V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 General Libs vs ALP Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 589

AlbertM
Crackpot

12532 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  11:25:56  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bundy5

quote:
Originally posted by Madaz

Heard an interesting quote from Eddie Maguire today:

"How do you put the point across to people that in Australia at the moment we have got low inflation, low unemployment, low interest rates, we've got through the GFC, the share market is coming good. Every indicator would suggest we're actually in Shangri-La at the moment, yet people still think we're going around in a third world country."

It's all relative - compared to where we were pre-GFC, we have gone backwards pretty dramatically.

Growth has slowed, not gone backwards. The Australian economy is still in the positive numbers, despite QLD's efforts to drag it down.

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford

Edited by - AlbertM on 04 Mar 2013 11:26:44
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  12:23:34  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

It's all relative - compared to where we were pre-GFC, we have gone backwards pretty dramatically.

and what would you have preferred?

and what did you expect to happen?

I reserve the right to arm bears

Edited by - Trev on 04 Mar 2013 12:24:09
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  21:24:26  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by REM

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Madaz

Heard an interesting quote from Eddie Maguire today:

"How do you put the point across to people that in Australia at the moment we have got low inflation, low unemployment, low interest rates, we've got through the GFC, the share market is coming good. Every indicator would suggest we're actually in Shangri-La at the moment, yet people still think we're going around in a third world country."

And that makes us different from.....?

See the thing is that prior to the GFC, we were already one of the top rating economic countries in the world and then after the GFC, once all the apocalyptic doom and gloom from the socalists predicting the end of capitalism went away, we were still one of the top rating countries in the world.

It wasn't some sort of miracle that we kept our country on top, it was mostly because our fundamentals were strong - low debt, high interest rates (compared to the rest of the world - which inevitably increased our dollar because everyone started to invest their money here), booming resources trade, strong links to China, high employment, banking system the envy of the world, etc

If it wasn't for Howard and Costello, to have a more than one term Labor government in power before the GFC, we would have been even more ****ed

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.

Edited by - bundy5 on 04 Mar 2013 21:25:32
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  22:13:44  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Full of ****.

Most of what you go on about here was introduced by Keating

Howard and Costello also came in while interest rates were on their way down and were on their way up when voted out.
They also left us with higher cost of living expenses that we'll never get back and housing in Australia is now some of the most un-affordable in the world
They governed while there was a world wide boom and had it easy.
The only way they got debt down was by selling off the assets. It wasn't their brilliant management of the economy and they raised more through taxes than any other government in history

Here's another one of your LNP **** ups
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/axed-skilling-queenslanders-for-work-scheme-was-making-billions-of-dollars-finds-deloitte-report/story-e6freon6-1226452927283

ONLY LITTLE BOYZ WEAR BOWTIES

Edited by - bigcol on 04 Mar 2013 22:26:36
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14227 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  22:18:48  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bigcol

Full of ****.

Most of what you go on about here was introduced by Keating

Howard and Costello also came in while interest rates were on their way down and were on their way up when voted out.
They also left us with higher cost of living expenses that we'll never get back and housing in Australia is now some of the most un-affordable in the world
They governed while there was a world wide boom and had it easy.
The only way they got debt down was by selling off the assets. It wasn't their brilliant management of the economy and they raised more through taxes than any other government in history

Thanks Col...Keating sure built us a great economy huh! Though you also forgot to mention the Howard Govts failure to invest in infrastructure during a boom time.....'asleep at the wheel' is the term most often used...for the Howard Govt economic legacy...

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  22:35:47  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trev

But I reckon she is an impressive speaker, no notes, no tele-prompters, she has a gift in oration.

She is a modern day Paul Keating

As for comments that Keating brought us everything that I said - high employment, booming resources, low debt, lower interest rates, stable banking system as at the end of the Howard's term in government, you would have to be delusional as it was very much the opposite under the king of rhetoric's reign.

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.
Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot

12532 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  00:13:24  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So...Other then debt nothing has changed then.

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  01:35:37  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by AlbertM

No much has changed - real wage growth rather than stagnant growth; years of sustained economic growth; tax reform; banking reform - independence of the resever bank- all keating was ever good for was the deregulation of the dollar but it wasn't revolutionary as a conservative government would introduce it anyway.

IMO Keating had ideas I'll give him credit for that, more than what Gillard could ever dream of, but he like many other labor leaders that were both before and after him, failed in their execution of their ideas.

The labor party has always struggled to juggle the need to be social reformists with the need at critical times such as now for financial restraint.

Edited by - bundy5 on 05 Mar 2013 01:36:39
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14227 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  07:01:50  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by AlbertM

No much has changed - real wage growth rather than stagnant growth; years of sustained economic growth; tax reform; banking reform - independence of the resever bank- all keating was ever good for was the deregulation of the dollar but it wasn't revolutionary as a conservative government would introduce it anyway.

IMO Keating had ideas I'll give him credit for that, more than what Gillard could ever dream of, but he like many other labor leaders that were both before and after him, failed in their execution of their ideas.

The labor party has always struggled to juggle the need to be social reformists with the need at critical times such as now for financial restraint.

Real wage growth=mining boom, economy groing=mining boom,tax reform....well, I concede much increased cost of living still hurting families from the GST,banking reform? Independence of reserve bank!!!....are you ****ing kidding....no Govt tried to intimidate the Res.Bank more than Howard.....alseep at the wheel!....still all piss and wind....ol mate!

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Go to Top of Page

rabbits
Team Manager

Australia
5035 Posts
joined 19 Aug 03

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  08:17:20  Show Profile Send rabbits a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Is Keating challenging Howard this next election?
Huh?

Maybe I need to go back and read the last few pages to see what the hell you blokes are on about....

It is still 2013, isn't it???
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  08:21:01  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
and now we have that i**t Abbott going crook coz the Government want to tighten the 457 visa's, Labor want to control who comes in and bringing what skills, they don't want people in here with a certain skill set when there are Aussies with the same skill set who are out of work.

He really is a tool, he is attacking based on 'racism', seriously, how could anyone vote for this man

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9780 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  08:57:36  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
*Sigh*

All this reminiscing is making me all misty-eyed for the wonderful days of the Liberal Party and Sir Robert Menzies. He was always just... there. He was such an impressive speaker, no notes, no tele-prompters, a gift in oration, and such a beautiful speaking voice...

Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  10:30:05  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Love ya work Zac

ONLY LITTLE BOYZ WEAR BOWTIES
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  10:35:48  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trev

and now we have that i**t Abbott going crook coz the Government want to tighten the 457 visa's, Labor want to control who comes in and bringing what skills, they don't want people in here with a certain skill set when there are Aussies with the same skill set who are out of work.

They only make up a very small percent of the skilled workforce and industry are crying out for them as there are holes in the skills that we Aussies have, there is no need to ban them outright; just limit them to an appropriate number that still gives Aussies a chance. Just another example of the unions holding sway over the Government.

Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5741 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  11:37:47  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

They only make up a very small percent of the skilled workforce and industry are crying out for them as there are holes in the skills that we Aussies have, there is no need to ban them outright; just limit them to an appropriate number that still gives Aussies a chance.
Isn't that what she is planning, plus focussing on skills shortage areas or did I mis-hear her this morning on the news.

I think you spend too much time listening to dribble from Abbott and not hearing what she is saying

Edited by - Trev on 05 Mar 2013 11:42:57
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 589 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.84 seconds.