V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17532 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  15:10:29  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Legendary Gerry

BBs are often angry because they see what they've been part of building up being absolutely thrashed by younger, inconsiderate, irresponsible people.
BBs didn't grow up expecting any rights until they could demonstrate responsibility - today it's **** my responsibilities, I have rights.
We got bugger all from the government, worked very hard for a fair day's pay, started with a very small house and upgraded as we could.
We had 2nd hand furniture, hand me downs, the bare essentials only, and scrimped and saved (often as Trev said with more than one job) until we could afford something better.
Today, people want 2 new cars, a big house with a bloody big telly and don't seem to be satisfied with anything less.
I've been working since the late 50s and am now semi retired (I work when, where and if I want to).
Like Trev I've had sfa from the government (fancy being given money to get your kids into childcare, for example).
Trev mentioned John Howard. Whilst I agree with him to some extent I believe it actually started in the late 70s.
How did it start?
I've already alluded to it; responsibilities took a back seat to "I have rights!"

and now the BB's want more rights than anyone else it seems...and LG...sorry but I don't feel sorry for you at all...it was your choice to work 2 jobs ect ect ect...just as it has been mine...only difference is I don't hate the world because of it...maybe instead of sooking you should be glad that your kids didn't have/want to work like you did ?

Ford 2018 champions

Edited by - Trickyonne on 06 Feb 2018 15:12:01
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22231 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  15:16:10  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm not after anyone to feel sorry T1 - just backing up Trev if anything and saying how it was.
What more rights do you speak of?
I don't know of any.

Edited by - Legendary Gerry on 06 Feb 2018 15:17:27
Go to Top of Page

tommo11
Team Manager

Indonesia
2085 Posts
joined 12 Dec 09

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  15:44:27  Show Profile  Visit tommo11's Homepage Send tommo11 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne

quote:

BBs are often angry because they see what they've been part of building up being absolutely thrashed by younger, inconsiderate, irresponsible people.
BBs didn't grow up expecting any rights until they could demonstrate responsibility - today it's **** my responsibilities, I have rights.
We got bugger all from the government, worked very hard for a fair day's pay, started with a very small house and upgraded as we could.
We had 2nd hand furniture, hand me downs, the bare essentials only, and scrimped and saved (often as Trev said with more than one job) until we could afford something better.
Today, people want 2 new cars, a big house with a bloody big telly and don't seem to be satisfied with anything less.
I've been working since the late 50s and am now semi retired (I work when, where and if I want to).
Like Trev I've had sfa from the government (fancy being given money to get your kids into childcare, for example).
Trev mentioned John Howard. Whilst I agree with him to some extent I believe it actually started in the late 70s.
How did it start?
I've already alluded to it; responsibilities took a back seat to "I have rights!"

and now the BB's want more rights than anyone else it seems...and LG...sorry but I don't feel sorry for you at all...it was your choice to work 2 jobs ect ect ect...just as it has been mine...only difference is I don't hate the world because of it...maybe instead of sooking you should be glad that your kids didn't have/want to work like you did ?

Well said.

Baby Boomers seem to think that they have a mortgage on hard work, sacrifices and troubles. The reality is vastly different. Whinging about the younger generations who have grown up in different times, with different technology, historical influences and economies will not change this.

quote:
Originally posted by Trev

The idiots that criticise baby boomers are the lazy ****ers living off the tit of the baby boomers, all the knockers can get ****ed. I have worked full time for 46 years this, NEVER unemployed, paid some of the highest taxes this country has seen the whole time (some of which the old mate 'tommo11' is ****ing whinging about), paid 17% interest on my home loan - **** the lazy whinging ****s

Who the **** does 'tomomo11' think pays the taxes to Government to feed the 'vulnerable under 30s who need support'. Does he think it comes from the Politicians pockets - ****en idiot, it comes from MY pocket, a baby boomer!!!!!!! If we waited for the 'vulnerable under 30s who need support' to contribute and pay their fare share of taxes we will be waiting a while

Everything I have I have ****ing worked hard for, my wife raised 4 children with a full time job looking after other peoples kids in our home (which 32 years later she still does) while I worked 1 full time job and 2 part time jobs. My wife puts up with the over-privileged Baby Boomer knockers every day, whinging that the Government tit (my taxes) doesn't pay enough of their childcare so that they can have a ****ING huge house, 2 latest model cars, a home theatre system - **** 'em. This **** makes me angry.

**** John Howard for introducing middle class welfare just to win votes, all it has done is created a generation of whingers

All the benefits that these baby boomer knockers enjoy is because of the baby boomers, many of the lazy ****s still live at home sucking on mummy's tit and then get on the internet whinging

These are the technological junkies ****s that whinge that they can't get a job, they love the technology, the same technology that has created the loss of jobs. These are the ****s the use the quick self-serve lanes creating more unemployment, these are the ****s that buy online from overseas creating more unemployment - **** 'em

I applaud anyone who has a go, my 4 children, all in their mid 30's all have jobs, all contribute and not whinge about the baby boomers, they appreciate the effort their parents put in

this sums up the Baby Boomer knockers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo0KjdDJr1c

I held off responding but I couldn't hold it in any longer

Taxes come out of my pocket too, my (non boomer) parents pockets, both of who were small business owners and have paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in tax while employing people, including helping people like me get a start, Don't give me that entitled crap. I would rather my tax dollars go to a struggling under 30 than a baby boomer pension who has a room and several assets. Baby boomers don't have a mortgage on 17% interest rates from the "recession we had to have", other people did exist at that time. They don't have a ****ing mortgage on hard work, sacrifice and drive, or the ability to have a say in the countries affairs, despite their wishes. What they do seem to have, and LG and your good self have proven, is a mortgage on entitlement, greed, and the ability to have a whinge while not being able to look in the mirror.

