V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 V8Supercars Australia
 V8Supercar Series
 Steve Johnson Sacrificed Results in 2010?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

TristanN47
V8 Champion

Australia
830 Posts
joined 08 Oct 11

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  14:02:33  Show Profile Send TristanN47 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just an article about Junior on the V8 website. Talking about his performance, the team, etc etc ect

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/championship/newsarticle/junior-johnsons-journal/tabid/70/newsid/12297/default.aspx

This seems a bit odd...
quote:
In fact I sacrificed my results in 2010 to help James Courtney win the championship, so itís one of those things where I see the bigger picture.

Even as a Fordie, that made me laugh.

#5 Winterbottom #6 Mostert

_Mford

Iggle Piggle
Formula Ford Driver

Australia
355 Posts
joined 16 Dec 11

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  14:21:02  Show Profile Send Iggle Piggle a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Umm...nah, will let it go through to the keeper without playing a shot

_Maluminium-bonnet
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
14869 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  14:34:07  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
doesn't really go into it does it... but it's not so hard to see that you can have one guy trying stuff out to improve the car/new parts etc while going behind a 'lead driver'...

sure Steve hasn't got a lot of runs on the board but if he has been the workmule that would go some way to explaining it..

Go to Top of Page

bruce1
Team Manager

Australia
2152 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  15:16:50  Show Profile Send bruce1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Steven and Dick are smart enough to know that Steve will never be a contender, so if he can help the team in other ways that shows what a great team player he is.

Well done S.J.
Go to Top of Page

rps788
Team Manager

Australia
1982 Posts
joined 17 Jul 07

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  15:27:44  Show Profile Send rps788 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
if steve did what was the best for the team he would have step down by now

_Mamg
Go to Top of Page

EgoFG
Formula Ford Driver

Australia
470 Posts
joined 16 Oct 08

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  16:24:53  Show Profile Send EgoFG a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bruce1

Steven and Dick are smart enough to know that Steve will never be a contender, so if he can help the team in other ways that shows what a great team player he is.

Well done S.J.

+1
Go to Top of Page

HDT05
Team Manager

Australia
6165 Posts
joined 15 Feb 11

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  16:32:06  Show Profile Send HDT05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wouldn't surprise me....

Peter Brock 1945 - 2006 RIP #05
RIP Dale Earnhardt 1951 - 2001 #3
RIP Dan Wheldon 1978 - 2011
RIP Jason Richards 1976 - 2011
Go to Top of Page

stompin
Formula Ford Driver

Australia
459 Posts
joined 03 Dec 09

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  17:05:02  Show Profile Send stompin a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by EgoFG

quote:
Originally posted by bruce1

Well done S.J.

+1

+2

Moving **** around to maximmise your return is just normal business practice.

If D.J had some balls still he would have left his son with out a drive a long time ago and stood down and let S.J run it. Once again it sounds like DJR are running on a shoe string budget in this game you cant be paying of debt from the previous season other wise you'll be left behind in the r&d for the next season.

IMHO SJ and Cashney/WD would have made a serious contender for the enduro races.

Gas grass or ass no one rides for free!
Go to Top of Page

Iggle Piggle
Formula Ford Driver

Australia
355 Posts
joined 16 Dec 11

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  18:29:32  Show Profile Send Iggle Piggle a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah, and I sacrificed a result with Angelina Jolie for Brad Pitt's benefit.

_Maluminium-bonnet
Go to Top of Page

bruce1
Team Manager

Australia
2152 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  19:13:52  Show Profile Send bruce1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by rps788

if steve did what was the best for the team he would have step down by now

Why?

It's his lively hood, Jim Beam, Reed, Coke, Ford ect, must be happy enough.

Who would take his place, can they afford a top gun?
Go to Top of Page

Muz
Team Manager

Australia
5623 Posts
joined 06 May 08

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  19:19:27  Show Profile  Visit Muz's Homepage Send Muz a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It sounds to me like DJR put 2011 resources into 2010 to win the Championship and had figured that championship success would provide a return on the budget taken for the 2010 campaign. I also think they banked on the 2010 series champion hanging around to consolidate funding and general PR activities. Instead, their bankable commodity walked out the door.

McLaughlin later described the final corner: "I don't know what happened there. I just plucked it in first, gave it some jandal and **** yeah!"
Go to Top of Page

Mr.McPhillamy
Team Manager

Australia
6333 Posts
joined 03 Jan 09

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  19:30:28  Show Profile Send Mr.McPhillamy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You never know - he might have done the little things like not electing to pit on the beneficial lap so as not to force James to queue, etc.

I believe him - there are dozens of things over the 2nd half of the season during a race that you could do to help James out a little bit and sacrifice 5-10-20-30-50pts over a weekend, and you would never, ever know by watching the race as a spectator.

Steve has done nothing over the last 15 years to make me think he is a liar - and I think he is quite a great driver, definately grid worthy - so I'm gonna roll with him on this.

_Mvolvo

Edited by - Mr.McPhillamy on 29 Mar 2012 19:32:58
Go to Top of Page

HRTKLR
No.1 Ford Fan

Australia
8912 Posts
joined 20 Dec 02

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  20:35:40  Show Profile Send HRTKLR a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ironically, James Courtney's doing the same thing for GT this year (oh and last year too).
Go to Top of Page

Iggle Piggle
Formula Ford Driver

Australia
355 Posts
joined 16 Dec 11

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  20:50:17  Show Profile Send Iggle Piggle a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.McPhillamy

You never know - he might have done the little things like not electing to pit on the beneficial lap so as not to force James to queue, etc.

Not too sure of this - were there many, if any races where Jnr was in front of JC when it came time to pit?

quote:

I believe him - there are dozens of things over the 2nd half of the season during a race that you could do to help James out a little bit and sacrifice 5-10-20-30-50pts over a weekend, and you would never, ever know by watching the race as a spectator.

What are some examples? Serious question, would be interested to know how he could have other than testing stuff that was not proven. Better way to support would be to take points from the other championship contenders, which he was not able to do with the exception being holding out JW in the final race at Homebush - which is not sacrificing points.

quote:

Steve has done nothing over the last 15 years [snip]...

_Maluminium-bonnet

Edited by - Iggle Piggle on 29 Mar 2012 20:50:54
Go to Top of Page

Muz
Team Manager

Australia
5623 Posts
joined 06 May 08

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  21:25:48  Show Profile  Visit Muz's Homepage Send Muz a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Iggle Piggle

quote:

Not too sure of this - were there many, if any races where Jnr was in front of JC when it came time to pit?

No, except for Townsville...oh wait...

McLaughlin later described the final corner: "I don't know what happened there. I just plucked it in first, gave it some jandal and **** yeah!"
Go to Top of Page

HDT05
Team Manager

Australia
6165 Posts
joined 15 Feb 11

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  21:29:58  Show Profile Send HDT05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Muz

quote:
Originally posted by Iggle Piggle

quote:

No, except for Townsville...oh wait...

Is that the one where they crashed into each other?

Peter Brock 1945 - 2006 RIP #05
RIP Dale Earnhardt 1951 - 2001 #3
RIP Dan Wheldon 1978 - 2011
RIP Jason Richards 1976 - 2011
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2014 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds.