V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22221 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 16 Jul 2014 :  11:15:17  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
UnfortunatelyM many folk can't opt out and change suppliers as there is only one in their area.
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11158 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 16 Jul 2014 :  13:10:47  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
HOULD Australia have more states, including a new northern NSW state?

See your ad here
Member for New England Barnaby Joyce has once again raised the issue of changing the state boundaries - or adding new states.

Mr Joyce said the White Paper on the Future of Federation was “a chance for Australia to move on from the bog we got stuck in in 1901 before cars and telephones, let alone computers and wireless broadband”.

The White Paper is due to be delivered to federal parliament by the end of 2015.

Mr Joyce said he remembered the 1967 referendum for a new state in northern NSW, a move that was “lost by the tactical move to include Newcastle”.

“The opposition to the proposition knew Newcastle would never swallow being run from Armidale,” he said.

“But the question northern NSW was posing was why should they be run from Sydney?

“In the Pilliga Forest, a timber resource which supports around 60 workers is being closed because of an edict from Sydney. The effect is a clear disenfranchisement of the constituency in the country from the legislature in Sydney on an issue that would be, at best, a peripheral interest to the commuters in Sydney but a fascination of those who have extra time on their hands in the inner suburbs.

“On the Breeza Plain, farmers who had their rights over coal under their property taken in 1983 without payment from a state parliament based in Sydney, now have the imminent threat of the same land being mined regardless of their property right to water or farming operation.”

Mr Joyce said across Australia, federal Senators overwhelmingly lived in capital cities.

He said in Western Australia, 12 out of the 12 senators lived in Perth, Adelaide had 11 out of 12 senators, Melbourne had 10 out of 12, and Sydney had 9 out of 12.

Eight of Queensland’s 12 senators live in Brisbane.

“We have become not so much states as city states with a secondary hinterland,” Mr Joyce said.

“We need true competitive forces such as a state that does not believe in payroll tax. Additionally private land ownership should actually mean you own something without continual additional caveats for the community good, such as vegetation laws, being placed over you.”

He said in their “maddest dreams” the federation founders would not have believed the “progression to new states had stopped for eternity in 1901”.

“The opportunity to drive for these changes comes once in a lifetime or less. Now after 47 years, there is the chance for New England to caucus with other regions that have a similar desire for greater self-determination. I believe we should take it.”

http://www.nvi.com.au/story/2418705/new-state-of-new-england/?cs=376

I've always wondered as to what Barnaby Joyce had in store for his number one political donor and special guest at his election party. I think this idea eludes to it.
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13313 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 16 Jul 2014 :  14:29:10  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Haven't voted Lieberal or Hard Labor at any level since 2007.

Haven't voted Green either.

We need more people like Nick Xenophone and less Abbotts and Newmans
One can only take so many lies

Will be voting Labor at the next state election.
There needs to be either a balance or a change in QLD. Newmans government has taken us back to the Joh days.
The estimates talk fest is all the proof you need that the LNP have ridden rough shod over all democratic procedures and have totally disrespected the entire Westminster system.
Every thing they told us they'd be, they are exact opposite.
You can buy your way out of fines and illegal practices with donations to the LNP and have you completely above board once they're finished cooking the books. You know Karreman don't you Bundy?? How about Sibelco??
At least when Joh was in he had the state moving. These clowns have stopped it and doctor the figures to go with it.
They claim crime is down 10% and even the LNP puppet Police Commissioner states this figure but an article in the Brisbane Times stated it was only down in some crimes and others had risen.

Good bye Campbell Newman Good bye. One of Clives best quotes

ONLY LITTLE BOYZ WEAR BOWTIES
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 16 Jul 2014 :  18:19:33  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bigcol

The estimates talk fest is all the proof you need that the LNP have ridden rough shod over all democratic procedures and have totally disrespected the entire Westminster system.

The Westminster system was 'disrespected' all the way back to 1922 when the Labor party abolished the upper house. Anything that has happened since is a mere drop in the ocean compared to that act.

Oh and btw - no one that spoke so severely against Bligh including you and given the improvements in both health and crime and the restructuring of the state's finances (don't forget that Bligh accrued $60 billion dollars worth of debt when our terms of trade were at their best) - would ever vote for Labor again. I can understand you not voting for Newman...I mean you didn't vote for him in 2012 despite the deep flaws in this State and it is clear anyway with anything you say that you won't vote Liberal at any level (except if Turnbull was the federal leader) but it defies belief that you could vote Labor again - you should be independent if anything.

