No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Australian
 Nostalgia
 Next 7 Sport DVD releases
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Wrighty05
Last of the Big Bangers

Tonga
7381 Posts
joined 25 Aug 03

Posted - 24 Dec 2014 :  12:58:02  Show Profile  Click to see Wrighty05's MSN Messenger address Send Wrighty05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The '87 WTCC Calder is interesting.

A lot of footage I haven't seen before.

Also, lots of periods of no commentary. And if the commentators stuff something up they just try again because they know they'll edit it out of the 1 hour package that went to air.

Mike Raymond calling people "****ers" and Crompton saying "poofters" was funny too.

RIP05

_Mholden

RIP LJ - loved and never forgotten.

"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

The Peter Brock trophy is now where it belongs.
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10460 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 24 Dec 2014 :  14:10:27  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty05

The '87 WTCC Calder is interesting.

A lot of footage I haven't seen before.

Also, lots of periods of no commentary. And if the commentators stuff something up they just try again because they know they'll edit it out of the 1 hour package that went to air.

Yeah, the bit where Neville Hay calls the Ludwig car in trouble with some excitement in his voice, then Mike goes "say it again when we get the car in frame"

They were lucky it was such a spread out race with little 'action' after the first lap demo derby in the rain, it made it much easier to cut it up for the broadcast that night..... as they weren't calling the race properly though it made it all abit hard to follow at times.
Go to Top of Page

Wrighty05
Last of the Big Bangers

Tonga
7381 Posts
joined 25 Aug 03

Posted - 24 Dec 2014 :  15:00:32  Show Profile  Click to see Wrighty05's MSN Messenger address Send Wrighty05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Took Mike Raymond a while to realize that the pitstop for Grice was to rip off what was left of the spoiler and not for a change of rubber.

RIP05

_Mholden

"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11333 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 25 Dec 2014 :  10:01:24  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I got Great Grand Finals and Bathurst 76 today for Christmas and the rest, I assume, are sitting in the Tamworth Mailing Centre waiting to be sent out on Monday. Anyway, I haven't watched the 76 Bathurst race yet as I have spent the morning watching Great Grand Finals. Three very good races from what is now known as Oran Park Town especially the 1990 final round. Although the audio is way ahead of the vision up until the final lap, it did show how a great comparison between the outgoing R31 and the incoming R32 GTR considering that Skaifey almost got lapped by Jim.

Finally got Group A Classics today (still waiting for Dicks Three and Bathurst 79, JB HiFi sent the wrong DVD out and Santas big red truck isn't as fast as his sleigh) and there were some brilliant races on it. The most interesting one is the 87 Calder WTCC round.

It was a good race, but more commentary would have been helpful in some parts but there are some good points about it.

It was great to see a World Touring Car Championship down under even if it only lasted for the year and made a great show case between high calibre international teams and our local ones which is something that hasn't happened until the rebirthing of the 12 Hour as a GT event.

Some arses need to be seriously kicked into gear at Calder Park pronto. The combined oval and road course made a brilliant spectacle. Not only because the idea of touring cars on the Thunderdome was cool, but because it highlighted the strengths and weakenesses of both drivers and the car. If the car was crap on the twisty bits, it made up for it on the banking. Can we have this back please? The combined oval and road course would be brilliant for another 500 and would produce a far better spectacle than Phillip Island, especially if the rumours surrounding Sandown are true.

If Bathurst in 87 wasn't a showcase of Brocks skills, one example at Calder was. Watching the car skip sideways, and then watching Brocky control the slide onto the oval was brilliant to watch.

A question about the Egg and Burger Sierras. They were deemed illegal and thus disqualified from Bathurst, but they were allowed to keep their win at Calder Park. Why was that?

Edited by - CP on 31 Dec 2014 15:48:26
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10460 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 01 Jan 2015 :  01:37:29  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CP

It was a good race, but more commentary would have been helpful in some parts but there are some good points about it.

The race wasn't aired live (other than lap 1 and a lap in the middle of the race) due to Ch7 already having a committment, so during the race they just commentated on the interesting parts to cut it up for that nights highlights....

They did a similiar thing for the Calder 300 in August of that year.... i wonder if that full race is in the Ch7 archives too, or just the 30min highlights?

quote:
Originally posted by CP

A question about the Egg and Burger Sierras. They were deemed illegal and thus disqualified from Bathurst, but they were allowed to keep their win at Calder Park. Why was that?

Purely and simply because they were only protested (ultimatly only by Frank Gardner) on at Bathurst. The cars ran in 'Bathurst' spec at Calder and Wellington (and presumebly at Brno & Silvertone prior to Bathurst), but it was only at Bathurst that a protest was lodged.

When the Bathurst protest result was handed out on the Friday of the final WTCC round at Fuji, Eggenberger lost half a day's practice converting the cars to 'legal' spec
Go to Top of Page

Wrighty05
Last of the Big Bangers

Tonga
7381 Posts
joined 25 Aug 03

Posted - 01 Jan 2015 :  06:45:27  Show Profile  Click to see Wrighty05's MSN Messenger address Send Wrighty05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CP

Some arses need to be seriously kicked into gear at Calder Park pronto. The combined oval and road course made a brilliant spectacle. Not only because the idea of touring cars on the Thunderdome was cool, but because it highlighted the strengths and weakenesses of both drivers and the car. If the car was crap on the twisty bits, it made up for it on the banking. Can we have this back please? The combined oval and road course would be brilliant for another 500 and would produce a far better spectacle than Phillip Island, especially if the rumours surrounding Sandown are true.

