V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11158 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 10 Jul 2015 :  14:19:09  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac
We can still discuss real issues in the meantime though - like the giant new mine destroying Australian farmland. On that subject: Barnaby mightn't need to resign. On the issue of that coalmine: Tony Windsor is making noises about making a comeback and standing against Barnaby at the next election. That's Tony Windsor who sold his farm to Whitehaven Coal just a few years ago. Politicians... no wonder we support and admire them so much.

It is a very, very interesting discussion up here at the moment, more so given that it has been given the green light.

Seeing as the Shenhua mine has been approved, I wonder if that gives a higher chance of the equally disputed Caroona underground mine being given the seal of approval.
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22226 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 10 Jul 2015 :  14:58:40  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

If you're referring to The Royal Commission into Trade Union Governance and Corruption (that's the commission established in March 2014 by then Governor General Quentin Bryce, and the same one that Bill Shorten has been giving evidence to this week) - it's not over. It will be hearing evidence every business day from now until the end of this month (July 31st). Bill might be recalled to give more waffle - sorry, evidence before it winds up. We can still discuss real issues in the meantime though - like the giant new mine destroying Australian farmland. On that subject: Barnaby mightn't need to resign. On the issue of that coalmine: Tony Windsor is making noises about making a comeback and standing against Barnaby at the next election. That's Tony Windsor who sold his farm to Whitehaven Coal just a few years ago. Politicians... no wonder we support and admire them so much.

Bloody interfereing relatives hey!

Edited by - Legendary Gerry on 10 Jul 2015 14:59:29
Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 10 Jul 2015 :  17:36:32  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

If you're referring to The Royal Commission into Trade Union Governance and Corruption (that's the commission established in March 2014 by then Governor General Quentin Bryce, and the same one that Bill Shorten has been giving evidence to this week) - it's not over. It will be hearing evidence every business day from now until the end of this month (July 31st). Bill might be recalled to give more waffle - sorry, evidence before it winds up. We can still discuss real issues in the meantime though - like the giant new mine destroying Australian farmland. On that subject: Barnaby mightn't need to resign. On the issue of that coalmine: Tony Windsor is making noises about making a comeback and standing against Barnaby at the next election. That's Tony Windsor who sold his farm to Whitehaven Coal just a few years ago. Politicians... no wonder we support and admire them so much.

Yeah, we've already spent 61 million dollars on this white elephant of a royal commission and the obvious goal - to force Shorten to resign - was a complete failure like everything else Abbott has attempted.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-07/union-corruption-inquiry-time-frame-extended/5796246

Of course these were the same mob who cut some funding to the child abuse commission. Guess it was worth it to give Alan Jones some fodder to complain about while the government undermines his other pet project, stopping mining on prime farm country.

And even after all this, the ALP still has a lead in the polls, probably because the public doesn't give a **** about ancient history while the economy stares down a property bubble burst, debt and recession.

_Mford

Edited by - 27GV on 10 Jul 2015 17:37:51
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17526 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 10 Jul 2015 :  18:34:42  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
yeah no corruption in the unions ???????....last union function i went to was run by the gypsy jokers !!!!

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 10 Jul 2015 :  19:40:39  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne

yeah no corruption in the unions ???????....last union function i went to was run by the gypsy jokers !!!!

hey....imagine a dust up between them and the LNP's mafia mates/sponsors!

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 10 Jul 2015 :  21:14:59  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by 27GV
And even after all this, the ALP still has a lead in the polls, probably because the public doesn't give a **** about ancient history
Probably more because the public doesn't give a **** about either the Government or the ALP. Kind of like: "Wall has passed Wood into 23rd - but which one is your favourite driver?"

EDIT to add: Do you really think the goal was to get Shorten to resign? If I was a strategist for the Government, I'd be concerned that if Shorten went, the ALP might find a proper leader to replace him. Yeah, I know. Looking through the ranks, not all that likely - but possible.

Edited by - Zac on 10 Jul 2015 21:23:08
Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 10 Jul 2015 :  23:05:40  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Just like if Abbott didn't stomp on Turnbull's ideas every second we might have a PM who isn't a joke and hated by the majority of Australians. Guess who won't be on Q&A...

It's hard to tell which side is more corrupt; the unions or the Libs who spent 61 million dollars to uncover very little we didn't already know.

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11158 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 10 Jul 2015 :  23:29:35  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Of course these were the same mob who cut some funding to the child abuse commission. Guess it was worth it to give Alan Jones some fodder to complain about while the government undermines his other pet project, stopping mining on prime farm country.

You really think that announcing the Shenhua mine approval was strategically done during all the hootin and hollerin over Bill Shorten and during the lead up to the State of Origin decider?

It is interesting though. I'm sure that many of you have heard about the rent-a-mobs (hidden amongst the proper protesters) that lock themselves to dozers at the nearby Maules Creek mine. The protesters are very focussed on stopping the Maules Creek mine due to where it is (in a state forest) due to the mass clearing for the mine (there are other mines in the same forest, yet aren't an issue) and that the water to process the coal is a direct pipeline the Namoi River.

You would think that the announcement of the Watermark mine would have the same deal of activism from this lot.

That isn't the case. This one is wholy and solely up to the farmers to stop.
Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 12 Jul 2015 :  09:46:27  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The Greens worked just fine to limit CSG in NSW. It's obvious the farmers can't count on the Nats while the Libs sell off our best farmland. The NSW Libs got scared like little girls the moment some Nats seats went to the Greens.

The Nats are as useless as tits on a bull.

