V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

willsy
V8 Taxi Driver

Australia
3165 Posts
joined 21 Nov 07

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  07:53:01  Show Profile  Visit willsy's Homepage Send willsy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The Libs might come across bad on TV from where we see them, though still I am keen to see how they go with running things away from the PC speak, than having the current government. The polls seem to lean towards this too as I see it.

I just don't want Labor to succeed in their current from, it just hasn't worked in many levels. Without the Libs showing what they can/cant do until actually voted in, it seems that others are willing them to have a go to suck it and see, rather than have no change.

The problem I see is that Labor just seem to have no answers when trying to dig themselves out of holes all the time, and creating future problems with mismanaged promises. Sure the Libs could be the same, but until they are in we can only assume by their bumbling speeches and the like, but then behind closed doors they could potentially do ok.

Labor needs a change right now, but then it will give the opposition plenty of ammo leading up to the election. Maybe they should just cut their losses and get sorted for a big crack at the following election?

Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  10:16:18  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Gee it is such a shame that that lunatic leader of the Greens, Milne has given Labor the flick, I am starting to think that there is a god after all

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

rabbits
Team Manager

Australia
5035 Posts
joined 19 Aug 03

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  11:27:30  Show Profile Send rabbits a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Apparently Labor are 'celebrating' over it!
I got sent an email with some stuff about Abbott in it - some may have seen it - you might care, you probably don't, but I have no problems at all when you compare the info in it to the current PM....
The author might surprise you as he is generally seen as someone who like no-one.

Who is Tony Abbott?

Overheard last week: "It's such a shame there isn't someone other than Tony Abbott as alternative Prime Minister.
We think the Gillard government is bad for the country, but it would be better if we had another Opposition leader to vote for."

It caused me to ask why that view might exist given Abbott's background, and I wondered if it might be that people do not know his history.
So, I have put together some information which might help get a better understanding of the man.

Abbott graduated from the University of Sydney with degrees in Bachelor of Laws (LLB) and Bachelor of Economics (BEc).
Then he became a Rhodes Scholar at Queens College Oxford UK in Politics and Philosophy.
He also won a boxing blue at Oxford.

He married Margaret in 1987 and has three daughters.
He is a member of the congregation of the Catholic Church.

He was involved in student politics, but beyond that, biographer Michael Duffy, wrote that during his student days he "........saved a child who was swept out to sea.
Another time, he helped save children from a burning house next to a pub where he was drinking.
On each occasion he disappeared before he could be properly thanked".

He is a member of Manly's Queenscliffe SLSC, and a member of the New South Wales Rural Fire Service,
both of which he joined before it was politically expedient to do so.

He spent several weeks teaching in remote Aboriginal settlements in Cape York in an effort 'to familiarise himself with indigenous issues'.

If you are wondering where some of the negativity attributed to Tony Abbott comes from,
go on to the Net and have a look at the comments which followed, 2 years ago, when he was asked by the Women's Weekly
"What advice would you give your three daughters on sex before marriage?"
He told the magazine: I would say to my daughters, if they were to ask me this question
it is the greatest gift you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it up to someone lightly."

Yet, if you were to read many of the comments on the Internet and the print media at the time, you could be forgiven for thinking he was attempting to impose his will on all females in Australia, had ranted against women, had argued for Muslim like chastity, and so on...................

See for yourself - Google it! Gillard's response was to accuse Abbott of "lecturing women"???

I have also included a video of Abbott where he commented on, in what seems to me to be quite a balanced fashion, "climate change" yet the title of the video suggests he has been extreme in "denying climate change and advocating carbon tax". See what you think.
http://youtu.be/oPpQisoZqx4

Then have a look at the longer interview from which this original excerpt was taken
http://youtu.be/ZoCKhNr8Atk

Abbott has had a history of being told by 'ABC types' that he lacks compassion, does not understand homosexuality or homosexuals, avoids situations where he might need to face up to gay relationships, and so on. Again, because he was not prepared to reveal personal issues of others (ethics, principles,?), he did not speak about his own sister's lesbian relationship and the part he played in supporting her. It would have been an easy defence for him, but in line with his principles and values, he chose not to use it.

Granted, he is not a super smooth, off the cuff, speaker, and does not fit the orator mould.
But when he is compared to the glib tongues and untrustworthiness of Gillard, Rudd, Swan, etc.,
it is not difficult to determine which attributes are more important for the leadership of Australia.