If Bathurst in 87 wasn't a showcase of Brocks skills, one example at Calder was. Watching the car skip sideways, and then watching Brocky control the slide onto the oval was brilliant to watch.

I was at that race. Started at "Mount Jane" and floated into the Thunderdome later in the day. What I do remember of it, is that the track couldn't be used today without big screens. One of the great things about Calder was that you could see the entire track from nearly any spot. With the Thunderdome bit added, the cars would disappear for 30 seconds and for those who were spoilt with cars in front of them the whole lap, they didn't like it.

Dad and I walked through the tunnel to enter the Thunderdome mid race. We sat on the outside of turn 1 and 2 (the double left hander onto the dome) with about 50 others. Anyway, we saw Brock's sideways correction and it was just brilliant to watch and he got a fair cheer for it. Better still was next lap when he came around at full noise and nailed it with his arm on the window and gave the entire group a thumbs up and a wave, purely because we all know how close he was to dumping it the lap before. The whole group pissed themselves laughing.
Great stuff.

RIP05

_Mholden

Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10460 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 01 Jan 2015 :  09:11:10  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It was such a shame that it rained prior to the start and all the Aussies decided to take eachother out on the second corner

Grice could only manage 10th starting spot on the wide-open spaces of the Thunderdome...yet a few weeks later on the tight and twisty Wellington he managed to be 4th on the grid hassling the Eggenberger cars...wierd.
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11333 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 29 May 2015 :  19:46:11  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The current issue of AMC which features the new Fury Road Interceptor (along with Topgear and Street Machine) has an interesting V8 Sleuth article in it.

It outlines this yeats 7 Sport releases.............................and they are as follows:

*Bathurst 1980
*Bathurst 1987
*Awesome Amaroo - 1979, '86 and '92 AMSCAR rounds, '89 and '94 ATCC rounds
*Bathurst Shootouts - The Group A Years - '86 to '92 Hardies Heroes/Tooheys Top 10. 1985 doesn't exist in the archives.
*V8 Classics Volume 2 - Barbagallo '93, Bathurst Sprint races '95, Phillip ISland '96.
Go to Top of Page

falcon_cobra
Kiss Fanatic

Australia
8864 Posts
joined 02 Dec 04

Posted - 30 May 2015 :  06:37:50  Show Profile  Click to see falcon_cobra's MSN Messenger address Send falcon_cobra a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
they should have asked the guy on the internet for his copies

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Wrighty05
Last of the Big Bangers

Tonga
7381 Posts
joined 25 Aug 03

Posted - 30 May 2015 :  08:07:55  Show Profile  Click to see Wrighty05's MSN Messenger address Send Wrighty05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah I have '85 Hardies Heroes copied from my VHS!

RIP05

_Mholden

Go to Top of Page

falcon_cobra
Kiss Fanatic

Australia
8864 Posts
joined 02 Dec 04

Posted - 30 May 2015 :  11:26:08  Show Profile  Click to see falcon_cobra's MSN Messenger address Send falcon_cobra a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I used to, until the flood wiped out the whole lot

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Wrighty05
Last of the Big Bangers

Tonga
7381 Posts
joined 25 Aug 03

Posted - 31 May 2015 :  09:22:31  Show Profile  Click to see Wrighty05's MSN Messenger address Send Wrighty05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think I have two or three different copies of it..

Surely they could've tarted one of those up.

Tom's pole lap in '85 should be seen by many

RIP05

_Mholden

Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10460 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 31 May 2015 :  10:50:01  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I wonder if that means the '85 race as a whole has been lost as far as the 7 archives are concerned?

I'm sure they could have found someone's copy of '85 Hardies Heroes, i'm guessing Aaron Noonan probably has it amongst his private collection as many of us do, but i'm assuming they only release what they find in the archives probably for quality reasons mainly?

I'm excited by these 1986 AMSCAR rounds, they've been very hard to come by for some reason.
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11333 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 24 Jul 2015 :  15:41:20  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I know its not a Seven DVD but it is another full race DVD of interest.

To celebrate 25 years of Sydney Motorsport Park, Chevron are releasing the full Nissan 500 on DVD.
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10460 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 24 Jul 2015 :  18:28:35  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CP

I know its not a Seven DVD but it is another full race DVD of interest.

To celebrate 25 years of Sydney Motorsport Park, Chevron are releasing the full Nissan 500 on DVD.

Looks fantastic, my copy of the race is a little snowy in places.

Channel 9 covered the race live on the long lost "Wide World of Sports" TV show on the Saturday afternoon following the 1990 AGP, and had Murray Walker alongside Big Dazza to call the race, with expert comments from Win Percy, a really great commentary team.

Channel 9 did alot of motorsport between 1980 and 2002, alot of local stuff too, makes you wonder what is hiding in their archives...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.19 seconds.