V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

REM
Team Manager



Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

 offline

Posted - 05 May 2014 :  23:51:16  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You are doing fine Zaccy! What would I do.....well I'd concentrate on growing the economy....jobs programs...you know! I'd shelve the PPL...."till the budget is in surplus", I'd look at pensions....having people with their own homes, plus up to 1 Million in assets, earning up to 70K and drawing a part pension is just plain wrong....then...if we really had to have cuts.....well here goes....4.5 Bill subsidies to mining-gone, 9 bill in super tax concessions for top 5% of income earners-gone,11 billion in subsides for investment-gone and finally....15.8 bill for tax cuts for top 10% of income earners-gone! how do you like dem apples? I'd also have a another look at the MRSPT and maybe put aside a substantial amount to fund a federal level ICAC type body.....where does all that donated money come from.....? And who funds the CFIS and IPA anyway???

I wonder if we looked at my cuts if the LNP would have the same zeal to "rescue the budget"?

I'd also keep the retirement age as is.....but offer tax free(reduced maybe) work for the 3 year(67-70 year old) period, with incentives to train young people and apprentices.....to my mind...forcing older people working longer, who don't want to work...while youth unemployment skyrockets...is just plan stupid?


Do you reckon that Pyne is the only person who could sit next to Trevorrow and thereby make him(Trevorrow) look 'somewhat' macho and manly...?

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.



Edited by - REM on 06 May 2014 00:16:08
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager



Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

 offline

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  06:18:06  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Iggle Piggle

Trev and LG - don't you think you might be making some sweeping generalisations about different generations?

Not all Gen Ys or iGens are useless partying layabouts with no motivation, and not all baby boomers slaved in full time employment their whole lives (not sure all those hippies in the 60's and early 70's fit your description of hard-working tax-paying baby boomers during that period, nor the surf crews).

Those examples may not be the majority of their generation - not sure your assessment of the younguns is the majority of their gen

don't believe the media's and American stereotyping my friend, we were there

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack



Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

 offline

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  08:39:21  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by REM

You are doing fine Zaccy! What would I do.....well I'd concentrate on growing the economy....jobs programs...you know! I'd shelve the PPL...."till the budget is in surplus", I'd look at pensions....having people with their own homes, plus up to 1 Million in assets, earning up to 70K and drawing a part pension is just plain wrong....then...if we really had to have cuts.....well here goes....4.5 Bill subsidies to mining-gone, 9 bill in super tax concessions for top 5% of income earners-gone,11 billion in subsides for investment-gone and finally....15.8 bill for tax cuts for top 10% of income earners-gone! how do you like dem apples? I'd also have a another look at the MRSPT and maybe put aside a substantial amount to fund a federal level ICAC type body.....where does all that donated money come from.....? And who funds the CFIS and IPA anyway???

I wonder if we looked at my cuts if the LNP would have the same zeal to "rescue the budget"?

I'd also keep the retirement age as is.....but offer tax free(reduced maybe) work for the 3 year(67-70 year old) period, with incentives to train young people and apprentices.....to my mind...forcing older people working longer, who don't want to work...while youth unemployment skyrockets...is just plan stupid?

Do you reckon that Pyne is the only person who could sit next to Trevorrow and thereby make him(Trevorrow) look 'somewhat' macho and manly...?
Hey! I like Mark Trevorrow.

"Grow the economy" is very nice. It certainly has a positive ring to it. The voters would like that one. Some of your other ideas are in the Commission of Audit's recommendations, so they won't be happening, and the Paid Parental Leave Scheme is already starting to sink. I think Tony Abbott is the only one in the Government still supporting it - and he's gone a bit quiet on it lately. I don't know about those tax cuts for top income earners. Isn't the Government and the C of A suggesting the opposite, hitting those top incomes with increased taxes?

We and many others agree on getting the mining industry to pay a fairer share of taxes, but you lost me on some of those acronyms. I googled some and I'm still no wiser. MRSPT? I found the 'Military Road School Preservation Trust'. Is that it? It's in Mosman, so it can go. The raised retirement age is hardly going to help the budget anytime soon. It's set to start (in small increments) in around a decade, and it's not necessarily forcing old people to work longer. It's just not paying them a pension quite so soon, but tax free or reduced taxes for those in the 65+ age bracket: I like that. That's me. Maybe that was in the C of A as well. I know that I heard someone talking that up recently.

All in all: Your ideas are... well, taken as a package, maybe a bit too Left to ever become reality. Maybe just a few in a watered down form to begin with. That's the problem, as you know. If you don't bring the voters along with you, you don't stay around long enough to see the benefits. That's why Joe is looking less jolly lately.

