V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9776 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 19 May 2019 :  09:27:58  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne

Totally agree....and the big picture won against violence'tnreats and intimidation

Scott is our leader without swipes from the Tony .....Thankyou Zali !!!

There is no big picture, and while the Coalition won, it isn't turning out to be a big win - only a win against what was predicted. The polls were wrong although they had the trend correct, and the numbers were within the margin for error. It is however definitely time to stop putting so much faith in poll numbers now.

FWIW, the Liberal and the National Party's vote actually went down. The Liberal Party's vote was 27.76% of the total vote and the Nats was 4.63%. The total Coalition vote was 41.26%, down 0.52% from the last election. Those numbers are accurate as from 9am this morning, and while there is about 75% of the total vote counted, those percentages will only vary by tiny fractions.

It was Bill Shorten's election to lose - and he lost. Scott Morrison was definitely the better campaigner and was always well ahead as 'Preferred Prime Minister'. I had an attack of hindsight watching the coverage last night, and IMHO the old "hip pocket nerve" was what got the Coalition over the line. Chris Bowen's tax reforms (especially franking credits for retirees) and also Labor fighting against mining when so many voters in Queensland wanted more mines for more jobs were what lost it for Labor.

So Scott Morrison is our PM for at least the next three years. He's shaping up OK. He's a lot more centrist than what could have been going back less than a year. He'll be OK and he has already stated that climate change will be a big part of shaping policy.

The so-called "violence, threats and intimidation" were nothing. Some bloke supposedly with a corkscrew as a weapon, and maybe a couple of other little incidents but there was an increase in dirty tricks all round, and all sides declared it was a dirty campaign. The false emails, the defaced posters and so on didn't do anyone any favours, but there will always be idiots who strangely think that such things are going to help their cause.

Clive ran nowhere. The polls got that right. He got around 3.3% of the vote and no members elected to either house. Thankfully, spending $50, 60, 70 million might con a few idiots, but can't buy much more than that.

Scott Morrison is our PM in his own right, and he can govern with "no wrecking, no undermining and no sniping". Ta-ta Tony. I hope the Coalition gets a clear majority. The more seats, the less effect the minor parties like One Nation can sway things. The Coalition is inching slightly closer this morning. That would be best for Australia, although the Senate will be as difficult for the PM just as it's been for previous PMs from both sides.

Edited by - Zac on 19 May 2019 09:30:59
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22221 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 19 May 2019 :  09:28:09  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So who will it be?
Tanya or Anthony?
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17525 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 19 May 2019 :  09:44:09  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Legendary Gerry

So who will it be?
Tanya or Anthony?

Iím tipping Tanya....but I think Albo would be a better choice

Going to be interesting how this plays out.

Interesting post zaccy...maybe itís simply a difference due to our regions but down south we actually condone violence and vandalism not dismiss it as nothing and it was certainly a talking point down this way

As I mentioned before....if Sarah Hanson young was assaulted, would the perpetrator be labeled a hero ?....I think not, nor should they be.

Anyway, I am sure you will enjoy our conservative government

Ford 2018 champions

Edited by - Trickyonne on 19 May 2019 09:57:31
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22221 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 19 May 2019 :  09:49:28  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

quote:

Totally agree....and the big picture won against violence'tnreats and intimidation

Scott is our leader without swipes from the Tony .....Thankyou Zali !!!

There is no big picture, and while the Coalition won, it isn't turning out to be a big win - only a win against what was predicted. The polls were wrong although they had the trend correct, and the numbers were within the margin for error. It is however definitely time to stop putting so much faith in poll numbers now.

FWIW, the Liberal and the National Party's vote actually went down. The Liberal Party's vote was 27.76% of the total vote and the Nats was 4.63%. The total Coalition vote was 41.26%, down 0.52% from the last election. Those numbers are accurate as from 9am this morning, and while there is about 75% of the total vote counted, those percentages will only vary by tiny fractions.

It was Bill Shorten's election to lose - and he lost. Scott Morrison was definitely the better campaigner and was always well ahead as 'Preferred Prime Minister'. I had an attack of hindsight watching the coverage last night, and IMHO the old "hip pocket nerve" was what got the Coalition over the line. Chris Bowen's tax reforms (especially franking credits for retirees) and also Labor fighting against mining when so many voters in Queensland wanted more mines for more jobs were what lost it for Labor.

So Scott Morrison is our PM for at least the next three years. He's shaping up OK. He's a lot more centrist than what could have been going back less than a year. He'll be OK and he has already stated that climate change will be a big part of shaping policy.

The so-called "violence, threats and intimidation" were nothing. Some bloke supposedly with a corkscrew as a weapon, and maybe a couple of other little incidents but there was an increase in dirty tricks all round, and all sides declared it was a dirty campaign. The false emails, the defaced posters and so on didn't do anyone any favours, but there will always be idiots who strangely think that such things are going to help their cause.

Clive ran nowhere. The polls got that right. He got around 3.3% of the vote and no members elected to either house. Thankfully, spending $50, 60, 70 million might con a few idiots, but can't buy much more than that.

