V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 19 Dec 2018 :  18:41:46  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
you have nothing hahahahahaha

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9780 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 19 Dec 2018 :  19:14:48  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Let's not get too far off the 'General Libs vs ALP Thread' topic, but can I just say?...

Firstly, I've got a few years on Trev. When I was born, Ben Chifley was Prime Minister, King George VI was our monarch reigning over us all, and the first Holden had just rolled off the production line. I don't know if we did it tough. We probably did in some ways, but our parents did it tougher. My mother was born a few years before the Great Depression hit, and grew up through it, had to leave school early to find work to help the family survive, and was about 17 when WWII arrived, joined the Army, then after the war got married and then spent the years after that with shortages of everything before the good times came. Trev and I have discussed that before in this thread. I'm one of ten children. No childcare back then. Anyway...

There's some great points being made in this recent discussion: by Trickyonne, Trev and tommo mainly, and it's interesting to hear how others see things - but can we stop getting so aggro and personal? I like the passion, but I don't like the other stuff. This thread could be so much better without that stuff. What is it about keyboards and anonymity that brings all the personal rubbish out? Come on guys, be passionate, angry even - but not so much at each other. We can disagree and still be friends even if we don't know each other...

Can't we?
Go to Top of Page

tommo11
Team Manager

Indonesia
2085 Posts
joined 12 Dec 09

Posted - 19 Dec 2018 :  19:17:35  Show Profile  Visit tommo11's Homepage Send tommo11 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ohhh Zac the voice of reason for us rabble.

Now my original point which was distorted as a personal attack which is wasn't, how would I know what any of you and your partners do in the world? was that I believe adjusting rates of pay in industries which are female dominated purely because of that reason is a dangerous path in my view and I can see all sorts of unintended consequences.

Could there be an argument for an adjustment in pay for childcare workers ? Maybe, probably. But don't do it just because it is a female dominated industry in terms of employment, do it simply because the pay in that industry as a whole should be reviewed. And if projected increases are a risk to a businesses in terms of breaking even, then what do you do?

triggered snowflake xox

Edited by - tommo11 on 19 Dec 2018 19:27:53
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 19 Dec 2018 :  19:25:13  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
what I get passionate about Zac is people who sprout off and have an opinion they know nothing about, one thing I have learnt in all my years posting on forums is that is ALWAYS someone who knows more than you do about any given subjecy

By all means post away, but stick to facts not fallacy or hearsay

Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17533 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 19 Dec 2018 :  19:26:56  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trev

post 50 year olds who paved the way for you, who gave up almost everything to give your spoilt arse as much as you wanted. The only thing our generation could be guilty of is giving in to your ****ing whinning and whinging

The biggest issue with your generation is that you actually think you are doing it tough - you have no ****ing idea, why? because your parents protected you from the tough times

Now go and sit in the corner and suck on your thumb

Sadly Trev most of us don't give 2 rats about how tough your life was....clearly contreception wasn't invented back then....time to move on champ...the next generation, not only don't care but also don't owe you anything, so your little rant is only making you look foolish and jealous of how better and smarter the new generation are.

Back on topic
Ole mate Kevin is gem eh ?....talked about healing at the ALP conference...wasn't he the one kicking them to the gutter ?

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 19 Dec 2018 :  19:41:04  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by tommo11

Anyone think daycare workers should get paid the same as welders and riggers? I sure as hell don't, and the working mums won't think so either when their childcare costs explode due to higher wage requirements. That is a potential future if Tanya "Africa is a country" has her way. That bitch having her way on social policy in this country scares the hell out of me.

you do know that the childcare subsidy was started by Howard & Costello, about the same time as the other 'middle class welfare' payment kicked in, the old 'baby bonus'. Both were an ugly grab for votes and has cost the Australian taxpayer mega-bucks ever since

quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne

Sadly Trev most of us don't give 2 rats about how tough your life was....clearly contreception wasn't invented back then
I remember reading someone where you waffled about how tough you do/did it, but I guess that is OK. Don't you have 5 kids? My 4 were all born in the early 80's, you know that time when home loan interest rates went to 17%

