V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 29 May 2014 :  14:11:15  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Abbott is a fool, his party will flick him that is for sure, not sure when, but they will, he has become a liability very very quickly

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9780 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 29 May 2014 :  16:42:55  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by 27GV

http://www.ellistabletalk.com/2014/05/27/abbotts-end-37-the-last-nine-days/

Pundits already see the end is near for Abbott.
Bob Ellis? The old Leftie could be described as a pundit, I suppose. Just not a very accurate one. Some of his previous 'punditting' included writing a book about Australian politics during the Howard years and having the first edition withdrawn from sale after Tony Abbott and Peter Costello sued him for defamatory comments he made about them. Abbott and Costello (I like that) were awarded $277,000 in damages. The books were pulped and he went home to rewrite the untrue and defamatory bits. He punditted again when Julia Gillard was PM, telling us that she was "not well-informed and wrong" and also saying that she had "no power, no influence, no friends and no learning. There's not much there". OTOH, (possibly affected by the defamation case he lost) he described Tony Abbott as being "formidable, possessing good manners and a first class mind". Who knows what he's on about this time, but telling us that "it's likely that Abbott will be overthrown in the next nine days" sounds about as accurate as the stuff I mentioned. There again, as a rusted-on Labor man, if he was right, he may regret it in around ten days. I wonder if he thinks Malcolm Turnbull is "formidable, possessing good manners and a first class mind"?

"Anyone but Abbott" could be the smartest three word slogan for the Liberal Party about now - but it won't happen within nine days.

Maybe it's a coincidence, but I heard Alan Jones having a rave about what a wonderful PM Tony Abbott is turning out to be. One of our great Prime Ministers, apparently. With Jones' great ability to back lost causes, he's about as accurate with political predictions as Bob Ellis. Jones and Ellis can't both be right - but (to quote Ellis) "It's not certain - but likely" they could both be wrong.

Edited by - Zac on 29 May 2014 16:53:20
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17533 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 29 May 2014 :  16:51:09  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Interesting the NZ budget have them back in the black....they had the same GFC as we did but not the mining boom....makes you wonder

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11165 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 29 May 2014 :  22:12:56  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne

Interesting the NZ budget have them back in the black....they had the same GFC as we did but not the mining boom....makes you wonder

Smaller population maybe?
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14227 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 29 May 2014 :  22:42:25  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

quote:
Originally posted by 27GV

http://www.ellistabletalk.com/2014/05/27/abbotts-end-37-the-last-nine-days/

Pundits already see the end is near for Abbott.
Bob Ellis? The old Leftie could be described as a pundit, I suppose. Just not a very accurate one. Some of his previous 'punditting' included writing a book about Australian politics during the Howard years and having the first edition withdrawn from sale after Tony Abbott and Peter Costello sued him for defamatory comments he made about them. Abbott and Costello (I like that) were awarded $277,000 in damages. The books were pulped and he went home to rewrite the untrue and defamatory bits. He punditted again when Julia Gillard was PM, telling us that she was "not well-informed and wrong" and also saying that she had "no power, no influence, no friends and no learning. There's not much there". OTOH, (possibly affected by the defamation case he lost) he described Tony Abbott as being "formidable, possessing good manners and a first class mind". Who knows what he's on about this time, but telling us that "it's likely that Abbott will be overthrown in the next nine days" sounds about as accurate as the stuff I mentioned. There again, as a rusted-on Labor man, if he was right, he may regret it in around ten days. I wonder if he thinks Malcolm Turnbull is "formidable, possessing good manners and a first class mind"?

"Anyone but Abbott" could be the smartest three word slogan for the Liberal Party about now - but it won't happen within nine days.

Maybe it's a coincidence, but I heard Alan Jones having a rave about what a wonderful PM Tony Abbott is turning out to be. One of our great Prime Ministers, apparently. With Jones' great ability to back lost causes, he's about as accurate with political predictions as Bob Ellis. Jones and Ellis can't both be right - but (to quote Ellis) "It's not certain - but likely" they could both be wrong.

Bob is a lovely bloke....I worked for him in 1994....he got a huge swing against Bishop......then his house burnt down!I still remember with pride...the Bronny staffers kicking me out of her office when I asked them where the after party was.......

hey....what are you doing listening to Polly?

Ps...it would be good manners to cite Wikipedia no?