As for balance in the parliament, I bet you were crowing after the 2001 election when Beattie had a similar majority.

Pot kettle black always comes to mind when ever I reflect on your changes of position over the years.

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.

Edited by - bundy5 on 16 Jul 2014 18:20:10
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 16 Jul 2014 :  19:24:23  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bundy5

quote:

The Westminster system was 'disrespected' all the way back to 1922 when the Labor party abolished the upper house. Anything that has happened since is a mere drop in the ocean compared to that act.

Oh and btw - no one that spoke so severely against Bligh including you and given the improvements in both health and crime and the restructuring of the state's finances (don't forget that Bligh accrued $60 billion dollars worth of debt when our terms of trade were at their best) - would ever vote for Labor again. I can understand you not voting for Newman...I mean you didn't vote for him in 2012 despite the deep flaws in this State and it is clear anyway with anything you say that you won't vote Liberal at any level (except if Turnbull was the federal leader) but it defies belief that you could vote Labor again - you should be independent if anything.

As for balance in the parliament, I bet you were crowing after the 2001 election when Beattie had a similar majority.

Pot kettle black always comes to mind when ever I reflect on your changes of position over the years.

Just quitely, I'm reassured that people like Col are looking to the ALP again(state and more so Federally).......just goes to show.....the grass ain't always greener!

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 16 Jul 2014 :  19:32:32  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by REM

quote:

quote:

Just quitely, I'm reassured that people like Col are looking to the ALP again(state and more so Federally).......just goes to show.....the grass ain't always greener!

No when people like Zac are looking to the ALP again that is when you know the party has turned the corner.

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.
Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot

12526 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 16 Jul 2014 :  19:54:38  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We're all domed. Really? Zac?...hahahaa

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 16 Jul 2014 :  20:06:27  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm going to say that 20 years ago Zac held the same political views as REM - so it's possible

Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 16 Jul 2014 :  20:07:58  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by REM

quote:

quote:

No when people like Zac are looking to the ALP again that is when you know the party has turned the corner.

baha....But Zac is a pragmatic centerist.....cynical about change....he accepts the status-quo.....

Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 16 Jul 2014 :  20:11:40  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by REM

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by REM

quote:

quote:

baha....But Zac is a pragmatic centerist.....cynical about change....he accepts the status-quo.....

Zac is the kind of voter that the ALP need to sway.

Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 16 Jul 2014 :  20:14:25  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by REM

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by REM

quote:

quote:

Zac is the kind of person the LNP need running for office!

Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 16 Jul 2014 :  20:17:13  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by REM

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by REM

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by REM

quote:

quote:

Zac is the kind of person the LNP need running for office!

And who the ALP voters would put up with if he did!

Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 16 Jul 2014 :  20:21:21  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Zaccy-babe.....thoughts from youse?

This is a good read....makes a lot of sense!
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/07/biology-ideology-john-hibbing-negativity-bias

Edited by - REM on 16 Jul 2014 20:31:37
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9776 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 17 Jul 2014 :  07:22:28  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Firstly, pragmatist centrist I may be, but the "cynical about change" and "accepts the status quo" aren't me at all. Certainly, when it comes to current Australian politics, I'd love a massive change and I don't accept the current status quo. As for swaying either or any way: I can't see myself being swayed by any political party until there's a massive change in the status quo.

Mother Jones and 'Scientists Are Beginning to Figure Out Why Conservatives Are... Conservative': Interesting and thought-provoking. Starting with that headline... well, you could put the same article in a conservative journal and the headline would be: 'Scientists Are Beginning to Figure Out Why liberals Are... liberal (small 'l'). The story would be the same. Scientists are beginning to figure out why people, both conservative and liberal are different. I don't know about using eye-tracking devices to detect automatice response differences, but there could be something in it. I'm not a scientist. I agree with the conclusion that "liberals and conservatives disagree about politics in part because they are different people at the level of personality, psychology, and even traits like physiology and genetics". - but I had already thought about that a lot before I read the article.

Whether "the conservative ideology centres on a strong military, tough law enforcement, resistance to immigration, widespread availabilty of guns - would seem well tailored for an underlying, threat-oriented biology" depends on where you look. If I look at the USA, China, Switzerland, North Korea, Cuba, Denmark, Sweden, South Africa, Australia, etc., etc., I see mixtures of all of those in widely differing amounts and different biologies amongst the leaders and citizens of those countries and their regimes. Whether conservatives are more characterized by traits such as a need for certainty and an intolerance of ambiguity - and if so, more than liberals - I don't know, but I wasn't doing the research. The rest of the article expounds on more of the same. They may well be onto something.

