V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  06:35:54  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Interestingly how rabbits reckons the GFC never hit Australia, but in the budget reply last night his good mate Tony mentioned it a numbers of times, but hey rabbits probably knows more. [/slaps knee]

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

rabbits
Team Manager

Australia
5035 Posts
joined 19 Aug 03

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  09:12:06  Show Profile Send rabbits a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You guys must read too fast....skip the bit where I said 'confidence was hit, which eventually had an effect'?

And besides which, stick to the argument - you're starting to pull it apart into 2 or 3 different thing....the argument is whether what the ALP did with our billions made any difference.

Look it up.

And here's a little help, only because I'm poised and ready to pounce on any reply as it just doesn't seem fair, it's going to be that easy.....check your dates.

Also, she did well yesterday, alienating half of Sydney.

Smart move.

Edited by - rabbits on 11 May 2012 11:26:31
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22232 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  10:36:51  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Excellent budget from Wayne and Julia!
Here's a very small, but personal effect of it.
My young bloke is in year 12 and had applied for the gap year option the defence force offers.
He has his confirmed interview next month.
We received a phone call from Defence Force Recruiting yesterday afternoon.
It's now been cancelled as part of the defence force budget cutbacks.
Go to Top of Page

rabbits
Team Manager

Australia
5035 Posts
joined 19 Aug 03

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  11:25:58  Show Profile Send rabbits a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Howard was very vocal in a speech just the other day about the disgrace that is the cut to the defence budget.

But hey, the magical ( mythical? ) 'surplus' had to come from somewhere!! ( Creative Accounting Inc. is what this Govt should change its name to...)
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22232 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  12:21:57  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
...at least they could afford the phone call, I guess.
Go to Top of Page

the undertaker
Team Manager

New Zealand
2966 Posts
joined 08 Nov 09

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  14:39:03  Show Profile Send the undertaker a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey LG, be careful.

If you boy answered the phone, he may have misunderstood the question "will you accept the charge?" as "will you accept the position?".

If he said yes, Bob's your second cousin.

Check ya bill when it comes.

Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22232 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  14:52:51  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bob's actually my first cousin undertaker :)
...and I answered the phone.
Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot

12532 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  23:35:42  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by rabbits

Albert, there's a saying : if you're in a hole and want to get out, stop digging.

The twist on that is we weren't in a hole until the (unnecessary)spending started.

Swan thinks he's done a good thing by delivering a surplus budget, but no-one else does - I just wonder why he won't listen to those that obviously know more than he does.

Have you seen the report that they are going to borrow another $50 Billion taking the total to $300 billion we owe?
The interest payment on the extra $50bn will erase his surplus on it's own. It's all lies and he knows it
If you weren't connected to mining the GFC was very real. With my job I saw the flow on effect it had. Everything slowed down. The spending was very necessary to maintain the life Australians are used to. Take Abbott for example. He lost his job in 2007, what did he do? morgaged his house to maintain his lifestyle. He took on debt without a secure way to pay it back (kind of explains why he pushed hard to be party leader and without hesitation took the pay rise). Very 'Labor' of him huh?

As for Swans surplus. You lot pushed for it. At election time it was something you held against the Labor party that they couldn't deliver a surplus. You praised Abbott for his promise for a 2012-13 surplus. My how 2 years changes things...

quote:
Howard was very vocal in a speech just the other day about the disgrace that is the cut to the defence budget.

But hey, the magical ( mythical? ) 'surplus' had to come from somewhere!! ( Creative Accounting Inc. is what this Govt should change its name to...)

So if Swans figures are so rubbery, how is it that Abbott could have/will save more? And all without explaination. I could declare I can save Australia and have the same amount of credibilty as him.

Was Abbotts promise of a budget surplus for 2012-13 just a pie in the sky fantasy too? Maybe the Libs had that private accounting firm in WA balance the books again. The last balance sheet found a gapping $84billion hole in Abbotts numbers.

Swans budget stumped the Libs so much they didn't even attack it. The went after some class warfare BS. The libs have no answers at all.

The economy is in good shape, unemployment holds steady, and the gap between the have and have not is decreasing as a result of the lower and middle incomes doing better.

And for myself, The budget was good for me despite not getting the company tax cut. That makes Swan a good bloke in my book. Stuff the rest of ya!