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Edited by - REM on 29 May 2014 22:48:32
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9780 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 29 May 2014 :  23:18:56  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
1) I'm an inveterate dial twiddler. In amongst 576, 630, 702 and 2RPH, I have a listen around the dial. Believe me when I say that after about 5 mins of Polly Parrot, I'm twiddling again.

2) There was nothing on Wiki about Bob I didn't know, and it's only quoting other quotes, but it helped getting the quotes more or less right. It did remind me about King O'Malley, though. I remember seeing the play back in 1970. I can thank Bob for educating me in an entertaining way about O'Malley. We need a 2014 version of O'Malley to drag Australian politics up from diabolical to somewhere closer to mildly interesting.

Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14227 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 29 May 2014 :  23:30:19  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Zac.....a nob fiddler....! You won't live this down!

and re Wiki.... you do bite...ol mate!!!

Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22232 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 30 May 2014 :  17:39:26  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Must find out how to get on this gravy train!

http://www.michaelsmithnews.com/2014/05/no-tax-single-mum-on-55000-pa-and-still-complaining-that-its-not-enough.html

No wonder the current government is trying to reduce costs.

Get off your arse and

https://play.spotify.com/trackset/mediabar/5tyJFNpm94NvSKZA31H4r4/%23/0

Oh no, can't do that I probably won't get paid as much and I suppose someone will expect me to actually work!

Edited by - Legendary Gerry on 30 May 2014 17:49:10
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 30 May 2014 :  20:59:09  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Having read the last 50 odd pages since I last visited this site and seeing just how angry the labor tragics have been defending their high spending government, it's great to be in government!

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14227 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 31 May 2014 :  09:55:57  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The way he's goin Bundy ol mate.....I'd enjoy it now....while you can!

Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 01 Jun 2014 :  13:32:40  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Legendary Gerry

Must find out how to get on this gravy train!

http://www.michaelsmithnews.com/2014/05/no-tax-single-mum-on-55000-pa-and-still-complaining-that-its-not-enough.html

No wonder the current government is trying to reduce costs.

Get off your arse and

https://play.spotify.com/trackset/mediabar/5tyJFNpm94NvSKZA31H4r4/%23/0

Oh no, can't do that I probably won't get paid as much and I suppose someone will expect me to actually work!

You've missed the mark Gerry.

Bludgers like that are the ones that nobody really gives a rats rooter about if they lose money.

It's the genuine low income workers that are going to be screwed the most and welfare bludgers should be chased till they get a job.
It also misses the mark when it comes to under 30's receiving the dole
But you knew that

ONLY LITTLE BOYZ WEAR BOWTIES
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11165 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 01 Jun 2014 :  15:54:46  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
http://www.news.com.au/national/drug-tests-if-youre-on-the-dole/story-e6frfkp9-1226938400218

Seems like a good idea (on paper, like all good ideas), but would it work in practice? Sure, they could implement it tomorrow and one job seeker could get cut off for failing a drug test, yet if he/she is a habitual drug user, they can get on the disability pension if they are classed as too impaired to work due to drug use.

Surely it would be more logical to go after the latter more than the former?

Edited by - CP on 01 Jun 2014 15:55:43
Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 02 Jun 2014 :  00:35:49  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Speaking of gutter politics.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zwTgJCPtOXQ

Tony uses a rememberance message for Aussie diggers to push his toxic budget!

I can feel the seconds counting down until the backbench dumps him.

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14227 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 02 Jun 2014 :  09:00:15  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CP

http://www.news.com.au/national/drug-tests-if-youre-on-the-dole/story-e6frfkp9-1226938400218

Seems like a good idea (on paper, like all good ideas), but would it work in practice? Sure, they could implement it tomorrow and one job seeker could get cut off for failing a drug test, yet if he/she is a habitual drug user, they can get on the disability pension if they are classed as too impaired to work due to drug use.

Surely it would be more logical to go after the latter more than the former?

I have extensive experience of drug testing and conduct it most weeks.....it's expensive...between $25-$50 per test...what's more...you really only detect THC users as it stays in their system for 5-6 weeks.....in all likelihood this harebrained idea will increase ICE, Heroin and poly drug use.... Also...if you cut off or reduce a drug users social security...how do they finance their activities? But this article is really just another attempt by the Murdoch Press of rich people, telling middle-class people to blame poor people....but maybe that's who Australia is now?...the new USA?

Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22232 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 02 Jun 2014 :  10:01:12  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So you're fine with people being on the dole, not bothering to find work and just trippin' out.
I thought the 60s were looong gone.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 8.47 seconds.