No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 International Series
 IndyCar
 Indycar Grand Prix of St. Petersburg **spoilers**
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HDT05
Team Manager

Australia
6165 Posts
joined 15 Feb 11

Posted - 25 Mar 2012 :  23:26:48  Show Profile Send HDT05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Will Power says claiming the pole for the eighth Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg is a "good start," which he hopes six months down the road will lead to a championship finish. 

Power set a circuit-qualifying record of 1 minute, 1.3721 seconds in winning the pole for the IZOD IndyCar Series' season-opening race March 25 (12:30 p.m. ET on ABC).

Power has started from the pole in the race on the 1.8-mile, 14-turn temporary street circuit for three consecutive years. He won in 2010 and was runner-up to Dario Franchitti in 2011.

Click it: Starting lineup from the three rounds of qualifications

“I’m very happy to get the first pole for Chevy as they return to the series,” said Power, the series championship runner-up the past two seasons who posted the 25th pole start of his Indy car career. “We worked hard over the winter. (Team owner) Roger (Penske) has been pretty keen on winning this championship after the last couple of years.

“It’s only the beginning of the weekend. We need to have a good strategy for the race and see what comes.”

Click it: Watch Will Power interview

Ryan Briscoe will start alongside his Team Penske teammate on the front row, while Andretti Autosport's Ryan Hunter-Reay and James Hinchcliffe will occupy Row 2. It's the best start in the race for all three (Hinchcliffe didn't compete in 2011).

"It’s certainly fun with all the engines in the new car, all the manufacturers going head to head so St. Pete always puts on a good show and we’re really happy to be here," Hunter-Reay said. We’re proud of Chevy being in the top five. It’s a good way to start the season in the beginning to a long trek. Tomorrow’s the only real day that counts, and who knows what to expect, so should be exciting for the fans."

Helio Castroneves and Simon Pagenaud qualified fifth and sixth, respectively, in the Firestone Fast Six. But because Pagenaud's Schmidt-Hamilton Motorsports team made an unauthorized Honda engine change in practice a day earlier, he will be penalized 10 spots on the starting grid.

Scott Dixon, who was 0.0022 of a second out of qualifying for the Firestone Fast Six, will join Castroneves on the third row on the racetrack.

“Something didn't feel right, and I shut it down to be on the safe side. It is what it is, and that's racing,” Pagenaud said. “The HP car is nice to drive around this street circuit of St. Pete. I love street circuits; they provide you so much adrenaline rush. I still think we'll be good."

Pagenaud was fifth on the time chart in the first practice session. After Pagenaud shut off the car and guided it into the pit box in the afternoon session, general manager Rob Edwards decided to end the practice early to allow the team and Honda engineers to analyze data and prepare the car for qualifying.

Honda Performance Development engineers decided an engine change was in order, but it fell outside the parameters of an approved engine change (not meeting its mileage limit or is damaged), which triggered the penalty. Pagenaud was quickest of the 26 cars in the morning session (1:01.8929).

Castroneves also had an issue; he was unable communicate with the crew in the second round.

"So, unfortunately I went over the limit of the car and end up hitting Turn 9 and I thought it was over," he said. "We weren’t able to get in the top three, but the guys came fully focused to fix the car and rear suspension and in seven minutes they switched the entire suspension and we were able to go back there. Burt certainly happy for Team Penske having three cars in the top five."

Chevy chase

Six cars powered by Chevrolet were in the Firestone Fast Six.

"This is an exciting day in St. Pete and Chevy is back in IndyCar with five of the top six in the field running Chevrolet,” said Jim Campbell, the U.S. Vice President Performance Vehicles and Motorsports for Chevrolet. “When you have three engine manufacturers, the level of competition will go up and it has. It’s great for the series and great for the fans. In my days in motorsports for Chevrolet this is a very big day.”

