V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13313 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 01 Feb 2015 :  22:22:44  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
where the **** is Bundy.
I told him within a month of Newman becoming Premier he'd be a one term wonder.
I was right. One down, one to go. Mind you get rid of Abbott and some of the clowns out of Liberal/National front bench and I may even change my tune

Wrong Team
Wrong Plan
Wrong for QLD

The only thing strong about the LNP is the stench associated with those arrogant fools

ONLY LITTLE BOYZ WEAR BOWTIES
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  05:19:33  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne

like we did under Julia rudd ?????

seriously some of you guys need help....either stupid or blind to see the side they are cheering for are just as bad as the side they are bagging

I refuse to believe you lot are as stupid as you act

there is one great lesson in Government, if you want to stay in power you never ever muck around with health and education, Kennett in Victoria learnt the lesson, these Governments are learning the same lesson, 'health and education' are the core stuff the average punter care about

And what is Abbott doing, he is mucking with health and education via the Medicare levy and the Uni fees, he will be GOOOOONNNNEEE if not this week within the month

I reserve the right to arm bears

Edited by - Trev on 02 Feb 2015 07:53:41
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11158 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  06:49:34  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Is Abbott the perfect example of someone wanting to be Prime Minister, just so they can be Prime Minister?
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22221 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  08:44:22  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bigem

The best thing that can happen for the federal Labor opposition is for Abbott to stay put.

It appears Tony's party wants him to resign so that there is no ugly leadership ballot.

Abbotts ego is too big for that, he is after-all, an excellent captain, he told us that last week! ha ha

As much as I would like Abbott to get the arse, the longer he hangs around, the more of his cronuies that will bite the dust!

There was a multitude of Federal issues that reared their ugly heads in Queensland prior to the election, they had an influence, and anybody who thinks they didn't is delusional!!

Victoria and Queensland already, probably NSW and definitely the Federal government will fall in their respective elections unless the LNP start being straight with voters and lose their arrogant demeaner!!

Its still unbelievable to think a 70+ seat majority can be deconstructed in such brutal fashion, its unheard of and as funny as all ****!!

Hey M I'm not delusional!
Newman didn't need any input from Fed problems - he ****ed it up all by himself!
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9776 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  09:11:25  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

There was a multitude of Federal issues that reared their ugly heads in Queensland prior to the election, they had an influence, and anybody who thinks they didn't is delusional!!
I have little knowledge of Queensland politics, but I don't think that Federal issues had much of an influence at all. Various commentators would have us think so, but from what I have seen and heard, the LNP lost the election because it - and especially the leader, were both so on the nose with the electorate, that the voters turned against them in a huge way. BTW, those expert commentators were all predicting that Newman would lose his seat, but that the LNP would win with a reduced majority (a loss of up to 25 seats seems to be the average guess). Of course they're all very knowledgeable about it now. BTW, do you know anyone who would have voted LNP, but changed their vote in the state election because Tony Abbott and the Federal Government were so on the nose? I bet the anti-LNP votes, and the anti-Campbell Newman votes outnumbered the anti-Federal Government vote by a few thousand percent.

quote:
Its still unbelievable to think a 70+ seat majority can be deconstructed in such brutal fashion, its unheard of and as funny as all ****!!
It's about as unbelievable, unheard of, and as funny as all hell, as the previous election, when the government was decimated in the biggest defeat in Queensland history, ending up with 7 seats in an 89 seat house. Campbell Newman had to be asked to allow the Labor Party to be still recognised as a 'major party' so it could become the Opposition.

The Queensland election was another example of the Government being voted out, rather than the Opposition being voted in (although Labor aren't totally "in" yet), but these massive swings in Australian elections are becoming more common. It used to be (rough rule of thumb), that about 40% of voters always voted Conservative, another 40% always voted Labor, and the remaining 20% were spread over swinging voters and those voting for minor parties. It now seems that those two 40% groups are down to around 30% each, with a volatile 40% swinging all over the place. I don't know exactly why, but IMHO, the huge increase in communications, with the majority of the population having smart phones, tablets, ipads etc. with internet access, plus all the electronic media that comes with it: facebook, twitter, and all the websites with so many differing views are a big part of it.