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 13 Jul 2015 :  09:44:57  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne

Really that sounds like fun.
I went to a LNP meeting that was supposedly a community rate payers action group that was run by developers.
Same developers that paid for election campaigns of the majority of the councillors that give them the green light for anything they ask for

ONLY LITTLE BOYZ WEAR BOWTIES
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11158 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 13 Jul 2015 :  14:35:16  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The Abbott government has confirmed it will put two bills aimed at curbing union power back before Parliament, but Prime Minister Tony Abbott has sidestepped questions whether he is seeking a trigger for a double dissolution and an early election.
The Coalition plans to bring forward two pieces of legislation in the next sitting session, which if defeated by the Senate, would provide a trigger for the government to bring on an election for the House of Representatives and full Senate.
This includes a bill to restore the powers of the Australian Building and Construction Commission and another that would increase the penalties - including criminal penalties - for corrupt union officials.
The bill to enhance penalties for union officials was knocked out at the second reading stage in March this year, but was reintroduced later that month. The ABCC bill has had a slow passage through Parliament, after first being introduced in November 2013 and is yet to come to a vote.
Advertisement

If the former is put to a vote and defeated, it would give the government a trigger to ask Governor-General Peter Cosgrove to dissolve both houses of Parliament.
There has been ongoing speculation that Mr Abbott might call an early election following the positive reception of this year's budget.
But Mr Abbott did not confirm or deny the double dissolution plan on Monday.
"There's always a lot of hyperventilating from the media about will there or won't there be an election any time soon," Mr Abbott told reporters on Monday.
"Can I just say that we've had the best fortnight in the life of this Parliament.
"We've just had a fortnight where a lot of legislation was passed, where some $14 billion worth of much-needed savings were realised through sensible decisions at last by the Greens and by the Labor Party to support government initiatives.
"Why would you want to close the Parliament down just when it's starting to work?"
The last sitting week of Parliament saw the Coalition's pensions savings pass, along with other legislation, after the government bypassed Labor and the crossbench to reach a deal with the Greens.
But in comments that will keep double dissolution speculation alive, Mr Abbott also said that he did not want the workplace relations legislation blocked.
"In my judgement, sensible Labor people, decent working people, are appalled by the revelations in the royal commission and they want to see unionism in the country cleaned up," he said.
"I don't want it blocked for a second."
This comes as the role of unions continues to dominate headlines in the wake of Labor leader Bill Shorten's appearance before the royal commission.
On Monday, a spokeswoman for Employment Minister Eric Abetz said both the ABCC and penalties bills remained a "government priority and will be put before Parliament in due course"
This is not the first time a double dissolution has been speculated about during the Abbott government.
Last year, when the government struggled to pass its carbon tax repeal legislation and the new Senate crossbench, Mr Abbott noted that "if we had six to 12 months of difficulty maybe ye, it would be time to start thinking along those lines [of a double dissolution]."
Double dissolutions are rare events in Australian politics, with only six since 1914.
In order to call one, the Senate needs to reject a bill twice, after a three month gap.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/early-election-tony-abbott-silent-on-rumours-of-double-dissolution-as-antiunion-bill-returns-to-senate-20150713-giaubc.html#ixzz3fk7xFgj2
Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 13 Jul 2015 :  19:20:30  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Maybe someone told them union power was like wind power or solar power, so they had to ban it.

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 13 Jul 2015 :  20:24:55  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ugly and noisy? An affront? Could be...
Not solar, though. Solar is reasonably OK. Can't sell it to China, though.
Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 14 Jul 2015 :  11:12:40  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/video/2015/jul/13/tony-abbott-barnaby-joyce-job-video

I see that Abbott thinks letting great tracts of our agricultural land get destroyed for a mine means Joyce is "doing a good job" as agriculture minister.

Maybe that carries over to the rest of his cabinet of failures; Hunt is destroying the environment therefore he's doing a good job as environment minister, Pyne is destroying education therefore he's doing a good job as education minister.

Good thing we don't have to put up with their ineptitude much longer. The 61+ million dollar witchhunt against the ALP didn't even give the LNP the poll lead. They really have no hope at all.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/cattle-trade-slashed-labor-questions-if-poor-relations-with-indonesia-to-blame-20150714-gibkqc

And now Abbott's attempts to intimidate Indonesia have started damaging our economy via the live export trade. But hey, the LNP still cares for the farmers, by blowing their trade deals for some positive polls

_Mford

Edited by - 27GV on 14 Jul 2015 11:19:40
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 14 Jul 2015 :  14:48:42  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

And now Abbott's attempts to intimidate Indonesia have started damaging our economy via the live export trade. But hey, the LNP still cares for the farmers, by blowing their trade deals for some positive polls
Sounds like you've added 2 and 2 and got 5 (yet again). Bill "I oppose, but without announcing alternative policies" Shorten (sounding like Abbott when Opposition leader) made some comment that he "hoped" that Australia's political relationship with Indonesia wasn't behind this decision, and Nick Xenophon said that Abbott's comments at the time of the Chan/Sukumaran episode "got their backs up", but 2 + 2 still = 4, not 5. There is no evidence (and no statement from Indonesia) to indicate the reduction in our live cattle exports to Indonesia has anything to do with anything Abbott has said - about Chan and Sukumaran, or anything else.

As for "have started damaging our economy via the live export trade": Australia was only recently getting back to where our cattle exports to Indonesia were prior to the live cattle export ban to Indonesia that Labor initiated.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 14.48 seconds.