V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 09 Apr 2015 :  15:34:17  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
and you have missed my point as well, so **** off

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11158 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 09 Apr 2015 :  15:35:22  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
An MP from northern New South Wales is reigniting the call for the daylight saving period to be shortened.

Northern Tablelands MP Adam Marshall said reducing the time period from six months to four months is a common sense move that would benefit those on the land and in communities on the border with Queensland.

He's suggesting a month be removed from the beginning and end of the current daylight saving time period.

Mr Marshall said it's an issue people have strong views on.

"It is an inconvenience for people doing business, people on the land, and people in those border communities, and I understand their frustrations," he said.

"It's easy for people to dismiss it as trivial, but for people that actually live through these things it is something that is certainly an inconvenience and I think we should look seriously at trying to alleviate those issues."

Former Cross-Border Commissioner Steve Toms is understood to have presented the State Government with an extensive report on daylight saving but it's never been publically released.

"That report was completed last year, it hasn't seen the light of day, but I understand that he recommended reducing daylight saving back to its original four months," Mr Marshall said.

"It was based on a lot of scientific evidence and also community views as well."

Mr Marshall said he's not sure the entire state would agree to the change, but it's worth taking a look at.

"There may not be enough support in the Parliament to actually enact these changes that I'm proposing, but I think it's something worth investigating and pushing hard for, given we are just about to start a brand new Parliamentary Term," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-07/mp-calls-for-daylight-saving-period-to-be-reduced-by-two-months/6374110
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 09 Apr 2015 :  15:36:58  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
we have the 6 month thing to fit in with the F1, maybe when NSW wins the F1 this bloke might change his tune

Personally, I think it runs too long

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 09 Apr 2015 :  16:39:20  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trev

So two of us have missed your point. Could it be that you're not making your point clear? I'm trying to work it out. Is it that you saw something somewhere where some industry and finance leaders (but not all the ones I linked) said something about sensible (Government) management means keeping the country afloat? (Let's leave out the bit about "being bigger than a deficit", to help make this point more clear) They were your words, because I can't find any industry or finance leaders saying that. Anyway, if that's it, I'd say not letting the country to continue sinking deeper into debt would help as much as anything to keep the country afloat. So it's possible that I didn't miss your point at all - but from what you've said since, it's hard to know. Let's battle on, eh? Something about keeping the country afloat - but not about debt and deficit... Is it about ****en idiots?
Go to Top of Page

karter
Team Manager

11736 Posts
joined 21 Sep 04

Posted - 09 Apr 2015 :  17:53:42  Show Profile Send karter a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Still nothing worthwhile to say then. Maybe take your own advice.
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 09 Apr 2015 :  18:30:45  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Now boys. There's nothing less edifying or less intelligent on the internet than people on forums or message boards telling each other to **** off. It's only a political chat so let's keep it at that.
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22226 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 09 Apr 2015 :  18:36:50  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yep it's "Chill Bill" not "Kill Bill."
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17526 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 09 Apr 2015 :  20:51:21  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

Now boys. There's nothing less edifying or less intelligent on the internet than people on forums or message boards telling each other to **** off. It's only a political chat so let's keep it at that.

**** off zac

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 09 Apr 2015 :  21:34:26  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thankyou, Mick for helping me out. Even Trev will see my point now. All I need to do now is see his.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 10 Apr 2015 :  05:46:46  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am sorry if I confused you with my point about the budget, I actually thought people reading this could read more than one point per sentence, obviously not, so there is a lesson for me to separate the points by a considerable space in time to allow for some to digest it

Now back to my original point:

there are industry leaders telling the bumbling Government that regardless of deficit's etc they need to stimulate the economy to provide growth, we are going backwards under this bumbling Governments current policies of restraint, unemployment is getting bigger, they need to do something soon or we will be in deep ****, we need growth and this mob are stifling growth

Edited by - Trev on 10 Apr 2015 08:09:08
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 10 Apr 2015 :  06:20:00  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

there are industry leaders telling the bumbling Government that regardless of deficit's etc they need to stimulate the economy to provide growth, we are going backwards under this bumbling Governments current policies of restraint, employment is getting bigger, they need to do something soon or we will be in deep ****, we need growth and this mob are stifling growth
Sorry, Trev. I get it now. It was kind of hidden in the middle of the world's biggest sentence. employment is getting bigger I missed it the first few times. Now, which industry leaders - and what stimulation are they suggesting?

Edited by - Zac on 10 Apr 2015 06:25:29
Go to Top of Page

karter
Team Manager

11736 Posts
joined 21 Sep 04

Posted - 10 Apr 2015 :  06:35:15  Show Profile Send karter a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

I am sorry if I confused you with my point about the budget, I actually thought people reading this could read more than one point per sentence, obviously not, so there is a lesson for me to separate the points by a considerable space in time to allow for some to digest it

there are industry leaders telling the bumbling Government that regardless of deficit's etc they need to stimulate the economy to provide growth, we are going backwards under this bumbling Governments current policies of restraint, employment is getting bigger, they need to do something soon or we will be in deep ****, we need growth and this mob are stifling growth

OK so who are these "industry leaders" you keep referring to? Any links to articles? Zac posted links to things that were actually said. Not just stuff imagined by you.

It may surprise you, but not everyone is willing to take everything you say as gospel.

BTW, if "employment is getting bigger" isn't that a good thing?

Hope you can handle more than one question in a post....
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 10 Apr 2015 :  07:42:14  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Here's a link from yesterday: http://www.smh.com.au/business/economists-back-interest-rates-as-potent-tool-for-stimulating-economy-20150409-1mh5x1.html

They aren't "industry leaders", they're economists, so they're not the people Trev keeps referring to, but interesting opinions all the same. It's interesting that we have four economists with one opinion - on interest rates, anyway. Normally, with four economists you would have at least five opinions.

So, they recommend reducing interest rates further to stimulate the economy? Interest rates have been steadily dropping from 2008 to now, with not even small blips of any rises in the past 7-8 years. In that time, the economy has been dropping at around the same rate as interest rates. The cash rate is currently 2.5% and they suggest it drops further. It's currently the lowest it has been in over 50 years, and almost the lowest rate it has been - ever. I'm no economist, but my prediction is that the cash rate will drop to 2.0%, and the economy will drop with it. Stay tuned.

PS: I agree with them in that they don't see either side of politics as good economic managers: "The lack of confidence was partly because of suspicions Tony Abbott's government may not last beyond one term" and "The prospect of a Bill Shorten government is not a prospect that a lot of business people would relish because of the ALP's lack of tax and economic reform policies".

Edited by - Zac on 10 Apr 2015 07:51:47
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 10 Apr 2015 :  08:08:38  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
sorry for the typo (and you all know it was) I should have written UNemployment - there are some smart arses here, and you wonder why I become cynical

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/govt-urged-to-spend-to-stimulate-economy/story-e6frfkur-1227193599791

Even from your own Treasurer - http://theconversation.com/myefo-how-can-the-abbott-government-fix-australias-economy-21595

I am sure other comments I heard were on Q&A or some other program and I can't find the links

Edited by - Trev on 10 Apr 2015 08:15:33
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 10 Apr 2015 :  08:15:49  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Can't I be a ****en idiot, instead? Because I still can't find these industry and financial leaders with their ideas of sensible management to keep the country afloat.

EDIT: (Because you edited yours.) OK, so we've got one Mr Bloxham from HSBC and one adjunct professor. My list of industry and financial leaders beats your list.

http://www.propertyoz.com.au/library/JOINT%20OPINION%20PIECE%20-%20LEADERS%20MUST%20STAND%20ON%20THE%20SHOULDERS%20OF%20REFORM%20GIANTS.pdf
http://www.pwc.com.au/tax/assets/TaxTalk-13Feb15.pdf

Wasn't it all the spending to stimulate the economy that helped get us to where we are now in the first place? (Cues GFC warning...)

Edited by - Zac on 10 Apr 2015 08:26:40
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.94 seconds.