that if I failed to make payments he would, he said no, 2 things from that, I never asked the old bastard for a single thing for the rest of his life, 2ndly it taught me the importance of buying stuff you can afford and living within your means

The Governments love this ****, they buy your votes by giving you 'assistance', we bought our first house in 1981, we had 4 kids in 4 years, we had one wage, we had a small 12" black and white portable TV, we had an old foam mattress as a couch. My wife made all the kids clothes, we lived a meager existence, there was a time we had to save the petrol money up to drive 50k's away for a picnic

And I am nothing special, up until I was 30 I as just a truck-driver labourer, in 1987 I decided to improve myself and I worked my arse off to do that, I am certainly not a 'highly paid' worker now.

And that is also why I am dirty with this ****en idiot Government ****ing us over, when we where the ones that lived within our means and now the ****s want to punish us because of their poor management and over-generosity pandering to you youngun's

These young generation need to harden the **** up

I reserve the right to arm bears

Edited by - Trev on 05 May 2014 07:36:43
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22433 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 05 May 2014 :  09:05:18  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by 27GV

quote:

Just how old are you? unemployment benefits have been paid since 1945, if you.were too lazy to apply in the last 70 years that's your problem.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/94713ad445ff1425ca25682000192af2/8e72c4526a94aaedca2569de00296978!OpenDocument

And if you went to university between 1974 and 1989, that was entirely free. Now youth is charged thousands for a course, of course they need a handout.

Who said anything about being lazy?
I said I chose not to.
It was my decision when I worked and when I didn't.
...and as for uni, I was bonded to my employer for a number of years.

Madaz, I'm just a simple man who likes simple things.
Why overcomplicate life?

Edited by - Legendary Gerry on 05 May 2014 09:18:10
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22433 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 05 May 2014 :  09:15:59  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Trev, it's not just this government ****ing us over - it's a succession of governments and they love the "Gimme Generation" as they get more money.

I can understand the raising of the pension eligibility age as we now (and presumably in the future) live a hell of a lot longer than our forefathers.
We are getting plenty of warning. The previous government started this ball rolling.
As was said earlier (Zac?), the pension when it was brought in was only for a few years retirement as we dropped dead soon after.
Now we are living for a long time after retirement.
I don't agree with the rumoured changes to the way it's calculated though.
Go to Top of Page

falcon_cobra
Kiss Fanatic

Sweden
8822 Posts
joined 02 Dec 04

Posted - 05 May 2014 :  09:22:50  Show Profile  Click to see falcon_cobra's MSN Messenger address Send falcon_cobra a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

+1

_Mvolvo
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14308 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 05 May 2014 :  09:26:44  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Reminds me of the great Chomsky quote about the role of todays media: Rich people paying rich people to tell middle class people to blame poor people

Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 05 May 2014 :  12:28:32  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by 27GV

quote:

Who said anything about being lazy?
I said I chose not to.
It was my decision when I worked and when I didn't.
...and as for uni, I was bonded to my employer for a number of years.

So, that's your choice to choose the hard way if you want to punish yourself but you can't whine about everyone else taking the opportunities offered to them. I can take 3 hours to walk to work but then I won't start complaining about people having a bus that takes 30 minutes.

As for hand outs.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-05/budget-joe-hockey-moves-to-assure-miners-over-fuel-rebate/5429482

How do you feel about the tax breaks and subsidies business gets.

_Mford
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 590 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.91 seconds.