After Abbott completed his studies, he became a journalist for The Bulletin and also the Australian.
For a time he was plant manager for Pioneer Concrete, then became press secretary for the then Opposition Leader, Dr John Hewson.
He was elected to Parliament in 1994 at a bi-election. He has held various Ministerial posts and his actions in those roles are a matter of public record . His work ethic is unquestioned.

He was dismayed at the policies of former leader Malcolm Turnbull relating to ETS, and following widespread disaffection with Turnbull's stance among Liberal Party members, threw his hat into the ring, as did Joe Hockey, for leadership of the Liberal Party. Abbott was successful.
At the time, the polls were running strongly against the Liberal Party (in the 40% approval range), while Kevin Rudd enjoyed figures around 60%
Within a short space of time, with Abbott as leader, those figures changed to such a degree that Rudd was replaced in the now infamous "faceless men" coup which installed Gillard.
Since that time, Abbott has maintained constant focus on the ever widening circle of disasters associated with the Gillard government to the stage where support for that government now hovers around the 30% mark.

Abbott, strikes me as a person of integrity, he has values in which I too believe, and ethics based on his Christian beliefs.
I would much rather place my trust in someone who, in his actions, has shown he is what he says, rather than someone who will say anything to gain a prospective advantage for themselves.

BY Mark LATHAM, Former Leader of A.L.P

Shoot that to **** if you like, but I know I will be more comfortable with someone who is more rounde, more experienced, more qualified, and has more diversity to his background than either Gillard, Swan and Rudd.
Go to Top of Page

the undertaker
Team Manager

New Zealand
2965 Posts
joined 08 Nov 09

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  11:59:01  Show Profile Send the undertaker a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for that rabbs, it's good that sometimes we let the facts get in the way of the story. Now we await the replies of the naysayers.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  13:36:39  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by the undertaker

Thanks for that rabbs, it's good that sometimes we let the facts get in the way of the story. Now we await the replies of the naysayers.

as produced by Mark latham - give me a break, Latham, like Richardson are so anti-Labor it is not funny.

Personally I would have rather had Latham than Gillard (or Rudd) as PM back in his day, he was a 'true believer' but he got burned by the Party the same as Rudd, the difference between the 2 is that at least Latham got out of the Party to create the mischief, Rudd is still inside doing it. At least on this front Latham has more honour.

Latham is bitter and twisted with all things Labor, so his recomendation is no recomendation at all.

Where are all the shoddy things Abbott has done? and there are quite a few, this is not a 'balanced' appraisal at all, it is pissing on the Labor party - full stop.

You right wingers couldn't wait to stick you boots into him when he was leader and straight after, all of a sudden now he is the knower of everything, give me a ****en break.

Edited by - Trev on 20 Feb 2013 13:39:08
Go to Top of Page

Peak Revs
Transporter Driver

65 Posts
joined 05 May 06

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  15:28:28  Show Profile  Visit Peak Revs's Homepage Send Peak Revs a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
nek minit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLQelVvIRIA
Go to Top of Page

rabbits
Team Manager

Australia
5035 Posts
joined 19 Aug 03

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  20:34:35  Show Profile Send rabbits a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hahaha Trev - seriously.... That could have been written by Mahatma Ghandi and it wouldn't matter - all it is is a list of where Abbott has been and what he has done, but no, we better jump on the fact it is written by someone without credit ( in your eyes)...

Scared it has made Gillard look stupid, are you mate????

I know who the better human being is out of the two and even though he might sound like a bumbling fool, he is more clever than Ridd, Gillard and Swan put together - he is probably just trying to work out how to dumb down what is going through his mind so the simple idiots can understand him.....
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17195 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  20:34:37  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
hahahahahaha....

just on the nine news update....

Julia Gillard has done a major backflip (who knew she could do them??) and will now honour the hospital agreement (don't know if that just applies to Vic??)...

can anyone say "holy crap there's an election coming and i better do 1 thing i promised before i get shown the door"?

Go to Top of Page

rabbits
Team Manager

Australia
5035 Posts
joined 19 Aug 03

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  20:48:39  Show Profile Send rabbits a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Cash handouts are next - they've worked before, so lets do that again....

You can ramble on about Latham and whatever it was that Abbott supposedly did 15 years ago ( or whatever - nothing like gripping onto the past -seriously, who cares??!! Is that you've got!!??? ) the fact is its it's 20th Feb 2013 and the ALP are a deadset circus act that is an embarrassment to this country

Edited by - rabbits on 20 Feb 2013 20:52:08
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17195 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  20:51:28  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
thing is if she (and current gov't) had actually stood for something and delivered on something worthwhile instead of stuff like this folk like myself may not be looking at her and Labor in such a light.

Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  21:25:32  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You have all forgotten, we got the Government we voted for, full stop.

Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13313 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  21:39:34  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Two words that kills that story Rabs and it is a story.

Mark Latham. No axe to grind there.

Abbott, strikes me as a person of integrity, he has values in which I too believe, and ethics based on his Christian beliefs.
I would much rather place my trust in someone who, in his actions, has shown he is what he says, rather than someone who will say anything to gain a prospective advantage for themselves.

The above paragraph kills any credibilty the Latham story has.

Tony Windsor said in an attack on Abbott that Abbott would have sold his arse to become PM and even floated the idea of an ETS.
Abbott never had anything to do with the garabge that went on about Pauline Hanson either.
Oh and Latham was also one of Abbotts major detractors when Abbott slashed a billion dollars off the health budget.

No dull axes around here. Lathams already ground them

On Abbotts education and qualifications.
Some of the most dimwitted people i've meet had university degrees as well

On Abbotts economic credentials. Our Rhodes scholar alternative PM called the GFC a hiccup in the world money market.
That hiccup has seen the biggest write offs in the worlds history, but bull crapping your way through life to discredit somebody else is all he's got and he may become the PM but it won't be too long before the voters tire of his crap and he will be shown the door

Don't give that **** knuckle the senate

Oh and Rabs. Cash handouts. Thats a bit rich.
Howard invented middle class welfare and at his last election was well on his way of giving out more than any other government in our history till he got the arse

ONLY LITTLE BOYZ WEAR BOWTIES

Edited by - bigcol on 20 Feb 2013 21:53:49
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  21:45:06  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by rabbits

he is probably just trying to work out how to dumb down what is going through his mind so the simple idiots can understand him.....

you seem to have no problem, no other person can understand the idiot.

Why have 'they' banned him from doing live interviews???????????

Edited by - Trev on 20 Feb 2013 21:45:47
Go to Top of Page

willsy
V8 Taxi Driver

Australia
3165 Posts
joined 21 Nov 07

Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  07:51:31  Show Profile  Visit willsy's Homepage Send willsy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Its kind of ironic that there is many on here wanting to berate and attack Abbott with petty names and focus on that negative, whilst these same people complain about Abbott doing this at Juliar??

What ever your thoughts are on Latham, I am picking that list of credentials of Tony he supplied is not made up? Can still attack Latham, but its not a bad list of achievements behind Tony either way...

Labor supporters can cling onto the feeling they have lost because its a popularity contest that Abbott and his mob have won through negative publicity. I actually give the Australian Voters a lot more credit than that, and simply actually don't like Julia and how Labor is doing. If you feel Abbott comes across as a bumbling idiot all the time on on TV, and the others in the Libs come across as moronic people, how can they be winning a popularity contest then? If this was the case, would you put some movie star Ronald Regan type at the head of the party and go on cruise street?

Labor are being smashed in the polls because they are performing poorly, not making promises happen, and have a leader that appears to be getting desperate. They are not being smashed in the polls because Abbott says Julia is going bad, it is because they actually are and he is being backed up by them giving him the ammo.

Who knows what Abbott and Co will really perform like if/when in. I agree going by their public performances it could be a bumpy ride, but then again once the doors are closed maybe they actually are able to use their credentials well? I am one that is willing to give it a go, I don't want to see all my living cost keep soaring as they currently are, and cant see it being any worse.

One thing I am really interested in is my in-laws vote. They are staunch Labor supporters, but they cant stand Julia. They will not vote for her, and I am not sure what they will do... It will be the first time ever they will not vote for Labor, I wonder how many are like this?

Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  08:55:07  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by willsy

If you feel Abbott comes across as a bumbling idiot all the time on on TV, and the others in the Libs come across as moronic people, how can they be winning a popularity contest then?
This is quite simple Willsy, the Liberals are not winning the popularity contest Labor are losing the contest, why? Go to trickyonne's 'swinger' thread and read what Albert wrote, it is spot on.

quote:
Originally posted by willsy

One thing I am really interested in is my in-laws vote. They are staunch Labor supporters, but they cant stand Julia. They will not vote for her, and I am not sure what they will do... It will be the first time ever they will not vote for Labor, I wonder how many are like this?
I am sure they (and you know this), but they are not voting for Julia, they are voting for their local member (unless of course Julia is their local member), if the local member they vote for is Labor and that person wins their local election then that could add up to Labor holding onto Government.

Edited by - Trev on 21 Feb 2013 08:59:01
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 13.61 seconds.