Scott Morrison is our PM in his own right, and he can govern with "no wrecking, no undermining and no sniping". Ta-ta Tony. I hope the Coalition gets a clear majority. The more seats, the less effect the minor parties like One Nation can sway things. The Coalition is inching slightly closer this morning. That would be best for Australia, although the Senate will be as difficult for the PM just as it's been for previous PMs from both sides.

I don't think Clive is at all worried about not winning any seats. For mine, he entered the election with one thing on his mind - his Alpha North coal mine and power station. It's right next to Adani's Carmichael mine and really is dependent on Adani getting up. It's much larger than Adani and worth squillions, so his $50-80 million he has reportedly spent is nothing. He was gambling on Labor not getting up.

Edited by - Legendary Gerry on 19 May 2019 09:50:53
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22221 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 19 May 2019 :  10:09:41  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wow!
I wonder why southerners condone violence?
It really does nothing for anyone - apart from some unlucky people losing their lives and others their freedom.
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9776 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 19 May 2019 :  10:12:54  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
LG, maybe that explains Clive's "Do you think I give a stuff..." remarks. It doesn't explain his further remarks about gaining the Prime Ministership, but waddling around bull-****ting and looking like a fool is an odd way to get his way with a coal mine. If that was his aim, now that his "party" has gone nowhere he should have a laugh and tell us the truth.

PS to T-onne:
quote:
down south we actually condone violence and vandalism
I don't try to correct your word usage, spelling, grammar, punctuation etc any more - but "condone"? I like it, but could you possibly mean something opposite to "condone"? "Condemn", maybe?

Edited by - Zac on 19 May 2019 10:26:08
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17525 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 19 May 2019 :  11:42:31  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry auto correct on my phone

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9776 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 19 May 2019 :  12:02:11  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's a worry when auto-correct changes words to opposites. Could "violence, threats and intimidation" possibly be somewhat more like "gentleness, protection and encouragement"? I feel better just thinking they could be.
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11158 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 19 May 2019 :  12:12:59  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The newer, younger voters didn't really change the order all that much.

After doing six days work of pre polling and yesterday, I am ****ed.
Go to Top of Page

Jam3s
Team Manager

2769 Posts
joined 02 Mar 13

Posted - 19 May 2019 :  12:13:03  Show Profile Send Jam3s a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

That's a worry when auto-correct changes words to opposites. Could "violence, threats and intimidation" possibly be somewhat more like "gentleness, protection and encouragement"? I feel better just thinking they could be.

No of course not, the overwhelming minority must be used to generalise close to half the Aussie population, didn't you know? I also enjoy how the Murdoch media has suddenly become left wing during this election.

Edited by - Jam3s on 19 May 2019 12:14:30
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17525 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 19 May 2019 :  12:35:28  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Cheer up boys...could be worse, we could have woken up to a Bill Shorten lead government
Only kidding

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

karter
Team Manager

11736 Posts
joined 21 Sep 04

Posted - 19 May 2019 :  12:38:41  Show Profile Send karter a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

Autocorrect does some weird stuff at times. Changed "Yagoona" into "Tampons" for instance. Personally, I don't see the similarity.
Go to Top of Page

the undertaker
Team Manager

New Zealand
2965 Posts
joined 08 Nov 09

Posted - 19 May 2019 :  12:44:13  Show Profile Send the undertaker a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karter

quote:
Originally posted by Zac

Autocorrect does some weird stuff at times. Changed "Yagoona" into "Tampons" for instance. Personally, I don't see the similarity.

Until you tried to use a Yagoona
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9776 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 19 May 2019 :  12:45:32  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Murdoch's influence is more imagined than real, and that probably goes for other media as well. Any bias from any form of media reinforces what people choose to believe rather than shape their thinking. Maybe a tiny part of the population need someone in the media telling them what to think, but most people can think for themselves, regardless of what media they follow.

quote:

Anyway, I am sure you will enjoy our conservative government

I quite possibly will. I won't be swayed by the past few years of the whole Abbott, Turnbull, Dutton, etc. mess, and I'll hope that this Morrison government is a new kind of conservatism.

In my 70 years, I have lived with 21 years of Labor governments and 49 years of conservative governments, so I'm more used to living with conservative governments. The more important thing to me is not the Liberal ideology, but more how the different governments manage that ideology. When I read the ideals of the Liberal Party as set out by Menzies I agree with almost all of them, but I disagree with how some of those governments have interpreted those ideals.

There have been good, bad and indifferent governments from both sides. All have had good, bad and indifferent oppositions to work with. Nothing has changed with this election, and I hope and want this one - and it's opposition, to be better than most.

NB: The thing about auto-correct is that it's dead easy to correct.

Edited by - Zac on 19 May 2019 12:54:32
Go to Top of Page

karter
Team Manager

11736 Posts
joined 21 Sep 04

Posted - 19 May 2019 :  12:56:49  Show Profile Send karter a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by the undertaker

quote:
Originally posted by karter

quote:
Originally posted by Zac

Until you tried to use a Yagoona

I recieved a text saying "I'm not far from Tampons "

So I'm thinking "Ok, how do I reply to that?"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.75 seconds.