V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

AlbertM
Crackpot

12530 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  21:33:59  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bundy5

quote:
Originally posted by AlbertM
Howards policies became unsustainable and Labor now looks like the bad guy either spending to maintain the welfare or winding it back.

How could Howard's policies be unsustainable if they were running a surplus and had no government debt?

Missed the bit where Howard had record revenue and sold assets did you?

For example, People are now spending less since the GFC and saving more. That means that the GST revenue takes a hit.

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  22:36:50  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

quote:
Howards policies became unsustainable and Labor now looks like the bad guy either spending to maintain the welfare or winding it back.

How could Howard's policies be unsustainable if they were running a surplus and had no government debt?

Missed the bit where Howard had record revenue and sold assets did you?

So they were unsustainable because Howard had too much money coming in and didn't know what to do with it he decided to give us tax cuts and handouts to industry after he had accounted for services...not sure I see where it was unsustainable.

The current government, on the other hand, running massive deficits and debt levels and trying to roll on through with its big platform policies - now that is unsustainable my friend :)

quote:
For example, People are now spending less since the GFC and saving more. That means that the GST revenue takes a hit.

The other reason why people are tightening their belts is because they feel less secure with unemployment rising.

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  22:46:46  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Your ****wit mate Can do is a Can't Newman has done more than his fair share about people feeling secure about their employment

ONLY LITTLE BOYZ WEAR BOWTIES

Edited by - bigcol on 28 Feb 2013 22:47:45
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  23:01:10  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bigcol

Your ****wit mate Can do is a Can't Newman has done more than his fair share about people feeling secure about their employment

And how do you propose we reduce our debt up here?

You only have three options: reduce spending which involves making some public servants redundant or increase taxes or sell public assets (not sure how many are left thanks to your mate Bligh)

Your choice.

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  05:40:30  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Maybe you 'baby boomers' can work till your 70

We are on the way to that, going by your post and posts that follow it, many missed the bit where that idiot Rudd lifted the retirement age to 67 in 2009, it doesn't fully come into place until 2023.

quote:

The current government, on the other hand, running massive deficits and debt levels
geez this argument makes me so ****ing mad, ALL Governments (if they wanted to save their countries from the GFC) had to spend, stimulating the economy was/is the only way to stave off a disaster and people like you (the uneducated I like to call them) think the Government did it for fun. What the Labor Government did (since recognised world wide - EXCEPT by many Australians) was to help us from the problems facing Greece, Italy, America and many other countries in the Northern Hemisphere. Maybe you would have been happier if we took the Howard/Costello approach to it, sell off everything and drive us right down the drain FFS.

If there was no GFC and the Labor Government did what they did then I would be as angry as hell as well BUT that is not the case, so you (and others) bleating on about it just makes you (and others) look ignorant. I have already acknowledged that there were parts they didn't do well, but there were many more parts of the stimulus that were very good, like stimulating the building industry, that was a master stroke IMHO

I reserve the right to arm bears

Edited by - Trev on 01 Mar 2013 05:49:47
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  07:11:14  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks, Trev.

That's the déjà-vu moment.

EDIT: For anyone interested, here's some light reading for you. It's not from that awful right-wing media. It's not from some egghead economist, or anyone else with a biased point of view (like some here ) It's a balanced and reasoned review from the Treasury of the Australian Government. http://www.treasury.gov.au/PublicationsAndMedia/Publications/2011/Economic-Roundup-Issue-2/Report/The-Australian-economy-and-the-global-downturn-Part-1-Reasons-for-resilience
If it's all too much to read, the overall reasons given for Australia's resilience to the GFC are:

(1) Australia entered the GFC in a far stronger position than most other countries.

(2) The resilience of Australia's financial system, particularly the banks.

(3) The structure of Australia's economy, in that it has a relatively small manufacturing sector, and a large commodity sector.

(4) The performance of Australia's major trading partners, including (especially) China.

(5) Government response, including fiscal stimulus.

There is considerable debate about whether fiscal stimulus by pouring money into the system helped. Other countries did the same thing, but it didn't work for them. Telling us what would have happened if the government hadn't thrown so much money into the economy is speculation.

Edited by - Zac on 01 Mar 2013 08:32:00
Go to Top of Page

karter
Team Manager

11736 Posts
joined 21 Sep 04

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  08:47:13  Show Profile Send karter a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Zac, you're talking sense. That's a waste of time in this company.

Howard spent all Trev's money. That's that. Even before he was elected. Even after Rudd was elected, it was still Howard spending all that money.

Howard caused the GFC. Howard was responsible for 911. Howard caused the drought. Howard cause... well you know, everything that Trev whinges about all day. No doubt Howard gave Trev alzheimers.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  09:58:05  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karter

Zac, you're talking sense. That's a waste of time in this company.

Howard spent all Trev's money. That's that. Even before he was elected. Even after Rudd was elected, it was still Howard spending all that money.