I came from a family of 4 kids, one autistic, one with a serious heart issue. At one stage one parent was a single mum, the other a Uni student. It was tough. There wasn't many new things for a while. Of course thats nothing compared to the struggles of the baby boomers, because their lives were sooooooooooo much harder than everyone elses. Spare me you twit.

Baby boomers can go rot as far as I'm concerned.

triggered snowflake xox

Edited by - tommo11 on 06 Feb 2018 15:57:11
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  17:01:58  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
All I see is entitled ****s whinging about we have through our ****ing hard work as our parents gave us NOTHING. I was the 4th born of a family with both parents working, one well paid and I got NOTHING from them, I paid board from 16 when I got my first job, I moved out of home at 18 and paid my way for the rest. It wasn't until 2008 (when I owned everything through hard-work) that I got some money from my fathers estate.

No Government handouts for us, zip, zero, **** all, no childcare rebates, no Government sponsored Tertiary education, no rebate on Private health Insurance payments, no Medicare, no 'free' Doctors, no 'free' hospital care, etc, etc, etc

Try this one of for size, 'back in my day' you had to have 33% of the price of the home you wanted to purchase sitting in the bank for 12 months untouched before the bank would consider you for a mortgage - how would that sit for you? We did it, by scrimping, saving and living within our means (this means not spending more than we earn - a hard concept for you to get your head around eh?) So in today's terms, that is anywhere from $100,000 to $250,000 sitting in the bank for 12 months doing nothing - how do you reckon you would go?

You won't win this argument because you don't have clue, you are typical of people your age - too self-engrossed with themselves and with the 'gotta have it now" attitude

I reserve the right to arm bears

Edited by - Trev on 06 Feb 2018 17:17:04
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22231 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  17:08:36  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A mortgage on entitlement!
What a joke.

If it wasn't for the fact you turned it unnecessarily personal at the end, Tommo11, I might have more empathy for your apparent plight...
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17532 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  18:05:28  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

I'm not after anyone to feel sorry T1 - just backing up Trev if anything and saying how it was.
What more rights do you speak of?
I don't know of any.

Maybe rights wasn't the right word to use....but reading through some "poor me " I didn't inherit anything ect ect ect...is selfish and sad IMO

I'm 47 and I've worked for what I have too...and the young people today work IMO just as hard if not harder than the BB generation...these days we have mobile phones which means you work 24/7...you are expected to work long hours without extra pay

IM the youngest of 6...I have inherited zero...same as a lot of my friends, yet it's never mentioned in out generation....why is that ?

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

tommo11
Team Manager

Indonesia
2085 Posts
joined 12 Dec 09

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  18:42:54  Show Profile  Visit tommo11's Homepage Send tommo11 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
T1 says he is 47. He would have been around 20, 21 around the 17.5% interest era, double digit unemployment era. How easy was it find work as someone that age T1? Apparently the baby boomers are the only people that existed at that time and had issues at that time, so it can't have been too hard?

triggered snowflake xox
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22231 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  18:47:23  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
From memory, work was pretty easy to find during that period.
Why were the BBs the only people to exist then?
Your logic and argument is hopelessly flawed and illogical.
There's also something very wrong with your maths.

Edited by - Legendary Gerry on 06 Feb 2018 18:48:42
Go to Top of Page

tommo11
Team Manager

Indonesia
2085 Posts
joined 12 Dec 09

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  19:26:14  Show Profile  Visit tommo11's Homepage Send tommo11 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
47 - 27 years = 1990. Means he would have been 20. Similar age to my parents. Check your calculator. Recession we had to have era starting. Peak Interest rates were in 89/90 at their peak 17.5% which I constantly hear about from whinging boomers despite the explosion in property prices since.

The only people I hear complaining about 1989-1992 poor economic conditions are Boomers, despite the obviously extra disadvantages that younger people had. Peak unemployment in around 1991/92 was well above 10%, so no, work was not "easy to find", especially for kids coming out of school into a highly contested jobs market. Youth unemployment in 1992 reached 20% at one point.
https://tradingeconomics.com/australia/youth-unemployment-rate

triggered snowflake xox
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9780 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  20:50:26  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
How did we get onto this? Oh, yes. Tommo with his "greedy, baby-boomer pigs" remark.