You know Zac respectfully asked for people to not get personal so your very next ****ing post is a personal attack on me - 2 girls then twin boys, what was I to do, throw one back - you really are a ****ing tool of the highest order. I can't be bothered even responding to you anymore, I really can't be ****ed debating with idiots

quote:

....time to move on champ...the next generation, not only don't care but also don't owe you anything, so your little rant is only making you look foolish and jealous of how better and smarter the new generation are.
happy to move on with a reminder that people need to spruik about stuff they actually know about

quote:

Back on topic
Ole mate Kevin is gem eh ?....talked about healing at the ALP conference...wasn't he the one kicking them to the gutter ?

I was stunned they gave him the kudos they did, absolutely stunned

Edited by - Trev on 19 Dec 2018 20:25:42
Go to Top of Page

tommo11
Team Manager

Indonesia
2085 Posts
joined 12 Dec 09

Posted - 19 Dec 2018 :  21:04:52  Show Profile  Visit tommo11's Homepage Send tommo11 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by tommo11

Anyone think daycare workers should get paid the same as welders and riggers? I sure as hell don't, and the working mums won't think so either when their childcare costs explode due to higher wage requirements. That is a potential future if Tanya "Africa is a country" has her way. That bitch having her way on social policy in this country scares the hell out of me.

you do know that the childcare subsidy was started by Howard & Costello, about the same time as the other 'middle class welfare' payment kicked in, the old 'baby bonus'. Both were an ugly grab for votes and has cost the Australian taxpayer mega-bucks ever since

I don't disagree...

quote:

quote:

post 50 year olds who paved the way for you, who gave up almost everything to give your spoilt arse as much as you wanted. The only thing our generation could be guilty of is giving in to your ****ing whinning and whinging

The biggest issue with your generation is that you actually think you are doing it tough - you have no ****ing idea, why? because your parents protected you from the tough times

Now go and sit in the corner and suck on your thumb

Sadly Trev most of us don't give 2 rats about how tough your life was....clearly contreception wasn't invented back then....time to move on champ...the next generation, not only don't care but also don't owe you anything, so your little rant is only making you look foolish and jealous of how better and smarter the new generation are.

It doesn't go that far but there is this underlying frustration at both the bull**** stereotypes about laziness and whining coming from people in their late 50s and 60s who have lost perspective on how hard it is for some people to get a foothold in life as an early adult. I'm not interested in hearing it and I'm going to call out rubbish from these people.

Of course there are people around who whine, complain, leech and who are a bit full of themselves, but is that really different from previous generations?

triggered snowflake xox

Edited by - tommo11 on 19 Dec 2018 21:12:35
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 19 Dec 2018 :  21:37:04  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
sad part is tommo is actually not rubbish. The biggest single issue with your generation is that you honestly believe that you are doing it tougher than all the generations before you, we did it tough until we got a foot hold through hard work extra study and head down, my parents did it tougher, their parents did it even tougher. My parents were born in the mid '20's, the endured the depression and WWII as teenagers, thankfully my dad worked in a coal mine from the age of 16 during the war then joined the police force in 1946 as a 21yo, a job he held for 39 years until he retired, we never went without, my mums story is a whole different story which I won't go into here

Your generation doesn't have a monopoly on 'tough times', believe me. The beauty of 4 kids all in their mid the late 30's is that I see how tough they do it, it is nowhere near as tough as we did, but they do it tough at time (they don't go with out). The difference between my kids and you is that they actually understand what we went through to provide for them. The difference between my kids and us is that we (through hard work) were able to help them out where we could, our parents never did that for us - NEVER. When I was 18 I asked my dad (I am the youngest of 4 boys) to go guarantor for me for $1500 for a loan to buy my first car, not give me the money, just sign a form, coz back then you had to be 21 to get that sort of credit, he said flat out no, we survived, we didn't whinge, we just go on with it

Edited by - Trev on 19 Dec 2018 21:44:30
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17533 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 19 Dec 2018 :  22:00:39  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Just to clear it up Trev...I have 7 kids...I work full time plus am involved in. 2 businesses .....I never complain about it, because I'm grateful that I.m helping my kids have better life and I rejoice in that fact
And on the flip side.....I have a lot of family in the police and most have been in 20 plus years...most say that they would not recommend it these days due to the extra unpaid hours they need to work....yet they do it, and they do it with a smile on their face....maybe we could learn something from that ?

