V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 V8Supercars Australia
 V8Supercar Series
 Wildcards in 2012
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wombat_00
V8 Champion

Australia
1065 Posts
joined 07 Jan 03

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  16:42:55  Show Profile  Visit Wombat_00's Homepage Send Wombat_00 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Do you think any team will run a wildcard in selected rounds in 2012 ?

I'm thinking no but Triple Eight may run a wildcard at the AGP support races if they can get everything sorted.

Choices:

Yes
No
Maybe

(Anonymous Vote)

rps788
Team Manager

Australia
1982 Posts
joined 17 Jul 07

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  16:57:54  Show Profile Send rps788 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
well they can only do Wildcard at Sandown and Bathurst but judging by previous years i doubt there will be any

main game teams will only do it if a name driver and sponsor comes along "like Denyer and Shannons did with the kellys"

Development teams have a championship round at bathurst so doing wildcards adds to the cost plus u need have a spare FG or VE and there aren't to many of those floating around outside the main game squads

_Mamg

Edited by - rps788 on 08 Jan 2012 16:58:31
Go to Top of Page

RG-31-88
Pit Crew

Australia
148 Posts
joined 29 Nov 10

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  18:29:49  Show Profile  Click to see RG-31-88's MSN Messenger address Send RG-31-88 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
whats your reasoning for a triple eight wild card at the grand prix wombat?
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

7666 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  19:37:18  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by rps788

well they can only do Wildcard at Sandown and Bathurst but judging by previous years i doubt there will be any

Didn't they change the rule to allow wildcards at selected 'marquee' events like Clipsal, Homebush etc.. as well and the enduro's (to allow an 'Ambrose Sydney 2009' type entry to not be blocked by a rule again)
Go to Top of Page

Wombat_00
V8 Champion

Australia
1065 Posts
joined 07 Jan 03

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  19:45:51  Show Profile  Visit Wombat_00's Homepage Send Wombat_00 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I meant throughout the season not the endurance races and triple eight had planned to run David Coulthard at the agp support races in a third car until he was signed to commentate the f1 which ruled him out of the support races that was one of Roland Danes goal along with running a Fujitsu series car when he stepped back from triple eight to run a wildcard
Go to Top of Page

Mr.McPhillamy
Team Manager

Australia
6325 Posts
joined 03 Jan 09

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  20:23:03  Show Profile Send Mr.McPhillamy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I like the idea - but none of the people who you'd want are game enough or rich enough to do it.

The only guys who will take would be 888/FPR - which completely (IMO) destroys the whole underdog, weekend warrior in the big race thing (which is the appeal of a DVS wildcard IMO).

still . . . having said all that - more cars on the grid = win, nothing is bad about extra cars.

--

I also think a big negative for the really small teams is that since 2008 - there have been hardly any retirements - the days of cranking are top-15 by staying out of trouble are long gone - Bathurst is just a winton sprint round that goes for a bit longer.

_Mvolvo

Edited by - Mr.McPhillamy on 08 Jan 2012 20:25:40
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

7666 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  20:32:35  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wombat_00

I meant throughout the season not the endurance races and triple eight had planned to run David Coulthard at the agp support races in a third car until he was signed to commentate the f1 which ruled him out of the support races

I think that was more of an idea with Coulthard's name just thrown out there, rather than a chance of it actually happening. Was there any actual quotes thrown around?

I can't see David Coulthard driving a car unlike anything else he has driven (his DTM Merc is more of prototype sportscar) with no testing, and most of all being prepared to drive round at the back of the pack infront of his employers (BBC, Red Bull and Mercedes-Benz)
Go to Top of Page

Joss
V8 Champion

1452 Posts
joined 20 Dec 09

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  18:05:25  Show Profile Send Joss a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Since the sport is pushing into America in 2013, I suspect someone will be given a lot of incentive to run an American-themed wildcard for Bathurst.

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Scorpio
Team Manager

Australia
2196 Posts
joined 23 Oct 06

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  14:23:02  Show Profile  Click to see Scorpio's MSN Messenger address Send Scorpio a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Doubtful most teams would be focusing on car of the future, put as much resources as they can into them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2014 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds.