V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 07 Aug 2014 :  13:04:20  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
hahahahaha, there are come classics in there REM, this is the Government we needed to have, they are a ****en joke

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 07 Aug 2014 :  14:36:37  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If it is a Govt "run by the grown ups"...then it is patently clear....they have escaped from an institution somewhere!

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Edited by - REM on 07 Aug 2014 14:50:20
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 07 Aug 2014 :  15:13:59  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by REM

quote:
Originally posted by bundy5

quote:
Originally posted by REM

quote:

Listening to all you Labor tragics in this thread bemoan the government it is obvious to me that we haven't reached the bottom of the barrel yet for you to realise that this country needs to go under a major restructure similar to what we saw when Howard took over from Keating - introduction of new workplace laws, gst, closer alliance with neighbouring trading partners etc

quote:
Originally posted by CP

quote:

A shame that the Labor party right won the war on maintaining section 18D of the Racial Discrimination Act through their usual tactics of scaremongering. The Labor party left would recognise that it is just another dilution of free speech similar to other Labor party right ideas such as regulation of the national press club and internet filtering.

Meh, it's a non event anyway as it was only designed so their number one mouthpiece could say what he wanted.

It was about more than that.

It was about protecting the fundamental right for speech to be free from government intervention and control.

The government shouldn't be able to prosecute you, albeit for civil penalties only, against a law whose interpretation is so open to conjecture.

If someone says something racist, it shouldn't be up to the government to punish you; it should instead be up to community standards to declare those words unacceptable and if a person or group believes that their reputation or standing is damaged from those words they should be able to sue under defamation laws.

careful ol mate.....Tony's gunna keep this(and everythuing else on the net and e-mail) for 2 years now.....in case he and his Govt. mates need to prosecute you for something....you say Can you even think of a bigger example of social control/invasion of privacy and freedom of speech in the history of our country? Big brutha Ton is watching you.......scary, very scary stuff....

I'm not so much worried about the liberal party tracking my movements more the labor party if they get back in government

Pretty sure the ALP will repeal this when they get back in.....meanwhile...the Libs will give to any govt agency and probably any private body who wants it and will pay for it.....think of the marketing opportunties....yet another very good reason for a Federal level ICAC I reckon....

So a government that was the architect behind internet filtering will drop this change?

Also I was listening to Bandt on the radio on my drive home from work and he didn't really present a compelling argument as to why data collection and retention of this type didn't contribute significantly to the detection of the terrorism plots of some guy. Bandt was going on about why the police can't just get a warrant to do this sort of surveillance work once they get notice that a person is suspect but the problem is that this may be too late!

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9776 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 07 Aug 2014 :  15:20:49  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bigcol

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/terror-touches-down-20140806-3d8wj.html

This government is clueless

That Fairfax link certainly shows up Government cluelessness, and a quick read of it shows where the cluelessness started:

* A 2009 report stated that "the student visa program is failing", "the general skilled migration program is failing" and the falsifying of qualifications was "prolific".

* A 2010 report states that "evidence uncovered to date indicates that fraud within the General Skilled Migration Program is extensive, with estimates at around 90% (or more than 40,000 visa applications lodged per year for the last three years)."

* A 2010 report revealed that investigators had uncovered a Somali people-smuggling cell with links to terrorist suspect Hussein Hashi Farah, believed to have links to an Al Qaeda offshoot - but a 2009 investigation into the cell's activities was "deemed low priority and ceased due to a lack of resources."

* A 2012 inquiry into Afghan visa applications assessed that more than 90% of cases involved "fraud of some type", and raised "people smuggling, identity fraud, suspected child trafficking and national security implications".

* A February 2013 investigation warned department chiefs in a confidential report that the agency's investigation arm had collapsed, "risking the integrity of its programs, and ultimately, national security."

There's more examples in that link, but I got the picture. All of them were in the period 2009 - 2013. That is, a couple of years after Kevin and Co formed government and prior to Tony and Co forming government in late 2013. We probably won't get to see if Tony and Co can do worse in six years than Kevin and Co managed to do, but with hard-nose Scott Morrison heading Immigration, I'd say that given another year or two, a lot of that slack will be straightened out.

Edited by - Zac on 07 Aug 2014 15:39:56
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17525 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 07 Aug 2014 :  15:42:30  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

quote:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/terror-touches-down-20140806-3d8wj.html

That Fairfax link certainly shows up Government cluelessness, and a quick read of it shows where the cluelessness started:

* A 2009 report stated that "the student visa program is failing", "the general skilled migration program is failing" and the falsifying of qualifications was "prolific".

* A 2010 report states that "evidence uncovered to date indicates that fraud within the General Skilled Migration Program is extensive, with estimates at around 90% (or more than 40,000 visa applications lodged per year for the last three years)."

* A 2010 report revealed that investigators had uncovered a Somali people-smuggling cell with links to terrorist suspect Hussein Hashi Farah, believed to have links to an Al Qaeda offshoot - but a 2009 investigation into the cell's activities was "deemed low priority and ceased due to a lack of resources."

* A 2012 inquiry into Afghan visa applications assessed that more than 90% of cases involved "fraud of some type", and raised "people smuggling, identity fraud, suspected child trafficking and national security implications".

