V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9779 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 29 Jan 2019 :  11:10:02  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bigem

Rats deserting a stinking rotten festering ship!...

members announcing retirement/separation prior to the next election!...

The writing is on the wall for the Coalition on the federal level...

Yes, these MPs announcing their retirements is quite a coincidence, and no wonder they're making the news. Is it something to do with "stinking, rotting, festering", or some other political jargon, or are they just retiring?

Speaking of retiring MPs making the news, there's also:

"Labor legend Jenny Macklin retiring. Will not contest the 2019 election"

"Combative Federal Labor MP Michael Danby will retire at the next election, ending a 20 year political career."

"Canberra Labor MP Gai Brodtmann will not contest the 2019 election, citing family reasons."

Add a few more Labor MPs: Jacinta Collins (family health reasons), Wayne Swan too. Remember him? There's a few more. They just retired too. No ulterior motives about rats and ships.

Maybe all MPs just retire sooner or later. Some desert sinking ships, and some just retire. Depends on your bias.

Edited by - Zac on 29 Jan 2019 20:11:08
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 29 Jan 2019 :  12:21:03  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh, Labor spokesperson Mundine who is now a Liberal Candidate, he will be about as succeful as Peter Garrett

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9779 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 29 Jan 2019 :  13:46:54  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
He's not retiring too, is he? He hasn't even got there yet.

He is similar to Peter Garrett in another way. He doesn't know what party he should be in. There again, neither of them are as confused as Senator Leyonhjelm. He's been a member of the Labor Party, the Liberal Party and the Shooters Party. He's currently a member of the Liberal Democratic Party which was originally the Outdoor Recreation Party, and when he contested Benelong, he was from the Liberty and Democracy Party. He'd be a good fit with Clive in the United Australia Party.

Edited by - Zac on 29 Jan 2019 13:58:18
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22229 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 29 Jan 2019 :  13:59:12  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
He did retire but I think he's trying another fight...
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9779 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 29 Jan 2019 :  19:28:13  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm confused. Mundine? Which Mundine - or do you mean Garrett? Or do you mean the Leyonhjelm vs Hanson-Young fight? That's got a few rounds to go yet.
Go to Top of Page

bigem
A polar bear

Australia
15994 Posts
joined 22 Jun 04

Posted - 30 Jan 2019 :  00:15:42  Show Profile Send bigem a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I will just leave it at 'rat's okay!

New Commodore Hey! So you used your own money? Would you like to buy a used bridge?
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9779 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 30 Jan 2019 :  06:13:44  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No worries, Em. When it comes to politics and news, lots of people only notice the bits they want to notice.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 30 Jan 2019 :  06:57:28  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I was talking about Warren Mundine joining the Liberal camp after being a 'Labor' man. I think he is a 'Garrett' - joining the wrong party despite their beliefs

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9779 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 31 Jan 2019 :  06:11:26  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don't think the retirements on either side will have much affect on the next election, but other factors will. I can't see anything other than a great big loss for the Coalition in the upcoming Federal election. All polls are predicting it, the Liberals and Nationals are both more unpopular than at any time I can recall, the Coalition is currently governing without a majority - and Labor only needs a 1% swing to gain government. The Coalition holds 4 seats with a less than 1% majority, and 8 with less than 2%. A 5% swing (which is around what polls are predicting) would see 22 seats go to Labor. However, swings are never consistent across the country, so the Coalition may well lose a lot less than 22 seats, but OTOH, it could lose a lot more. It'll be interesting to see how the new "unaligned" candidates go in their various electorates, especially seeing how Kerryn Phelps went against Malcolm Turnbull. There's Zali Steggall against Tony Abbott, Julia Banks against Greg Hunt, and Oliver Yates against Josh Frydenburg. They're all "safe" Liberal seats - but so was Turnbull's seat of Wentworth.

Things are looking pretty hopeless for the Coalition atm, but they'll probably get worse by election day.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 31 Jan 2019 :  07:19:44  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I see someone else won't be returning for the Libs next election - another Minister gone - things must really stink inside the Libs at the moment, worse than the Rudd/Gillard/Rudd era

Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14226 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 01 Feb 2019 :  06:29:09  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Zali's an interesting one....."I'am really just a small l -Liberal who believes in climate change and social progress"...Hilderbrand asks on radio ABC...."the question must be asked, why didn't the LNP pick up such a quality candidate?"....well,in the LNP....selection is based on merit...not gender!...unless you are a woman it seems....but "socially progressive and economically conservative" and female......shouldn't Zali just have joined that party she is currently boasting she has never ever voted for? Seems like a good fit to me....anyways...she picks up 10,000 votes she wins...not sure much else will change around here..

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Edited by - REM on 01 Feb 2019 06:29:58
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 01 Feb 2019 :  06:42:47  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I see on last nights that another Lib won't be seeking re-election, these are not old people, these are younger people - hmmmm????

Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14226 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 01 Feb 2019 :  06:57:05  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm excited about the State election too.....Mark Latham is standing to really make a difference....he's sick of unprincipled politicians who have no values, sell us all out and are only in it for themselves.....Mark has been a member of the ALP, The Liberal Democrats....and now One Nation...so he really ought to know!

Edited by - REM on 01 Feb 2019 06:58:46
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17530 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 01 Feb 2019 :  07:30:20  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by REM

Zali's an interesting one....."I'am really just a small l -Liberal who believes in climate change and social progress"...Hilderbrand asks on radio ABC...."the question must be asked, why didn't the LNP pick up such a quality candidate?"....well,in the LNP....selection is based on merit...not gender!...unless you are a woman it seems....but "socially progressive and economically conservative" and female......shouldn't Zali just have joined that party she is currently boasting she has never ever voted for? Seems like a good fit to me....anyways...she picks up 10,000 votes she wins...not sure much else will change around here..

well that's interesting...on the news the other night it mentioned that she had ties with the far left group "getup"

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14226 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 01 Feb 2019 :  08:07:00  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne

quote:
Originally posted by REM

well that's interesting...on the news the other night it mentioned that she had ties with the far left group "getup"

Get up would no doubt view her position as closer to theirs in the Centre than the far right Abbott.....no doubt they would be indicating preferences go to her..,.snow flakes chance in hell she is affiliated with them though

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 5.91 seconds.