I. 47 and I looked at the generations coming up and I'm cheering them on, and marvel at their intelligence,confidence, drive and attitude

Anyway....time to listen to uncle Zac

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

Jam3s
Team Manager

2773 Posts
joined 02 Mar 13

Posted - 19 Dec 2018 :  22:39:23  Show Profile Send Jam3s a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Seems like a lot of anecdotes being touted as the single truth of what life is like, which isn't the case. In some ways it's tougher, in others it's not.
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9780 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 19 Dec 2018 :  23:01:52  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWDHl8ad9QE
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17533 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 19 Dec 2018 :  23:16:00  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jam3s

Seems like a lot of anecdotes being touted as the single truth of what life is like, which isn't the case. In some ways it's tougher, in others it's not.

True mate

So, we finally relented and got the NBN through Optus...and it's about reliable as lada

Anyhow...I can now get skynews !!!!....didn't realise what I was missing, we now get
Bolt
Credlin
And co

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

bigem
A polar bear

Australia
15994 Posts
joined 22 Jun 04

Posted - 19 Dec 2018 :  23:31:31  Show Profile Send bigem a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I had a good giggle over some of that!
Mick, protect the goat at all costs, we don't want any of those Nats sickos anywhere near it!
Peter Dutton has got rich and received big government handouts while paying his staff peanuts, so I don't expect this current government to do Jack **** for childcare workers!

New Commodore Hey! So you used your own money? Would you like to buy a used bridge?
Go to Top of Page

tommo11
Team Manager

Indonesia
2085 Posts
joined 12 Dec 09

Posted - 20 Dec 2018 :  02:25:08  Show Profile  Visit tommo11's Homepage Send tommo11 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well if that is your point of view Trev you need to leave your sheltered workshop, cancel your Australian subscription and talk to some average joes. Many of whom are forced into insecure contract or part time work by boomer employers while paying off mortgages way higher relative to income compared to what you ever had to deal with even in 1989. It also seems to me that you are somewhat blinded by your own upbringing. Trust me, there are a lot of kids and young adults who have had no help from their parents. Drug addiction is rife here, which causes all sorts of issues. People my age, people in 30s, 40s, itís everywhere. Friends have ended up on roads to nowhere because of their childhood homes. Some made it through too.

We are not hard done by compared to WW2 vets or depression era kids, Iíll give the person who would say that rubbish a good slap. But I donít see anyone suggesting that either. More boomer stereotypical nonsense. Iíve had stories about the depression era in country WA, Iíll pass being a kid or unemployed in 1930-32. I wonít be lectured on hardship by boomers (particularly 50s) sorts who have had their net wealth explode due to dumb luck, a property boom and being alive and employed at the right time, the same people who proclaim to be economic genius and bastions of hard work. I want to throw up thinking about it. Youíll be out of the way eventually though.

triggered snowflake xox

Edited by - tommo11 on 20 Dec 2018 02:53:21
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9780 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 20 Dec 2018 :  06:02:29  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This is better. All we have to do now is get back on topic.

So, there's a Federal election coming up sometime in the next six months. Does anyone think the Coalition can win it? ScoMo is keeping well ahead of Bill in the 'Preferred Prime Minister' polls, but that doesn't count for much. Labor has been well ahead of the Coalition in every poll I've seen since way before ScoMo became PM. It seems that every time the Coalition thinks it's got some good news to tell us (hoping to claw back some votes), some idiot in that Coalition pops up and stuffs it for them.

There are some optimists that say that "every election is winnable", but from this far out from voting day, "optimists" is a very optimistic word.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 4.06 seconds.