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 12 May 2012 :  07:37:03  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good onya Albert

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

falcon_cobra
Kiss Fanatic

Sweden
8813 Posts
joined 02 Dec 04

Posted - 12 May 2012 :  08:08:43  Show Profile  Click to see falcon_cobra's MSN Messenger address Send falcon_cobra a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by rabbits

what would you sell to create the "big" budget surplus like the former Govenment used to do?

_Mvolvo
Go to Top of Page

willsy
V8 Taxi Driver

Australia
3165 Posts
joined 21 Nov 07

Posted - 12 May 2012 :  10:31:08  Show Profile  Visit willsy's Homepage Send willsy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I do like like the projected surplus budget Albert, and hope it comes out that way.

If Abbott decides to do something like mortgaging his house Albert, its probably because he felt comfortable in doing so in his own means, but I would say thats a fair way removed from being prudent about managing the whole countries position?

Abbott said plenty the other night about how he would obtain the money to get it back to surplus. One that stood out to me was scrapping the NBN. It is going to only start to arrive in Adelaide's CBD in 3 years and a lot of suburbs it will take 10 years for it to happen here! A lot happens in 10 years in technology, just think of what phones were like 10 years ago and how much computers and computing power has changed since then too... $50 billion seems better spent on a whole lot of other things than this to me.

Not sure about the unemployment figures either. My Brother in Law has had hours slashed in his job, but is still employed. A good friend works in hospitality, and she only works 3-4 days a week down from 5 a year ago, but she is still considered employed as well. I heard a figure on the radio the other day, that in the last year, 48% more small business's have gone bankrupt in the last year than average which is a worrying trend too.

I still do not like the cash hand outs either, especially the school one. Why not give the money to the schools to lower fees, or the schools give a rebate to the parents enrolling their kids for the following year? Giving it to the parents directly and saying you trust them to do the right thing is only asking to be abused by many, and realistically shows its a more feel good factor trying to win them back some popularity than being an effective tool to help schooling.

Taking money out of the system with giving handouts, creating new taxes like the carbon tax etc to me seems like a vicious downward spiral for us. We all are going into our shells worrying about money, rather than getting relief and going out and spending up in restaurants, shops, entertainment etc. We have the cost of living going up and up, so some are getting cash handouts to covers this, which we have to pay for anyway, how can this keep happening?

Edited by - willsy on 13 May 2012 10:11:20
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 13 May 2012 :  09:25:25  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Confidence is down Simon there's no doubting that.

Maybe we should be asking ourselves if the man that puts a negative spin on absolutely everything is the right man to lead the country and it doesn't help when the Labor party gives this idiot all the amunition he needs to just sit back and say and do very little.
He has done absolutely nothing but re-inforce this lack of confidence whether he was right or wrong.

The Libs are going to have their own problems now that Peter Costello has said what most resonable people already knew.

Tony Abbott needs to go as does most of his front bench and Costello and Turnbull would make a good team.

Better still i wish some one with morals and a real interest in getting Australia back to where it should be would form a new political party so we can get rid the scourge that the Liberal and Labor parties have become

ONLY LITTLE BOYZ WEAR BOWTIES
Go to Top of Page

willsy
V8 Taxi Driver

Australia
3165 Posts
joined 21 Nov 07

Posted - 13 May 2012 :  10:09:08  Show Profile  Visit willsy's Homepage Send willsy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
All a fair call Trev, and a sweeping change would go down great.

Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot

12532 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 13 May 2012 :  12:40:39  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by willsy

If Abbott decides to do something like mortgaging his house Albert, its probably because he felt comfortable in doing so in his own means, but I would say thats a fair way removed from being prudent about managing the whole countries position?
True, but the idea is the same. The debt Australia has is also within its means.

quote:
Abbott said plenty the other night about how he would obtain the money to get it back to surplus. One that stood out to me was scrapping the NBN. It is going to only start to arrive in Adelaide's CBD in 3 years and a lot of suburbs it will take 10 years for it to happen here! A lot happens in 10 years in technology, just think of what phones were like 10 years ago and how much computers and computing power has changed since then too... $50 billion seems better spent on a whole lot of other things than this to me.
10 years is nothing compared to the 150 year old technology with the twisted copper pair(wire) that all this new technology is connected to. Wireless won't work in Australia, the population is spread out too far and the irony is that wireless depends of fibre to connect its hot spots.

Fibre doesn't rot, decay, you can send far more information through it and since fibre was invented technology still hasn't caught up to its potential.

10 years is also nothing when it took much longer to install the current network.

The NBN cost is not 50billion. It's 35billion and 11 of the was to buy back the trenches from Telstra.

quote:
Not sure about the unemployment figures either. My Brother in Law has had hours slashed in his job, but is still employed. A good friend works in hospitality, and she only works 3-4 days a week down from 5 a year ago, but she is still considered employed as well. I heard a figure on the radio the other day, that in the last year, 48% more small business's have gone bankrupt in the last year than average which is a worrying trend too.
If you earn a wage you're employed. It has alway been like that regardless of which party is in power.

How many business have started up in the same time?

quote:
I still do not like the cash hand outs either, especially the school one. Why not give the money to the schools to lower fees, or the schools give a rebate to the parents enrolling their kids for the following year? Giving it to the parents directly and saying you trust them to do the right thing is only asking to be abused by many, and realistically shows its a more feel good factor trying to win them back some popularity than being an effective tool to help schooling.
Doesn't matter who or where the money goes. Can you trust the school to spend it the right way? The majoity do the right thing. It's a shame that people only focus on the negative, the minority all the time.

quote:
Taking money out of the system with giving handouts, creating new taxes like the carbon tax etc to me seems like a vicious downward spiral for us. We all are going into our shells worrying about money, rather than getting relief and going out and spending up in restaurants, shops, entertainment etc. We have the cost of living going up and up, so some are getting cash handouts to covers this, which we have to pay for anyway, how can this keep happening?

The handouts put money back into the system not take it out. The system is us, the consumer, buying, trading, moving the money around. Moving the money creates tax revenue though fees, stamp duties and the big one, the GST. Stop the money and everything stops.

The new taxes are traded off with tax cuts. People assume they are being ripped off because they only notice the money they actally see. For the last 10 years income tax has been going down. I am paying over $5K less in that time. I cannot be the only one. We are moving to a user pays system, away from having our money taken away before we decide how to spend it.

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford
Go to Top of Page

willsy
V8 Taxi Driver

Australia
3165 Posts
joined 21 Nov 07

Posted - 13 May 2012 :  14:39:26  Show Profile  Visit willsy's Homepage Send willsy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by AlbertM

10 years is nothing compared to the 150 year old technology with the twisted copper pair(wire) that all this new technology is connected to. Wireless won't work in Australia, the population is spread out too far and the irony is that wireless depends of fibre to connect its hot spots.

Fibre doesn't rot, decay, you can send far more information through it and since fibre was invented technology still hasn't caught up to its potential.

10 years is also nothing when it took much longer to install the current network.

The NBN cost is not 50billion. It's 35billion and 11 of the was to buy back the trenches from Telstra.

Still thats a serious amount of money that we have to pay for now, for something that would be better to have when we can be strongly placed to afford it? I cant get broadband at home due to the infrastructure being poor, so I have wireless and it is as fast as my work version for a very competitive price. No doubt that will improve immensely too over the next few years as well... Its nice to have a grand project on the go, but is now really the time to do it?

quote:
If you earn a wage you're employed. It has always been like that regardless of which party is in power.

How many business have started up in the same time?

There is the problem though isn't it? You can work as little as 1 hour per week and you are considered 'employed' The stats are very broad and don't consider hours. I can only go off people I know and have heard, and I certainly hear some that are doing it tough with cut hours at the moment.

I have no idea how many small businesses have started up, but I do know that listening to the representative on the radio from a small business australia group to which he was the head, was very worried, and that was one figure that stuck in my head. He said Julia and the Government were excellent to deal with, and was happy with them in every way but for the fact that small business is now hemorrhaging badly and they need to step up to help out, as the current direction is bad.

quote:
Doesn't matter who or where the money goes. Can you trust the school to spend it the right way? The majoity do the right thing. It's a shame that people only focus on the negative, the minority all the time.

Heck of a lot easier auditing a single school of 1000 kids, than 1000 cases individually I would of thought?

quote:

The handouts put money back into the system not take it out. The system is us, the consumer, buying, trading, moving the money around. Moving the money creates tax revenue though fees, stamp duties and the big one, the GST. Stop the money and everything stops.

So isn't there a problem that we are needed to be handed money to go and spend? If the money was spent improving our situation directly and have people legitimately earning a better living, would have to be better than band aiding the problem by giving hand outs and leaving us to keep relying on this?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 16.48 seconds.