V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 14 May 2014 :  10:28:57  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My wife was just saying that they have cuts funds to the States for Education and Health telling them to increase the GST, he didn't say that last night

The devil is always in the detail - leaving out important information is a form of lying in my opinion, shonky and hiding stuff

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 14 May 2014 :  10:35:17  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's all about getting the states to beg for a raising of the GST.

Take the states funding and they will have no choice.

It's gutless and a cowards way of getting the states to be part of raise. The state governments will be the ones copping it from the voters

ONLY LITTLE BOYZ WEAR BOWTIES

Edited by - bigcol on 14 May 2014 10:36:04
Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot

12532 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 14 May 2014 :  11:12:39  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Legendary Gerry

quote:
Originally posted by Trev

Tough budget this year

Mid budget next year

Then a 'great news' budget in election year, so ****ing predictable

Yep, the tried and true system used by every government.

Except the last one.

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford
Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 14 May 2014 :  12:01:06  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bigcol

It's gutless and a cowards way of getting the states to be part of raise. The state governments will be the ones copping it from the voters

Another tax rise from Tony. No surprises haha.

Thank god Labor and Palmer will probably block it and remove the worst of the ****.

As for the LNP, at least Julia only stabbed Kev in the back. Tony is stabbing the tax payer repeatedly in the arse, and he ain't using his knife.

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 14 May 2014 :  12:10:33  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bigcol

Exactly, you are spot on, it makes the States look like the bad guys thus increasing these idiots chances of re-election in 3 years

EDIT:

Well it likes we might be going to an election sooner rather than later if Abbott keeps this promise, he reckons he will call an early election if ALL of the budget measures don't get up

I reserve the right to arm bears

Edited by - Trev on 14 May 2014 13:03:38
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9780 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 14 May 2014 :  14:30:52  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by REM

Zaccy....did you see this? Awesome article....
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/13/keeping-labor-out-does-the-liberal-party-stand-for-anything-else?CMP=twt_gu

Mmm... IMHO describing it as awesome is verging on hyper-bowl. I'd call it interesting and thought provoking, and a mixture of opinion and facts. It's headed: 'Keeping Labor out: Does the Liberal Party stand for anything else?' Reasonable question, but early in the article he says: "When push came to shove, the liberals and conservatives were as one as defenders of capital - so the Labor Party was born..." He could have just as easily written a very similar piece titled: "Keeping the Coalition out: Does the Labor Party stand for anything else?" Still, a good piece and I enjoy reading anything that makes me query the status quo.

I really am struggling to work out what the major parties stand for these days. I've just listened to the ABC's one hour daily program, 'The World Today'. It was full of stuff about last night's budget, but also had reports from various places, like the Royal Commission into the home insulation program. Various people, politicians, ministers, department heads, etc. having lots of "I don't recall" moments and doing whatever they can to absolve themselves and blame others. Then there's good old ICAC in Sydney. Various people, politicians, ministers, department heads, etc. having lots of "I don't recall" moments and doing whatever they can to absolve themselves and blame others. There's also the Royal Commission into union corruption. Various people, politicians, ministers, department heads, etc. having lots of "I don't recall" moments and doing whatever they can to absolve themselves and blame others. In amongst all these people, up pops the occasional odd-bod who says "Yep, I did it - and So-and-so was in on it with me." Very entertaining, but it's not doing much for the public's perception of politicians of either side of politics. Peter Slipper still gets in the news even after all this time, there's the general smell around lobbyists, and whenever any of those stories go quiet, there'll be something somewhere about some politician with his/her snout in the trough.

I don't know how anyone can support either the Coalition or the Labor Party. I guess for those who don't, we have Clive Palmer waddling around babbling about how he supports "average Australians". Spare me.

Just on the budget: As we all knew before last night. Lots of cuts, but not too much "heavy lifting" for corporate Australia. Very easy to criticise, and the Coalition will continue to take a hit in the polls. Up until the budget, as the Coalition dropped in the polls, the Labor Party was dropping with it. Maybe that'll change at least in the short term. However, while we criticise the budget, and there wasn't a "budget emergency" or "budget crisis", we can't keep borrowing at the current rate. Someone had to make a start. Actually, I see that just before the last election, Labor had listed proposed cuts across the Public Service and various departments totalling 2% across the board. Last night's budget just raised those cuts from 2% to 2.25%. Maybe Labor was slowly waking up. http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/australian-tax-office-the-biggest-loser-as-public-service-staff-cut-in-budget-20140513-3884c.html Start from the 4th paragraph.
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11163 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 14 May 2014 :  17:51:46  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
God there are some nutjobs on the radio today. Someone complained about Hockey smoking a cigar because it gives MPs a bad look as they are smoking luxury products, while the poor people are getting cuts left, right and centre.
Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 14 May 2014 :  23:56:19  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CP

God there are some nutjobs on the radio today. Someone complained about Hockey smoking a cigar because it gives MPs a bad look as they are smoking luxury products, while the poor people are getting cuts left, right and centre.