The "physiology and genetics" factor is something I have thought about many times. I am part of a large family (does anyone here have more than six sisters?) and a more disparate collection of ideological and political stances would be hard to find. Once again, there could be something in it, but maybe I'm part of a blip in the research figures. It certainly got me thinking. Thanks for the link. Now, how can we get some real change in the status quo around here?

PS: The comments at the end of the article were well worth a read too.

Edited by - Zac on 17 Jul 2014 07:44:55
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13313 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 17 Jul 2014 :  09:21:33  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

Oh Bundy you're such an easy target. The upper house voted itself into history. It saves us money. It's only when governments like Newmans get power that it becomes a problem.
The best thing that could happen to Australia is if all states consigned themselves to history. The blame games would stop, the duplication would stop and we'd save the tax payer billions.

I haven't voted Labor at a state level since 2001. In fact I voted for your side in the 2004 state election

Improvements in Crime. On the radio on the Goldy the other day they said there was an increase in break and enters and opportunity crimes.
Depends on who's spin you listen to. Try reading these for starters
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/the-end-justifies-the-means-why-queensland-is-losing-the-bikie-war-20140120-313dc.html

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/crime-statistics-tell-varying-stories-on-antigang-laws-20140611-zs4fa.html

The bottom link tells the real story on the Newman governments spin doctoring of the real facts.

Health. You have to be joking. A Wynnum heart attack victim spent 90 minutes in the back of an ambulance going to Ipswich because the PA, Mater, Logan and Royal Brisbane didn't have a spare emergency bed.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/qld/a/24413415/calls-for-probe-into-lack-of-hospital-beds-in-queensland/

So tell me this. What would have happened if it was a multi vehicle crash with multiple serious injuries.

Then we have this
http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/cairns/outpatients-say-clearing-cairns-hospitals-surgical-wait-list-is-a-milestone-not-worth-celebrating/story-fnjpusyw-1226977275672

Then the real figures show up
http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/cairns/outpatient-crisis-leaves-more-than-18000-without-care-at-cairns-and-hinterland-hospital-and-health-service/story-fnjpusyw-1226985105623

On the states finances. Come on you're not that gullible to believe the figures thrown around by the LNP
First it was 115 billion, then it was 85 now you're saying it was 60. Funny that not one economist that has publicly commented on the states finances has agreed with Costellos report or what the Shamble Newman government is claiming today.
In fact if these geniuses are so bright can you please explain why they have added around 15 billion to the debt when they have slashed and burnt everything in sight.
Now before you call out the usual Lieberal rubbish about waste.
The money bought us infrastructure. Something that the LNP haven't but have still put us further in debt.
Don't start on the water grid because McArdle was singing it's praises a while ago because they were pumping water to a dry township through it and don't start on the Desal plant either because you've been put in your place with that before as well. With that so called waste they also built new hospitals, new dams and recycled water treatment plant. Something you science non-believers also call waste. Just wait. One day you will be drinking water from that and the desal plant when we get another huge drought.
People just don't understand how close we came to running out of potable water.
All the bus ways were also built by Labor.
They also built bridges across the river to improve peoples access and traffic flow
About 40 billion of the debt is carried by once public owned industries that have been sold off to the QIDC, yet it is still classed as public debt. Add the 3 years of Natural disasters and the 25 billion is halved again.
Yet the LNP have added around 15 billion and not one major piece of infrastructure has been built under their watch
Here's another one for you. The LNP claims the trains now run on time, They forget to tell you that they now take longer from Ipswich than in 1980. They now wait at the stations longer to make the timetable. More fudging of the figures

There's a reason why I didn't vote for Can Do nothing.
Under his leadership, while the Lord Mayor of the Brisbane City council he amassed billions of dollars of debt.
In Quirks last budget the third biggest ticket item of spending was servicing Shamble Newmans Debt. 115 million dollars a year in interest alone.
So Bundy your side is no better than the other when it comes to debt but when it comes to the rights of the people, due process, accountability, openness and governing for all Qlders the LNP don't have a clue.

Better move out that Glass house Bundy because you defend everything Coalition/LNP and then whinge about it if Labor do it or have done it

ONLY LITTLE BOYZ WEAR BOWTIES

Edited by - bigcol on 17 Jul 2014 09:39:53
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.62 seconds.