Howard caused the GFC. Howard was responsible for 911. Howard caused the drought. Howard cause... well you know, everything that Trev whinges about all day. No doubt Howard gave Trev alzheimers.

Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot

12530 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  14:58:32  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

So they were unsustainable because Howard had too much money coming in and didn't know what to do with it he decided to give us tax cuts and handouts to industry after he had accounted for services...not sure I see where it was unsustainable.
So you think Howards spending could have been sustained through the GFC and now with less revenue coming in?

quote:
The current government, on the other hand, running massive deficits and debt levels and trying to roll on through with its big platform policies - now that is unsustainable my friend :)
Probably why government spending is being wound back. But then you libs cry Labor isn't looking after the people.

quote:

The other reason why people are tightening their belts is because they feel less secure with unemployment rising.

When were we debating why people are saving? It's just and example why tax revenue has fallen.

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  18:56:21  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

You only have three options: reduce spending which involves making some public servants redundant or increase taxes or sell public assets (not sure how many are left thanks to your mate Bligh)

Your choice.

There is a 5% natural attrition rate in the Public service.

All Numb Nuts Newman had to do was tell his ministers no new employment.
But it didn't stop him buying a heap of office chairs from another country at $550 plus per chair or keeping that other oxygen their Caltibiano on full pay while suspended for his corruption

While i'm no fan of Clive Palmer he reckons that the debt that Campbell Screwman and Costello made up isn't anything bad as what they say and we'll never know if it is or it isn't because the Treasury has been told if they go public with any figures they're out of a job.
If anybody knows it would be Clive seeing he paid the LNPs way at the last election.

He's a ****ing genius old Can Do Is A Can't.
Our economy has gone backwards 2.5% because of his slash and burn rubbish.

ONLY LITTLE BOYZ WEAR BOWTIES
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  00:19:33  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

quote:

Your choice.

There is a 5% natural attrition rate in the Public service.

All Numb Nuts Newman had to do was tell his ministers no new employment.
But it didn't stop him buying a heap of office chairs from another country at $550 plus per chair or keeping that other oxygen their Caltibiano on full pay while suspended for his corruption

While i'm no fan of Clive Palmer he reckons that the debt that Campbell Screwman and Costello made up isn't anything bad as what they say and we'll never know if it is or it isn't because the Treasury has been told if they go public with any figures they're out of a job.
If anybody knows it would be Clive seeing he paid the LNPs way at the last election.

He's a ****ing genius old Can Do Is A Can't.
Our economy has gone backwards 2.5% because of his slash and burn rubbish.

What do you want to see this state burn to the ground?

FFS get a grip we need to reduce the debt levels and one of the ways to do this is to cut back the public service so that it can get somewhere near an efficient level of performance.

What are we paying? Close to 5 billion in interest payments each year for the debt that we are required to service, how many jobs do you reckon that sort of amount would support each year?

quote:

quote:

So you think Howards spending could have been sustained through the GFC and now with less revenue coming in?

Why does that matter?

It's a new government and regime when Rudd was elected with new funding priorities - all I know and this is a response to Trev as well is that the Labor party over-reached; it spent too much.

I agree stimulus was needed to be injected into the economy at the time of the GFC but not the amount and method that the Federal Government granted - it was over the top and poorly executed.

We were insulated from the worst of the GFC - we had strong employment; strong fiscal position; strong monetary position compared to other OECD countries and were further protected by strengths in our mining sector and links to China (as Zac's links point out) - there was no need for Rudd to spend the money (our surplus) the way he did.

He was (along with Swan) way out of his depth when it came to deciding what was in our nation's economic best interests.

Edited by - bundy5 on 02 Mar 2013 00:29:03
Go to Top of Page

Madaz
Team Manager

Australia
5056 Posts
joined 21 Mar 07

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  21:34:27  Show Profile Send Madaz a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

Heard an interesting quote from Eddie Maguire today:

"How do you put the point across to people that in Australia at the moment we have got low inflation, low unemployment, low interest rates, we've got through the GFC, the share market is coming good. Every indicator would suggest we're actually in Shangri-La at the moment, yet people still think we're going around in a third world country."

2018 Fantasy League Overall Champion
2017 Fantasy League Tournament Champion
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  22:03:41  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Madaz

"How do you put the point across to people that in Australia at the moment we have got low inflation, low unemployment, low interest rates, we've got through the GFC, the share market is coming good. Every indicator would suggest we're actually in Shangri-La at the moment, yet people still think we're going around in a third world country."

It's all relative - compared to where we were pre-GFC, we have gone backwards pretty dramatically.

Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  10:08:57  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Madaz

It's all relative - compared to where we were pre-GFC, we have gone backwards pretty dramatically.

And that makes us different from.....?

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  10:23:20  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Did anyone watch Gillards presentation at the UWS yesterday, I didn't watch all of her presentation mostly coz I had other things to do and partly because it was Western-Sydney centric.

But I reckon she is an impressive speaker, no notes, no tele-prompters, she has a gift in oration.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 12 seconds.