Of note

Franchitti will start ninth. "Our setup wasn't where it needed to be obviously," he said. "I don't think its by accident the Chevy guys were up there. We'll just keep our heads up and get the work done. We still have some tricks up our sleeve." ... Rubens Barrichello will start 13th in his IZOD IndyCar Series debut. "I am playing catch-up all the time. We unfortunately lost the morning session yesterday and I am still learning the circuit while the rest of the field is going flat out. I am pleased though; I improved this morning and today was the first time I have ever used the red (alternate) tires. I can never be pleased with 13th or 14th, but we have to set targets and my targets are high." ... Seven different teams were represented in the top 12 (Round 2).

http://www.indycar.com/en/News/2012/March/3-24-IICS-qualifying.aspx

Just how I wanted the season to start, Chevrolet powered cars up the front!

Peter Brock 1945 - 2006 RIP #05
RIP Dale Earnhardt 1951 - 2001 #3
RIP Dan Wheldon 1978 - 2011
RIP Jason Richards 1976 - 2011

rps788
Team Manager

Australia
2004 Posts
joined 17 Jul 07

Posted - 26 Mar 2012 :  10:41:29  Show Profile Send rps788 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Results from autosport.com

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98395

Results - 100 laps:

Pos Driver Team/Car Time/Gap
1. Helio Castroneves Penske DW12-Chevrolet 1h59m50.9863s
2. Scott Dixon Ganassi DW12-Honda + 5.5292s
3. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti DW12-Chevrolet + 7.5824s
4. James Hinchcliffe Andretti DW12-Chevrolet + 10.6526s
5. Ryan Briscoe Penske DW12-Chevrolet + 11.7854s
6. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt-Hamilton DW12-Honda + 31.2623s
7. Will Power Penske DW12-Chevrolet + 34.6582s
8. EJ Viso KV DW12-Chevrolet + 35.5943s
9. Charlie Kimball Ganassi DW12-Honda + 43.1425s
10. Justin Wilson Dale Coyne DW12-Honda + 44.3141s
11. Josef Newgarden Fisher Hartman DW12-Honda + 44.8275s
12. Graham Rahal Ganassi DW12-Honda + 45.1080s
13. Dario Franchitti Ganassi DW12-Honda + 45.8468s
14. Marco Andretti Andretti DW12-Chevrolet + 1 lap
15. Alex Tagliani Herta DW12-Lotus + 1 lap
16. Oriol Servia Dreyer & Reinbold DW12-Lotus + 1 lap
17. Rubens Barrichello KV DW12-Chevrolet + 2 laps
18. Ed Carpenter Carpenter DW12-Chevrolet + 2 laps

Did not finish:

JR Hildebrand Panther DW12-Chevrolet 96 laps
Mike Conway Foyt DW12-Honda 75 laps
Sebastien Bourdais Dragon DW12-Lotus 73 laps
Takuma Sato Rahal DW12-Honda 73 laps
Katherine Legge Dragon DW12-Lotus 59 laps
Simona de Silvestro HVM DW12-Lotus 22 laps
Tony Kanaan KV DW12-Chevrolet 21 laps
James Jakes Dale Coyne DW12-Honda 19 laps

also highlights from the race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EBSB664fKw&feature=g-all-u&context=G2d6ae1aFAAAAAAAAAAA

while it was a shame that neither power or brisceo won it was good to see Castroneves back in the winners circle

Edited by - rps788 on 26 Mar 2012 23:17:44
Go to Top of Page

Wrighty05
Last of the Big Bangers

Tonga
7357 Posts
joined 25 Aug 03

Posted - 26 Mar 2012 :  11:29:49  Show Profile  Click to see Wrighty05's MSN Messenger address Send Wrighty05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Power pitted under first yellow and it didn't really work pout for him.

What did you think of the new cars?

Rubens was underwhelming.

RIP05

_Mholden

RIP LJ - loved and never forgotten.

