No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Australian
 Historics
 Shannon's Two Days of Thunder
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Henry
Jaded Old Coot

Australia
3368 Posts
joined 12 Feb 04

Posted - 22 Jun 2013 :  22:29:21  Show Profile  Visit Henry's Homepage Send Henry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, day one is done. What a great day's racing! Got out there a little late, but walked into the paddock in brilliant sunshine. I was taken by the Iseki Porsche 962 as soon as I got there, but a walk amongst the garages revealed scores of great old cars.

As the Partner In Crime and I got our bearings, we were serenaded first by the Porsches on track, then sports sedans... we took up our station - between Turns 3 and 6, and from the comfort of the cockpit of my XR8, we took in a couple of great Group N stoushes, The XU-1's were mostly dominant. There were only a pair of V8's in the field, and they just weren't in the hunt.

To my amusement, by the final Group N race, every single Holden in the field was blowing oil smoke through Turn 3...

The Main Event was the trans-Tasman Trans-Am racing. While I missed Race 1, the second T/A race was entertaining all the way through.

John English - who seems likely to be best-remembered for whanging his ex-Moffat XD into the wall below the Dipper during the 1984 Bathurst 1000 - ran away and hid in his Camaro. His lead was sufficient for him to spend a number of laps entertaining the crowd on the pitlan fence with cranking power oversteer onto the front straight.

The rest of the pack was a snarling scrum, with the honours divided evenly across both sides of the Tasman. Thoroughly entertaining, and I can't wait for tomorrow!

Dad once said "son, arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. Even if you're a grand master, playing at your best, the pigeon is just going to **** on the board and then walk around like it won".

Sonic

Australia
17294 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 22 Jun 2013 :  22:56:15  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
sounds like a great time Henry... these 'old car meets' really do have something for everyone and I think if the newer racing fans give it the chance they just might see why some of us 'oldies' do keep on harping about how good they were/are to watch...

Go to Top of Page

Henry
Jaded Old Coot

Australia
3368 Posts
joined 12 Feb 04

Posted - 22 Jun 2013 :  23:02:26  Show Profile  Visit Henry's Homepage Send Henry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I love this type of motorsport event: you can get up close to the action, chat to the drivers who -when they're not busy preparing for the racing - tend to be regular enthusiasts (I would definitely include the event Patron, Jim Richards in this category), and this particular category is a winner... today was the first time I'd ever seen a Pontiac Firebird race... the Trans-am field includes TWO AMC Javelins, Camaros (including a replica of KB's Channel Nine car) and a varied assortment of Mustangs. They truly turn it on!

Dad once said "son, arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. Even if you're a grand master, playing at your best, the pigeon is just going to **** on the board and then walk around like it won".
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds.