V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

bundy1
BANNED

2179 Posts
joined 02 Mar 16

Posted - 19 Aug 2017 :  10:40:35  Show Profile Send bundy1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It could have started 3 years ago when Ludlam should have acted when it was first raised - funny that...

Well said - sums up the hypocrisy of LG and the fordies -
http://www.v8central.com/snitz3403/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39351&whichpage=11#875389

Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11160 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 19 Aug 2017 :  16:31:03  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Apparently the Nationals could lose at least five members and now Nick Xenophon has referred himself.
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 23 Aug 2017 :  22:55:55  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm over all this crap. The citizenship rubbish has gone on for far too long and needs to be fixed now.

A full election needs to be held sooner rather than later to clear all this up now.

Save some money and do a referendum on homosexual marriage at the same time

ONLY LITTLE BOYZ WEAR BOWTIES
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9779 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 25 Aug 2017 :  10:04:35  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's an archaic law, and an irrelevant one, but it's still the law. It's in the Constitution to ensure that no parliamentarian has loyalty to any country other than Australia. That was relevant in 1901, but if you don't even know that you have dual citizenship, you can't be loyal to that other country, and so many Australians have dual (or triple, or more) citizenships, while undoubtedly being Australian and able to vote, etc. There won't be an election over it, because the Government and key cross-benchers would never support it (for a very obvious reason), but it's certainly shown up various MPs for being pretty slack. It's no good saying "I never thought I could be anything other than an Australian citizen" if you don't check. I'm sure most of us have been asked to check something that seemed totally ridiculous to have to check, only to find out "Oops!" I remember once doing a snap check on my fleet of 90+ sub-contractors to provide proof that their vehicles were registered. Most laughed at the ridiculous suggestion that they might not be. Two weren't registered, not because they were dishonestly avoiding registration, but through oversight.

PS: I had to laugh at Senator Malcolm Roberts, one of those found to have dual citizenship. He reckons he's got an excellent chance of succeeding in the High Court "because I got off my backside and researched it". Researched maybe, but never found out whether he held dual citizenship or not. He may succeed, but that stupid logic won't have anything to do with the court's reasoning.

Edited by - Zac on 25 Aug 2017 10:06:44
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17530 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 25 Aug 2017 :  19:16:10  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
http://www.9news.com.au/world/2017/08/25/13/44/joyce-nominated-for-kiwi-of-the-year-award

now that's funny !

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

the undertaker
Team Manager

New Zealand
2966 Posts
joined 08 Nov 09

Posted - 25 Aug 2017 :  21:15:39  Show Profile Send the undertaker a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Loving the fact that at one time you had to be a criminal to gain citizenship of Australia. Now they can't have anyone who may raise the average IQ of the Australians.

Wonder how many knew this.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11906614

"If you were to take Australian law to the letter, then there would not be a single Australian citizen qualified to serve in that country's Parliament.

Amid the dual citizenship scandal involving a number of Australian MPs, a Sydney barrister has claimed that, a section of the federal constitution could arguably disqualify everyone from parliament... and New Zealand is to blame for that.

In a blog post on the Huffington Post, barrister Robert Angyal pointed out that section 44 of the Australian Constitution states that anyone "under any acknowledgement of allegiance, obedience, or adherence to a foreign power, or is a subject or a citizen or entitled to the rights or privileges of a subject or a citizen of a foreign power" would be disqualified from serving in federal parliament.

"Under recent and little-noticed changes to New Zealand law, Australian citizens now don't need a visa to live, study or work in the Land of the Long White Cloud. That's right: Any Australian citizen is entitled to live, study and work there," he said.

"That means we're all entitled to the rights and privileges of a subject of New Zealand - not a citizen, with the attached rights and privileges such as voting - but to be a subject of that country, living there, subject to New Zealand law, working or studying. And there's no doubt that New Zealand is a foreign power."

According to Angyal, if section 44 were to be taken into account, no Australian would be eligible to be an Australian MP.

He went on to explain that it's not about using those rights and privileges of a foreign power as you only need to be entitled to those rights and privileges.

"New Zealand law has made every Australian citizen incapable of being elected to, or serving in, the Australian Parliament. It's not just Barnaby Joyce: It's everyone," he added."

Edited by - the undertaker on 25 Aug 2017 21:19:31
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14226 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 25 Aug 2017 :  21:39:41  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Looks like another own goal- very possibly a Mal-function?

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/extraordinary-100000-new-voters-join-electoral-roll-boosting-hopes-for-yes-campaign-20170825-gy466w.html

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Edited by - REM on 25 Aug 2017 21:40:18
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 26 Aug 2017 :  08:34:36  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My tip is that the High Court will uphold the wording of the Constitution.

Judges can 'interpret' the meaning of the law, but they can't change the meaning of the law (only Governments can do that) - the law will be upheld and we will have either a **** load of by-elections or Mal will call a general election (I am not confident of this one as his Government will get the boot).

You are focusing on the ones who didn't fix their citizenship issues, what about ALL the ones who did? They knew what to do - how comes this lot didn't?

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11160 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 26 Aug 2017 :  14:31:19  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trev

My tip is that the High Court will uphold the wording of the Constitution.

Judges can 'interpret' the meaning of the law, but they can't change the meaning of the law (only Governments can do that) - the law will be upheld and we will have either a **** load of by-elections or Mal will call a general election (I am not confident of this one as his Government will get the boot).

You are focusing on the ones who didn't fix their citizenship issues, what about ALL the ones who did? They knew what to do - how comes this lot didn't?

Even Derryn managed to do that, as he was the most vocal on it.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 05 Sep 2017 :  10:42:28  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
what a dick that Abbott is - seriously - "put up or shut up", so Bill puts up and where is Abbott, M.I.A. is where the idiot is - LOL

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

bundy1
BANNED

2179 Posts
joined 02 Mar 16

Posted - 05 Sep 2017 :  11:06:33  Show Profile Send bundy1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

what a dick that Abbott is - seriously - "put up or shut up", so Bill puts up and where is Abbott, M.I.A. is where the idiot is - LOL

Where's the story though? He was asked for proof that he wasn't a British citizen and he showed it which is what he should have done to begin with without Abbott needing to ask him in the first place.

Well said - sums up the hypocrisy of LG and the fordies -
http://www.v8central.com/snitz3403/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39351&whichpage=11#875389

Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14226 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 05 Sep 2017 :  12:53:38  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bundy1

quote:

Where's the story though? He was asked for proof that he wasn't a British citizen and he showed it which is what he should have done to begin with without Abbott needing to ask him in the first place.

God knows how many time Tony was asked.....for what years?

Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17530 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 05 Sep 2017 :  12:59:30  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

that's right.....something stinks with the whole shorten/citizenship saga, why didn't he put up 4 weeks ago ?

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14226 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 05 Sep 2017 :  13:19:51  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne

quote:

quote:

that's right.....something stinks with the whole shorten/citizenship saga, why didn't he put up 4 weeks ago ?

LNP was simply outplayed by the ALP....the Libs kept the issue alive, it turns out for no reason....but thereby keeping Barnaby front and centre.....and their own hypocrisy....

Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17530 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 05 Sep 2017 :  13:43:22  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by REM

quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne

quote:

quote:

LNP was simply outplayed by the ALP....the Libs kept the issue alive, it turns out for no reason....but thereby keeping Barnaby front and centre.....and their own hypocrisy....

so bill's dad was british, yet he wasn't prepared to prove that he wasnt a british citizen...that's out playing the Libs how ?...surley it makes bill look more untrustworthy and a bit of a dick ?

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 7.34 seconds.