"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

The Peter Brock trophy is now where it belongs.
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10443 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 26 Mar 2012 :  18:21:58  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Loved the new cars, they look even better in person than they do on the TV (they had them on display at the 500 last year).

St Pete has never been a big passing circuit, but the new 'normal' rules for defending your position this year made it abit more racey

It was a classic Penske strategy, run each car on a different one and see which one works. In Helio's case it was his, he looked very quick all day.
Go to Top of Page

Mr.McPhillamy
Team Manager

Australia
6472 Posts
joined 03 Jan 09

Posted - 26 Mar 2012 :  19:13:36  Show Profile Send Mr.McPhillamy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don't know if I'd say I like the look of the new cars - but I don't dislike them - they're just a bit of a mouthful to swallow, as you cannot deny they are a bit of a mess!

But they certainly sound beautiful and if you get one of sound or looks right, you have a winnner!
Go to Top of Page

farr02
V8 Champion

Australia
1093 Posts
joined 23 Jun 03

Posted - 26 Mar 2012 :  20:07:55  Show Profile Send farr02 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Nice win be Helio, always love to see him climb the fence is a good specatcle.
Go to Top of Page

HDT05
Team Manager

Australia
6165 Posts
joined 15 Feb 11

Posted - 26 Mar 2012 :  20:57:20  Show Profile Send HDT05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Great to see Chev win, and good to see Helio return to the winners circle...good to see him climb the fence, was sad when he banged on the fence and Dan's sign....but it was fitting. Great job!

The cars seem to look ok, but I've never really hated them anyways...:)

Peter Brock 1945 - 2006 RIP #05
RIP Dale Earnhardt 1951 - 2001 #3
RIP Dan Wheldon 1978 - 2011
RIP Jason Richards 1976 - 2011
Go to Top of Page

HRTKLR
No.1 Ford Fan

Australia
9580 Posts
joined 20 Dec 02

Posted - 27 Mar 2012 :  00:24:15  Show Profile Send HRTKLR a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I watched the race but couldn't really see what caused Power to fall out of contention. Sure he got hung out wide on one of the restarts but that aside he just seemed to lack pace.

Can anyone shed any light?

As for Rubens - new car, new team, new track, new series. I'm no fan but he needs time!
Go to Top of Page

gasking
Formula Ford Driver

414 Posts
joined 24 Mar 09

Posted - 27 Mar 2012 :  14:10:07  Show Profile  Visit gasking's Homepage Send gasking a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Don't mind the car, can't say it looks better, definetly different. I thought the race was interesting enough. Was strange not seeing Will work his way to the front.

One thing that i noticied, where is the push to pass? I thought that added abit of difference between this series and others and enjoyed the battles the guys had when useing it.
Go to Top of Page

Brightman
V8 Champion

Australia
981 Posts
joined 16 Jan 12

Posted - 27 Mar 2012 :  17:28:43  Show Profile Send Brightman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
After watching the highlights I was surprised at Powers lack of pace and ability to pass others and get through the field, as im so used to it from previous years. I guess the new cars have evened out the competition a bit as the teams dont know the machinery as well as last years car.

Im slowly getting use to the new car, although looking from a front on angle they look really nice.

2016 v8central fantasy champion
'That's what they call a control tyre'

_Mholden
Go to Top of Page

farr02
V8 Champion

Australia
1093 Posts
joined 23 Jun 03

Posted - 27 Mar 2012 :  21:42:41  Show Profile Send farr02 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The front looks fine its the backend Im having a hard time adjusting too
Go to Top of Page

Mr.McPhillamy
Team Manager

Australia
6472 Posts
joined 03 Jan 09

Posted - 27 Mar 2012 :  23:11:25  Show Profile Send Mr.McPhillamy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
ps. Rubens ran out of fuel, which dropped him a fair bit - fuel conserve has been a large part of US open wheel racing for decades now - something he'll have to get good at!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.97 seconds.