V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11158 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 10 Jun 2015 :  22:20:20  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If you have a good job that pays good money, there is a farm in Northern QLD looking for some new owners.

http://www.theland.com.au/news/lifestyle/domain/general/treasurer-joe-hockey-is-selling-his-15-million-farm/2734776.aspx
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9776 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 10 Jun 2015 :  22:34:05  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne
IMO a person to lead this country needs to be hourable
Is that like, not using rude words? There goes Hawke, Keating and Rudd's chances of ever leading the country...
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 11 Jun 2015 :  06:25:21  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
some working class hero's there Zac, except for the last idiot

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9776 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 11 Jun 2015 :  13:15:50  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by REM

It just keeps getting uglier!
http://www.smh.com.au/national/australian-officials-paid-people-smugglers-to-turn-back-to-indonesia-says-police-chief-20150609-ghk63g.html

That story comes to you from a fine, upstanding member of the incorruptible Indonesian police force, who got it from a people smuggler, who was backed up by a Bangladeshi boat passenger. So, somewhere between fantasy and fact atm.

I'll see if the story heads toward fact, or slips off the news headlines before believing the story so far.
Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 11 Jun 2015 :  22:25:45  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

quote:
Originally posted by REM

http://www.smh.com.au/national/australian-officials-paid-people-smugglers-to-turn-back-to-indonesia-says-police-chief-20150609-ghk63g.html

That story comes to you from a fine, upstanding member of the incorruptible Indonesian police force, who got it from a people smuggler, who was backed up by a Bangladeshi boat passenger. So, somewhere between fantasy and fact atm.

I'll see if the story heads toward fact, or slips off the news headlines before believing the story so far.

Maybe we'll ask the Whitehouse Institute's scholarship department about Abbott's incorruptibility...

As for today, seems he wants to stop job formation in this country if his latest wind farm comments are any guide:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-11/abbott-wants-to-reduce-wind-farms-wishes-ret-never-implemented/6539164

He wants to tear down wind farms and make even more Aussies unemployed.

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9776 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 11 Jun 2015 :  23:06:17  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If all those people working away on wind farms lose their jobs, they can probably get jobs on coal farms. Growing coal has to be easier work than farming wind all day - and less noise pollution.
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11158 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 11 Jun 2015 :  23:46:20  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

If all those people working away on wind farms lose their jobs, they can probably get jobs on coal farms.

Or Coal Seam gas fields, which are also on farms.
Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 12 Jun 2015 :  00:40:18  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CP

quote:
Originally posted by Zac

If all those people working away on wind farms lose their jobs, they can probably get jobs on coal farms.

Or Coal Seam gas fields, which are also on farms.

GOLD!

I wonder if Abbott finds those offensive? The Federal LNP sure hasn't made much noise about losing all our farms to CSG (kudos to the NSW and QLD branches for at least doing a little).

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 12 Jun 2015 :  04:35:47  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

If all those people working away on wind farms lose their jobs, they can probably get jobs on coal farms. Growing coal has to be easier work than farming wind all day - and less noise pollution.

I really hope you are being sarcastic

Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17525 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 12 Jun 2015 :  07:49:44  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

ha ha

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9776 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 12 Jun 2015 :  07:58:45  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Not sarcastic Trev, but probably flippant. I (like most rational people) am a believer in, and a supporter of renewable energy - wind power in particular. I'm just a bit amused that whenever someone - especially our PM, speaks out against it, social media goes into meltdown. Tony Abbott was on Alan Jones' program and was playing to the audience. Jones is known to rant against wind farms, and his reactionary audience seems to go along with him. I don't know what Tony Abbott really believes about wind power, but he was offering a personal opinion, and the chances of him actually making any meaningful cuts to wind power are almost certainly nil. Political expediency will see to that.

FWIW, I toured the Cullerin Range wind farm about four years ago, not long after it became operational. We stood amongst the turbine towers on a good wind day, and while we could hear the wind, the noise from the blades and the turbines was a barely audible hum. It was varying around 11-12 decibels, and that was standing as close as anyone possibly could to these things - and while they can sometimes reach about 15 dBs, that's about the same noise volume as the wind at those times. Newer turbines are quieter. As someone who has spent a lifetime around motorsport (and 410 Sprintcars have a noise limit set by the EPA of 95 dBs), around 12 dBs on a windy hill in the middle of nowhere is hardly likely to cause any hearing problems to anyone. The jury is out on any real health dangers, and if there were any, I doubt they would be anywhere near those of coal.

I was definitely being flippant about 27GV's reaction about Abbott's opinion on wind farms causing unemployment. Wind farms employ very few people, apart from the initial installation, and the units themselves are not built in Australia. The Cullerin Range units are Senvions from Germany, and there are other manufacturers like Suzlon in India and others from Brazil and Holland. As for being ugly, so what? Beauty is in the eye... and all that. I quite like them, and certainly more than coal fired power stations, let alone open cut coal mines. I spend quite a bit of time around Lake Macquarie (Coal Point and Toronto mainly, as I have mentioned to you before), and I have seen the demise of the polluting, belching Wangi Wangi power station - and still see Eraring and Vales Point steaming away -although half of Vales Point has been demolished, and the remaining half has had its emissions vastly cut. Possibly partly because of the additional power added to the grid by wind farms.

Tony Abbott's blather on Alan Jones' program won't go anywhere, apart from stirring up the easily stirred-up. The wind farm power targets he would like to cut (but won't), were set by John Howard back in the early 2000s. If anything, those targets will be increased. I think Howard set the target for wind power at 25-27% (around there) of our total power requirements, and Abbott mentioned a cut to 20%. Won't happen. Moving right along...

Edited by - Zac on 12 Jun 2015 08:04:20
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11158 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 12 Jun 2015 :  09:26:12  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Some of the signs around Scone regarding the potential wind farm down there (up in your case Zac) are laughable. One such one is Wind Farms are dangerous, please think of the birds.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 12 Jun 2015 :  10:08:31  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I always laugh like a crazy man when I hear idiots mention birds being killed by wind turbines, have these idiots actually watched a bird fly through a forest or a stand of trees planted close together - FFS

Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot

12526 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 12 Jun 2015 :  11:43:25  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

quote:
Originally posted by REM

**** those lying bastards!

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jun/12/tony-abbott-refuses-to-rule-out-paying-people-smugglers-to-turn-back-boats

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11158 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 12 Jun 2015 :  12:11:22  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has described wind farms as “visually awful”, saying he wishes the Howard government, of which he was a member, had never implemented the Renewable Energy Target (RET) policy.

“When I’ve been up close to these things, not only are they visually awful, but they make a lot of noise,” Mr Abbott told Sydney broadcaster Alan Jones on Thursday.

“I mean, if we have to designate a certain part of regional Australian to the long-term existence of man-made structures in order to power our homes, I would pick coal or oil – or CSG”

“I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, watching foreign owned coal and gas corporations tear our Australian soil apart in the quest for fossil fuels is far more attractive than some dumb-arse wind turbine.

This isn’t the first time Abbott has made reference to his object sexuality.

“Those fracking drills are sexy AF” he tweeted late last year, after visiting the once thriving agricultural hub known as the Darling Downs in western Queensland.

Abbott continued on his anti-renewable campaign when speaking to Jones on 2GB yesterday.

“Turbines are so kitsch. I can’t believe people want them installed on their own properties. All they do is kill birds and hum like a ceiling fan.”

“We are a stylish nation and we need to power our country in style,”

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/entertainment/tony-abbott-suggests-fracking-drills-are-far-sexier-than-wind-turbines/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.25 seconds.