Re the new Premier-elect: I only know the little I've seen in the media here in NSW, but apart from her interesting name (I heard yesterday that it was her idea to change the pronunciation of her name so that 'Szczuk' is now pronounced 'Shay'), she doesn't seem to have offered anything much, apart from saying she would not sell State assets. Still after the abrasive and arrogant Campbell Newman, she is what Queensland voters have said they prefer.

Edited by - Zac on 02 Feb 2015 09:36:11
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  12:52:22  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I just listened to Abbott at the Press Club, how to spend an hour speaking without actually saying anything, how to answer 10 or so questions without actually saying anything, this bloke needs to go, he is an embarassment.

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9776 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  13:27:50  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I started to listen, but didn't last. Certainly sounded like dead man walking from what I heard. When I listen to Tony Abbott speaking, whether it is a set speech, a media interview, or anything else, he sounds like he is thinking very slowly as he talks. In an interview, it's "Well... Leigh/Chris/Alan/Ray... that's a very good question... aaahh...". Irrespective of your politics, compare that to the response you get from Malcolm Turnbull, Scott Morrison, Julie Bishop, etc. Always on top of their topic, quick with the facts and answers, rarely stumbling or umming and aahing. We shouldn't get rid of a PM because of the laborious way he speaks, but add that to his other failings, and it's hard to see him lasting until the next election. OTOH, although Turnbull has broad appeal across swinging voters, he doesn't have that within his own party, and he would be the obvious choice (despite his poor polling numbers when he was leader previously). He's also doing the usual "The PM has my full support" bit which puts him in a bit of a corner. Maybe someone else will start the ball rolling - possibly even Mal Brough , and that will bring it on, and we'll have the usual scenario we've seen in recent years of the government putting its energy into leadership issues instead of actually running the place.

Edited by - Zac on 02 Feb 2015 13:29:16
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11158 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  15:12:44  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Tried to watch it. It was, um, yeah, err, ahh, an hour of how great I am because I axed the Carbon Tax and everyone is (supposedly) $550 better off each year.
Go to Top of Page

bigem
A polar bear

Australia
15994 Posts
joined 22 Jun 04

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  16:30:50  Show Profile Send bigem a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Health and Education, both area's that have been decimated by Abbotts lot had a bearing on the Queensland election.

I too was saying Anastasia Who, she was almost unknown in Queensland, but she may now be the Premiere!

Newman has gone, and that would have been enough for most people, but to get rid of him, there was always going to be colateral damage. I thought 12-15 seats, not 35!!

New Commodore Hey! So you used your own money? Would you like to buy a used bridge?
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 03 Feb 2015 :  04:32:26  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
how ****en funny was Jackie Lambie on Q&A last night - **** she had some great one liners

Poor old Barnaby Joyce copped a bit of a flogging, I actually don't mind him too much but he was struggling to defend the Government and Abbott

Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11158 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 03 Feb 2015 :  10:45:40  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The Member for New England might need someone to take him in as he is at risk of homelessness.

Tony Abbott's "knightmare" start to 2015 could eventually cost him the prime ministership but his political failure would come at a quantifiable price for Barnaby Joyce: $700,000.

The Agriculture Minister has boldly "bet his house" on Mr Abbott leading the government into the next election during an interview with the ABC.

According to title deeds and transfer documents, that means he is willing to stake $700,000 on the durability of Mr Abbott's leadership.

Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce has said he'll put his house on Prime Minister Tony Abbott leading the Coalition to the next election.
Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce has said he'll put his house on Prime Minister Tony Abbott leading the Coalition to the next election. Photo: Andrew Meares
Documents show that Mr Joyce and his wife Natalie paid $700,000 in January last year for their family home on an acreage block south east of Tamworth.