I'm a baby-boomer, born early 1949, back when Ben Chifley was our Labour (that's how it was spelt back then) Prime Minister, before the Menzies Liberal years. It was nearly 70 years ago, and times were very different. The only point I'll make in this off-topic chat is that: Whether we like it or not, we are a big blip on the population graph. We're all heading into retirement, and that's a problem. A lot of people who worked and saved are now moving out of the workforce. Luckily, PJK brought in compulsory Super, or the problem we're facing would be almost insurmountable. I think we should stop the inter-generational insults and get back to 'General Libs vs ALP' thread.

FWIW, I'm 68 with another birthday in a few weeks, and I have no intention of retiring. When I do, I'll be working voluntarily, because I don't play golf or bowls, I don't fish, and I don't want to prop up the bar somewhere. I'll also probably help my three children, currently 37, 35 and 33. Well, more than I do now. They have a different set of problems than I did at their ages, but I have never got the violin out for them about how tough it was back then. That wouldn't help things at all - as you can see by the last page or two.

PS: I'll add something while this inter-generational chat is still going. If you want to talk about a generation who did it tough, I think the parents of baby-boomers did it tougher than most. They were born either during WWI, or in that post-War period of the 1920s. The generation before them were beaten up by the war, and then this generation grew up during the Great Depression - and then had to face another war. Most of them (including both my parents) had to give up what they were doing, and join the armed forces. After WWII, there were all kinds of hardships before things improved into the 1950s. As a baby-boomer, I find it hard to moan too loudly, and I don't think the generations after us should either.

Edited by - Zac on 06 Feb 2018 21:09:56
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17532 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  20:56:55  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I was lucky ..and your right the recession hit not long after I started working...

My dad would tell me " son you need an edumacation...in my day you could get a job almost anywhere "

The BB love to slag off at the younger folk...maybe it because they see them busting their butts but aren't moaning ?... Not really sure ...but as a dad who has a 20 year old son who is an apprentice and twin 18 year old girls who are entering Uni and working I'm in awe of their work ethic...

The 20 somethings of today are an outstanding generation and they should have us older folk cheering them on...not complaining how hard our lives were

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22231 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  21:04:05  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I hear BBs talking about the interest rates (as opposed to complaining) for a much longer period than what you suggest.
Yes, official interest rates were at a peak of 17% from about mid '89 until early '90 but they were pretty high for a long period before that.
Unemployment rates were high but as with all things it depended on where you lived and what type of work you were willing to do.
That's always been the same.
The vast majority of BBs performed whatever work was available rather than "I'm not doing that!"
The nineties wasn't the only recession we've had in Australia either.
BBs went through them in the sixties, a few times in the seventies and also in the early eighties.
You are simply picking and choosing.
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17532 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  21:12:14  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
LG a very small minority of people refuse to work...a quick drive around housing trust homes in Adelaide and they are full of bb ..tarnishing all with the same brush doesn't work.. And yes their we have had other recessions .... Some generations blame them on their bitterness other generations move on with life.

Spot on Zac....the generation before the BB had it tough....maybe they heard their folks complaining about their old days so they have learnt ?

Ford 2018 champions

Edited by - Trickyonne on 06 Feb 2018 21:14:29
Go to Top of Page

tommo11
Team Manager

Indonesia
2085 Posts
joined 12 Dec 09

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  23:45:25  Show Profile  Visit tommo11's Homepage Send tommo11 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

I hear BBs talking about the interest rates (as opposed to complaining) for a much longer period than what you suggest.
Yes, official interest rates were at a peak of 17% from about mid '89 until early '90 but they were pretty high for a long period before that.
Unemployment rates were high but as with all things it depended on where you lived and what type of work you were willing to do.
That's always been the same.
The vast majority of BBs performed whatever work was available rather than [b]"I'm not doing that!"[b]
The nineties wasn't the only recession we've had in Australia either.
BBs went through them in the sixties, a few times in the seventies and also in the early eighties.
You are simply picking and choosing.

The people who do that, at least in WA are a minority. There isn't a massive amount of jobs outside of Perth. You are relying on stereotypes, something boomers a great at, to push agendas and to keep your already large slices of various pies. I'm focusing on the 1990 period because that was the "but but 17% interest rates" sook that originally came from one of you or Trev, I don't care who. I'm well aware of other historical downturns, included the early 80's. I wrote a thesis on the very subject. Once I shot down that Boomer excuse, here you are trying to pick and choose more.

I myself have no plight LG. I'm a heck of a lot more privileged than most people around my age. A full time employed 22 year old with a uni degree but with no HESC debt. What I do take issue with is with Boomers, particularly ones born in the mid to late 50's acting like they have a mortgage on hard work and the ability to have a say in this country while sprouting all of this garbage about young people being slack, pickers and choosers when it comes to work, and nation wreckers.Young people want to change some aspects of society, shock horror Trev. What is so different to the previous century in that regard?

triggered snowflake xox

Edited by - tommo11 on 07 Feb 2018 00:22:58
Go to Top of Page

karter
Team Manager

11736 Posts
joined 21 Sep 04

Posted - 07 Feb 2018 :  07:12:56  Show Profile Send karter a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
All the whinging about generations is ridiculous. People are born every year. They don't appear in waves 20 years apart.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.78 seconds.