PS: Also, I'd ban people buying hubcaps online from overseas. Every little bit that stays in Australia helps.

Edited by - Zac on 06 May 2014 08:43:55
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager



Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

 offline

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  09:18:50  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Has the Government doubled the budget deficit?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-06/has-the-government-doubled-the-budget-deficit/5423392

quote:
The verdict

Mr Bowen accurately quoted changes totalling $68 billion in the Mid-Year Economic and Fiscal Outlook.

The MYEFO forecasts a budget deficit twice as large as it was in the PEFO. The economic assumptions in MYEFO are different from those used in the PEFO, and there is spending in the MYEFO that was not in the previous forecasts.

It remains to be seen how the two sets of forecasts stand the test of time, but as of today, Mr Bowen's claim checks out.

I reserve the right to arm bears

Edited by - Trev on 06 May 2014 09:19:38
Go to Top of Page

Iggle Piggle
Formula Ford Driver



Australia
360 Posts
joined 16 Dec 11

 offline

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  10:34:26  Show Profile Send Iggle Piggle a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trev

quote:
Originally posted by Iggle Piggle

Trev and LG - don't you think you might be making some sweeping generalisations about different generations?

Not all Gen Ys or iGens are useless partying layabouts with no motivation, and not all baby boomers slaved in full time employment their whole lives (not sure all those hippies in the 60's and early 70's fit your description of hard-working tax-paying baby boomers during that period, nor the surf crews).

Those examples may not be the majority of their generation - not sure your assessment of the younguns is the majority of their gen

don't believe the media's and American stereotyping my friend, we were there



Don't believe that where you were back then was everywhere and all those around you were indicative of everyone else in that period of time.

I don't believe everyone was a hippie back then, but I don't believe everyone was as hard working and conscientious as you describe.

quote:
Originally posted by REM

Do you reckon that Pyne is the only person who could sit next to Trevorrow and thereby make him(Trevorrow) look 'somewhat' macho and manly...?





I just wished some of the students would shut up and let Pyne try to answer some of the questions put to him...not just out of respect/manners but to give him enough rope. There were some excellent (difficult) questions and all they did was give him reason to stop talking and not answer what was put to him.

Not just talking about the protesters who I think did more harm to their cause than good.

quote:
Originally posted by Zac

PS: Also, I'd ban people buying hubcaps online from overseas. Every little bit that stays in Australia helps.





This thread is really starting to deliver.

_Maluminium-bonnet
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry
Moderator



Australia
22229 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

 offline

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  10:47:18  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Just realised that I'm in a similar boat to Trev!
I buy car parts overseas because they're not available here.
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot



Australia
11159 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

 offline

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  10:49:36  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There hasn't been any news about Reachtel/Neilsen/PolesRus poles for a while, so one was done yesterday and if an election was held yesterday, Labor would win.

Are broken promises (which were hollow in the first place), the main reason for people no longer liking Liberal, or is it a case of people getting what they want (new government) and then hating the final product?
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager



Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

 offline

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  11:37:01  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
People didn't vote the Liberals in, they voted Labor out, Labor did make some fundamental mistakes and I blame Rudd for the whole lot

They knew they would get a bit of a crappy deal under the Liberals, but now they are realising just how crappy the deal is and they are not liking it, the Liberals are targeting the cuts to the people who voted them in, that is how ****en stupid they are.

I reserve the right to arm bears

Edited by - Trev on 06 May 2014 11:37:35
Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager



5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

 offline

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  13:44:12  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

That's your take on it. I have three children probably somewhere around your age or a bit older: 29, 31 and 33. All have tertiary qualifications and have fulfilling, full-time employment in their chosen fields. Same goes for their friends. My eldest son has his full-time career and chooses to do extra freelance work as well. My daughter has a demanding managerial job and works a second job while saving to buy an investment property. My youngest son only has the one job but works many extra hours in it.

I know it's not easy for young people, but maybe you should think a little more positively and stop blaming whoever is in government, foreign students, Thailand, the Chinese and anyone but yourself.

PS: My first full-time job as an apprentice paid me $9.95 per week (actually 4 pounds, 19 shillings and 6 pence) after tax. Out of that I paid $3 board to my parents and $3 in fares. That left $3.95 to live on and to save. My second year didn't pay all that much more. I also worked a second job a few nights a week. And guess what? Hard-working migrants were taking jobs from Aussies all over the place back then too.



