V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17533 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 05 Aug 2015 :  07:47:20  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Im aware of a young green senator who could be in the poo over this too

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22232 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 05 Aug 2015 :  09:10:11  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yuk - green poo!
Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 05 Aug 2015 :  10:38:20  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Legendary Gerry

As I have said many times - it's both sides of parliament.
Perhaps those who choose to be so one eyed as to only attempt to sensationalise one side's shortcomings should have a real good look.
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/08/05/06/05/questions-raised-over-tony-burkes-12000-family-trip-to-uluru

He was the Environment minister at the time and attended it on official business.

What a sad, sad attempt to spin this as the same as using taxpayers money to attend Liberal Party fundraisers and weddings.

Are you saying Liberal Party fundraisers count as official government business?

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22232 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 05 Aug 2015 :  11:06:44  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So what was the "official business" for his kids then?
Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 05 Aug 2015 :  12:25:27  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I thought you said kids were off limits after Abbott's daughter got that one off 60K scholarship for free?

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22232 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 05 Aug 2015 :  12:36:12  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by AlbertM

Since the introduction of the GST. All the government needs to do to alter the GST is amend the GST Act. That can be achieved by a majority vote in both houses of parliament.

Ever heard of a bloke called Bill Buckley?
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22232 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 05 Aug 2015 :  12:38:28  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by 27GV

I thought you said kids were off limits after Abbott's daughter got that one off 60K scholarship for free?

Don't split hairs - he's just like what appears to be the vast majority of politicians. Like I said, let he who is without sin cast the first stone...
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9780 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 05 Aug 2015 :  15:33:20  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The ongoing saga of politicians and their travel expenses will hopefully end sometime in the near future - but I'm not holding my breath. Bronwyn's departure could well be the beginning of the end of these rorts. Anyone here trying to gain political mileage out of the story so far is either oblivious to what has been going on, or chooses to ignore what is happening when it involves their side of politics. Bronwyn Bishop has now gone after a couple of the most extravagant or worst examples of travel expense rorts, but I have seen numerous examples of her ability to spend our money over the years - and her attitude of entitlement was extraordinary. ComCars to the opera, ballet, movie premieres etc are not legitimate travel expenses no matter how she tried to justify them. This loophole that allows politicians to waste our money on such things on the pretence that they are engaging in "government business" has been rorted and rorted, and is one of the main reasons we hold our politicians in such low esteem. Shaking hands with someone on the forecourt of the Opera House while sipping Veuve Clicquot is not government business.

There are a few politicians on both sides who should follow her. Tony Burke would have to be top of the list. As the politician who adopted the "holier than thou" air with Bronwyn Bishop, he has more front than Bronwyn ever had. He justified his ComCar trip with his children to and from a Robbie Williams concert on the basis that he had a meeting at the venue with Michael Chugg, the promoter. Pull the other one, Tony. I don't know what he used to justify a similar trip to a Justin Beiber concert. His trip with his kids to Uluru in the school holidays and his recent defence of it is total hypocrisy. Business class travel for the kids, car hire, accommodation, meals, etc. on the flimsy pretence it was "government business" to meet with some park rangers and some members of the local Aboriginal community. Fair dinkum

There are some decent politicians in Labor, Liberal, National and Green parties who have never indulged in this rorting, who travel economy and have never chartered a plane to take their families anywhere, but they're very much in the minority. Oh, there's another one: Wayne Swan. Back in 2012, at the Corporate Air Charter terminal at Brisbane Airport. Dressed in casual shirt and jeans, with his kids, waiting on a chartered RAAF Challenger business jet to arrive from Fairbairn to take them to Melbourne. Total cost to us, for that plane to fly from Canberra to Brisbane, take the Swans to Melbourne, then back to Canberra: $50,000+. He probably had to meet someone or other at the Member's Bar at the MCG. Then there's Nats leader, Warren Truss at Port Macquarie Airport, waiting for a similar RAAF jet to take him and his wife to Canberra on a weekend. There was a QANTAS flight leaving Port fifteen minutes later, flying to Sydney with a connecting flight to Canberra that wouldn't have really cost the taxpayer a cracker. Not exclusive or convenient enough, probably.

These rorts (and that's what they are) should have an immediate name change. Not 'Travel Entitlements', but 'Claimed Travel Expenses'. Pollies should have to pay for these travel expenses first, and then claim them back - just the way most companies make their staff do. If the claim cannot be properly justified, then the money isn't paid. My guess is that if Wayne Swan or Warren Truss had to justify their spending on RAAF jets for those trips, they might have decided to catch a commercial flight. That $50,000+ would have looked like a far bigger number to the World's Best Treasurer if it had to come out of his pocket first.

Enough of my rant. Let's just say, that along with millions of Australians, I'm over all of them and their attitudes of entitlement - and anyone who wants to go on with some example that some Labor politician is worse than some Liberal politician - or vice versa: I know of plenty more examples of both - and a Green example, and an Independent as well.

Edited by - Zac on 05 Aug 2015 15:36:37
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17533 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 05 Aug 2015 :  15:41:47  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
http://www.finance.gov.au/sites/default/files/P35_PASIN_Tony.pdf

this is my local member...half a million is fit out his office ???

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 05 Aug 2015 :  16:56:58  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

Don't split hairs - he's just like what appears to be the vast majority of politicians. Like I said, let he who is without sin cast the first stone...

So government ministers shouldn't be allowed to bring their families if they happen to be traveling on actual ministerial business?

Like I said, when did Liberal party fundraisers become the same as official government business? Difference between 'sin' and running government right there.

Now, if you'd stuck your boot into Ludlam about his travel indiscretion I'd be more willing to agree...

_Mford

Edited by - 27GV on 05 Aug 2015 19:41:07
Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot

12532 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 05 Aug 2015 :  17:56:01  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
But didn't you hear, Abbott said it the system that's broken, everything BB claimed was legit so must all polly perks be on the level. LOL!

Libs can't go after Labor without sinking their own and Labor can't go after the Libs without their own books being scrutinised.

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22232 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 05 Aug 2015 :  18:03:33  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

quote:

So government ministers shouldn't be allowed to bring their families if they happen to be traveling on actual ministerial business?

Like I said, when did Liberal party fundraisers become the same as official government business? Difference between 'sin' and running government right there.

Now, if you'd stuck your boot into Ludlam about his travel discretion I'd be more willing to agree...

Not if I'm paying for it! They can be like me and pay for my own family if I want them to join me on a little trip. WTF do his family have to do with visiting indigenous leaders? Absolutely nothing! It's just another example of a rort that you seem to have some difficulty understanding - members from all political parties are guilty of it, not just one.
Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot

12532 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 05 Aug 2015 :  18:46:01  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's actually in the perks they can take family with them on selected trips. The reasoning is that the job would otherwise take them away from their families.

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22232 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 05 Aug 2015 :  19:46:01  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by AlbertM

It's actually in the perks they can take family with them on selected trips. The reasoning is that the job would otherwise take them away from their families.

Doesn't make it right though and that's what the hullabaloo is about. There is absolutely no justification in allowing that.
Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot

12532 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 05 Aug 2015 :  20:16:20  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Right or wrong is public perception. MP travel rules allows to take family members.

The hullabaloo is if the claims are legitimate not what some think is right or wrong. In the case of BB, she made claims to meetings she hasn't or can't prove happened.

_Mford
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.81 seconds.