No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Sports
 Football - NRL, AFL, Soccer, etc...
 RIP Jon Mannah
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Muz
Team Manager

Australia
6869 Posts
joined 06 May 08

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  12:01:40  Show Profile  Visit Muz's Homepage Send Muz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sad day for the Mannah family. RIP Jon, a promising young footballer.

------------

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/parramatta-player-jon-mannah-has-passed-away-after-battle-with-hodgkins-lymphoma/story-e6frf7jo-1226556331338

quote:
Parramatta player Jon Mannah has passed away after battle with Hodgkin's Lymphoma
Josh Massoud From: The Daily Telegraph January 18, 2013 10:44AM 16 COMMENTS

JON MANNAH HAS SADLY PASSED AWAY AFTER HIS BATTLE WITH HODGKIN'S LYMPHOMA. THE DAILY TELEGRAPH

< Prev Next >
PARRAMATTA players and staff are in mourning today, following the passing of prop Jon Mannah overnight.

RECOMMENDED COVERAGE
Jon Mannah tribute gallery
NRL mourns Jon Mannah
Magical bond of Mannah brothers

The 23-year-old brother of Eels and NSW Origin prop Tim Mannah succumbed to a long battle with Hodgkin's Lymphoma after being diagnosed in 2009.

He passed away at St Vincent's Hospital in Darlinghurst at 4am this morning.

He made a stunning comeback to rugby league with Cronulla in 2011, clocking up a total of 24 NRL appearances before joining his brother at Parramatta last season.

Pics: Jon Mannah tribute gallery

But a relapse early in the year forced Mannah to undergo a second round of chemotherapy treatment, robbing the siblings of the dream to play NRL together.

He had been unable to train during the pre-season as the illness reached its final stages.

"Jonís courage and determination has been a source of inspiration for everyone in Rugby League," NRL Interim Chief Executive, Mr Shane Mattiske, said today.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the Mannah family and with everyone who had the honour of being part of Jonís involvement with the game."

His club side Parramatta said: "The Parramatta Eels send their heartfelt condolences to the Mannah family after the passing of 23-year-old Jon overnight. Such a sad loss."

Mannah's death created a flood of tributes on Twitter this morning:

* "So sad to hear about the tragic passing of John Mannah. Prayers and thoughts are with the whole Mannah family. Life can be so cruel." - Robbie Farah

* "So sad to hear the news of Johnny Mannah this morning!! #RIP pal!!" - Lote Tuqiri

* "@tim_mannah sorry to hear the very sad news about Jon, much love to the family & deepest condolences mate." - Wendell Sailor

* "Thoughts and prayers go out to the Mannah family during this tough time. God has a plan and purpose for everything. @tim_mannah" - Israel Folau

Brothers Jon and Tim were incredibly tight. Tim credited Jon for inspiring his NRL rise, culminating in a NSW Origin jersey.

Magical bond of Mannah brothers

"As much as I tease Jonny and gee him up, in the back of my mind if anyone asks I'll always tell you how tough he is," Tim said in 2011.

"It's one thing to put on a front when you're in front of people and trying to act like everything is alright, that you're doing sweet during treatment.

"But for me to see the way he was at home and see that he wasn't putting on a front, that he was being who he was and staying positive - even in front of his family - that's what inspired me. He wasn't letting anyone feel sorry for him.

"It's not only what he went through, it's the way he handled himself ... That's something I will always respect him for.

"First he inspired me because he was a 19-year-old who was pushing me to do better things on the field, but now it's a whole new story knowing he's been through that and is still bouncing back. That tells me whatever comes my way I should be able to handle it with ease."

Jon Mannah fact box:

Date of birth: September 13, 1989
School: Christian Community High School
NRL clubs: Cronulla Sharks, Parramatta Eels
First grade games: 24
Tries: 2
International honors: Named in Lebanon squad for 2013 World Cup qualifying tournament

The great 2019 poll about whether Tricky should be banned or not ended in favour of Tricky staying, 75% to 25%

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13479 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  10:09:28  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
way to young for that

ONLY LITTLE BOYZ WEAR BOWTIES
Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
7440 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  11:51:15  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Story reminds me a bit of JR. Someone who puts all the effort in the world in, and still gets the short end of the stick. Condolences go to the whole Mannah family.

"Fordís Bathurst winning bonus didnít even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.89 seconds.