V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9780 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 02 May 2012 :  10:12:22  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Talk about the Victorian budget? Eh? How about Tasmanian politics, or the NT?
Go to Top of Page

rabbits
Team Manager

Australia
5035 Posts
joined 19 Aug 03

Posted - 02 May 2012 :  10:18:19  Show Profile Send rabbits a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's because the public believes that a 'budget surplus' means we aren't in debt anymore....and I reckon the ALP are playing on it hard - nothing like some solid marketing techniques to cover up your inadequacies, is there....
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 02 May 2012 :  10:24:02  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by rabbits

That's because the public believes that a 'budget surplus' means we aren't in debt anymore....and I reckon the ALP are playing on it hard - nothing like some solid marketing techniques to cover up your inadequacies, is there....

and so is the Victorian Liberal Government, take your blinkers off

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

rabbits
Team Manager

Australia
5035 Posts
joined 19 Aug 03

Posted - 02 May 2012 :  10:27:17  Show Profile Send rabbits a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don't care about a Victorian State Govt when I live in NSW, Trev.
They can sacrifice virgins for all I care.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 02 May 2012 :  11:03:57  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You will, coz they are going down the same path, this was confirmed at the recent COAG

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9780 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  08:11:00  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Maybe, maybe not. Still, it was what NSW voters voted for. Same as Queensland, Victoria and Western Australia. All had Labor governments which have been replaced by Liberal/Coalition governments, and in Queensland and NSW, the Labor governments were tossed out with absolutely devastating landslides. These four states represent around 20 million people in Australia's total population of around 23 million, and although most voters can differentiate between state and federal politics, it doesn't look good for Federal Labor. Maybe voters want less profligate spending, maybe they want fewer scandals and dumb decisions, but whatever it is, if NSW and Victoria are "going down the same path", it was what we voted for. That reminds me, I saw NSW's dumped Labor Premier Kristina Keneally offering some advice to Julia Gillard on what she should do to help her chances in the next election. That'd be valuable advice, wouldn't it? How to prove the political forecasters wrong by going for an even bigger loss than they predicted. She was suggesting Julia should dump the carbon tax, amongst other things.
Go to Top of Page

LP11
BANNED

Australia
1293 Posts
joined 27 Feb 12

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  12:03:35  Show Profile Send LP11 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Speaking about submarines, look at what the Labor party has just done: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/defence/labor-launches-40-billion-submarine-project/story-e6frg8yo-1226345520888 Well I guess that is good for jobs in Willsy's state

Go to Top of Page

willsy
V8 Taxi Driver

Australia
3165 Posts
joined 21 Nov 07

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  13:08:17  Show Profile  Visit willsy's Homepage Send willsy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Gee thats a fair sum of money! What do we do with Subs these days anyway, (although it is good for jobs in mind), I didn't realise subs were an important defense tool?

Go to Top of Page

LP11
BANNED

Australia
1293 Posts
joined 27 Feb 12

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  13:36:51  Show Profile Send LP11 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by willsy

Gee thats a fair sum of money! What do we do with Subs these days anyway, (although it is good for jobs in mind), I didn't realise subs were an important defense tool?

They just go around collect data...more environmental data I would assume about the melting icecaps, changes in coral reefs, marine life etc...you know the information that the government needs to legitimise its carbon tax!

Go to Top of Page

rabbits
Team Manager

Australia
5035 Posts
joined 19 Aug 03

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  14:01:29  Show Profile Send rabbits a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You mean like this ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2137170/Wind-farms-link-rising-temperatures-detrimental-impact-wildlife-weather-say-scientists.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

"Wind turbines could warm local climates up to ten times faster than the natural rate, a study has shown."

Yep - destroying the economy will fix this sort of thing....oh wait...tis is what they'll spend the money on, isn't it??
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  19:21:47  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
another furphy from the farmers who missed out on the money, it is a world-wide phenomenon, it is those without p!ssed off at those with.

I see there is a Liberal Minister with a concious, Peter Hall the Minister for TAFE's in Victoria.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/state-politics/victoria-education-minister-peter-hall-faces-calls-to-quit/story-e6frgczx-1226345958548

Edited by - Trev on 03 May 2012 19:28:26
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9780 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  16:57:14  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Almost 24 hours since Wayne delivered his 2012 Budget Speech, and no-one's said a word. Maybe because it's too boring to be of interest to us. He's got his surplus - although budgeting for a surplus and actually getting one are two different things. It wasn't that hard: Leave out the really big one, the NBN, cut the GST money to be returned to the states by about $8 Billion, defer foreign aid spending of around $5 billion to next year's budget, chop Defence spending by a few bill, and "Hey, Surplus!" Still, last year's budget predicted a $22 billion deficit, and it kind-of doubled to around $44 billion, so that budget didn't pan out quite they way it was meant to, being around $22 billion out. I'm sure he'll have this year's budget a bit closer to the mark, and if it ends up in a deficit of just a few billion, he'll have done OK. That's for those of us who think a surplus of $1.5 billion is really all that meaningful after going from a $20+ billion surplus to a deficit of (depending who you talk to) $190 billion in less than five years. I guess Wayne's surplus will bring the deficit down to $188.5 billion - but at least it's unlikely we'll reach Kevin's airy prediction that we'd be up to oh, say.. $300 billion by next year.

Excellent work, Wayne. You've budgeted for a surplus.
Now comes the tricky bit.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  19:17:15  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You are right Zac, it was a fairly predictable budget, I am not fussed about a surplus personally, it is hollow promise, it these times it is OK to have a deficit

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9780 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  20:12:47  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Aw, Trev. You're no fun. Where's that fighting Labor spirit?
Go to Top of Page

falcon_cobra
Kiss Fanatic

Sweden
8813 Posts
joined 02 Dec 04

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  20:17:26  Show Profile  Click to see falcon_cobra's MSN Messenger address Send falcon_cobra a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

Almost 24 hours since Wayne delivered his 2012 Budget Speech, and no-one's said a word. Maybe because it's too boring to be of interest to us. He's got his surplus - although budgeting for a surplus and actually getting one are two different things. It wasn't that hard: Leave out the really big one, the NBN, cut the GST money to be returned to the states by about $8 Billion, defer foreign aid spending of around $5 billion to next year's budget, chop Defence spending by a few bill, and "Hey, Surplus!" Still, last year's budget predicted a $22 billion deficit, and it kind-of doubled to around $44 billion, so that budget didn't pan out quite they way it was meant to, being around $22 billion out. I'm sure he'll have this year's budget a bit closer to the mark, and if it ends up in a deficit of just a few billion, he'll have done OK. That's for those of us who think a surplus of $1.5 billion is really all that meaningful after going from a $20+ billion surplus to a deficit of (depending who you talk to) $190 billion in less than five years. I guess Wayne's surplus will bring the deficit down to $188.5 billion - but at least it's unlikely we'll reach Kevin's airy prediction that we'd be up to oh, say.. $300 billion by next year.

Excellent work, Wayne. You've budgeted for a surplus.
Now comes the tricky bit.

and how did Johny get the surplus?, by selling everything that wasnt bolted down, and a lot that was, there usnt anything left to sell so of cause the surplus will be smaller

_Mvolvo
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 7.91 seconds.