V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  17:02:29  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CP

In simple terms, can someone explain what the **** left and right means in terms of politics.

In a nutshell...basically boils down to the role of Govt versus the market, Right wing= the market is always right and the only true moderator of living standards....so (Govts must) leave the market alone and the benefits will trickle down for all....Left wing= Govt needs to be active in moderating living standards as market distorts the outcomes in favour of the rich and the powerful...

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  17:55:49  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by REM

quote:
Originally posted by CP

In simple terms, can someone explain what the **** left and right means in terms of politics.

In a nutshell...basically boils down to the role of Govt versus the market, Right wing= the market is always right and the only true moderator of living standards....so (Govts must) leave the market alone and the benefits will trickle down for all....Left wing= Govt needs to be active in moderating living standards as market distorts the outcomes in favour of the rich and the powerful...

+ 1. Good summary.

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  04:09:19  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
from Q&A last night, "use 1 word to describe Tony Abbott"

My response - STUPID - he has been giving the greatest gift from the Australian public and he has blown it

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9776 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  06:43:04  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trev

from Q&A last night, "use 1 word to describe Tony Abbott"
The one that got the most laughs (from a typically appreciative Q&A audience) was the one from Miriam Whatshername: "I think he's a tit." Oh, how they laughed. It would have been even funnier if it was the other way around. If Tony Abbott was asked to use one word to describe her. "I think she's a tit." They would have loved that. Those ultra-sensitive feminist types like Tania Plibersek would have been really going off. Laughing their tits off, probably.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  08:00:59  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
we thought she said 'tick' not 'tit', when we realised that she actually said 'tit' we both agreed that 'tick' is more appropriate, I will let you come to your own conclusions as to why we thought that

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9776 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  08:11:48  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No, no idea. Tick if approval? Anyway, the funniest answer was actually the Labor MP who went into a long ramble, until after about 500 words, Tony Jones got him to put a sock in it.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  09:15:22  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No, along the lines of a tick on a buffalo's arse - , and we all know what a awful pest ticks can be

We missed the start, I think his name is Andrew Leigh. I thought he was a real tosser quite honestly:
quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Leigh
Andrew Keith Leigh is an Australian politician and former professor of economics at the Australian National University. He has been a Labor member of the Australian House of Representatives since 2010, representing the seat of Fraser.

---------------------------------------------------------

Edited by - Trev on 03 Mar 2015 09:22:13
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11158 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 05 Mar 2015 :  07:42:35  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
While Tony might not be a good leader, he is good for some brilliantly stupid quotes though, and there are some brilliant examples of that in this article.

The Liberal National Party will host a celebration of International Women's Day at an exclusive Brisbane club that only allows men to be members.

The lunch will be held at the Tattersall's Club from 11.45am on Friday, two days before International Women's Day on March 8.

An LNP spokesman said the lunch had been organised by party organisation LNP Women.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott's response to questions about the event at Tattersal's Club during Question Time at Parliament House.
Prime Minister Tony Abbott's response to questions about the event at Tattersal's Club during Question Time at Parliament House. Photo: Alex Ellinghausen
"Nearly half of the LNP's 14,000 members are women and this event aims to discuss and promote the involvement of more women in politics at all levels," he said.

Advertisement

"The venue was chosen simply on the basis of availability, price and flexibility in a CBD location.

"LNP Women appreciate the efforts of Tattersall's Club in accommodating their function at short notice."

Fiona Simpson will be keynote speaker at the event.
Fiona Simpson will be keynote speaker at the event. Photo: Harrison Saragossi
Parliamentary Speaker Fiona Simpson, who will remain in that role until Parliament confirms independent MP Peter Wellington's appointment when it next sits, has been advertised as the keynote speaker.

Tattersall's proudly boasts on its website it is "more than just a club for male members to enjoy", as it also allows their partners and families to accompany them in the plush CBD space.

Ms Simpson appeared unperturbed by the symbolism.

"I'm less troubled by openly 'male only' clubs or openly 'women only' gyms than I am by areas of society that have a veneer of equality but which hide structural impediments or unconscious bias that block women from opportunities," she said.

Other speakers included Nationals federal president Christine Ferguson and Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss's wife, Lynn Truss.

The issue spread to Canberra on Wednesday afternoon, when Opposition Leader Bill Shorten asked Prime Minister Tony Abbott to respond to the controversy.

Mr Abbott, also the federal Minister for Women, trumpeted the event as a triumph for feminism.

"This is just how wonderful this broad church that I lead is obviously they've just broken down the last barrier and they've made the men-only club admit women," he said in a spirited response during question time.

"Admit women! Isn't that fantastic? At last, this bastion of chauvinism has admitted women and they've done it on International Women's Day because of the Liberal National Party.

"Good on the Liberal National Party, smashing the glass ceiling yet again. I say congratulations and thank God that bastion of old-fashioned chauvinism has finally collapsed like the walls of Jericho at the trumpet cry of the Liberal National Party."

Mr Abbott may have overstated the significance of the lunch, as its speakers remained ineligible for Tatts membership.

Queensland Minister for Women Shannon Fentiman appeared surprised at the move.

"Seriously? You can't make this stuff up," she said.

"It shows how out-of-touch the LNP are and their excuse of organising the event at short notice just doesn't stack up, because International Women's Day is held on the eighth of March every year.

"They would have had plenty of warning it was coming."

http://www.theage.com.au/queensland/lnp-hosts-international-womens-day-lunch-at-menonly-club-20150304-13ux5s.html
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 05 Mar 2015 :  08:24:03  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

Go to Top of Page

STP01
Team Manager

1521 Posts
joined 15 Mar 07

Posted - 05 Mar 2015 :  12:01:43  Show Profile Send STP01 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bigem

And to top it off, all of us who are already paying through the nose for Health insurance (against being black-mailed into paying increased income tax) are about to have our 30% rebate slashed!

Labor slashed the rebate for a lot of us years ago when they introduced means testing. This was expected to raise premiums as those on decent incomes and with low health risks cancelled their policies. Looks like that's coming true.

Then Labor also tied any rebate increases to inflation, not to the actual premium increases. This is why the rebate is effectively dropping down to about 27%. So if you're concerned about the rebate percentage dropping, maybe you raise your concerns with Julia or Wayne....

Congratulations Jamie Whincup on 7 Championships!
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 05 Mar 2015 :  12:17:03  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The Government of the day HAS TO APPROVE any increase, Abbott et el have approved the highest increases in years in the last 2 years, good try!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9776 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 05 Mar 2015 :  13:15:51  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Could that be linked in any way to the greatest increases in government debt in the past two years - sorry... ever?

EDIT (to answer Trev's reply): Maybe because the health funds need to run profitably, otherwise the government needs more money (our money) to provide the level of care we have come to expect, unsustainable though it may be.

Edited by - Zac on 05 Mar 2015 13:33:53
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 05 Mar 2015 :  13:17:48  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
How can it be Zac, come on, the Health Insurance companies get the money, not the Government

Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 05 Mar 2015 :  16:08:59  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trev

How can it be Zac, come on, the Health Insurance companies get the money, not the Government

Well I don't want to overstep the mark but I reckon they allowed the increases for Zac's reason that they didn't want have to fill the funding gap themselves but also that for any increase they would see a larger dividend from Medibank Private (partly government owned)

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 05 Mar 2015 :  17:02:55  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
All the increase did was the decrease the amount of membership and stop any newbies from joining, thus putting more pressure on Medicare, this Government has serious backward thinking issues

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 21.44 seconds.