30% of your income in fares. Wow, public transport was just as bad back then, too.

I earn $24 an hour when I get the work, but like most young people its part time because full time jobs are sadly a relic of your era.

http://m.theaustralian.com.au/business/latest/aust-jobless-rate-58-in-dec/story-e6frg90f-1226803110562

Hard working *migrants*... nowadays the jobs are taken by foreign workers and students with no intention of ever becoming citizens. And they send much of the money overseas. We put the migrants who actually want to live here in a detention center!


_Mford
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager



Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

 offline

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  17:39:16  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

quote:
Originally posted by REM

You are doing fine Zaccy! What would I do.....well I'd concentrate on growing the economy....jobs programs...you know! I'd shelve the PPL...."till the budget is in surplus", I'd look at pensions....having people with their own homes, plus up to 1 Million in assets, earning up to 70K and drawing a part pension is just plain wrong....then...if we really had to have cuts.....well here goes....4.5 Bill subsidies to mining-gone, 9 bill in super tax concessions for top 5% of income earners-gone,11 billion in subsides for investment-gone and finally....15.8 bill for tax cuts for top 10% of income earners-gone! how do you like dem apples? I'd also have a another look at the MRSPT and maybe put aside a substantial amount to fund a federal level ICAC type body.....where does all that donated money come from.....? And who funds the CFIS and IPA anyway???

I wonder if we looked at my cuts if the LNP would have the same zeal to "rescue the budget"?

I'd also keep the retirement age as is.....but offer tax free(reduced maybe) work for the 3 year(67-70 year old) period, with incentives to train young people and apprentices.....to my mind...forcing older people working longer, who don't want to work...while youth unemployment skyrockets...is just plan stupid?

Do you reckon that Pyne is the only person who could sit next to Trevorrow and thereby make him(Trevorrow) look 'somewhat' macho and manly...?
Hey! I like Mark Trevorrow.

"Grow the economy" is very nice. It certainly has a positive ring to it. The voters would like that one. Some of your other ideas are in the Commission of Audit's recommendations, so they won't be happening, and the Paid Parental Leave Scheme is already starting to sink. I think Tony Abbott is the only one in the Government still supporting it - and he's gone a bit quiet on it lately. I don't know about those tax cuts for top income earners. Isn't the Government and the C of A suggesting the opposite, hitting those top incomes with increased taxes?

We and many others agree on getting the mining industry to pay a fairer share of taxes, but you lost me on some of those acronyms. I googled some and I'm still no wiser. MRSPT? I found the 'Military Road School Preservation Trust'. Is that it? It's in Mosman, so it can go. The raised retirement age is hardly going to help the budget anytime soon. It's set to start (in small increments) in around a decade, and it's not necessarily forcing old people to work longer. It's just not paying them a pension quite so soon, but tax free or reduced taxes for those in the 65+ age bracket: I like that. That's me. Maybe that was in the C of A as well. I know that I heard someone talking that up recently.

All in all: Your ideas are... well, taken as a package, maybe a bit too Left to ever become reality. Maybe just a few in a watered down form to begin with. That's the problem, as you know. If you don't bring the voters along with you, you don't stay around long enough to see the benefits. That's why Joe is looking less jolly lately.

PS: Also, I'd ban people buying hubcaps online from overseas. Every little bit that stays in Australia helps.



Mining Resource Super Profits Tax....!

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.


Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager



5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

 offline

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  01:02:06  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
http://www.afr.com/p/national/icac_probe_inches_closer_to_abbott_tlnRTpGLPgO4FzI08Ha5BO

ICAC probe inches closer to Abbott

Haha, no wonder he doesn't want one in Canberra.


_Mford
Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot



12530 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

 offline

Posted - 09 May 2014 :  18:00:56  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager



Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

 offline

Posted - 10 May 2014 :  01:39:43  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
where is the big bit of paper he signed in front of the camera's saying what he would and wouldn't do

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

bigem
A polar bear



Australia
15994 Posts
joined 22 Jun 04

 offline

Posted - 11 May 2014 :  20:30:45  Show Profile Send bigem a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trev

where is the big bit of paper he signed in front of the camera's saying what he would and wouldn't do



He probably used it to wipe his arse as he laughed at the sheep who swallowed all of his bull**** before the election and voted the lying prick in!!

New Commodore Hey! So you used your own money? Would you like to buy a used bridge?
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager



Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

 offline

Posted - 12 May 2014 :  05:57:07  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think you might be right Em

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  











Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.39 seconds.