Advertisement
Aerial maps contained on a NSW government database show Mr Joyce would be putting an in-ground pool, along with the family home, on the line if he was to bet his house on Mr Abbott.

He told ABC: "I will put my money on it I will put my house on it that at the next election, there will be so many other things to talk about rather than something that happened at the Australia Day Awards a year ago."

But pushed on whether he would put his house on Mr Abbott leading the Coalition at the next election, he said: "Yes".

According to odds issued this week by online bookie Sportsbet, Mr Joyce could get $2.00 on Mr Abbott not facing a leadership challenge before the 2016 election. That would double his $700,000 stake to $1.4 million.

Before he made Prince Philip a knight, Mr Abbott was paying $1.65 not to face a spill. That price has drifted significantly from $1.20 in December, representing the growing uncertainty about his longevity in the top job.

The odds on Julie Bishop ($2.10) and Malcolm Turnbull ($3) to become the next leader of Liberal Party have narrowed since Mr Abbott's widely-ridiculed "captain's pick" on an Australia Day honour for the ageing British royal.

Mr Joyce's confidence has surprised some in Coalition ranks who are actively weighing up contingency plans if Mr Abbott cannot lift the government out of the doldrums in the polls.

When asked about his future, Mr Abbott on Friday said he would "absolutely" lead the the Coalition to the next election.

National Party members like Mr Joyce do not get a say in the Liberal leadership and are therefore not generally privy to factional manoeuvrings inside the party.

If Mr Joyce lost his Tamworth home, the family could move four hours west to a remote block they own in the Pilliga scrub.

In 2013, Fairfax Media revealed the Joyces had paid $230,000 in 2006 for a block in Gwabegar before paying a further $342,000 in 2008 for an adjoining block to make a 2400 acre property.

Mr Joyce has referred to it as his sheep and cattle station and in 2013 denied local rumour that he had bought it to cash in on the coal seam gas boom that was being predicted for the Pilliga ten years ago.

"My motivation was plain and simple - it was what I could afford. I came from the land and I want to go back to the land after politics," Mr Joyce said.

The federal register of members' interests shows that the Joyces also own a commercial property in St George Queensland, their former home town, which is rented.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/barnaby-joyces-700000-punt-on-tony-abbotts-longevity-as-prime-minister-20150130-13236x.html
Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 03 Feb 2015 :  13:04:08  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CP

Tried to watch it. It was, um, yeah, err, ahh, an hour of how great I am because I axed the Carbon Tax and everyone is (supposedly) $550 better off each year.

$5.50 unless you're Gina Rinehart.

I wonder if Joyce will lose more by Abbott being rolled or by losing his seat come election time? There's probably a queue of independents ready to challenge.

If Baird sees big swings against I'll tell you it has nothing to do with local issues because the Libs here haven't done too much wrong except the electricity sell off.

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11158 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 03 Feb 2015 :  14:09:00  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by 27GV

If Baird sees big swings against I'll tell you it has nothing to do with local issues because the Libs here haven't done too much wrong except the electricity sell off.

I know that one seat (mine) will have a big swing due to a massive local issue.
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 03 Feb 2015 :  18:59:11  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This just nails it.......http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/feb/03/the-rightwing-reaction-to-queensland-shows-they-want-to-rule-not-govern?CMP=soc_567

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9776 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 03 Feb 2015 :  19:28:08  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
For me, it just nails that The Guardian is off with the pixies. The next article about the Greek finance minister is even more out of touch with reality. "I'm the Greek finance minister. I'm a cool dude with a No1 Haircut, and a purple shirt that I don't tuck in. You guys were idiots for lending us all those billions that we spent, living beyond our means, so write it off. We certainly have no intention of ever repaying." The Guardian journo leads the cheer squad.

Edited by - Zac on 03 Feb 2015 19:30:40
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 19.05 seconds.