* A February 2013 investigation warned department chiefs in a confidential report that the agency's investigation arm had collapsed, "risking the integrity of its programs, and ultimately, national security."

There's more examples in that link, but I got the picture. All of them were in the period 2009 - 2013. That is, a couple of years after Kevin and Co formed government and prior to Tony and Co forming government in late 2013. We probably won't get to see if Tony and Co can do worse in six years than Kevin and Co managed to do, but with hard-nose Scott Morrison heading Immigration, I'd say that given another year or two, a lot of that slack will be straightened out.

don't let the truth get in the way of a good story uncle !!

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 07 Aug 2014 :  15:57:41  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

quote:

and of course all this just happened to coincide with 'Kevin and Co' being in Government, nothing before and nothing after - YEAH RIGHT!!!!!! Convenient editing me thinks (not necessarily by you Zac)

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 07 Aug 2014 :  16:07:19  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-07/unemployment-data-abs-july/5654926

Unemployment hits 6.4%!!!

12 year high! God I wish the ALP was back, those *horrible* days of high employment and prosperity. Good thing Abbott liberated us from all those jobs.

Abbott needs to go before the country goes! When is the recession coming?

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9776 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 07 Aug 2014 :  16:13:35  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You're right, Trev. It wasn't by me. I directly quoted the Fairfax article - which strange as it may seem, was trying to show up the current government. This current government with its many failings is certainly more hard-nosed and pro-active with Immigration than "your lot" (if I may use that term ). That may be good, bad or otherwise, depending on your attitude to immigration, but that article kind-of proved the opposite to what it intended.

27GV: You either don't know or don't remember the economic forecasts from the past few years. Both Labor and the Coalition prior to the last election forecast/knew that unemployment would rise in 2014. I won't bore you with the reasons for the rise, but maybe a link to the Reserve Bank 2013 forecast might help you: http://www.treasury.gov.au/PublicationsAndMedia/Publications/2013/PEFO-2013/Report/Economic-Outlook

Edited by - Zac on 07 Aug 2014 16:34:41
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17525 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 07 Aug 2014 :  17:00:32  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by 27GV

12 year high! God I wish the ALP was back, those *horrible* days of high employment and prosperity. Good thing Abbott liberated us from all those jobs.

what ???????? cant be !!!! according the ALP folks in here the economy is just fine...its all a beat up

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22221 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 07 Aug 2014 :  17:02:58  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Have you actually read the article and others or is this just another attempt as sensationalism?
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 07 Aug 2014 :  19:02:27  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne

quote:

what ???????? cant be !!!! according the ALP folks in here the economy is just fine...its all a beat up

Not quite a Labor folk...who agrees.... http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/latest/economy-in-good-shape-hockey/story-e6frg90f-1227003627302?nk=f0f99794a9285c61e00d6998afa14038 .....I believe the term is "flip-flop....

but it seems the failed budget has really hit people's confidence.... There is clear trending evidence that Australians feels less well off now...than 12 months ago..http://www.theguardian.com/business/grogonomics/2014/aug/07/australians-financial-worries-rocket-coalition-failing-sell-budget?CMP=soc_567

Edited by - REM on 07 Aug 2014 20:22:15
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 07 Aug 2014 :  20:38:08  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by REM

quote:

quote:

Not quite a Labor folk...who agrees.... http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/latest/economy-in-good-shape-hockey/story-e6frg90f-1227003627302?nk=f0f99794a9285c61e00d6998afa14038 .....I believe the term is "flip-flop....

but it seems the failed budget has really hit people's confidence.... There is clear trending evidence that Australians feels less well off now...than 12 months ago..http://www.theguardian.com/business/grogonomics/2014/aug/07/australians-financial-worries-rocket-coalition-failing-sell-budget?CMP=soc_567

If only these forums had been around in 96

quote:

So it was that despite the population growth from 2007 to 2013, that the net effect of their time in office was that unemployment grew by 200,000!

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.

Edited by - bundy5 on 07 Aug 2014 20:40:44
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 07 Aug 2014 :  20:40:29  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
HELL.......NOW I'M GETTING EXCITED!!!!
http://www.afr.com/p/national/icac_probe_inches_closer_to_abbott_tlnRTpGLPgO4FzI08Ha5BO

Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13313 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 07 Aug 2014 :  21:13:34  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

quote:

Zac , Rudd/Gillard/Rudd weren't the ones running around with their 3 word slogans. Abbott raved on and on about illegals and I have posted on here more than once about the ones flying into this country.

Abbott hasn't stopped them illegally entering this country.
In fact the article stated it's likely to get worse because of his governments policy

ONLY LITTLE BOYZ WEAR BOWTIES
Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 08 Aug 2014 :  00:36:16  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

It was fine before the 12 months Abbott has run it! We are at least 1% higher unemployment than how Rudd left it.

Seems stopping the boats wasn't enough for Tony. Now he's stopping the jobs!

@LG, reporting the figures (6.4%) is a beat up now? Libs supporters have a very thin skin. Abbott's failed budget has trashed the economy and every day we get more figures to prove how much Tony has hurt regular Aussies.

_Mford

Edited by - 27GV on 08 Aug 2014 00:42:20
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.75 seconds.