I don't see the problem with that complaint. Typical pollies: austerity for everyone but themselves.

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9780 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 15 May 2014 :  19:09:05  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I saw Tony Abbott on the news tonight. He was getting out of the PM Statesman Caprice with the 'C*1' plates, actually smiling. To show some respect for all the poor people who now have to pay $7 to visit their doctors, he should get himself a VN Commodore or an EA Falcon, drive it himself, and stop smiling.

(Yes, Trev. I know.)
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22231 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 15 May 2014 :  20:54:38  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Zac, if they sell their VN and invest the $2 they should have enough for a visit in 13 months time when it comes in.
Go to Top of Page

Iggle Piggle
Formula Ford Driver

Australia
360 Posts
joined 16 Dec 11

Posted - 15 May 2014 :  21:15:16  Show Profile Send Iggle Piggle a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Zac, if they sell their VN and invest the $2 they should have enough for a visit in 13 months time when it comes in.

Or they could swap the VN for 12 EAs, then take the EAs to a scrap yard - should give them enough to visit the doc now.

_Maluminium-bonnet
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14227 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 15 May 2014 :  21:26:25  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Iggle Piggle

quote:

Or they could swap the VN for 12 EAs, then take the EAs to a scrap yard - should give them enough to visit the doc now.

They were both heaps of junk......the EA just happened to be 10 times the better looking car...

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22231 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 15 May 2014 :  22:02:53  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Iggle Piggle

quote:

But they don't need the money now!
By the time it comes in (if it comes in) they will have spent all their money on booze, ciggies and Maccas.
Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 16 May 2014 :  00:21:04  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19tGgc5ZGOQ&feature=youtu.be

Damn, this is the first PM or opposition leader to look anything like a true leader in years. K.O. Round One to Shorten. Abbott's stuck his head in the sand and is even ignoring his big old mate Howard's advice.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-15/abbott-dismisses-budget-criticism-from-john-howard/5455732

quote:
Originally posted by Zac

I saw Tony Abbott on the news tonight. He was getting out of the PM Statesman Caprice with the 'C*1' plates, actually smiling. To show some respect for all the poor people who now have to pay $7 to visit their doctors, he should get himself a VN Commodore or an EA Falcon, drive it himself, and stop smiling.

(Yes, Trev. I know.)

Don't worry Zaccy, he already upgraded to BMWs at our expense.

_Mford

Edited by - 27GV on 16 May 2014 00:44:34
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9780 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 16 May 2014 :  07:30:07  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We're paying? We have reached a new low.

quote:
Originally posted by 27GV

Damn, this is the first PM or opposition leader to look anything like a true leader in years.
It was a magnificent Budget Reply speech. He managed to talk solidly for half an hour and (apart from saying he's against it) managed to avoid coming up with any alternatives or initiatives to answer what was in the original Budget Speech. Is this the new Mr Negativity?

Speaking of speeches: I was listening to one of the ABC's many Sydney radio stations yesterday (630) and what was happening at the pink batts Royal Commission in Brisbane. I said earlier that there have been heaps of "I don't recall"s at the various inquiries and Royal Commissions. Mark Arbib holds the current record with 128 "I don't recall"s in one day. It was Kevin Rudd's turn yesterday. After his last big speech to the good burghers of Australia - his 22 minute victory speech after he lost the election, I was expecting big things from the master of 'It's all about me'. He didn't disappoint. He generally avoided saying "I don't recall". Why say one or two words when you can make up whole new phrases of waffle? Here's a couple of examples: "I have no particular familiarity with that conversation to which you refer", "I stand to be corrected, and, I'm paraphrasing here, but I believe the words were more along the lines of", and "I cannot reconstruct my thinking for that occasion" - and on and on he went. Marvellous stuff, that - and that's at least three "I don't recall"s that he managed to avoid.

Edited by - Zac on 16 May 2014 08:11:53
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 7 seconds.